Jota: School's Legend

Sriracha31's Sweet Selection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Title: School's Legend

Characters: Madtown's Jota (Lee Jonghwa), OC

She can still remember the first time she had heard of the story – 

She sat along with the other students out in the backfield of the high school that she would be attending in the fall. The entire group sat underneath the large oak tree that was the symbol of the school’s pride. It was orientation and like any orientation, the leaders, current students of the school would introduce the future students to the building they will be in for the next four years of their lives.

Yes, they spoke about classes, the teachers, the stresses of being a student…but they never failed to mention the legend that is passed down from one year to another. Always through word of mouth but it was too simple to ever forget it.

***

“I am going to find it.”

The young girl looked up at Miri upon hearing her random declaration. “What exactly?” 

“The charm – the pink pocket charm that Yoonhwa got for Sangbae as a way to show her love.” Once again, Miri does not fail to bring up the old school’s legend.

She snorted at her friend’s words.

“Juyeon, how dare you laugh at it?” Miri gasped.

Like one of the very few students in the school, Juyeon didn’t believe in it. “Think about it – a charm that is supposed to show you your true love.” That’s a lot faith on a single object. 

“But Juyeon.” Her friend quickly took a seat at the desk in front of her. “If this legend is passed down for years, don’t you think there is some truth in it?”

“Don’t be so gullible, Miri.” Juyeon scolded her. “Life doesn’t work that way.”

***

“What about him?” Miri asked while pointing across the canteen.

“No.”

“Juyeon, you didn’t even look.”

“Your taste in male students differs from mine.” Juyeon commented as she continued on her lunch. 

Though she heard her friend’s words, Miri wasn’t planning on giving up. “You like athletic guys –“

“I’m not going to like every guy out there who has muscles.”

“You like quiet guys –“

“Am I supposed to be the one talking all the time then?”

“You like smart ones –“

Juyeon stopped in thought. “That’s a very good quality to have.”

“Funny ones –“

“Yes, that too.” Yes, very necessary.

“Loyal –“

“I think everyone would agree with that, Miri.” 

“How about Lee Jonghwa?”

Juyeon shoots her a look. “Don’t just name someone that comes to mind.”

Miri clicks her tongue – “You’re so difficult. I’m running out of people to mention.”

“Besides, do you even know Jonghwa?” The guy barely talks in class – Juyeon couldn’t even think of what he’s known for among the female students. He was just quiet and very good at not causing any trouble.

“I know he’s a good judo athlete.” Miri was quick to point out. “All the students know that.”

Juyeon immediately takes back her previous thoughts. “Really?”

Miri nods. “He’s popular for being a good athlete.”

“Well, that’s interesting.” Though that’s what Juyeon stated, her real thoughts proved otherwise. That tidbit didn’t really matter to her. It’s not like she knew Jonghwa personally to really care. 

Miri leaned back in her chair upon realizing how Juyeon felt. “Here I thought you were really interested.”

“What do you want me to say? Good for him?” 

Her friend sighed before remembering what she needed to mention. “Juyeon, it’s happening tonight.”

“What is?”

“I’m going to stay after school to look for the pink pocket charm.”

“Miri, please don’t waste your time on that.” But Juyeon knew it was pointless. Her friend seemed so resolute about it. 

“Juyeon, this is where our friendship comes in – “ Miri crossed her arms upon her chest. “If you were really my friend, you would stay after to help me look for it also…if you ignore this, you aren’t my friend.”

Juyeon gaped at her words. 

“This is the real test of our friendship.” Miri adds.

“Don’t be ridiculous.”

“I’m serious.”

Very reluctantly and with a sigh, Juyeon gave her the answer she wanted to hear. “Fine. But, we’re not staying that long.” She refused to spend all her time on this useless search.

“You better stay after school, Juyeon.”

***

“Legend says Sangbae hid the charm where ‘life begins’ – I have limited it to this school. This is where students’ lives begin, right?”

Juyeon nods her head. “This entire school? That’s what you limited it to?” The building is huge.

Miri spins away from Juyeon. “As I was saying –“ She didn’t have time for Juyeon’s valid reasoning. A search needed to start. “It was said that Sangbae decided the hiding spot because his life began the moment he fell in love with Yoonhwa.”

“How touching.” Juyeon follows after her. 

“It’s so romantic.” Miri exclaims with her hands clasping upon her chest. 

“So how do you find your true love from a little charm?” 

“The first person that appears the moment you find it.” Miri explains with her eyes wide with excitement. 

Juyeon couldn’t help but smile at Miri little acts. “Alright, let’s go.” She tugs Miri along as they begin trailing the hallways. “Let’s get your true love.”

***

After searching the last of the rooms – Juyeon placed her hands on her hips before stretching out her back. This was as tiring as she had imagined. Possibly even more.

Searching little cracks here and there was no easy task. 

She wonders when Miri will give up.

Looking down the hallway, Juyeon decides to check a few more places before calling it. It was a legend to begin with – how true is it actually?

“Miri.” She calls out as she began to wander further down the hallway. “Miri, how long do you plan to stay here?”

She wasn’t too surprise when she heard no response. Her friend was probably frantically looking around and most likely, on a different floor. Getting close to the gym, sounds of something making contact against the exercise mats soon made Juyeon grow curious. She stepped out into the open when she re

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter