The Ohayo-thing

My House of Oranges and Strawberries
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

11:29PM

 

/The lights are off and the rest of the class are fast asleep. The girls on the right side of the room while the guys on the other. Yamaa-sensei is sleeping in one corner./

 

Suzuka: (whispers) You can’t sleep?

Mirai: Eh? (sighs) Yeah~

Suzuka: Is it too early to be in bed?

Mirai: Hmmm~ Not really.

Suzuka: Hey, were you thinking about Kamiki-kun? or Yamada-kun?

Mirai: Ssshh~ Suzu-chan. (she immediately lifts up from her futon and looks around, trying to find someone awake, in the dark)

Suzuka: (pulls Mirai back) Everyone is already asleep. Even Umika’s knocked down.

Mirai: (covers the blanket over her chest) I wasn’t thinking of anyone in particular.

Suzuka: (smiles) Okay.

Mirai: Suzu-chan, how do you know when you like someone?

Suzuka: Eh? Why are you asking me that? You had the experience with Kamiki-kun, right?

Mirai: (sigh)

Suzuka: Try to recall the day you realized you like him.

Mirai: He’s popular, and smart…and good-looking, and really nice.

Suzuka: What did you feel about him then?

Mirai: …I feel like smiling…all the time. I’m always excited to see him at school.

Suzuka: Then, that’s it. (yawn) Getting sleepy. Good night. (closes her eyes)

Mirai: “Hmmm~ I wonder. I didn’t have those. I don’t feel like smiling…all the time. Not even excited to see himl. But…back then, (holds her chest) My heart was beating faster than usual. This has been happening recently. (shakes head) No! I only felt this way because Yamada-kun is being nice again. Woooh~ I really hate it when he’s nice. Need to annoy him more.” (closes her eyes to sleep)

 

 

 

5:30AM

 

Yamaa-sensei: (claps his hands) Wake up everyone! Wake up! By five minutes I want you all downstairs. (left)

/some started opening their eyes, others immediately lift themselves out from bed/

 

Umika: Mirai-chan wake up. (shakes Mirai’s body)

Mirai: (groans)

 

 

Yuto: Ryosuke seemed to be in deep sleep. I wonder what he is dreaming right now.

Shougo: He must be tired since he did a lot yesterday.

Chinen: Shouldn’t we be waking him up?

Yuto: You do it.

Chinen: No, I think Shougo should do it.

Shougo: No way! He’ll definitely get mad at me! Yuto should do it.

Yuto: No, Chii  should do it.

Chinen: No—

/this will go on and on/

Ryosuke: (eyes move) No need.

Hwuuaaahhh!!!

Ryosuke: (sits, eyes half-closed) Too noisy.

Yuto: That was Shougo.

Shougo: That’s not true!

/this will go on and on/

 

 

Umika: (in gentle voice) Mirai-chan, wake up. Wake up, Mirai-chan….Mi—hwuuah!

Mirai: Ohayo Pontaro! (greets loudly as she lifts her back up)

 

 

Ryosuke: (still eyes half-closed) Ohayo Mikan.

 

 

Mirai: Ohayo Ichigo.

 

 

/Yuto, Chinen and Shougo stopped fighting. Umika and Suzuka looked at each other. Others were weirded out and confused. Then all eyes slowly moved from Ryosuke to Mirai then back and forth/

Ryosuke: (eyes popped open) (he looks at his friends who were bewildered then to the other side of the room where Mirai was)

 

 

Mirai: (fakes a laugh) Isn’t it strawberry season?

Umika: Uh~ No.

 

 

Ryosuke: (immediately stands up and walks to Mirai’s direction and grabs her from the back, wrapping his arm around her neck) (flashes a stiff fake smile) (whispers) Need. To. Talk.

Mirai: (forcefully laughs) I’ll see you later, guys.

Ryosuke: (drags Mirai)

 

Shougo: (whistles) I knew it! You guys are dating! (grins)

Ryosuke: (glares at him, then closes the door with a big bam)

BAAAAMMMM!!! (door slams close)

Shougo: Or not. (looks at Yuto and Chinen) T^T He looks scary~

 

 

Meanwhile outside…

 

Ryosuke: (whispers) What were you doing?!

Mirai: I told you I can’t help it. My days starts with me greeting Pontaro in the morning.

Ryosuke: But Pontaro isn’t here!

Mirai: It doesn’t matter! It’s the first thing I do when I wake up! I can’t change that for you.

Ryosuke: Well you have to try!

Mirai: You’re the one who should try not saying “Ohayo Mikan”

Ryosuke: Then stop that “Ohayo Ichigo”-thing too!

Mirai: Fine!

Ryosuke: Deal?

Mirai: Deal!

 

 

Kamiki: (passes by meters away from them) (smiles silently)

Mayuko: Kamiki-kun! (smiles) Good morning!

Kamiki: Good morning. (smiles sweetly)

 

 

Mirai: (notices Kamiki, fixes herself)

Ryosuke: (glares at Mirai) I’ll be watching you. A single wrong move, I’ll crash your tiny bones.

Mirai: (horrified) Murderer!

Ryosuke: Not yet. You’re going to be my first kill. (glare)

Mirai: T^T Kowaiii~

Ryosuke: (turn back)

Mirai: (low voice) And I even consider falling for this ruthless creature.

Ryosuke: (suddenly look at  her above his shoulder) Are you bad-mouthing me?

Mirai: You’re a bipolar! Sometimes you’re nice but most of the time you’re NOT! I don’t like you at all!

 

 

Yamaa-sensei: Are you two fighting?

 

Mirai and Ryosuke’s eyes widened.

 

Ryosuke: (force a laugh) Oh no. We…We’re just…unnn…

Mirai: Talking!...Unnn… About some certain anime! Yeah. I was just quoting some of the lines. (looks at Ryosuke) Right? YA-MA-DA-KUN?

Ryosuke: Y-Yeah. HA-HA-HA-HA I am really impressed that you memorize the lines.

Mirai: (force a laugh) Oh~ It’s not a big deal. I know I’m great!

 

Yamaa-sensei: (looks at them suspiciously)

 

/suddenly phone rings/

 

Yamaa-sensei: (walks in a corner) Hello.

 

Mirai: (smile fades away)

Ryosuke: (whispers) (frown) Did you just call me bipolar?          

Mirai: Did I? HA-HA-HA-HA O

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter