The Decision

Towards You

Today was the last day of semester break and you’d have preferred to spend it lounging around at home, but sadly your friends had other plans. Cindy had asked you to meet her for coffee at 9:00 AM while Sehun, well, you weren’t really sure where Sehun wanted to take you. But the one thing you despised about making plans during semester break was the fact that you were required to wake up earlier than 12pm, and that didn’t sit well with you.

 

It was 8:20 AM and you were still lying in bed. There wasn’t much time left until you were supposed to meet up with Cindy, but for some reason you didn’t feel like getting up from bed today. You rolled over and noticed that the jacket Sehun had lent you last night was crumpled up beside you.

 

I forgot to return this to him.

 

It was nice of him to lend this to you. The rainy season was soon approaching and if you weren’t careful, you’d soon be bed-ridden. Sehun seemed to be more concerned about this fact than you were.

 

I hope he didn’t come down with anything.

 

 

When you finally did get out of bed, it wasn’t because you had the sudden desire to leave your warm bed and embrace the cloudy skies that threatened to ruin your day. It was mostly because your phone was at the brink of combusting in front of your eyes; Cindy was the type to make people suffer if they were late. Sehun had also left you a couple messages asking if you were still up for today. He was always fun to spend time with, so why would you say no? Even so, you weren’t quite sure what this meant. Was it a date? Or were you two hanging out as friends? If you had the guts you would’ve asked him last night, but for some reason you couldn’t get yourself to do it. So you decided today was the day you’d sort out your feelings for him. After today, you’d hopefully know how you felt about Sehun; you were determined to find out. It was now or never.

 

After you finished brushing your teeth you glanced at your phone; 9:01 AM

 

Well .

 

If you ran you’d most likely make it, but you weren’t exactly a track and field star. In high school alone you generally avoided anything that required a large amount of exertion, or any exertion at all. It’s not that you were lazy; it’s just that you were physically challenged. And when it came to coordination, well you might as well be taking a nap on the field. Even when you tried to be supportive to your fellow team members, you’d most often drop the ball or trip and go flying into the opposing teams’ territory. You were that kid that got smacked in the face with dodge balls most often, and the one who got picked last for teams. Sports wasn’t your thing anyway, you favored the arts and music. Dancing was another aspect of the arts that you enjoyed, but once again, if only you could get past your two left feet.

 

After sprinting out of your apartment you decided public transportation would be the best option at this point. You’d still be late, but this way you could blame your lack of punctuality on the transit system (which by the way was horrendous to begin with.)

 

Just as you caught sight of the bus across the street, it was already leaving. Even if you ran, by the time you got there it would’ve been long gone.

 

Now what.

 

Before you could think of your next plan of action, a black Mazda decided to block your path. It strangely resembled Sehun’s Mazda.

 

Wait… that is his car.

 

You realized once you took a closer look. He rolled down the window and leaned forward. “Need a ride?”

 

Hell yes I do.

 

Without further question, you opened the passenger door and sat inside. You did wonder though, what was he doing here?

 

 

✥✥✥✥

 

 

“Sehun! Drive faster please.” You pleaded.

 

He nodded and stepped on it. “Why are you in such a hurry anyway?”

 

“I’m late.”

 

“So? It’s not like you’re meeting with the president. You’ll be fine.” He smiled.

 

“Not with the president. But I am meeting with Cindy.” You admitted.

 

He glanced over at you and gave you a ‘oh you really are in trouble’ look. Thankfully after that, Sehun drove a lot faster which meant you got there a lot faster.

 

It was 9:15 AM when you arrived at the coffee shop. Sehun didn’t step out of the car but he said he’d pick you up afterwards. You asked him to pick you up at Cindy’s apartment though, if this was a date you wanted to look good. And given that your style was ‘boring’ as she’d often say, you’d rather she help you get ready then try to dress yourself.

 

Cindy was seated at one of the round bar tables near the window. As you cautiously approached her you were mentally preparing yourself for the screams and punches. Your best friend could get really scary when she was angry.

