A Dance For Me

A Love Stronger Than Any Other

 The late morning sky never looked so blue. Not a single cloud could be seen from it. The crows cawed as they flew by the skies, the black feathers flying off with the wind. Sooyoung brushed a lock of her hair before turning a page of her book. The dusty pages were nearly close to ripping themselves apart so Sooyoung tried her best to handle it carefully.
 The balcony was silent. She checked in on her husband earlier and found him silently eating his sweets, nearly passing out from stress and paper work. You’d think Choi Siwon wouldn’t be so tired with the kind of energy that he has, but sometimes even work gets the best of them.
 Sooyoung checked on her other sons, finding her strange and quiet boys scattered throughout the palace. Onew was found doing archery by himself, Kyuhyun hung and walked around the corridors and Taemin was outside climbing trees. He hasn’t done that in a while, and he’s usually doing it with someone.
 And Minho, with his own book in hand and his faraway look, had completed the circle of this out-of-the-ordinary day. Trying to gather some light on to her page she pulled the book closer to her face. As she did she looked up towards Minho, eyeing his every move. He was so still, so quiet. He looked like his old stoic princely self. Again, a crow cawed in the distance.
 Sighing, she slammed the book back into her lap. Minho looked up briefly before looking back down at his book. Sooyoung was shaking her leg restlessly and leaned her head against her hand. Minho reached over to the table in front of them and took a pop over cream puff from the plate. He took a big bite from the dessert and set it carefully down back on the plate. “Mmm,” he muttered, wiping his hands of the crumbs.
 Sooyoung grumbled and raised her brow at him. Again she raised her book only to peek at him over the brim.

 Minho closed his book and set it next to the desserts. He looked towards the trees, to the little houses of the peasant folk, and a high hill clouded in mist, a hill that sort of separated the two rival kingdoms.

 Sooyoung raised her brows this time.
 
 Setting her own book down, she peered beyond the land as well. She breathed in.

 “Interesting beauty, isn’t it?” Sooyoung asked, glancing at her son.

 Minho quietly nodded his head.
 “It makes you think of all the beauties of the world. Doesn’t it, my son?” Sooyoung looked back at him again. He still stared out into the distance.

 “Is there anything you have in mind? A place, a person?”

 “I have nothing in mind, mother. Only that I don’t think I’ve never noticed that hill before.”
 He took another bite out of his cream puff.

 “Interesting,” Sooyoung answered as she bit into a cherry. Another moment a silence passed by them. It wasn’t awkward. It was actually quite comfortable. But Sooyoung hadn’t been with her son like this in a while. He would always prefer to be by himself or with his brothers. Sooyoung always showed her love, but the way Minho reacted to it, it always felt like it wasn’t enough. That’s partly why it’s so silent half the time. She doesn’t know what to say next, only that her goal is to get something out her son’s mouth.

 Minho chuckled and looked from the scenery to his hands, to his book, then finally his mother. His light smile made her feelings a lot calmer. He doesn’t smile like that anymore.
 “Mother, do you believe in magic?”

 Sooyoung certainly did not expect that. It’s probably one of the many hundred things she expected her eldest son not to say.

 “Magic? What do you mean?”
 Sooyoung bit into another cherry, giving Minho an addled look.

 “You know, magic. That thing that makes things happen unexpectedly.” Minho smiled a bit and looked back at the trees, like he was looking for something.
 Sooyoung wasn’t sure what the look was about, but she decided to go along with Minho. Answer his questions. Then maybe he’ll answer hers.

 She chuckled. “If you’re talking about all that crazy stuff with the witches and the broomsticks and wands, that magic I don’t believe in. It is beauty that is magic. Beauty ‘enchants’ a person, making them do such strange things. Why, even an angry man can change himself once he looks towards all this,” she held her hands out towards the scenery. “And suddenly would want to live here, change his ways, and become just as beautiful as this inside and out.”
 Minho took a moment to contemplate the explanation, and then gave one solemn nod.

 “I think woman change things the most, don’t you think? You know, whether they want to do it in a sweet way or a, you know, fiery way, it does that trick. I should know. I have Siwon after all.” Sooyoung gave a knowing smile, puffing up her chest and crossing her legs.

 Minho scoffed. “Please don’t do that to me.”

 Sooyoung’s chest deflated and she slouched back against the seat. Looking at her son, he looked back, and he suddenly laughed at her comical position. Sooyoung laughed in return, a mother and son finally sharing a moment that was so gray.
 This morning was getting even better. To think her son would even be in this calm and happy mood, it didn’t happen very often as it used to be.
 Once Minho had turned sixteen, his father immediately told him off, how he should be in charge and take control. Be serious. At least when out of the palace. Siwon had persuaded her to tell him the same, that a naturally stoic looking boy is what attracts females. Although Minho was happy enough to show his goofy side to his younger brothers, everyone else got a devil’s treatment. It changed him slightly, seeing as he was turning into his father. Powerful and bold. But a smile now and then for his mother, just his mother, was what Sooyoung couldn’t really ask for. Occasionally she would, and it would be a stiff smile that she received. Real ones like this, right now, was making Sooyoung love him even more.
 The two continued to laugh till they ran out of breathe, and she took the rest of Minho’s cream puff, eating it whole.

 He was happy enough to reach over and dap the cream off the corner of . As he did that, she asked, “What is this about magic, my son?”

 Minho the cream off his thumb. “Just a curious question.”

 “Well what answer would you give? Do you believe in magic?”

 Minho sat up. “I definitely think it exist. Not out in the open of course, and not in broomstick form. Maybe it’s in the sky. The trees. The flowers.”

 Sooyoung stared at him in contempt.

 “Magic really is a wonderful thing, mother. It hits you when you least expect it.”

 Sooyoung nodded. That was more of a unique answer then hers. And it sounded surprisingly plausible.

 “Girls have magic.”
 Out of the corner of her eye, Sooyoung saw Minho immediately look at her, giving a questionable look.
 “You wouldn’t happen to know any, do you?”

 Minho looked out towards the sky, staying silent for a moment.
 Then he said, “If I did, I would have so many questions.”

 Sooyoung nodded.
 It wasn’t really an answer she was looking for, but Minho opened up to her. Sort of. It was good to get an interesting opinion from him.

 For once in a long time, she saw a glimpse of what goes on inside his head.

 And thinking that this is all Minho would say, she stood up and gave him a kiss on top of his head. She picked up his book and hers and left out of the balcony.

                                                                                                    _____________  

 The palace is sort of busy for the time being. It was the afternoon so everyone was coming in and out of the kitchens for lunch time.
 As Minho walked through the hall, he ran into a few walking straight and tall, and trying so very hard to not make eye contact with him. The girls would cringe away from him and the men would glance at him but quickly glance back as if making eye contact with the devil was the last thing they’ll ever do.
 Minho thought of it as a little amusing.
 His recent talk with the kitchen staff yesterday was a fun one.

 After explaining that his affairs are his business and that if he was to ever really be in love with some snake woman, it would probably end up dead.
 Their reactions were priceless.
 It’s very rare for good and spicy kitchen gossip to actually find its way to the royal family, especially every single little detail.

 Minho could only imagine their reactions after he left.

 “How could he have possibly found out we knew something?”

 “His devil powers are all in the working.”
 
 “Someone must have snitched. No lunch for two weeks? We might as well kill ourselves now!”

 Minho even stopped one of the kitchen hands in the hall, telling him that if he didn’t have a steak with in his room in less than thirty minutes, the staff can try for no lunch for three weeks.
 He was bluffing of course. He just wanted to see the staff in a panic. But he really was hungry.

 Minho entered inside the library, immediately being hit with the smell of dusty and aged books. For a palace library it wasn’t really that big. The shelves creaked a little bit, and there was a fire place but its barley burned because the chimney hasn’t been properly cleaned. Chimney sweeps get old and cranky now a days.

 Minho walked through the old aisles, looking at the titles very carefully. Coming up to old history books, surprisingly he had found what he’s been looking for.
 The book had a blue cover and a picture of a glowing goddess holding out her hands and her head facing up. The title read Magic and History: A book on the Otherworldly Wonders.
 That ought to say something about magic and witches.
 Minho thought it would be a good idea to learn a little something about Yuri’s new history. He could read it and know something about magic. It would impress her.

