In All Truth

A Love Stronger Than Any Other

“Clear,” Zhou Mi said, as he peered out in Yuri’s fireplace. Since Yuri is a witch (which Zhou Mi picked up on immediately), he expected a lot of strange things coming out of her room first, despite the fact that she wasn't the only witch in the palace.

Yuri was already walking up behind him. “Really? The fireplace, Zhou Mi? What could possibly be coming from that place? Krampus?” She tried to look into his eyes, but Zhou Mi quickly moved away from her to look around her bed.

Yuri had called Zhou Mi here to talk, but he seemed more interested in that stupid spell that wizard cast on the palace. He kept looking at the headboard, as if to see if it would come alive.

 
“I can see a magical aura everywhere,” Zhou Mi said.

Yuri remembered the time when she made feathers appear out of the sheer thought of kissing Minho. Yuri rolled her eyes and pulled her white shawl a little closer to her.

Within the next few minutes of quiet, Zhou Mi decided to check three more places. Yuri divided her attention between the pacing Zhou Mi and the sunny sky outside. Blue sky. White clouds. Looks all the same just as any other day.

“This is weird,” Zhou Mi said, looking around the room, and continued to avoid eye contact with Yuri. “I would have thought to see something. Gee.”

Gee? Thought Yuri. Oh my God.

“Gee, Zhou Mi. Ever thought of listening to me now?”

None was forthcoming. Zhou Mi, looking focused and determined, yet bored, was running his hands through his hair as he opened the door to Yuri’s bedroom and left out. Yuri ran up next to him, looking straight ahead as her friend did. No one took notice of them both as they walked together – a little something Zhou Mi did to make sure that he was not bothered.

“Are you ready to talk now, since you’ve ignored me for ten minutes?” Yuri asked impatiently.

Yuri didn’t like to be played with, especially by someone who she wants to seek solace from. But for now she didn’t have a choice. She was kind of desperate.

“I love you, Yuri. But as of now, my mood is not to be manipulated. I refuse to talk about you and  . . . him.”

Yuri already knew his feeling. This was a nice guy, so quiet, so mysterious, but his eyes were shown to be quite glassy and a little less appealing now. She didn’t want to scream out at him, she wanted this to go as smoothly as possible.
 
Zhou Mi stopped as some of the lanterns around them flicked, then went back on. He sighed. “Nothing of importance.”

Yuri held the shawl even tighter, to feel the warmth around her shoulders. It reminded her Minho’s body, warm and comforting. Like she was safe.

“Stop thinking about it, it’s disgusting,” Zhou Mi said, looking out of the glass window.

Yuri grunted. “When are we going to talk this out? I’ve stayed quiet long enough, Zhou Mi. You are my best friend and I just want you to listen.”

Zhou Mi stopped to listen for something.
 
Yuri rolled her eyes. “If you really want to search, I highly suggest the kitchens, alright?”

Zhou Mi raised an eyebrow. “Kitchen?” he muttered. “Of all places.”

He started walking the other way and Yuri, like a devout dog, followed right behind him.

“Hey, wait a minute,” Yuri called after him.

Reluctantly, Zhou Mi turned and waited. He was braced as if for a blow.

Yuri came up quickly, her steps light and controlled. Yuri’s dark hair was tumbling in waves around her small face and falling into her eyes. She stuck out her chin, to show how serious she was.

“A simple talk won’t hurt you will it?” she asked.

“Okay fine. Let’s talk, Yul.”

They continued on down the halls and down the stairs as Yuri talked.
 
“I feel like after all this silence, you’ve suspected already. You know, don’t you Zhou Mi?”

“I’m a magical being, Yuri,” Zhou Mi said, climbing down the stairs as Yuri walked right behind him. “I fly everywhere, I sense thoughts, and I see life through rivers and streams. I was never meant to be kept in the dark really.”

What could he have possibly meant by rivers and streams? Should she have known by now?
 