 

“Cind?” you called out to her.

 

She didn’t answer; she was gazing out the window, completely immersed in thought. This wasn’t like her; she was usually a very talkative person who’s always responsive to her surroundings.

 

“Cindy?” you repeated, placing a hand over her shoulder.

 

She flinched at your touch “Huh. Oh, you’re here.” You titled your head at her as puzzlement covered your face. “Come, sit down.” She smiled.

 

Wait a second. She didn’t scream at me? I’m almost 20 minutes late! Something is up.

 

Unless of course, this was her passive aggressiveness speaking. In which case she was about to explode any second now.

 

“Is there something wrong?” you finally asked, as you put down your bag and sat down in front of her.

 

“I’m not really sure. I need your advice though.” she replied.

 

You nodded, indicating that your entire attention was now on her and her only.

 

“So… Chan asked me to move in with him.” She confessed. Her hands were apprehensively tapping on the table as she waited on your reaction.

 

“Cindy… Thats great!!” you cheered. She seemed to agree as a similar grin appeared on her face, but then it gradually faded.

 

“But.”

 

Your smile followed suit, slowly vanishing with hers.”But?”

 

“I’m nervous.” She admitted. “What if we start to fight more than we do now? Living with someone means you have to compromise on many occasions, and you know Chan doesn’t compromise.” She stated. “It’s usually his way or the highway.” Her eyes were now focused on her lap.

 

Well it’s not like she was lying. Chanyeol did not like to compromise, everyone knew that. He was a spoiled brat every now and then, but more often than not he was the sweetest guy ever. He treated Cindy like a princess and she couldn’t be happier with him.

 

Another smile arose on your lips as you placed your hand on top of hers. “Cind, if he asked you to move in with him, he’s obviously thought things through. Don’t cut him short; he’s not that big of an idiot, right?”

 

She glanced up at you and when you made eye contact you both burst into laughter. Though it was soon interrupted as a waitress placed a cup of hot chocolate on the table, you assumed she must have ordered in earlier.

 

“I love him ___-ah, and I just don’t want to lose him over some stupid argument.” she stated as she took a sip of her drink.

 

“I know, and he loves you.” you smiled as her cheeks turned a light pink color. “Just love him to the best of your ability, everything after that will fall right into place.”

 

She looked as if she wanted to cry when she reached over the table to give you a hug. “Thank you.” she whispered into your ear. When she pulled away, her blush remained.

 

“And another thing…” she gazed at you from beneath her eyelashes.”I’m a little nervous since… you know, we’ll be sleeping on the same bed and all.” She bit her lip.

 

“Oh.”

 

You had assumed that wouldn’t be an issue considering how much PDA they regularly show. In fact, it wasn't a lie that the rest of the group thought the deed was already done-- several times at that.

 

“Cindy, you’re both adults and this is a free country. If you don’t want to do something then you’re free to tell him! I'm sure he'd understand.” you declared, feeling slightly powerful. “And if he doesn’t listen, then you’ve got me! I have this itching powder at home that I could just slip into his-”

 

“No! It’s not that I don’t want to… do it.” She clarified, her cheeks turning red almost immediately. “I’m just nervous.”

 

You pondered the question for a minute in an effort to tap into your own experience-- or in this case, inexperience. "I think that's normal. It's your first time after all."  She let out a giggle at your words and nodded."I don't think it's his first time though." She added, albeit shly. The both of you glanced at one another before laughing one more.

 

“So I should do it? I should move in with him?” her tone clearly showed how thrilled she was, yet she still wanted your say on it? How cute.

 

You nodded and her face brightened up instantly as a squeal left her lips. At least someone had their love life in order.

 

“So what’s up with you? I didn’t get a chance to ask you how things are with Jongin.” She questioned as she came down from her high.

 

Just the sound of his named stirred something strange within you.

 

“Well, for starters. They aren’t.” you replied.

 

Her eyebrows knit up in confusion.

 

✥✥✥✥

 

“Wait What!? Jongin confessed to you and you’re just telling me!?” she looked upset.