 Skimming through the book for a first time look, he looked at the intricate titles and amazing illustrations as he walked out of the library.
 The book gave many previews of things he had never learned, and surprisingly, there was a spell or two in between the pages. No instructions or anything, just a few simple lines so short Minho wondered how any of them could create something magical.

 As Minho came close to the staircase, he heard a sound. A girl whimpering. Minho lifted his head up in attention.
 The girl whimpered again.
 Minho rolled his eyes. These silly maidens can sometimes hurt themselves from cleaning. He’d have to tell another one to it up and keep working.

 He slammed the book closed and started around the corner and surprisingly, it was not one figure beside the staircase, but two.

 His brother had taken upon himself to hold the girl against the wall and completely smash his lips against hers. It looked pretty rough but the girl seemed to enjoy it. Her bonnet was on the floor and his hand was underneath her cotton dress.

 Minho crossed his arms and cleared his throat loudly. The pair quickly pulled apart, revealing a blushing maid and a sort of disheveled Taemin.

 Minho raised his brows.
 “How unusual for you, little demon. At least have the decency to do it in private. You know, somewhere the queen and king won’t find you.” He made a point to give a look to the maid.
 She flinched at the mention of the king and queen and quickly scuttled away, bowing. But then she came back and picked up her bonnet, bowed again, and ran away.

 Taemin looked at him. “Why do you always like to ruin my fun?”

 “Fun?” Minho raised a brow. “I’m sorry. I was just trying to tell you how you should have done it. I couldn’t care less if you ed the girl senseless.”

 Taemin pursed his lips, going quiet.

 “But you know, I’m impressed. You had to balls to kiss a girl. Well done.”

 Minho raised his book again and proceeded to walk back to the front of the staircase. As he walked away, Taemin yelled, “You know at least when I flirt with a girl, she doesn’t run away. Like Martha.”

 Minho stopped in his tracks. He looked back and said, “And at least I don’t have to flirt with millions of other girls to make me feel better about myself.”
 With a sly smirk, Minho continued up the stairs, hearing a final grunt and a loud stomping fading away from the staircase.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________


 Coming in the ballet room a few minutes earlier this afternoon, Yuri paced the floor, pointing her toes with every step. She tried to get the feel of a straight foot into her toes, in order to not feel so stiff when practicing her dances.
 Flourishing with a tiny spin, her skirts slowly floated up. She spun all the way to the little tea set on the table, peering on to the plate as the little sugar cubes trembled.
 Yuri rubbed the one top slowly with the tip of her finger. She was sure to be gentle and still the little git snapped at her. Yuri quickly pulled back and walked back to the center of the floor.
 She slowly lowered herself into a split and stretched her torso down the middle.

 It it’s been a few hours into her day and it seems Minho won’t leave her thoughts even in classes. As young as she is, Yuri had still managed to fall in love and know when she did. She remembered the witch wind she created, how the garden slowly swayed behind them, and how close she was to Minho. He felt so radiant in her eyes, so passionate about his feelings for her. She hesitated only a little bit when Minho pulled her in for a kiss.
 When she had gotten home she couldn’t have felt any power. She slept with good dreams of the moment replaying over and over again, thinking of the softness of his lips. Apparently she had dreamed so hard her thoughts had manifested in real life. She woke up with a bed full of feathers. They covered her blankets, flurried in the air, and even got caught in her hair. She had no idea how to get rid of them so she fetched for a basket and put them in there. She’ll find a spell later. Or maybe even keep them. They’re just feathers after all.

 In thinking about yesterday and this morning, Yuri had lost herself in a day dream and stared at herself in the mirror, stuck in a split.

 “Oh my. Look how pale I am.”
 Tiffany held her leg in the bar and looked at herself in the mirror. As usual.

 “I am so shiny,” said Tiffany. “I must look like a pearl when I walk outside.” She gently patted her cheeks. “Maybe next time, I’ll put on a little more blush. Just a little thought. Don’t want to look like some Japanese geisha.”
 She looked back out her sister, who didn’t respond to her.

 “Enjoying yourself over there?” Tiffany called.

 Yuri’s head snapped towards her. “Sorry, Fany. What is it you wanted to say?”

 “My cheeks,” she pointed to them. “Aren’t they pale?”

 “You mean are they the same shade they’ve always been? Why yes, Tiffany. You are particularly white.”

 Tiffany looked back at her reflection, looking troubled at the thought of staying as pale she is.

 Yuri stood up and patted down her skirts.

 Taeyeon walked in, her light colored dress flowing behind her, and completely barefoot.
 As the sisters lined up beside each other, a second person came in the room after her.
 Donghae entered with a happy grin on his face.

 “Hello, Donghae,” Tiffany greeted with a bow.

 Donghae bowed back and walked to Yuri. He gave her a tight hug and a kiss on the cheek.
 “How is my favorite person in the world?”

 Yuri gave a stiff smile. “Fine, just, fine.”

 She had forgotten all about Donghae in her feathery thoughts about Minho.
 This ought to be an awkward moment for her. But right now, the least she can do is not give anything away.

 “Donghae wanted so much to visit the practice and stay the whole time this time.” Taeyeon walked in front of the three, smiling brightly.
 “Now I don’t want you getting distracted now. Pay attention and,” Taeyeon reached to Yuri’s cheeks and pinched them. “Smile pretty.”

 Yuri made a point to smile big and brightly, catering to her mother’s words.
 Donghae gave Yuri another squeeze against her shoulders and walked over the table and sat in the chair.

 Tiffany quickly stepped in front of Yuri. “Oh you might want to watch out for the sugar teeth. They can be a bit frisky.”

 Donghae looked at the trembling sugar cubes. The little finger pinchers didn’t pay him any mind, but that’s only because he wasn’t too close to them.
 
 “Oh that’s alright. I’m not thirsty for tea anyway.”

 Tiffany giggled.
 Yuri took notice of her sister’s reaction and moved her carefully back beside her.

 Taeyeon clapped to get their attention.
 “Alright little ones. Let me so those perfectly pointed toes.”

 The class went through half way with leg stretch exercises. Tiffany, as usual, was having a difficult time pointing her feet when doing her heel stretch. To her, it was just easier to not point her toes. She finally tried a little harder when Yuri and Donghae made fun of her for looking funny.
 “She can’t even hold her balance.” Yuri cried, smiling brightly.

 Tiffany pouted. “Shut up, you . . . stupid head.” She stuck her tongue out at her and Yuri did it back.

 “Girls, please.”
 Taeyeon held Tiffany’s raised ankle with care, looking at Tiffany’s foot slowly straightening to a point.

 “There we are. Perfect.”

 “Ha!” Tiffany yelled at Yuri, causing her to wobble.

 Taeyeon helped her put her leg down.
 
 “Arabesques, please.”

 Tiffany and Yuri got in their positions, standing as still as possible.

 As Taeyeon went over to move Yuri’s arm over a bit, Donghae asked. “Queen Taeyeon, when do your princesses perform after they learn these dances?”

 “Hmm,” Taeyeon raised Tiffany’s leg. “These little ladies would perform in front of kings and princes, any high ranking man, to find suitor. We pull them with our moves.”

 “And make them stay with our wit.” Yuri called when she changed her position.
 Taeyeon winked at her.

 “So how about free performances? Like, for fun?” Donghae asked.

 “Princesses don’t perform for free. And quite frankly, it’s sort of out-of-date, you know, ballet performances.”

 “Well do you just teach ballet?”

 “No. But it’s a must and I majored in it myself.”

 “You know what I smell right now,” Yuri said, sitting down to stretch her leg. “I smell something fishy.”

 “Maybe your sugar teeth have gotten rancid along with its attitude.” Donghae said, glancing at the little gits themselves.

 “That’s not what I’m talking about,” Yuri said, switching to the other leg. “I just think that maybe you are suggesting we perform.”

 “Well I didn’t say that, but what a marvelous idea, Yuri.” Donghae smiled.

 “Yeah right. You were thinking it.”

 Donghae stood, walking to the mirror.

 “Well I’ve seen you dance before and I just think it would be amazing to see it again, with others. The peasant folk doesn’t get to see it, and well, my grandfather’s a director.”

 “A director?” Tiffany looked up at him. “You mean like for films?”

