The Ball

A Love Stronger Than Any Other

 Minho walked along the garden looking at the colorful flowers and white marble fountain. For once he actually noticed how they are beautiful, elegant. Beautiful, elegant. Those were the words described for princess Yuri.

 Minho's thoughts then changed to the night of his planned torture for the Kim princess. She wanted them to be friends. She even hugged him.

 "No, I must not think of her." he said to himself. He continues to walk until he hears voices. They are very faint at first, but then they get closer. Minho looks back to see a soft fluttering of skirts from a distances.

 He could make out his mother walking along with the cook trailing behind her.

 While they discussed Sooyoung only had her eyes on a number of envelopes she held.

 It seemed the cook looked a little worried and was seen talking at a fast paste. Minho looked over to them and could hear them talking more clearly now.

 "My Queen, this is a very hard task. You have put down lamb, turkey, baked leeks, chicken with walnuts, Baozi, Ful medames, Coq au vin, Locro--"

 "Yes, I know," Queen Sooyoung looked up from her envelopes and looked at the cook with a what stern look.
 "And what is so hard of doing these cuisines." she asked.

 The cook felt small compared to the queen. His voice quickly lowered and he could do nothing but look to the ground at the queen's hard look. "You have asked for so many foods. The cooks could just make most of the Korean foods."

 "No. I want this occasion to be special. You have traveled all your life to study these foods and now your saying you can't make them?" Sooyoung said almost yelling.

 The cook had no words to say and and only stood stiff staring anywhere else. "Go back to the kitchen." Sooyoung said gravely. The cook nodded and went his way still looking to the ground.

 Sooyoung continued walking mumbling to herself.

 
Minho put his hands on his hips and smiled at his mother. She was about to pass him without noticing and Minho whispered into her hear, "Yelling at servants lately?"

 Sooyoung finally looked up and smiled at her son. "Why hello there young prince, just the person I wanted to to find."

 Sooyoung sat on the edge of the fountain and patted the spot next to her for Minho sit down.

 "I have been preparing this for some time, and I think it's about time to tell you." Sooyoung looked at her son with caring eyes. Minho folded his arms suggesting that he wanting his mother to say everything straight forward to him. "Well, me and Siwon have discussed this problem about you not finding a bride yet, and we have decided - I have decided - for you to meet all the girls of the kingdom. Every young woman out there will talk with you or dance with you, and you tell me if you feel something." she said softly.

Minho tilted his head and looked somewhere else. This would be something his mother would plan. How he wished she would stop doing that.

"Mother, please don't do this to me." he said gravely. "How many more meetings do you plan to give me?"

Sooyoung placed her arm around Minho's shoulder's. "I just want you to have a wife you like. I mean it's a better solution then others. You wouldn't want to be forced to marry someone like Princess Yuri would you?" she asked raising her eyebrow.

 At the sound of Yuri's name Minho's eyes softened. Just when he had pushed her out of his head his mother had to have the thoughts flooding back to him. "Well....n-no, no I wouldn't."

 Sooyoung's smile returned and she sat her hand on his cheek. Minho pulled her closer to him with his arm slung around her torso. "Thank you son."

 Minho then nodded his head to the pile of envelopes sitting beside Sooyoung. "What are those now?" he asked. Sooyoung glanced at the pile and then smiled brighter to Minho.
 "Those are the invitations for the ball. There are more then that of what I have here."

 Minho had an idea come into his head. He scooted himself closer to his mother. "Now what about the others. Do my brothers also have to find a bride?" he asked.
 "Oh I haven't even thought about it," While Sooyoung continued talking Minho's hand easily slung to the pile of envelopes and he grabbed on hiding it behind his back. He smiled and nodded as if he was listening to his mother.
 "I don't know if they would find someone, but it would be good. But even so, this ball is for you to find your bride. Please promise you wouldn't do anything at the party." she asked while biting her lip.

 Minho took his mother's cuteness and nodded. "I promise mother."

 Sooyoung smiled and stood from him. "Thank you. Now, it's time to check on decorations." she said before walking away with her medium size stack of envelopes. 

 While Minho watched his mother scurry away, his smile turned into smirk and he took the invitation from his back. He thought he could invite the princess to this ball, and maybe talk to her before hand. She said she wanted them to be friends, maybe this was the first step for it. This time it was his chance to get Yuri on his good side.