His Absence

Towards You

The sun awoke you from your deep sleep as it shone thtough the sheer white curtains. After stretching your hands above your head, you reached over to the water bottle on your bedside table. Today was much better, your ankle wasn't bothering you anymore but you decided it would be better not to put too much strain on it. You got up and stretched and took a sip of water from the bottle next to your bed. Since it was still early, you decided to get some studying done since you hadn't been doing much of that lately.

 

Things have been weird. 

 

Usually you were very serious when it came to your studies. But seeing Jongin after all these years, you’d be lying if you said you weren't caught off guard.It almost felt like middle school again, Jongin always being there, right beside you.

 

Focus. Please focus. Shaking yourself out of your thoughts, you began working.

 

It was 9AM by the time you finished. It was perfect  timing as you had a late class today. After getting your necessary belongings, you headed to the train station. You got on the train and sat down and pulled out Sanctuary by Nora Roberts. This was a book you had just started reading and found it quite interesting. It was about a woman who was receiving intimate pictures of herself from a mysterious stranger. One such picture was of her sleeping, another was of her having dinner. She lived alone, and somebody was sending her these pictures. The scariest thing about it was that these pictures could only have been taken at a close proximity.

 

Although the book wasn’t necessarily a horror genre, it was still very mysterious and thrilling to read. The idea of a stalker still made your hair stand up on end though. Your phone vibrated in your pocket and you jumped a little. Pulling it out, you read the message.

 

 

....................................................................

[Cind] - 9:20 AM, Friday March 4th, 2015.

Look up.

....................................................................

 

You glanced up to see your best friend smiling right across from you.

 

“Yah! How long have you been there?”

 

“Not long” she laughed while walking over to the seat next to you. “I didn’t want to disturb you, your nose was pretty deep into that book” she laughed.

 

“It’s really interesting but creepy at the same time, I can’t stop reading it!” you cheered.

 

“Okay well just be careful” she said.

 

“Careful? About what”

 

“Just make sure you’re still aware of your surroundings. People are weird you know, and studies show rapists are likely to attack someone who isn’t paying attention!” she lectured.

 

You rolled your eyes at her. Cindy was the type of girl that was always kept up with the latest news and statistical studies. Just last week she was explaining to your group that “not ALL types of nuts are good for you” and that “almonds are the way to go people!”

 

“Yes mom, whatever you say” you said sarcastically. Although you knew her lectures were useful (most of the time).

 

“Yah! I’m right okay?”She said. “By the way, what happened to your ankle?” she said with a worried expression.

 

“Oh umm” you didn’t feel like telling her the ‘I sprained it when I was basically peeping at my next door neighbor who also happens to be my first love’ story just yet, so you told her you slipped in the shower.

 

Once you and Cindy arrived at the university you two parted ways. You told her you’d meet her later for lunch and she agreed and gave you a quick hug and went on her way. You decided to quickly stop by the fine arts department to hand in that final student list that you were supposed to hand in yesterday. You went straight to the head club office and handed the list to an elderly secretary who looked like she hated her life. She scowled at you since the due date was yesterday.

 

“It won’t happen again!” you apologized.

 

You walked out of the office and headed towards your class. You walked right pass the main dance studio where you saw Jongin yesterday and stopped in your path.

 

I wonder… would he be here?

 

You nonchalantly took a few steps back and quietly opened the creaky door. There was a few dancers getting ready for a rehearsal, but he wasn’t there. You wondered if he was at school today.

 

Why do I even care? You thought. You straightened your dress and cleared your throat. You glanced at your watch and you had 5 minutes to head to class so you decided to run for it. Somewhere at the back of your mind though, you hoped Jongin was okay.

 

 

 

 

 

Halfway through the lecture Joonmyeon walked into the classroom and apologized for interrupting the class. He had something to discuss with the professor so the professor gave the class a five minute break. While Joonmyeon was waiting for the professor to organize his notes before speaking to him, Joonmyeon made eye contact with you. He mouthed ‘sorry’ and you smiled mouthing ‘don’t worry about it’. He was still worried about last night?

 

How sweet of him. You smiled.

 

Once the professor and Joonmyeon ended their discussion, Joonmyeon walked out of the classroom while giving you a small smile in the process. The professor dismissed the class shortly after.

 

You walked out of the lecture hall and headed for the food court.

 

You almost fell over when a long heavy arm wrapped around your shoulder.

 

“_____-ah! There you are! Have you seen Cindy?” cheered Chanyeol, completely oblivious to the fact that you were struggling to walk under his weight.  

 

“Hyung, you’re crushing her” said Sehun from behind you two. He walked over and moved his hand off your shoulder; you mouthed ‘thanks’.

 

“Ohhh sorry! I guess I sometimes forget you’re more fragile than a guy” he said. He immediately put his arm around Sehun’s shoulder and started messing up his hair.

 

“Hyungg!” Sehun cried.

 

You rolled your eyes but then started to giggle. You saw a group of dancers walk out from the fine arts department behind you and your eyes unknowingly started to search for Jongin. You caught sight of a male dancer with blonde hair and you were just about to walk over to him until you moved closer and realized it wasn’t actually him.  

 

What am I doing? You stopped.

 

Sehun said your name with a hint of curiosity from behind you. “You coming?”

 

You nodded and followed behind Chanyeol. Sehun followed after you but then stopped for a few seconds to glance at the dancers. He narrowed his eyes, then turned around and continued after you.