 “A show director. For theatre.”

 Tiffany gasped. “That’s amazing.”

 “It may sound amazing but it’s actually a low paying job.” Taeyeon said, heading over to the mirror beside Donghae.

 “But people go to plays all the time. I remember when you and father took us to see ‘Poppy’. It was hilarious.” Yuri said.

 “There’s been a decline,” Donghae said, stepping forward. He was fiddling with his fingers, showing some nervousness.
 “It would be a great thing if you talking to my grandfather. He can organize a show for you girls. He’ll get money, you guys get to perform, and a lot of people will come to see it. It’ll be amazing.”

 “What a strange thing to ask of us, Donghae.” Taeyeon went over to the tray to put a few sugar teeth in a cup of tea. The tea slightly bubbled as the sugar teeth were spun inside the cup.

 “I know. Trust me, I want to see this, but I’m thinking of my grandfather.”

 Yuri looked at her mother, seeing the wheels spinning in her mind. They actually weren’t in a position to really perform in from of the whole kingdom. It was more for ladies who were looking to make a quick buck, like es, except sometimes actors made a lot more, depending on who they were. But Yuri loved to dance, and a performance wasn’t so bad. It sounded very exciting. And she wanted to do it. She never performed in front of a bigger crowd before, and it was a good opportunity to finally do so.

 “Your wedding is in a month, Donghae.” Taeyeon said, crossing her arms.

 “Yes, ma’am.” Donghae nodded.

 “So . . . it’s only appropriate to do it at that time.”

 “Wait, what?” Yuri said, raising her brows.

 “It would be perfect,” Taeyeon said, looking as if she was in the middle of thinking. “A performance on front of the groom-to-be. We can invite a few high rankers.”

 “More men,” Tiffany’s jaw dropped at the thought of boys seeing her dance.

 “Yes . . . . yes.” Taeyeon looked at Donghae, giving an approving look. “I accept the offer.”

 Donghae breathed out a laugh, as if he had been holding in his breath the whole time.

 “Thank you, miss Kim. You are amazing to accept.” He shook her hand softly but then Taeyeon abruptly let go and gasped.
 “Ms. Kim, what’s wrong?”

 “Omo, I only have month to figure out the dance, the stage, the clothes, the shoes, the choreography,”

 “Our hair, our makeup, some way to make me look less pale under all of those stage lights.” Tiffany fanned herself. “I heard those things feel like death when they’re all .”

 “So we’re performing at the wedding?” Yuri asked, looking at three of these people as if they were crazy.

 “Yes! And I must tell the planner we have something extra to plan.” Taeyeon put down her cup on to the tray, spilling some of its contents. “Class dismissed.”
 She left the room a quick hustle. Tiffany ran after her yelling about her concern over the lights. It was just Yuri and Donghae in the room.

 “Well that went well.” Donghae said, giving her a crooked smile.

 “Yeah, um, Donghae I think I better stay and practice a little bit more. I like to be perfect, you know.” Yuri tried to look happy, but a confused smile still stretched across her face.

 “Really? From what I saw, I think even Tiffany was a little jealous.” He laughed.

 Yuri laughed. “Yes but, I lose balanced too. You never know. I could break a leg.”

 “Well that’s putting meaning to the term.”

 Yuri laughed again. “Well you never know. People may actually be asking for it.”

 “They do. To not jinx it. It’s funny seeing woman desperately asking for someone to tell them to break a leg after someone just said good luck.”

 “Oh I would love to see that.”

 “Well why not?” Donghae said heading over to the tray. “It’s probably the best things to watch backst- ouch!” Donghae accidentally pushed the small tray of sugar teeth on to the floor, scattering the small little creatures. The flickered and trembled around Yuri’s feet.

 “Those little s.” Donghae the blood off of his finger.

 Yuri burst into laughter at Donghae’s random obscenity. “Donghae, that mouth!”

 “Oh I am so sorry, Yuri-ah. Now I see what the kitchen staff was talking about.”

 Yuri wiped a tear from her eye. “Don’t you worry. I’ll clean this up, you go entertain the rest of the woman. Maybe someone can calm her down while she screams shoes, dresses, makeup, oh my.”