 

Well I would’ve told you if you weren’t far off in the mountains making out with your boyfriend.

 

“It doesn’t even matter anymore. I ruined everything.”

 

The look of surprise on her face died down and was quickly replaced with a growing sense of empathy. You told her everything; his confession, your inability to tell him your feelings, how disappointed he looked when you walked away from him. You even told him how he apologized for not saying goodbye; he did everything he should have. Yet, you wanted more; your selfish heart sought after more. And now, he didn’t want you anymore.

 

“Have you tried telling him how you feel? Why don’t you give him a call?”

 

“I can’t bring myself to do it.” You admitted. She put your hand in hers while gently moving her thumb in circles on your skin, much like you had done to her minutes ago.

 

Jongin’s confession was unanticipated, but you hadn’t even told her about Sehun yet.

 

 

“WHAT!?” her yell was earsplitting. Other customers in the coffee shop were now shooting daggers at the both of you. You glanced at them with an apologetic smile, whereas Cindy was a little too occupied. “I can’t believe all this happened while I was away. I’m never leaving you again.” She reached over and dramatically pulled your head into her chest.

 

As your cheek was pressed up against her s, you tried to squirm out of her reach but damn, she was stronger than she looked. When she finally let go you let out a breath of relief.

 

“I don’t know how I feel though. That’s why we’re spending some time together today, so that I can find that out.”

 

She was still in awe. “Two confessions in less than two weeks? You need to tone down your y.” She informed.

 

“Whaa- I’m not y.” You stammered, embarrassment flooding your cheeks without ado.

 

“Mmm-hmm” she smiled.

 

You glared at her and stole a swig of her hot chocolate. “Yah!” she whined. You stuck your tongue out at her and took another big gulp.

 

It’s true though.

 

I’m not y.

 

 

“There, all done!” Cindy cheered. She turned you around to glance at the mirror.

 

Wahh

 

She really outdid herself this time. You wore a simple black shirtdress with black tights and ankle booties; you topped it off with a brown cross body bag. Cindy straightened your hair and put a little bit of eye shadow on your eyelids, although she had to practically pin you down in order to apply it. Lastly, she colored your lips with a maroon red lipstick.

 

“Sehun will go weak in the knees once he sees how y you look with that red lipstick” she cooed.

 

“Stop calling me y!” you made a face at her. “Besides! I don’t want him to ‘go weak in the knees’; this is merely a tester date.”

 

“Whatever you say, y.” Her eyebrows did a little dance and you had to restrain yourself from slapping the sleazy grin off her pretty little face.

 

The sound of tires driving over rocks was heard outside and Cindy turned to you. “It’s time for the main event.” She beamed, while grabbing your arm and pulling you towards the wooden door. She opened the heavy door just as Sehun was making his way up the steps. He glanced up when he heard the creaky door open and abruptly stopped walking, his mouth was slightly parted. Cindy smiled and shoved you by the shoulders towards him.

 

“Well Sehun? Doesn’t she look -umfph.” you covered with your hand. “Enough with that, okay chingu?” you smiled, squeezing her hand hard enough until she let out a defeated cry.

 

Meanwhile, Sehun’s eyebrows were raised as if he’d just seen one of the seven wonders in broad daylight. “You look…”

 

Please don’t say y.

 

“Stunning.”

 

Much better.

 

He led the way to his car while you followed after him. Cindy was standing on her porch dramatically waving at the two of you as if she were your mother and this was her teenager daughter’s first date. Ugh, please stop.

 

“So where are we going?” you questioned as he opened the passenger door for you.

 

“It’s a surprise.”

 

I hate surprises.

 

“I know you hate surprises.” Was he reading your mind? “But you’ll like this one.” He added.

 

“By the way, I didn’t know we were dressing up for this date. I didn’t really try.”

 

So it is a date. Yeah, he really was reading your mind. Although his mind reading skills were remarkable, he was still an amateur when it came to lying. He definitely did try; that aftershave you smelt was a clear example. Not only that, but his hair looked different. Like he’d been trying to style it for hours.

 

The drive was fairly quiet, except for the fact that Sehun was coughing every 15 seconds or so. Crap, he really did get sick. “You caught a cold, didn’t you.” you asked. He glanced over at you and shook his head. “It’s not a cold, the air is smokey tonight.” He smiled.

 

Yeah, Sehun really was a terrible liar.

 

✥✥✥✥

 

“Bowling? This was the surprise?”

 

“The surprise is later; in the meantime I thought we could knock down some pins.” he suggested. “Why, are you scared I’ll beat you?”

 

“Pfft, as if!” you quickly grabbed the bowling shoes he was holding and headed towards the assigned bowling alley. Although you were dreadful at mostly every other sport, bowling was something you were actually quite good at.

 

“Take that!” you pointed a finger towards him.

 

“Oh come on! A strike already?” he groaned, you walked past him while doing a little hair flip. He chuckled and reached a hand out to ruffle your hair but you moved away. “Not so fast, we’re rivals now.”

 

He raised an eyebrow, surprised by your change of mood. But you couldn’t help it; bowling was the one sport you could actually beat someone at. You needed to win, after all those years of pathetically losing, you needed the taste of triumph.

 

Sehun got a gutter ball and you couldn’t help but laugh. “Nice one!” you said in a sarcastic tone. He glanced at you and smiled as your laughter echoed through the bowling alley.

 

After that, Sehun was consecutively cursed with gutter balls. While you on the other hand, were blessed with strikes and the occasional spares.

 

You had won, and victory never felt so good baby.

 

“So since I won, naturally.” You batted your eyelashes at him while he let out another chuckle. “You’re buying dinner.”

 

He was happy to oblige. Although you wanted him to thrash around and throw a fuss, he didn’t do any of the above. He seemed perfectly content, maybe even happy at his crushing defeat.

 

Since the game was over, Sehun suggested you change into your regular shoes while he pays for the game. You nodded and sat on one of the benches in your assigned alley. Your right bowling shoe was tied a little too tight and you swore you’d never let Sehun tie your shoes again. Your concentration was broken by loud screams of amusement. A large group of people were assembled in alley 6 and it seemed like somebody was on a roll. You narrowed your eyes just in time for the crowd to move away and you caught sight of the man.

 

“Jongin…?” you gasped. Your own two feet deceived you as they began walking towards his direction. Suddenly, someone grabbed your arm and your feet abruptly stopped.

 

“Where are you going?” Sehun asked, his eyebrows weaving up in indisputable confusion.

 

You pointed towards alley 6 “I just wanted to see if-” the words on your lips suddenly left you.

 

Alley 6 was empty.

 

Jongin wasn’t there, nobody was there. The bowling alley was closed and you and Sehun were the last customers there.

 

“See what?” he questioned.

 

“…Nothing. Never mind, let’s go.”

 

He nodded and led you out of the building.

 

 

“Chinese take-out sound good?” Sehun asked. You nodded and smiled, but there was still an underlying question at the back of your mind.

 

What was that? Jongin wasn’t really there?

 

I swear I saw him.

 

“So I’ll take that as a no?” Sehun interrupted your thoughts.

 

“Huh, Sorry what?”

 

“I asked if you wanted tofu in the soup.”

 

You did?

 

 

“No thanks.” You retorted. He nodded while the look of confusion still remained on his face.

 

Focus please focus, you’re on a date with Sehun. Please stop thinking of him.

 

After you got take-out, Sehun drove out of the drive-thru and headed in the opposite direction of your apartment. You turned to him with a questioning look. “You still have to see the surprise, remember?” he reminded.

 

You hadn’t remembered. Bowling had got you so riled up that the surprise completely slipped your mind, you wondered what it was.

 

“Alright, the surprise will be on your right in 3…2…1.”  As you turned to your right, your eyes widened.

 

“A drive in movie theatre!?” you gushed. “Sehun how did you-“

 

“One of my buddies works around here and he heard it was in town. It hasn’t been announced to the public yet so there are only a few people who know about it.” He smiled.