 

 

 

During lunch, Sehun asked if you had made it home safe last night and you nodded. Joonmyeon stepped in and apologized yet again for not driving you home and you were getting tired of his apologies at this point. You asked him how his Haraboji was feeling and he said that it was just a minor heart palpitation and that his mother over exaggerated as usual. Cindy hearing the term ‘heart palpitation’ immediately began spewing out random medical terms that nobody else seemed to understand. She was trying to assure Joonmyeon that his Haraboji would be just fine, but you thought he looked more confused than assured. Chanyeol was basically drooling at how intelligent his girlfriend is, while Sehun on the other hand, was not listening at all. He seemed upset.

 

 “Why didn’t you call me? I could have picked you up. It was dark out, you didn’t walk did you?” he said quite obviously concerned.

 

“Stop worrying, I was fine” you said, although you appreciated how much he cared for you. “I got a ride so I didn’t walk” you added.

 

“A ride?” said Cindy, while interrupting her own story about stress related illnesses.

 

“Yeah, umm, my neighbor… drove me home”.

 

“Your neighbor?!” they all said in unison.

 

You glanced up from your salad only to notice that they were all giving you a look.

 

“Who’s your neighbor? And how close have you two gotten that he’s giving you rides?” she asked with a hint of playfulness. “What’s his name!” she added.

 

“Ooh let me gossip too! Is he cute?!” said Chanyeol, mocking his girlfriend.

 

She shot him a look which immediately silenced him. You found it hilarious and slightly adorable that she had such power over him.

 

“Guys its nothing like that, he’s just my neigh-“

 

“NAME!” yelled Cindy

 

You sighed. “His name is Kim Jongin”

 

“Jongin you say? Sounds familiar.” said Joonmyeon. “Are you talking about the Kim Jongin who is the leader of the dance team at Royal Oaks?” he asked.

 

He’s the leader?

 

“Yeah, I guess?” you said hesitantly.

 

“Jinjja?” he said surprised.

 

“Hyung, do you know him?” asked Chanyeol.

 

“Well I don’t know him personally, I’ve just heard of him. He’s all my female students talk about, that’s why half of them are failing.” He said. “Even after I revised the lecture material to make it easier!” he added, adjusting his glasses.

 

He’s that popular?

 

“Well he must be quite the catch then” said Cindy nudging you.

 

You rolled your eyes.

 

“I have to go hand in something for a class” Sehun said blankly. He suddenly got up and left.

 

You were about to go after him when Chanyeol suddenly got up and ran after him. They went around the corner and all you saw was Sehun getting abused by the giraffe.

 

“Do you have a class?” asked your best friend. You nodded and you two got up and walked away, waving goodbye to Joonmyeon.

 

While you two were walking you decided you would finally tell Cindy what you’ve been meaning to tell her for a while.

 

 

“WHAT!?” yelled Cindy.

 

“Shh! Please” you said

 

“Jongin is your first love?!” she said quieter this time.

 

“Yeah…” you said embarrassed.  

 

“Wow, this is kind of like fate. I mean you two meeting after so long like this, what are the odds?” she said

 

“It’s not fate, it’s my terrible luck”

 

You explained to her everything that went on with you and Jongin when you were kids. You also told her about the day he left.

 

“Well maybe he had no choice?” she said.

 

“I know, I don’t blame him it’s just…” you hesitated.

 

“I understand. You didn’t confess did you? Now it’s hard for you to face him” she said

 

You nodded.

 

She gave you a small hug and told you everything would be just fine, you were so thankful she understood and didn’t ask you to go into detail. That was one of the reasons you really loved your best friend, she only ever took what she was given.

 

✥✥✥✥

 

After your last class was over you headed over to your locker to grab your lecture notes. You saw that Sehun was waiting by your locker.

 

“Hey.” he said.

 

“Hi.” You smiled. “Why did you walk away like that during lunch?” you questioned.

 

“I… it was nothing, I really did have to go hand something in” he smiled.

 

You opened your locker and looked through the messy pile of papers.

 

“_____-ah?” he said.

 

“Hmm?” you said, still shuffling through the papers.

 

“If you’re ever in a situation like that again, please call me”.

 

You were looking at him now.

 

“Don’t rely on some guy you just met, this world is scary” he said.

 

You wanted to say that you didn’t just meet Jongin, but then decided against it.

 

“I can take care of myself you know” you said, a little harsher than you intended.

 

He stared at you for a few seconds.

 

“I know” he said agreeing. “I just want you to be safe”.

 

You smiled.

 

“Thanks Sehunnie, but this city is pretty safe already. I’ll be fine.” you beamed.

 

He nodded, although still indifferent to your last statement.

 

You got your notes and waved him goodbye telling him that you had to head home and get ready for work. He offered you a ride and you hesitated at first but then agreed since he was on his way out anyways.

 

 

Once you got home you didn’t bother waiting for the elevator and took the stairs instead. You were drenched in sweat by the time you got to your floor and you promised yourself you would never take the stairs again. You took a quick shower and brushed your hair out then let it air dry, it was still dripping a bit but you didn’t have time to dry it. You locked your door and walked to the elevator. While you were waiting, you glanced over at Jongin’s door.

 

Should I see if he’s there?

 

No, why would I do that. You turned back around.

 

You started fidgeting with your fingers then turned around to glance at his door again.

 

Okay, ill just ask why he wasn’t at school. That’s it, and then I’ll leave.

 

You walked towards his door and extended your right fist. You hesitated a bit.

 

Okay just do it you coward.

 

You knocked three times.

 

Oh god, I actually did it.

 

You began to panic and headed for the stairs, you stopped in your path when you heard the door handle turning.

 

He’s home. 

 

 

 


A/N:

The dreaded nini is home, gulp.

How did you like this chapter?