“You see life?”

“Constantly. Everyday. Just like you, really.”
 
He stopped at the steel door in front of me.

 
“Tell me why I should help you, Yuri. I can already do so much, with that ring nonsense and what not. You can’t honestly tell me you . . .”

Yuri looked away from him, blushing. “It’s a long story, okay.”

“I’m aware.”
 
Zhou Mi’s biting words hurt Yuri a little bit.

“Can you be on my side in this? Please? It’s torturing me, not being able to tell anybody. I’m practically lying to my own family, to Donghae,” Yuri managed just to whimper out his name. “Tell me how I can get through this.”

Zhou Mi sighed. “Yuri, I have no say in your future. You’re supposed to decide all of that for yourself.”

Yuri shook her head. “But I need help. I can’t do this on my own.”

“You decided this on your own. So do it. That’s that.”

Yuri sighed sadly. This wasn’t supposed to happen. Zhou Mi stood by her in everything but this time . . . she truly is alone in this.
 
She looked into his eyes. Irritated, saddened . . . disappointed? In her?

Zhou Mi turned around and entered into the kitchens. The many girls and even a few of the boys stopped their break to stare at the tall and stoic handsome character in front of them. He really towered over all of them. And across the room, a face recognized him and stepped forward.
 
“Zhou Mi?” Hyoyeon gasped.

Zhou Mi blew in between his thumb and index finger and proceeded to rub them together. All at once every single person fainted wherever they stood, all except Yuri and Hyoyeon.
 
“Wow,” Yuri said as a boy near her hit his head on her foot.

“I got to learn that someday,” Yuri said.

Zhou Mi stepped over a few people to get to Hyoyeon. “Maiden Hyoyeon, I must talk to you right now. It involves this whole magic business.” He looked over at Yuri and pursed his lips. “I’d like this conversation to be private.”

Yuri crossed her arms. “Like I’m going anywhere. I’m not done talking.”

“I know you’re not, and you know what, I’m not either. But please, go away, just for a while.”

Yuri shook her head. “No. I said I’m not done.”

Zhou Mi sighed and walked back over to Yuri. He caressed her raven hair and smiled softly. “So stubborn. Just like the normal Yuri I know.”

Yuri pushed his hand away. “Don’t do this to me, Zhou Mi.”

“Oh trust me, my princess. I’ll regret this.”
 
Just like before, Zhou Mi blew air into his fingers and rubbed them together. Just as Yuri was about to say “You wouldn’t . . .” she was already falling and seeing darkness.

                                                    _________________________      

Yuri woke up from her own bed, hearing the clatter of a plate. She turned her head a bit to see Hyoyeon sitting at the side of the bed, stirring in the sugar teeth into her tea, hearing the searing pain from the little creatures.
 
Yuri groaned as she tried to get up but once she sat up she had to lay back down as a headache hit her like a boulder.

“What in the world . . .” Yuri muttered.

Yuri lifted her head and made her fingers stop clenching. Every inch of her was hot, almost as if she was sweating. Her hair shriveled and her lips and ears and hands were numb.
 
“I can’t believe it,” she gasped. “That was mean.”

Hyoyeon laughed and moved closer to Yuri, patting her on her back. She helped Yuri sit up and gave her the cup of tea.
 
“It has rosemary in it, for clarity.” Hyoyeon said, straightening her hair. “And I couldn’t help myself with the sugar teeth. Those devils are begging to be melted.”

Yuri laughed with her as she took a sip of the tea. A little sweet, just how she likes it. A slight breeze came in through the window.

“I kind of don’t want to learn that trick anymore,” Yuri said softly, as her lips were coming back to normal. “Where did he go? Zhou Mi?”

Hyoyeon looked at her quickly, not sure what to really say to the princess. But Hyoyeon gave a little smile, and got a little more comfortable beside Yuri.

“That would have to wait. Just drink this to cure those horrible effects. I’ll need to speak to you right now,” she said.

Yuri felt a slight shiver run up her back. What could she possibly have to face now?

“Well let’s get this over with.” Yuri said, sipping more of the tea.

Hyoyeon laughed.
 
“Well, all you need to know right now, Yuri, is that after talking to young Zhou Mi,” she blushed as she said his name. “I’ve come to the conclusion that I cannot control who you love.”

Yuri looked up her and widened her eyes.

Hyoyeon continued, “I was told everything by Zhou Mi and I have to say, I agreed with on everything. It’s very strange on how love works, but in the end, it all comes down to destiny. This relationship should not be tampered with. I’ll leave it alone from now on.”

Yuri gasped and nearly shocked Hyoyeon to death with her hug.
 
“Oh thank you, Hyoyeon! I knew somebody had to understand this.”

She let go of her. “However did you come to that conclusion?”

Hyoyeon shrugged. “Thank Zhou Mi. He talked with me about a few things.”

“Things? Like what?”

Hyoyeon shook her head. “All in good time. Trust me.”

 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Zhou Mi was determined, as of now. It was so sunny and the clouds nearly smiled down on Zhou Mi as he flew through the skies, on a mission. He, in all truthfulness, was saddened by Yuri. But he had seen a future laid out already for her. And he had already accepted. It will all be dealt with soon.

He was lucky to have already spotted a certain prince through a stain-glass window. Choi Minho, with his pompous, jutting out chin and puffed up chest, was walking alongside his brother, the one they call Prince Kyuhyun, the good one. Minho seemed to be talking about something important with the young boy, as he listened intently to what the devil had to say. As they proceeded to turn a corner, Zhou Mi had to travel to another window just to get a better view. The Devil Prince seemed mellow in this setting. There was little left of the antipathy that was naturally carved into his chiseled face. Zhou Mi found it strange to see someone almost like a stranger and one that didn’t seem to be making any trouble.

“That man has written repeatedly to them, claiming that our father is hell-bent on conquering other kingdoms,” Kyuhyun said, it an annoyed tone. “Like he needs to be hell-bent. He has all of the support he can have.”

“It is father who I am exactly worried about,” Minho confessed.

“The men far, far away are fools to advance us,” Kyuhyun declared, rather loudly in fact, as Minho shushed him upon saying it.

Kyuhyun continued, “There are obsessed with him. Father will not let this go.”

“But Father is not in the right!” Minho hissed. “Trust me, he has good reasons to be angry. Those high strung Kings and Grand Dukes are a menace, though very low in the ranks.” He looked up at the ceiling in thought, revealing soft brown eyes full of fire. “We will not handle going into more dept or civil wars – it is all wrong and must be stopped. Father really is a fool to take their bait.”

“Maybe, but it seems that he has taken on this stand for so long, it is only best to keep it going, to not lose face,” Despite the two opposite personalities, Zhou Mi was surprised to hear of the younger one wanting war, and the Devil claiming that his Father is a fool.
 
“If only Father would let us talk to him about this. But he does not want to give up his lands at all to us. Not yet. We’ll have to wait until he’s ing dead!”

“I know. A decision that will have to change very soon,” Now that was the Choi Minho Zhou Mi knew. “Someone needs to keep the King in check. He is too passionate and too unpredictable for his own good.” Minho slowed down his steps to look into the book he was holding.

“What do you have there, brother?” Kyuhyun asked.

“Something I’d like to spend a little of my time with. Leave.” Minho said as he didn’t look at his brother walking away with a sigh.

Now that the boy was alone, Zhou Mi found his opportunity to finally enter.

He managed to enter right through the front door, with a little mind manipulation from the guards. He flew through the halls, flying past anyone that may be present. They didn’t take notice of him, only that they felt a small breeze past right by.
 
Zhou Mi found the Devil Prince walking up the staircase, his book in hand, his nose practically buried in it.

Magic and History: A book on the Otherworldly Wonders?
 
What could possibly be in this boy’s head?
 
Well since he feels obliged to learn about the Otherworldly things, I’ll be happy enough to introduce him to me.

Zhou Mi took it upon himself to land right on Minho’s shoulder.
 
Minho stopped abruptly and looked at the crow perched upon his shoulder. Zhou Mi made a strange cawing sound, as if he could be laughing.
 
But instead of the satisfying shock he would usually get, Minho furrowed his brows, then smirked.

“I remember you, bird. You are the reason I don’t have Yuri’s engagement ring anymore. But I know you now.”

What?

“You must be some sort of companion to Yuri, a ‘familiar’. I would like a chance to get to know you, bird, and see what you are all about. Where you from. I’m sure Yuri will appreciate my knowledge.”
 
And with that, the Prince walked along, reading, as if a crow on his shoulder was just a normal, everyday thing.  In fact, Minho ignored the stares he got from two maids walking past, whispering and pointing, probably thinking that Zhou Mi was his ‘Devil bird’, his own course of magic in the working.

“Let's see what you are, bird.” Minho said, flipping through his pages.

Hmph, thought Zhou Mi. This book can't have something about me.

Zhou Mi watched as Minho flipped through his pages, passing through faires and snakes and other mystical beings; some real, others just being superstitions.
 
Oh humans.
 
There was always some book about creatures like Zhou Mi, but none ever so close to the truth. This one was no different. Minho came upon a page, in which Zhou Mi thought it was actually something about him. But on the page, there was nothing more than a drawing of different birds with strange variety of colors. Purple ravens, green robins, yellow hummingbirds. Next to them were normal looking anatomy’s of men, dressed in suits, some looking to be from other times. No description showed for any of them, only a title displaying “Mystical Men” and a subtitle that simply said ‘unexplained’.

Choi Minho stared at the page for a few seconds before looking at Zhou Mi.

He stared him back in the eye, seeing if he would catch on.

Minho widened his eyes. “You're no animal are you, bird?”

Minho flinched back as the bird upon his shoulder cawed and flapped his wings. Zhou Mi turned in his most magnificent style, in a flurry of black feathers and wind that nearly broke a vase near by. A black shadowy figure of him appeared first, then his appearance manifested and his cape spun around him as the wind was slowly calming down.

Zhou Mi looked at the prince standing with his feet apart, his hands up as if he was ready to swing. The book was dropped on the floor next to him.

The two stood silently, watching each other, reading each other. A standoff, with Zhou Mi as the matador and Minho as the bull, ready to strike.

Zhou Mi smirked. “You figured out what I am. I applaud you.”
 
Minho’s face grew soft at hearing the man's smooth and silky voice, but his stance never changed

“I don't wish to fight.”

“Who are you?” The Prince dropped his fists but stood tall and ready.

“A friend.”

Minho looked him up and down. “I know nothing of you. Only . . . that you've abused me once before.” His eyes slinted at the man.

“Only because you did a terrible thing.”

Zhou Mi watched as the Prince’s cheek tint a little bit.
 
Curious, it was. He seemed different.

Zhou Mi walked up to the Prince, letting him look into his yellow eyes.
 
“Let's walk.”
 
With his hands behind his back he proceeded to walk down the hall. Hesitantly, Minho followed.

The two turned the corner of the stone hallway, entering a hall full of windows.
 
Zhou Mi looked out at the gardens and fountains outside.
 
“I come here not on request,” he started. “But on my own hunt, a hunt of magic. A few weeks ago, there was wizard around these parts, right on those mountains, who was foolish enough to cast chaos magic. Long story short, it escaped. And it hit the palace that is over those mountains. I went there to see it through, only to see if there was trouble. Coming to find another story I wasn't really ready to see

“My good friends over there, they’ve taken upon themselves to oblige in the magical workings, to become witches. And, oh, it gets better.” he laughed. “The one I love so much, like a sister, has fallen in love.”
 