 

You couldn’t believe this was happening. Ever since you were a teenager you’d always wanted to go to a drive-in movie, preferably with the boy you like. And now, your long time dream was coming true. Although, did Sehun really meet the criteria? Well, he was a boy… but for some reason it didn’t feel like he was ‘the’ boy.

 

“I’m not really sure what movie they’re playing but I-“

 

“Thank you. This surprise is perfect.” You smiled.

 

He grinned so hard you thought his face might break. “I’m glad.”

 

 

Halfway through the movie “Titanic” you felt Sehun fidget beside you. “Are you bored Sehunnie?”

 

He glanced at you and nodded. “I’m cold too.” He admitted.

 

“Huh? But it’s warm tonigh-” before you had the chance to finished your sentence, Sehun grabbed your arm and pulled you towards him. Your head ended up in the area where his head meets his neck, he put his arm around your shoulder. “This is more like it.”

 

An intense blush covered your face and you pushed on his chest. “Yah! That was embarrassing! You can’t just-”

 

Looking past Sehun for a brief second, you saw him again.

 

Jongin.

 

This time he was on a car, watching the movie while lying on the hood. You were sure you weren’t imagining him this time, he looked so real. But when Sehun caught your attention again you looked away for a short moment and you were wrong. He wasn’t there after all.

 

✥✥✥✥

 

“So did you have fun?” Sehun asked, as you two strolled in a park together.  The two of you had decided to end the date with a walk in the park, and what better then the park right beside your apartment?

 

“I had lots of fun! The drive-in movie was a nice touch Sehunnie. Since when have you been so smooth? I remember you as the shy lanky guy who was so lost on the first day of University.” You giggled.

 

He unexpectedly stopped walking and you did the same when you noticed him. Sehun took a few steps in your direction and eventually closed the distance between you two. He hooked his index finger under your chin and titled your face up slightly. “I’ve always been smooth.” He stated.

 

Whenever he did things like this you froze. You didn’t know how to react in these situations in the first place; they always made it look so easy in the movies.

 

“I’m going to kiss you now.” he smiled. Your heart began pounding as the adrenaline was rushing through your system.

 

A kiss? On the lips? With Sehun?

 

You weren’t sure if you were ready. The date was enjoyable yes, but that didn’t necessarily mean you had feelings for him… right?

 

You did like him, but you didn’t think you liked him enough where if he kissed you, you’d almost certainly kiss him back. He did make your heart pound, but not hard enough where you feel like you may not recover. When he touched you, you didn’t hate it, but you didn’t find yourself wanting more.

 

It was all clear now; you did like him… but perhaps not in a romantic way. That seat seemed to be reserved already, for a man who no longer thought of you.

 

His lips were inches away from yours when you shut your eyes. “Sehun, I’m sorry.”

 

He stopped, his lips were still inches away from yours but he was no longer moving. You decided to give him all the time he needed, so you didn’t move an inch either. Surprisingly though, he didn’t need as much time as you thought he would. He pulled back soon after, trying to read your face for the reason behind the rejection.

 

“I still have feelings for... someone else. And I just realized it’s not fair to you or me if I ignore those feelings.” you glanced up at the tall boy and waited. It was difficult to read his face, he was disappointed unquestionably, but he looked more confused than anything else.

 

“Jongin?” he finally broke the silence. You nodded, still unable to meet his stare. A long sigh escaped his lips as he turned away from you while trying to wrap his mind around your reasoning. “I really don’t like him.” He started, the tone of his voice getting darker by the second. For some reason, the fact that Sehun disliked Jongin made it all the more difficult to say another word regarding him. Your head dropped and you had the sudden urge to cry. The inevitable fear of losing both of them overtook you and before you knew it, you were crying. Tears slowly accumulated at the corner of your eyes until they finally dropped, leaving behind nothing but pure dread.

 

When Sehun turned around, his eyes widened and he rushed over.

