Changes

A Love Stronger Than Any Other

 Beginning to sneak out of the castle grounds since fifteen has made Minho a natural in going from and back in from time to time. You could say he was as sly and sneaky as a snake, compared to Yuri.
 As what all guards do, they stood in front of the gates with their spears up and ready, and completely stone-faced.

 So un-emotional, Minho thought.

 No, Minho was not going through the front. That wouldn’t be fun would it, to tell the guards to keep hush about this? Minho took bigger risks than that, as a young devil always did.
 Instead, Minho kept low and quiet behind the trees and brush nearby. He looked upon the ground, making sure he didn’t step on to any twigs and crunchy leaves below his feet. These guards could hear anything with their training. They could hear a pin drop if they wanted to. But sometimes, they can ignore the extra noise. All part of the guarding job.
 Minho would have to go around the front and towards the side gates. They’ll never even suspect he was there.

 Minho quickly, but quietly, turned his back on the motionless guards and moved through the colors of the trees. He turned the corner of stone and steel gate, which glowed in the fall sunlight with its curious tribal patterns, courtesy of Minho’s father, who was inspired on his trip to Africa and ordered the architects to make Indian tribal markings on the stone wall. It’s actually not that bad. They looked so beautiful and mysterious.
 Minho thought for a moment: those were the words you could describe Yuri.

 No way would he let anyone find out about her and him. The thought of them even being caught could make his heart stop. Even he would - as crazy as it sounded - protect Yuri if it all got out like this. Of course, everyone would assume they were secret lovers, like a stupid Romeo and Juliet story. Minho detested fairy tales.

 Keeping a grip on the top of the stone wall, which was almost as tall as an oak tree, Minho lifted his feet to stick to the stone. With a grunt he reached to the other side, and was on the top just like that. Minho looked down. There was a nice little pile of hay right where he could land. Minho pushed himself off the stone wall and landed bluntly onto the haystack, which for some reason released feathers on the impact. The dirt chickens could have been sitting in them again.
 
 A voice sounded behind him, “Caught you.”

 Minho turned around.
 Taemin starred down at him with confused yet curious eyes. They also showed anger a bit too.
 Minho fought back his gasp. Why? Out of all the people to catch him in the act, why the young and loud-mouthed brother? Why not a guard he could pay in coin, or a maid he could easily seduce into not telling?

 Minho stood up and brushed the feathers and hay from his clothes. “Why hello Taemin. A fine afternoon it is, isn’t it?” Maybe playing nice would make him let him off easy. He never actually tried it on Taemin, but it usually worked.

 “Don’t try and act all casual. What were you doing out?” Obviously, this strategy won’t work on a young and trained devil like Taemin.
 But that is all he is, young. Minho refused to tell him anything, even if he started begging him to tell. Minho ignored Taemin, and walked straight past him whilst brushing off anything from his hands.
 Taemin followed closely behind. “What’s with you these days?” he asked.

 Minho remained reluctant to him.
 “Hey, I thought you and I stood together, and would tell each other anything. Because we’re sworn brothers. Because we love each other.”

 Minho’s mouth twitched. “I love you Taemin. Now as a sworn brother, will you not tell anyone about this?”

 Taemin scoffed. “The hell with that. Everyone already knows you were gone, as usual. But no one knows where you went. If you won’t tell me right now, I’ll make up a story that has ‘punish Minho’ written all over it,”
 Minho stopped and gave him a venomous look.
 “And you know I would do it,” Taemin said, giving triumphant smirk and stood tall with his chest out, a strange imitation of his father.

 Minho held his ground. He crossed his arms and looked his younger brother in the eye. “Taemin, I have stuff to do now, can this wait ‘till later?”
 As Minho was about to walk away, Taemin shot his hand out and clamped it to the latter’s shoulder, stopping him.

 “It’s bad isn’t it? Real bad. If you tell me, I promise to play dumb with my brothers.” Taemin’s big eyes showed a glint of wanting, a sign he wanted to be part of whatever his oldest brother is part of. Of course this would happen. Ever since they were a little young, Taemin was one to follow his brother into anything. That is why so many people compare him to Minho. Personally, Minho never got tired of it. He did always tell Taemin his secrets, but this one was just too big to reveal. When he said no one should know, he meant no one.

 Minho sighed. “I understand your feelings Taemin, but my business is my business. I can’t let you interfere with it.” He nodded his head, which meant this was the end of the discussion. Minho walked off toward the palace doors, Taemin trailing behind.
 The youngest would not give up. He was determined to know what he was up to.

 “What is it? Were you plotting? Were you with someone?” Taemin saw Minho’s face twitch.

 Taemin made another triumphant smirk. “Ah ha, you were!”
 Taemin stepped quickly in front of him, walking backwards.

 “Who was it? Some ally of yours, a secret friend we don’t know about?”
 
 Minho was careful not give himself away at the words secret friend.
 Minho opened the doors to his palace and the guards standing by greeted the boys with a silent nod, but the brothers didn’t acknowledge them. Minho still remained silent to the younger brother.
 Taemin’s face started to turn red with anger. “Tell me! I command it!”