 Donghae reach over to her and gave her his classic bear hug. With a final kiss on the forehead, he ran out of the practice room.
 As soon as he was out, Yuri cast a reversal spell that flew the sugar teeth and the broken plate back into place, all fixed like no one had even touched it.   

 Yuri sighed.
 She’s never been in this sort of situation. Of course, because she’s never been in love like this before.
 She was stuck.
 Stuck in between of truth and lies.

 She would never let this marriage go on, a one-sided relationship with one so lost in love and the other half . . . loving someone else.
 It’s no way to live. Not to mention that if everyone found out, it would make for a changed reputation.

 In this kind of situation, a witch would probably use magic. Magic can, supposedly, solve anything. But using magic on this was too difficult and Yuri would never manipulate the minds of her family, let alone Minho’s family.
 She had to think about this, and talk to someone.
 But who would understand?

 Hyoyeon already disagrees with her, she’s made that very clear.
 Tiffany is unpredictable. Yuri won’t know if she’ll blab or keep the secret.
 Her mother wasn’t going to help, not the way her father acts.
 There was definitely no one rooting for her, besides Minho. And what can he do? This could possibly ruin his reputation as well. And his brothers . . . Yuri didn’t want to even think about them.
 Yuri shuddered at the sudden memory of the engagement party.

 Walking to the mirror, Yuri walked along the golden railing. She looked at her reflection, not admiring her looks like Tiffany would, but looking into her eyes. The eyes that were so different, thanks to the magic. She did look different overall, and it surprised her how she never noticed it before. She just assumed she was growing up. But no, she was glowing, and her eyes were a lighter color. Not brown anymore, but hazel.
 She sighed.
 She opened , and what came out was a song that described her.
 
Karma Butterfly

 Its fascination

Did you realize it since then?

My true self has always been pushed

Inside this cage.

 

To the girl reflected in the mirror

I ask softly, who’s this girl?

Acting out someone else’s playing role

I don’t want to do it anymore.


 
Yuri runs to the center of the dance floor, and starts to dance. Dancing her whole heart out, letting her troubled emotions consume her. 

 

Release this feeling

Spread those wings and set me free

Getaway from fate

I’m a Karma Butterfly

This pulse won’t stop…stop...stop...stop beating

Until the battle life ends

Release this feeling

I’m a Karma Butterfly


 
Yuri sighed and held her head, thinking far too hard of the situation.

 

A sheer feather

Clothed like a celestial maiden.

Tinged with poison from my wings

The fragrant incense

 

I’m reborn, make a move

As I please...

I want to try to show a face

Which I’ve never shown anyone else before...


 “I’m not really an open book.”

 

Release this feeling

Spread those wings and set me free

Run away from fate

I’m a Karma Butterfly

I won’t go back, slip...slip...slip...slip...slipping through

It’s just a fabricated Battle life

Now is the time to release me

I’m a Karma Butterfly


 
As she gracefully walked around the room, her magic acted on its own. The tea tray floated up slowly from the table. Yuri could feel the floor and the walls vibrating, and the witch wind blew her hair to and fro.   

 

The thorns are still stuck

Even if I continue to fly

It doesn’t matter. I’ll keep on carrying it

Only heaven knows, only heaven knows… knows… knows…


 
The tea tray clattered to the table, spilling it’s contents on to the table and letting it drip to the floor. Yuri didn’t mind it. She continued to sing her heart out.  

 

Release this feeling

Spread those wings and set me free

Getaway from fate

I’m a Karma Butterfly

This pulse won’t stop…stop...stop...stop beating

Until the battle life ends

To the love I don’t see yet

Fly Karma Butterfly

 
All together the witch wind stopped and the walls were still. It was completely quiet in the room. Yuri was quite surprised ghosts didn’t show up.
 Yuri looked at the spilled tea on the floor. She sighed and raised her hand, getting ready to fix her mess. But she thought twice and suddenly didn’t want to look at the china anymore. How could she even let her magic get out of hand? If she can’t control this, then she wasn’t exactly in a position to control her situation.  
 She was calm now but questions still ran through her head.

 With a deep breath, Yuri ran out of the room.
 If magic was a problem within her, she knew who to call.
 And luckily it would be good to see a good friend after a long time.