 

“Hey, what’s this? Don’t cry please.” He soothed, as he pulled you in for a tight hug.

 

Sehun rested his chin on your head as his shirt grew damper by the second. “I’m sorry; I don’t know what got over me. I didn’t mean to make you cry, I just... really don’t like that guy.” He pulled away from the hug and placed his hands on your shoulders. “But if you like him, then that’s enough for me. I’ll try to like him too, okay? Now please stop the tears.”

 

You were surprised he was okay with it. Sehun really was an amazing guy.

 

He gently grazed his thumb over your face to wipe away any remaining tears, and then pulled you back in for another hug.

 

Once he felt that you were calm enough, he pulled back and led you to the nearest park bench. “How does he feel about you?”

 

“Well he… confessed to me the other day.” You admitted. “I should’ve known, nobody can resist you for too long can they?” he smiled. You let out a small giggle and punched him in his side. “I’m an obvious example of that.” He said in between breaths as he held his side.

 

“Sehun? I'm sorry, you deserve better.” You were looking down again, at what? You weren’t sure.

 

“There’s not a soul better than you.” he smiled to himself. “But your heart belongs to another, and to answer your question from earlier… no.”

 

You glanced at him “No?”

 

“No. You shouldn’t ignore you feelings.” He continued. “I don’t know the situation between you two, and you don’t need to tell me. Just know that if breaks your heart, I won’t hesitate to do what I do.”

 

“Sehun...”

 

“If he hurts you, you’ll tell me. Deal?” he asked. You nodded, although this time it was you who hurt Jongin. "Deal."

 

“And next time, I won’t take no for an answer. If he doesn’t treat you right, I will.” He stated, bringing you in for another hug. But he cut the hug short, you weren’t sure if it was because it was starting to get late, or if he wanted some time away from you to cope with the rejection. Either way, you thought he was deserving of that time.

 

In practicality Sehun was probably the best guy for you. But everyone knew the heart wasn’t known for its practicality.

 

✥✥✥✥

 

Once you stepped inside your apartment, the exhaustion took over you again. Just the fact that you had to get up tomorrow for class really put a damper on your mood, as if you weren’t already feeling depressed.

 

Nonetheless, you stripped out of your dress and makeup and made yourself a nice cup of Coffee. Stepping out onto your balcony, you noticed it really was a beautiful night. The air was fresh and crisp, the city still awake and roaring. The view from the balcony was something you admired to no end, it was truly peaceful. Although, tonight the view seemed anything but. The balcony opened up into a park, the same park where you had rejected Sehun’s feelings moments ago.

 

“Did I do the right thing…” you uttered. “Should I have said yes?”

 

“You should have.” a voice invaded the conversation.

 

At that very second, you swear your heart just skipped a beat. That voice you just heard was all too familiar; it could only be one person.

 

As you turned to your side you saw him, he was on his balcony too. Sipping what looked like some kind of tea, green tea probably. He was leaning against the railing, in one hand the tea was resting while the other hand was inside the pocket of his grey sweatpants. It made you wonder, how long had he been standing here for? Did he just get here, or was he here all along? If it was the latter, did he see you two at the park? He must have.

 

 “I… should have?” you repeated his statement, although now you had forgotten why he said that to begin with.

 

He didn’t turn towards you; he was still staring straight ahead. “I see the way he looks at you. It’s genuine.” He stated.

 

Your breath hitched.

 

What? How would he know that? Why would he say that? Why did he even care?! Strangers do not care about each other’s love lives, so why did he feel the need to comment on yours.

 

“I know that it’s genuine because I used to-” he chuckled, although you knew there was nothing humorous about the situation. "Nevermind.” He said, then without even acknowledging you he walked back inside his apartment, shutting the door behind him.

 

Just before he left though, you were able to catch the words he spoke under his breath;

 

“It doesn’t even matter anymore."

 

 

 


A/N:

I'm sorry Sehun stans, don't hate me.

Also, I know Jongin is being an right now but you'll see why later. I have some great chapters planned so stay tuned!