 Minho stopped. He looked at Taemin with eyes that searched his brothers own face. Taemin glared angrily at him, his arms standing stiffly by his sides, his hands turning into angry fists of fury, and standing proud and tall. The boy has never been this angry at him, or anyone. In fact, Taemin’s anger as never went this far. But the boy is only desperate to know his brothers secrets. Of course he’ll be angry to not be in Minho’s circle, party of one.

 Minho gave him a smile. He patted Taemin on the head gently. “Your one to give orders, brother. You’ll be a wonderful soldier one day.”
 With that Minho gave him a dismissive nod and strode away from him.

 Taemin stood, dumbfounded, in his spot. He became even more furious.
 How dare he just walk away from him like that? That was no way to behave to him. Taemin may be the youngest, but he deserved to be dealt with just like any one of his brothers. Minho won’t get away so easily. When he said he would tell, he wasn’t kidding.

 Taemin took a breath, calming himself down a bit. The red from his face disappeared. But then, taking a big breath, he yelled, “MOM! DAD! MINHO’S IN THE HOUSE!”

 Minho stopped. Damn, he thought.
 He turned to see Taemin bolting the other way and down the hall yelling, “MINHO’S IN THE HOUSE! HE FINALLY CAME HOME!”

 Minho groaned in irritation. The boy had to go to immature lengths and shout about his arrival. The little , Minho thought.
 He ran quickly the way his younger brother went. It wasn’t hard to catch up to him. Minho followed Taemin’s loud and shouting voice.

 “MINHO’S HOME! HE CAME EVERYBODY! SOMEONE TELL THE QUEEN AND KING!” Minho spotted Taemin just ahead of him, banging on every door he passed by to get everyone’s attention. “MOM! DAD!”
 In one of the doors, someone stepped out, looking around to see what all the noise was coming from. And then another door followed, and before Minho knew, everyone was coming out of the rooms to see what was going on. Minho tried to ignore their curious looks and run past them to get to his loud brother. Taemin looked behind him, and saw Minho chasing after him. Taemin held a grin to his face and ran faster, turning the corner.

 “Taemin!” Minho yelled.

 Taemin didn’t look back or stop running.
 Minho ran faster than he could, just the pace he ran when he was chasing Yuri in the forest.
 Just when he saw Taemin entering a room to his right, Minho was pulled to a stop be a hand behind him. Minho turned angrily, and came face-to-face with his brother, Onew.

 “Whoa, what in the world is going on?” he asked.

 Kyuhyun appeared beside him, looking equally surprised as Onew. They stared down the hall where Taemin disappeared into.

 “I don’t even want to face what mom and dad are going to say,” Minho said, racking his fingers in his hair.

 Kyuhyun looked at him. “Why? It’s not like all this didn’t happen before.”

 “Yeah,” Minho said. “But I think this is the first time Taemin wanted to get me in trouble.”

 Onew raised his brows. “Yeah? What happened?”

 “You’ll find out one way or another,” Minho said, walking down the hall and towards the door Taemin entered through.

 Onew chuckled darkly. “Oh it’s bad. This is going to be good.”

 Kyuhyun shook his head. “I don’t know. This is getting bad for Minho. I’m worried for him now.”
 “Why do you say that?” Onew asked, while Kyuhyun waved the other palace workers back to their courters. All of the doors shut meekly behind them.

 Kyuhyun turned back to him. “He’s changed, a whole lot. I think it started ever since the ball.”

 “You think Martha is all he could think about now?” Onew asked.

 Kyuhyun shrugged. “Maybe. But when is Minho ever going to admit what’s going on in his thoughts?”

 Never. That was the answer. When it came to secrets, you can guarantee Minho would never reveal it, even if the secret was small. That’s why the brothers mostly trust Minho with their secrets, but he doesn’t trust them. Taemin is a good example upon why.

 The two brothers walked off to the room Minho and Taemin entered, and faced the sight of all the other family members already inside. Sooyoung and Siwon stood side-by-side and looking at Minho. Siwon looked calm but his mouth was pursed in a tight line. Sooyoung looked, as usual, curious and concerned. Minho looked back at them in a bored stature. Taemin stood by in a corner with a smug smile plastered on his face.
 Kyuhyun rolled his eyes. Onew raised a brow.

 “You seem calm right now, my son. Anything happened this morning?” Siwon asked, crossing his arms. Taemin did the same behind him.

 Minho said simply, “No, I don’t believe so. I assure you, anything Taemin has told is simply his child imagination running amuck.”

 Taemin lost his smile. “No,” he said, looking at Minho angrily. “You were even looking suspicious!”

 Sooyoung regarded his words. “My son, are you sad? Is Martha the one you cannot stop thinking about?”

 Minho shrugged. He wondered how long his parents are going to try and figure out who this girl was.
 “I’m fine. It was a long night after all, and I was just irritated. Let’s forget about Martha shall we?” He tried a dismissive tone, hoping they would just leave it at that. But then, the little steps in with his big mouth.

 “Oh hyung, is that who you were seeing?” Taemin asked, sudden interest entering his eyes.
 Minho glared at him.