He stops to look out the window, down to the peasants walking among houses and stands and buildings.
 
“I thought she fell for the person I knew, someone worthy of her love.”
 
Minho bristled at his words.

“Oh how the streams fall so strangely. I wish I saw it coming.”

“What are you playing at, bird?” Minho narrowed his eyes angrily at him.

“Zhou Mi is my name, Prince.” Zhou Mi shot back.

“Are you saying I am not worthy of Yuri’s love?” he scoffed. “You know nothing.”

“I am also saying that this affair was not part of Yuri’s future.”
 
Zhou Mi turned to him and grabbed Minho by his collar. Before he knew it, Minho was lifted off of his feet and against the stone wall. Minho gripped Zhou Mi’s hand, trying to pry him off, but to no avail.

Zhou Mi hissed, “How did you manage to slither yourself in someone's future? Are you trying to do something horrible again?”

Minho sneered. “Let me go. I don't know what your game is, but if you think scaring me into letting Yuri go is going to work, you are mistaken.”

Zhou Mi looked him in the eye. “Why her? Why the girl who was once your enemy?”

Minho cough as Zhou Mi’s hands squeezed closer to his throat. “Because she something different. She gave me another chance. Do you know how many girls have forgiven my antics?”

“I'd say none.”

Minho coughed again. “Let me go.”

Zhou Mi huffed before dropping the boy on the floor, letting him catch his breath.
 
Slowly, Minho gets up and brushes himself off.

He looked at Zhou Mi but was careful not to look him in the eye.
 
“I let Yuri in in a way that I haven't before. It was like . . . she had taken me over. I kept thinking about her. I regretted everything I did,”

Zhou Mi grabbed Minho by his jaw and made him look at him. Right in the eye.
 
He held him captive, let his magic take over, and said, “Continue.”

“I . . . meant to hurt her, multiple times. But she changed my mind. It was simple really. It was lust at first, but I realized at a late moment that it was so much more.

“I don't care if she's engaged,” he spat out the word like poison. “I have her.”

Zhou Mi shook his head. “This shall not end well for you, boy.”

“I'm no boy.” Minho sneered.

“You talk of things so recklessly, messing with destiny.”
 
He pulled Minho in closer. “I hope you know what you are doing.”

“Trust me. Nothing harmful will come to her. I'll make sure of it.”

“And I'll see to it.”

Zhou Mi let him go with his final word and stood back.

In the same flurry of feathers and shadows, Zhou Mi turned back into his animal form and flew off into the sky.

If these were the answers he received, then the future he saw was really true this time.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

In Yuri’s room, she and Tiffany obliged themselves to Hyoyeon’s spell book and explored through it, making their workers think they were studying.

They looked through small spells and big spells, potions, and incantations. They wanted to try them all.

“Let's try something now,” Tiffany said, pulling the book out of Yuri’s hands.

“What could we possibly try now?” Yuri said as she tried to get the book out of Tiffany’s hands, but she just pushed her away.

“Come on, Yuri. Don't you want to try a beauty spell?”

“Well I was kind of interested in calling faires.”

Tiffany scoffed. “We can do that anytime, this is more important,” She stood. “Don’t forget we are performing in front of people.”

Yuri sighed at the thought of the performance being on the night of her wedding.
 
She still holds guilt in her heart because of Donghae, but she would show no emotion right now.

Tiffany stood in front of Yuri’s mirror.
 
“Help me cast this hair spell.”

“You can't do it yourself?” Yuri asked as she stood right behind her sister, looking into the mirror.

“Just help me,” Tiffany coaxed, lifting her hands up at the ready.

Yuri was just about to open the book up to the page when a knock came from the door. Tiffany stood there, frozen, but Yuri was quick to say, “Come in.” as she threw the spell book perfectly into a slot in her bookcase. It blended in nicely with the rest.
 
Tiffany looked back at her, surprised of the quick idea she had.