 “Well that would be convenient. Is that who you saw?” Sooyoung asked, masking the same interest as Taemin.
 Kyuhyun and Onew exchanged a knowing look. That is who Minho could have seen. Thinking back, he looked so worried, so different then what the normal Minho would do last night. He chased after Martha like his life depended on it. He even called her princess. Oh yes, the brothers could hear that cry over all the chatter and clatter of woman’s heels in the ball room. Even the look in his eyes, so full of desperate longing. And when he returned, he looked so pale and tired, and so . . . defeated. It was an interesting sight. Kyuhyun did not mean to anger him so. He thought the joke would cheer him, even a little bit. But instead, this beast appeared before the whole kingdom. It was scary, even for him and Onew. What could have happened to make a calm creature like Minho go crazy on them? Their mother dreaded for him all the rest of the night. Siwon remained distant and silent. The woman in court didn’t know what to do, for the reason they came was to impress the future king. The men of the court had to impress them all, and there were a few woman who confidently, but coyly, asked the other Choi brothers to dance. The boys coldly rejected them. Well, Onew and Kyuhyun did. Taemin would make a pattern to reject one girl, and then accept and seduce the next one. That kind of stirred some jealousy from the ladies. Onew chuckled at him. Kyuhyun paid him no mind though. His jaw kind of hurt from where Minho had punched him. It still hurt now, but he still looked fine. No bruises, luckily.

 Kyuhyun and Onew walked slowly by Minho’s side, silent in their own bubble.

 Minho pursed his lips. “Oh look, the whole gang’s here.”

 “Minho, answer the question,” Sooyoung said, turning his head back toward them.

 “Hmm?” Minho said.

 “Were you with Martha this morning?” Siwon asked, looking him in the eye.

 “No.”

 “Then what were you doing?” Sooyoung asked.

 Minho shook his head. Going through the ordeal is harder then he thought. His parents never questioned this far before. They sounded just as desperate as Taemin.
 But Minho continued to avoid any truthfulness. “I don’t know. Walking around the forest, keeping to my own thoughts. Normal stuff for me, if you think about it.”

 The king and queen exchanged a look.
 “Be honest. What did you think I did?”

 The parents thought for a moment, then Siwon said, “We didn’t think anything. We just knew you were gone somewhere.”

 “Is that all you were doing? Just walking around the forest?” Sooyoung asked, her eyes looking quite unsure.

 “I don’t have any other thing to do but walk. I can’t pull pranks anymore, so I wasn’t planning anything.”

 Siwon and Sooyoung nodded. Ever since that water ‘incident’ with Taemin, they all haven’t a thing to do but run around like they were still ten years old. Thankfully they all had followed that rule of no pranks in the best way possible – not pulling tricks on each other but rather pushing each other down the hall or something like that.
 Although, the wariness of his actions since last night has not gone unnoticed. The whole family could tell. Minho wouldn’t admit it, but he probably was thinking of Martha on his little ‘walk’. But since Minho wouldn’t answer them any further, there could be no reason to push any further. They would just have to leave at here, for now.

 Sooyoung stepped forward and patted Minho’s shoulder.
 “We understand you, my son.” She smiled. “Let this be the last time we worry about you. Please, stop sneaking out without telling anyone. I should have a heart attack the next time you do.”

 Minho gave a small smile back, and went to kiss her cheek. “That’ll be all, mama?”

 Sooyoung nodded. She tried not to spill a tear for him. She didn’t want to admit it, but she had loved her eldest far more than her other children, but it did not fade her love for Onew, Kyuhyun, and Taemin. But she cared for Minho with all of heart and soul. Looking at him when he was a baby, she knew he would be the greatest. A marvelous king taking after his mother and father. Her love for Minho will always remain big in her heart, but for some reason, she could feel him becoming distant. She knows he has something in his head, a thought or secret he refused to tell to any of them. But she will not push him to tell her. He will just keep refusing to tell or give an excuse. But she will find out one way or another. She could already see it now. It will either come for his mouth or from one of his brothers.

 Sooyoung kissed him on the cheek and left the room with a flur of her bodice trailing behind.
 
 Siwon said, “Make sure you are all not late for riding practices. Lord knows how Bishop will become of because of your constant tardiness.” With that, the king left the room, and the brothers were left to stand in silence and look at one another.

 After a moment, Taemin was the first to break the silence. He stepped forward and looked at his eldest brother, his eyes narrowed. “How did you do that?”

 Minho furrowed his brows, masking puzzling innocence. “Do what?”

 “Make them believe you weren’t plotting,” Taemin answered, crossing his arms. The feign triumph in his face disappeared.

 Minho raised his brows. “I wasn’t plotting, or tricking them. I said what I did. I was walking in the forest, alone.”

 Taemin made an irritated grunt. “No you weren’t!”

 “Why are you so stuck on not believing me Taemin?” Minho asked, glancing at his other brothers. Onew and Kyuhyun only watched like two children seeing their parents fight.

 “Because, you kept resisting my questions when we were walking back in. Telling me these excuses or just saying you won’t tell me at all. You’re hiding something Choi Minho.” Taemin glared angrily at his older brother.

 Minho shook his head. “I assure you Taemin, there is nothing to worry about.”

 “I still don’t believe you.”

 “That is because your pride is getting in the way. You just hate being wrong. Being the spoiled brat you are, you’re getting angry because this time, you’re not getting your way.” He said the words with such poison, Kyuhyun flinched. Onew widened his eyes. Minho was right. The little brat always got what he wanted and this time, karma has finally slapped him in the face. Onew fought back a chuckle with a cough.

 “I am not spoiled,” Taemin said, giving a deep frown.

 “You’re not spoiled? Well, now that’s a lie.” Minho said, giving back an arrogant smirk.

 Taemin growled, “You have nothing to say to me.”

 “Good, because guess what,” Minho went closer to him, pulling his face inches before his, their noses almost touching. He voice turned deep and full of malice. “I’m not telling you anything I did today. Not even if you tortured me. You’re not getting your way this time. I hope my words touch your heart deeply.”
 Giving a last look, Minho strode out of the room.

 Taemin stood frozen in his place. He looked in shock almost, his face not revealing his enragement boiling inside.
 He had never been spoken to that way, only whenever his father got really angry with him. Taemin never liked the feeling. His father did it to him every time he would get in trouble, especially when he was little. Whispering malice words and getting in his face, it would make Taemin angry. No doubt it was a sign of disrespect, and to a prince. No one should ever disrespect him, not even his of a brother.

 Taemin’s nostrils flared and he balled up his fist. His face turned a frightening shade of red.
 Onew and Kyuhyun looked at him in surprise.

 “Hold him, he’s about to blow,” Kyuhyun said, taking a step back.

 Onew made an irritated sound and ran up to Taemin. He took hold of his shoulders and squeezed them tightly.
 “Alright Taemin. Just calm down before your burst.”

 Taemin inhaled and exhaled an angry breath before walking to the small brown couch. Onew sighed and went to sit next to him.
 Kyuhyun walked out of the room.

 “I know there’s something he’s not telling me,” Taemin said when he left. “I’m sure of it. I’m always sure of my instincts.”

 Onew shook his head. “Taemin, Minho is always secretive. Why do you choose now to be so aggravated about it?”

 Taemin shrugged. “Because he keeps us in the dark until then, and then we all get in trouble. Because I’m tired of him not trusting us, especially me. I mean, we’re his brothers for crying out loud. Why can’t he just tell us?” Taemin choked on his words. He was really fighting back a sob. Looks like the anger for his brother turned into grief in five seconds.

 “Minho is very private that’s all. I mean, come on. I’m the second eldest, and he won’t tell me a thing.” Onew chuckled to lighten the mood.

 Taemin pursed his lips. “I hate not being told of things. He’s done it to us ever since we were all born. I’m sick of it. I know everything, except what goes on his god damned mind.”

 Onew nodded his head in understanding. He knew what he was going through. Onew had always had his thoughts drift to Minho, him and his secretiveness. No one knows his mind. He never let anyone get close enough for that. Their father would constantly speak of his headed aches about it. Their mother was even worse though. Taemin and Minho probably couldn’t tell, but his mother did love Minho more than anything. Maybe even more than them. Kyuhyun is the one closer to his mother then any of them. They’re both alike in some ways, and Kyuhyun was only, as what Minho calls it, half-devil. He was the first one to tell by his mother’s actions toward their older brother. Believe it or not, Kyuhyun mostly likes to keep to himself and listen before he come out with it. But Taemin was more obsessive about it. His determination was already deeply rooted in his heart.
 No going back now. Secrets between Minho and Taemin are going to make hell break lose all together.


                                                                                                                                 ________


 “Why do you do that to him?” Kyuhyun asked.

 “Do what to whom, brother?” Minho questioned, busy taking off his shoes.

 The two walked together to Minho and Taemin’s room in silence, for Minho remained distant and stern as he ignored him. Kyuhyun wasn’t going to speak to him until they were in a room where no one can hear them, or not care their voice are going back and forth.
 
 Kyuhyun snorted. “You know what I mean. Why did you speak to Taemin that way?”
 Kyuhyun watched as Minho started to change his shirt with a white buttoned shirt and blue vest. Their riding uniforms.

 “You made him really mad.”

 “Taemin needs to learn to keep his nose from other people’s business. He has no right commanding me like that. You wouldn’t happen to know where our breeches and helmets are.” Minho pointed to the small pile of shoes in the corner.

 “Bishop keeps them in a box in the stables.” Kyuhyun answered.

 Minho sighed, and shook his head. “Figures. I guess I have to put my shoes back on. Wouldn’t it be hilarious if old man Bishop lost his mind for showing up barefoot?” Minho chuckled at the thought, but still put his shoes back on. “You better change to, before we’re late.”

 “Lessons aren’t for another half-hour, Minho.” Kyuhyun said.

 Minho stopped. “Really?” he shrugged. “Eh, it’s okay. Never hurts to be too early. Bishop would be most pleased with me.”

 Fitting on the shoes, Minho made sure his vest was without crease or cuts, and waved Kyuhyun good bye. “See you at lessons,” he called before closing the door behind him.

 Kyuhyun sighed.
 Why can’t he see that they all care about him, and they just want to get closer to him? It all started at the ball. He changed the minute he started dancing with that girl, Martha.
 Right then and there, Kyuhyun grew a detesting hatred for that mysterious girl. The little harlot changed their brother forever, and it’ll only get worse as the time goes, because it was the person who Minho was seeing.


                                                                           

 In the morning, right after breakfast, Yuri received a package in the mail. It was wrapped in brown paper and tied with white ribbon with a pearl dangling from a string. The queen and king’s daughter’s name was scrawled in fancy calligraphy at the bottom. The knights had found the package right at the front once they had woken up. Seeing it was sent to the eldest daughter, the knights had handed it to her personal maiden, Hyoyeon.
 
 Hyoyeon could easily feel the package was a hard-cover book. But touching the package, she could feel something. Even covered in paper, she could feel its energy. It’s the same energy she could feel when she touched that man’s hand. The bird man that was a friend of Yuri’s. She couldn’t even forget his name: Zhou Mi. He looked remarkable. You could feel the magic radiating off of him. A wizard, he was.
 Hyoyeon held a secret no one could understand. She’s never seen such magic that Zhou Mi had conjured up, but she has witnessed sorcery. It was before she had become a maid of the royal family.

 She never had real parents. From birth until nineteen, she stayed in a forest with a coven of witches. Yes, witches.
 Their house was a rather large wooden cabin crafted by magic itself. It was painted in a bright baby blue and its serene garden in the front made a welcoming atmosphere. But no one rarely visited them. A lot of people thought they were witches. Well, suspected. Back then, a lot of girls would be written as witches for doing such strange things. One town’s person may have seen one the coven girls catching three frogs. And then someone saw another coven girl sniffing daises and then picking the petals to put them in a jar. Seeing two girls doing a simple task, and the whole sister clan are named witches. The girls would only go into town to buy food or buy ingredients for potions and charms that they couldn’t find in the forest or near the river. Not one of them cared if they had won remarks from others. Their coven kept to themselves anyhow.

 Their coven consisted of seven girls in total. The coven leader was Seo Joo Hyun, or Seohyun, a young and beautiful girl of twenty-two. Boy, when you could find a definition of fiery, Seohyun would be the first to pop up. She refused any authority given to her, no matter what. That would be why she hated orders, and commanders hated her. When one officer had taken her collection of herbs and flowers, she muttered a few words and his pants caught on fire. Whilst he ran away screaming for his life, he dropped her herbs and flowers and Seohyun ran away with them and back to cabin. Hyoyeon missed her so, and all her other sister.
 There was Sarah, the blonde American that spoke eight different languages and held the job to study and protect their grimoirs from other flittering hands. Her specialty was nature. She had the power of elements and could bend nature at her feet. But she only used her powers for the better. Never in vain like other witches had been.
 Next, Sunny was a calm and quiet type of witch. Her powers spoke great wonders for her though. Her hair would change color every day. One day it could be pink, the next it could be blue. Hyoyeon loved to braid it every day.
 Bom and Na Eun were actual sisters. Their magic worked better together then by themselves. Although believable of their innocent looks, they were actually brats that can never shut their mouths. You wouldn’t believe how many times Sunny had to stop Seohyun from casting a Silencing spell on the both of them. Sometimes she would be happy to kick them out of the house until further notice. The last two were Chaerin and Luna. Hyoyeon would always go to them for spell advice. For some reason, she wasn’t completely part of the coven. They taught her how to live on her own in both a witch world and this world. They were her only family, and she was saddened to have woken up and not find them with her any longer.
 It was the day before, the girls were looking sad and worried. They were frantic in packing all of their stuff, except for Hyoyeon’s. She looked at them in confusion.

 “What is going on?” Hyoyeon had asked.

 “Time to go to sleep, little diamond,” Sunny always called her that because of her bright blonde hair.

 Hyoyeon looked at her for a moment. Na Eun and Bom exchanged a look.
 “Where is Seohyun?” Hyoyeon asked.

 “Out,” Chaerin answered drily. She didn’t mean what she said. The look in Chaerin’s eyes told her she was lying to her.

 And with that, all of the girls kissed her goodnight. That was the last time she had ever saw her family. When she had woken up, she was in the palace maid courters. Not in the palace near their village, but another. One maid woke up beside her, with bright red hair and a small face. She smiled to her. “Time for you day.”

 “For what?” Hyoyeon asked, still looking confusingly around the room.

 “To meet the queen and king’s eldest daughter. They are hiring you as her private made, remember?” the red haired girl giggled at her and stepped out of bed.
 “Better get dressed. I wouldn’t want the king to change his mind on you.”

 The maid gave her a black and white maid’s outfit.
 Hyoyeon was befuddled by the whole situation. Who could that girl be? And why is she here?

 Hyoyeon shed a tear. And more tears fell. They fell on her hand, and a note appeared in palm. Hyoyeon stopped sobbing for moment. What could this be? She wondered.

 Hyoyeon opened the note. It read:

  We are so sorry, little diamond. We did this magic to protect you from enemies. We are long gone from where we once lived, but we are safe. You may never see us again. You are spellbound until you find magic again. Live safe. We’ll always love you.


 Their gone. There all gone. And they left here, in this palace?
 What a strange place to pick.

 Hyoyeon shed a few more tears, but then had to wipe them clean. When her sisters had done something, it was done. There was no going back.
 This was her new life now, and she’ll have to embrace it now. Sending a silent prayer for the protection of her sisters, Hyoyeon got up from her bed and started putting on her maids outfit.

 The sun looked so bright, but there were still a few clouds in the sky. Hyoyeon wanted them gone. Muttering a sun spell, she flicked her hand towards the window. The clouds remained at their place. The spell bounding had worked on her as well. No more magic. The palace life was going to be a bore.

 Hyoyeon sighed and went out of the room. The first thing she thought was how beautiful the interior was. With fine gold carvings and the leather furniture. A worker would nod in greeting every time she passed. Strangely, she knew where she was going. Another trick done by her sisters, no doubt.
 To the main hall was where she was going. It was where the king and queen’s thrones lay.

 The room was lined with white and silver, and could probably blind you at the first sight of sunlight hitting the floors.
 It was a dazzling sight. But then, something else made her gasp.

 It was the king and queen themselves. They looked marvelous. She had only ever learned about king Leeteuk and queen Taeyeon from gossip and stories from the town’s folk. But to look at them right in front of her, you could just bask in their honor.
 The king and queen stood side by side, looking at the little bundle held in Taeyeon’s hands. The looked up at the sound of the door opening and Hyoyeon entering the room. Leeteuk looked handsome in his black suit, and Taeyeon looked absolutely gorgeous in her purple silk gown.

 Hyoyeon stopped a few feet away from them, too afraid to get to close. The three stood in silence. Hyoyeon stared nervously at the royal family. She almost furrowed her brows when she got a withering look from the king. Hyoyeon frowned. What am I supposed to do? She wondered.
 Hyoyeon looked at Taeyeon, and the queen made a slight inclination of her head. Hyoyeon nearly gasped. She was supposed to bow!
 Giving a low and long curtsy, Leeteuk’s expression softened.

 When Hyoyeon had risen, the king said, “We now how hard you work. You are very loving towards children, and can easily take care of them, but can we trust you with our little baby girl?”

 Taeyeon made a graceful snort. “Of course she can. She’s a wonderful pick from all the others.” Taeyeon looked at her with motherly eyes. “Would you like to see her?”

 Hyoyeon managed a breathy “Yes” and Taeyeon stepped next to her. The queen slowly opened the bundle of white blankets, and a tiny face starred up at Hyoyeon. The little girl had light brown eyes, and was already growing little hairs on the top of her head. The baby looked into her eyes, and instantly smiled. Hyoyeon smiled back. The baby reached a tiny hand towards her, and it tightly closed around Hyoyeon’s index finger.

 “She’s beautiful my queen,” Hyoyeon said softly.

 Taeyeon nodded. “I know. I love her. She has her father’s eyes,” Taeyeon said, glancing at her husband that was looking down at the bundle in Taeyeon’s arm.

 “What is her name?” Hyoyeon asked.

 “Yuri. Kim Yuri. A future queen I can give my lands to.”

 “And be brought a rather fine handsome that can rule beside her,” Leeteuk said, smiling.

 Taeyeon scowled, then pouted. “No thinking about marriage now. She is too young.”
 Taeyeon gave a look at Hyoyeon, and the two started to giggle.

 That was when her life changed for the better. Her orders were simple: Take care of Yuri, and later her sister, Tiffany.
 Although she loved her job as caretaker for the mischievous little children, she had always longed for the magic to be brought back to her, along with Seohyun and her other sisters. For a while now, the magic had yet to find a place in her head. But ever since she met Zhou Mi, the longing suddenly came back.
 But it just wasn’t a longing for the magic, it was a longing for him.


                                                                    


 Hyoyeon knocked on Yuri’s door and waited for the girl to answer. Right after breakfast, the girl went and locked herself in her room.
 A string of jazz and piano notes seeped through the door.

 “Just a second!” Yuri yelled from inside.
 A bunch of clatter went on for about a minute until Yuri finally opened the door and a loud break of the music echoed in the halls. Yuri’s hair was slightly in a friz. She wore a short blue dress and held a white scarf in her hand. Her bare feet moved restlessly on the mahogany floor.
 She greeted Hyoyeon with bright and giddy smile. “Why hello Hyoyeon. Nice to see you.”

 Hyoyeon shook her head. “It is only a little past eleven-thirty, my girl. Why are you dancing?”

 Yuri threw her head back and gave up a whoop of laughter. “It is never too early or too late to start dancing. Oh, why do you think balls go until the late bearings of night?”

 Yuri skimmed away from the door and started doing her modern dancing in the middle of her room. Yuri loved ballet, but she also had a lot for the modern dance. She sees the gypsy’s and courtesans dancing in the windows and on the streets and always complemented the gracefulness of their moves and the lines of their dance. Her father refused to see his daughter’s dance that way, so naturally Yuri danced where he could not hear or see her.
 Yuri waved her hips to the beat and moved around with such grace you would be so envious.

 But Hyoyeon shook her head. “Stop dancing for a moment and look what I got for you.”

 Yuri shook her head. “Later! Put the box down and dance with me! Dance with me Hyoyeon!”