King Leeteuk stepped through the door, eyeing his daughters. The girls suddenly became nervous, thinking that they were in trouble.
 
Had he found out?
 
Leeteuk stepped towards them, still putting a distance between them.

“I have guests here, for a meeting. Don't try anything loud or stupid while they are here.”

“Yes, father.” the girls said in unison.

Leeteuk nodded and turned half way to leave, but then turned back. He looked at both of his daughters before walking up to them and taking them in for a hug.
 
The girls, though confused, hugged him back.

“What's wrong, father?” Yuri asked.

“I never hug my children anymore.” Leeteuk squeezed them a little tighter before letting go.

“I love you girls,” he said. The sisters smiled at their father's out of the ordinary confession to them.
 
“I especially love how you are getting better at not doing these shenanigans to irritate me.” he pointed at Yuri.

She smiled. “I never did them to irritate you.”

Leeteuk looked her up and down, an amused smile on his face. “You are so much like your mother. You'll be a great queen one day, once you know what's right for a kingdom.”

“I'd like to think I already know.”

Leeteuk nodded at her response and proceeded to walk back to the door.
 
“I'll send for Donghae.”

Yuri’s smile sort of flickered at his name, but she didn't say anything.
 
Tiffany laid herself on Yuri’s bed, looking at her as she hugged a soft pillow.

“Nice to see a good daughter being appreciated,” she said.

Yuri thought the compliment sounded like irony, and confirmed it even more once she saw Tiffany’s disparaging stare.
 
Yuri sat on the bed. “You act like you've never been appreciated, Fany.”

Tiffany eyes slanted at the comment and she placed the pillow back in its proper place.
 
She turned to her side and said, “Alright, what is it?”

Yuri glanced away for a second. “What?”

“You're hiding something,” Tiffany said as she got up in front of Yuri.

Yuri stood, “I'm not hiding anything.”

“Oh please Yuri, you can't keep secrets. I know everything, and you can tell me whatever it is you keep doing.”

“Why the sudden interrogation?” Yuri asked irritably.  
 
This was strange, even for Tiffany.

“I can see it in your eyes, Yul. It's eating you up,” she put her hands on her shoulders, but it was more like she was ready to shake her then to comfort her.

“I promise, Yul. I won't tell anyone.”

A click and a clatter sounded behind Yuri, but what made her turn was Tiffany’s gasp. “Yuri, look out.”

Yuri turned, shocked to see it was Minho climbing through her window, holding a brown satchel over his shoulder.
 
He ignored her sister and smiled at Yuri, like greeting an old friend.

Tiffany shook. “It's him again. I'm going to get-”

Yuri covered quickly and held her. “What are you doing here?” she hissed at Minho.

“I had to see you again.”

Tiffany huffed and looked to her sister and the prince.
 
She seemed to be talking but stopped once someone from out the door called, “Yuri? Yuri-ah?”

Yuri looked at Tiffany, and in a desperate tone said, “Please don't say anything.”

She let her go and quickly went straight to the window. Yuri jumped right out of the window and Tiffany ran to the window as the prince followed suit.
 
She heard Yuri say, “Quick, this way,” and the last thing she saw was the prince running right after her sister.

“Tiffany,”
 
She jumped and turned around quickly as Donghae called her.

Upon her reaction, Donghae walked up to the window and looked out.
 
“Where is Yuri?”

Tiffany looked at him.
 
“I . . . I haven't seen her.” She leaned on to the window sill, trying to look as casual as possible.

Donghae looked back out the window and shook his head. “Yuri is really getting distance between the palace, especially me.”

Tiffany didn't dare look him in the eye, unless she wanted to give out the truth.

“I want Yuri to talk to me soon, it's very important. Tell her that, okay? She listens to you.”

Donghae walked out of the room without any more explanation, to Tiffany’s dismay.
 
She scoffed, “Sure she does.”

She walked to the bookcase, trying to find the spellbook again.