 Hyoyeon rolled her eyes. Why was she so happy this morning?
 It can’t be because of that silly friendship with him. Hyoyeon still refused him. She didn’t trust him for one second. But Yuri will learn the hard way that he is to be put away. And when she does, Hyoyeon will there to comfort her if she cries.

 Hyoyeon went to the little radio and shut it off.
 Yuri gasped. “What did I do?”

 “You can go back to your dancing as soon as you open your mail.” Hyoyeon handed out the package helpfully.

 Yuri pouted. “Package? From whom?”

 “I don’t know, my sweet. You must open it to find out.”

 Yuri sighed. “Fine.” Yuri threw down her scarf and not-so-carefully took the package from Hyoyeon’s hands.
 She plopped down on her feathery soft bed and looked at the package first. She carefully touched the little pearl and white ribbon, and found her name right at the bottom. She turned the package, looking for someone else’s name, but there was only hers.


 “I guess my sender is called anonymous,” Yuri said, starting to rip the brown paper away.
 Slowly, the package started to reveal a book. Hyoyeon’s suspicions were correct. A book it was.

 Yuri furrowed her brows. Why a book? Not that she didn’t love books. I mean, she was a whole bookcase full of them for crying out loud. But looking at it, it looked different then all the others. First, the cover looked so cute and wonderful. The pictures popped off of the cover. There was a tree without leaves and an owl perched on one of the branches. A black cat sat looking up at the owl. The background gave off a blue night sky and stars scattered about the cover. In the middle of the book was a golden star inside a golden circle. The pentagram. On the top of the book, splayed in golden letters, was the word ‘spells’. Yuri gasped.

 “It couldn’t be,” Hyoyeon muttered.

 Yuri looked up at her in amazement. She held a sparkle in her eye. “Want to find out?”

 When Hyoyeon didn’t answer, Yuri started opening to the first page. Hyoyeon finally came to her senses and bolted beside Yuri on the bed.
 “Yuri, we don’t know what this is,” she said cautiously.

 “Yes we do, and here’s the proof!” Yuri pointed to the title page.

 “‘Sunlight, Sun bright’,” she read. “To make the clouds move away and create a sunny day.”

 “Yuri,” Hyoyeon warned again, but Yuri wasn’t listing to her. She was really interested in this. Yuri always believed in magic and fairytales. She hung on to the belief ever since she discovered Falls Wood. But she’s never used a spell book. She’s never even seen one. But Hyoyeon has, this one in particular. This was one of the many grimoirs Sarah kept in her trunk in her room. Hyoyeon recognized it, because it was the one Sarah always used. It was her favorite one.

 “Look at this one, Hyoyeon. ‘Fairy Spell’. To summon fairies to your garden and let them tell secrets. Wouldn’t that be fantastic to do?”

 “Yuri, we shouldn’t be tampering with magic. It’s dangerous,” Hyoyeon said, fighting back the tears of all the times her sisters had touched this book. Why would her sisters send this to Yuri? What was there purpose?

 “But why not Hyoyeon? Haven’t you’ve been feeling it?” Yuri asked, still looking at the pages, astonished.

 “Feeling what?”

 “The magic. The magic that’s put on the palace. It’s everywhere. It’s why I’m so happy this morning. The magic breathes through the walls. What if the palace found this book for us?” Yuri gasped. “We could be witches, Hyoyeon. Actual witches holding magic.”

 “Are you sure you want this, Yuri?” Hyoyeon said, her voice becoming a whisper for fear someone would hear them.

 “Yes! I’ve always wanted to experience the magic, now this is my chance. It can be our secret. You can cast spells with me. Want to?”

 “Want to what?” a voice called from the door frame.

 Hyoyeon quickly stood up from the bed, and Yuri closed the book and tried to hide it behind her back. Taeyeon stood, looking curiously at Yuri’s arm with an arched brow. Tiffany stood behind her, looking eager to be in the drama with them.

 Hyoyeon bowed. “Madam. We didn’t hear you coming.”

 Taeyeon shook her head. “Surely not, since you two were whispering heads in a private conversation. What’s that, daughter?” Taeyeon nodded to the thing she was hiding behind her back.

 “Nothing, mother. A book as all,” Yuri answered simply.

 Taeyeon nodded. “May I see it?” She handed her hand out for whatever what Yuri has.

 Yuri hesitated, and Hyoyeon’s heart was beating at a faster rate.
 Taeyeon held out her hand farther for her, and Yuri reluctantly handed her the book.

 Taeyeon took a good look at the cover, and her brows furrowed. “A spell book?”
 Yuri and Hyoyeon looked away. Tiffany raised her brows, then rushed behind her mother to take a good look at the book.
 Taeyeon flipped through the pages. She looked not angry, or afraid of the book, but rather intrigued and interested. Tiffany masked the same wonderment, reading the titles of the spells.

 For a moment, their mother stood staring in silence. Then, she looked up at Hyoyeon and Yuri.
 “Where did you two get this?” she asked.

 “I got it in the mail,” Yuri answered, afraid to meet her mother’s eyes.

 Taeyeon nodded. Silent for another moment, she flipped another page, and another.
 “You know, I’ve always been one to be interested in the magical arts.” Taeyeon looked up at her daughters, and smiled.

 Yuri widened her eyes.
 “Really?” Tiffany asked.

 Taeyeon nodded. “Of course,” Taeyeon looked at Yuri. “Where do you think you get your interest from, daughter? Remember when I told you stories of good and bad witches when you were little. Tiffany rather talked about princesses, but you loved the fantasy stories.”

 Yuri did remember the stories her mother told her and Tiffany. She loved hearing them so much. No wonder she loved magic so much. She may have forgotten about though. It was a long time ago.

 Taeyeon and Tiffany went to sit beside Yuri on the bed. Yuri invited Hyoyeon beside her.
 Hyoyeon couldn’t believe it. She was never there during their story times, so she had no idea Taeyeon loved the idea of magic just the same as Yuri. That was the most interesting thing she’s ever heard from the queen.

 “What do you suppose we do with it?” Taeyeon asked, turning a page. She read, “‘Spell to turn clothes a different color’. My my, that sounds fun.”

 “I was thinking we try it. Well, me and Hyoyeon. But since we’re all in on the secret, we can all try?” Yuri asked. It was clear she didn’t think her mother would even think about it, but then more interesting words spilled from the queen’s mouth.
 “You know what, I would like to try one or two spells.”

 “But don’t we have to be witches?” Tiffany asked. “I mean, we’re just princesses, a queen, and a maid. But no offence to you, maiden Hyoyeon.” Tiffany threw her an innocent look.

 Hyoyeon shook her head, dismissing her observation. “You can try if you want to,” she said. “The magic will make you a witch by itself, but you have to have the power and concentration. The magic chooses if your worthy of being a witch.”

 The three woman looked at their maid in amazement.
 “Wow,” Tiffany cooed.

 “Hyoyeon, how do you know that?” Yuri asked, moving closer and becoming more interested by the minute.

 It wouldn’t hurt to tell them now. After all, they were her family, and the deserved to know.
 “I was a witch once,” Hyoyeon said.

 The other woman gasped.
 “Really?” Taeyeon asked.

 Hyoyeon nodded. “I was in a coven, and then I . . . ended up here.”

 “How?” Tiffany asked.

 Hyoyeon took a breath, and out came the story of her and her old family. Whilst explaining, the girls listened intently and reacting to the sad and happy parts of the story. Hyoyeon ended where she met little baby Yuri, and was given the job as caretaker for the royal daughters.

 “I thought I hired you,” Taeyeon said, breathless after the whole story.

 Hyoyeon shook her head. “You thought you did. It was a spell. When I came here, everyone just suddenly knew me.”

 “Why did you give us a fake story?” Tiffany asked.

 “Because it was my tale to tell, if I wanted to or not, and I chose not to.”

 Tiffany nodded, understanding.
 “So you know how to do this, right?” Yuri asked, picking up the spell book from her mother’s lap.

 Hyoyeon smiled. “Nineteen years of doing it before being spellbound. I think I know what I’m doing,” Hyoyeon walked towards the door and closed it firmly shut. She turned and looked at the three woman. “Now, this is your chance to make a final decision. Do you all want to become a witch?”

 Without hesitation, Yuri stood and said solemnly, “I’m in. I want to see what all the magic is about.”

 After a moment, Taeyeon stood beside her, the spell book perched under her arm. “Do you even have to ask?” She and Yuri giggled.
 Then, all eyes were on Tiffany. She sat in silence for a moment, fiddling with her fingers and looking at anything else other than them.

 After a few moments, Tiffany finally looked up at Hyoyeon and asked, “Are there spells to, say . . . . make a boy fall in love with you, spells for beauty, spells to make you more graceful . . . . Do they actually work?”

 Hyoyeon gave a sad smile. Of course the girl wanted to know about this. She was so desperate to find someone to love like Yuri had. Tiffany was having a hard time though, being so overshadowed by her beautiful older sister.
 Hyoyeon answered, “Be careful with magic, my girl. Sometimes magic doesn’t always work with you in those categories. But yes, all the more to make you into what you desire.”

 Tiffany smiled. She stood beside her mother. “Then I will do it. For my family, and for the safety of magic!” Her eyes twinkles.

 “For the safety and fun,” Yuri added.

 “Not too much fun,” Hyoyeon warned. “Now, shall we start tonight or tomorrow?”

 “How about tonight? No one will know what we are doing,” Taeyeon said. She looked so young, like her daughters. She was turning back into a rebellious young princess.

 “May I suggest midnight? It is the witching hour after all.” Hyoyeon said.

 “Midnight, tonight,” Taeyeon said dreamily.

 “Our secret,” Yuri said, taking her mother’s hand.

 “Our fun,” Tiffany said, her bright smile plastered on her face. She took her mother’s other hand.

 Hyoyeon walked forward and took both Tiffany and Yuri’s hands. “Our secret coven.”
 They all laughed.

 “My oh my, may this bring changes to the royal household,” Taeyeon said, breaking out in a fit of giggles.


_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 My my, what a twist in the story!

 Taemin is now determined to find out Minho's secret.

 Kyuhyun suddenly hates Martha, who is actually Yuri.

 We have now seen Hyoyeon's true past.

 And soon, the girls will become witches.


 . . . . Isn't this 
Delicious!