Daehyun: By Chance

Sriracha31's Sweet Selection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Title: By Chance

Characters: B.A.P's Daehyun, OC

“Hey, he thinks you’re pretty.”

Jiwon’s eyes followed the two boys that ran past her down the sidewalk. One smiled widely at her while the other was trying his best to pull his friend away from the scene. She tried to get a good look at his face but he was trying oh so hard to keep it hidden, embarrassed by the few but impactful words that came out of his best friend’s loose mouth.

But with his friend not easily budging, it was enough time for JIwon to catch a short glimpse of the hiding boy.

Jung Daehyun.

The boy that would occasionally fall in her line of vision whenever they passed each other in the hallway. Other than that, she doesn’t think they have ever exchanged any words with one another.

“Youngjae, let’s go.” This time, Daehyun tugged harder, forcibly removing his friend.

Before they could take another step, she took the chance to speak up. “Tell your friend that I think he’s quite handsome also.” She didn’t know if her words would make anything better but it was worth a try.

Youngjae’s smile briefly vanishes in surprise before a wide grin replaces it once more. “Did you hear that?” He turned to face Daehyun who couldn’t seem to wipe off the shock look on his own face. “She thinks you’re –“

Before he had an opportunity to finish his words, he was forced away while Jiwon was left watching the two stumbling over one another down the sidewalk.

“He’s in class 2B, right next to yours!” Youngjae could be heard shouting before Daehyun clamped a hand right over the boy’s mouth this time in a desperate attempt to save the situation.

And by chance, that marked the moment the two stole each other’s attentions.

***

Ever since that incident, both Jiwon and Daehyun found themselves self-conscious whenever they knew each other was within feet of them. Always meeting each other’s eyes but then turning away awkwardly.

Actions they were aware of but couldn’t seem to do anything about it because neither knew how to act in each other’s presences.

It was like there were unspoken words between the two but at the same time, they wouldn’t know what words to say even if they were to be put in front of each other and forced to begin a conversation. 

And one day, by chance, they found themselves together.

Cleaning duties. Classrooms 2A and 2B duties. 

“I can get the blackboard if you would like to sweep the classroom.” Daehyun breaks the silence but couldn’t get himself to meet her eyes even once. It makes it so much harder now that it was only the two of them. 

But on the contrary to Daehyun’s action, Jiwon made sure to look at him and nodded. “Sure, I can do that.”

And quietly, the two classmates got to work. 

And it was the same silence that bothered Jiwon quite a bit. After a few minutes of complete stillness in the classroom – with the exceptions of the sound of the broom brushing against the floor and the sound of the eraser moving across the blackboard – she decided to break it. 

“Did you change your mind?”

Daehyun snapped his head around startled by her sudden question. “…About what?”

Jiwon didn’t stop her movements and continued her task, dragging the broom across the brown hardwood floor of the classroom. “What you thought about me?” He should understand what she was hinting at, right? She didn’t exactly want to say the exact words that she would be reminded of every time her sights fell on him.  

“That…you’re – uh –“ 

Jiwon pushed away her shyness and forced herself to look up at Daehyun and caught his obvious sudden nervous gulp that interrupted his words. 

“Pretty?” She offered help and it made Daehyun drop his head in embarrassment once more. The familiar action spurred a smile to appear on her lips. If there was anyone more shy than she was, it would be this boy standing before her. This time there was no Youngjae for him to hide behind. 

Not catching her expression, Daehyun turned back to face the blackboard. “Y-yes. And about…me –“

“I still think you’re handsome.” The more she spoke, the more confidence Jiwon found herself filled with. A spark of giddiness spread across her body at the conversation they were currently having due to her own assertiveness. “In case you were wondering.” She added jokingly.

Daehyun took a quick glimpse of Jiwoni over his shoulder after gathering a bit of courage. “I was wondering.” He admittedly muttered before diverting his eyes. 

“Then why haven’t you spoken to me?” Stopping her task altogether, she clasped her hands on top of the broomstick and leaned her chin on them to focus all of her attention on the boy.

“…Why haven’t you spoken to me?” He questioned back as his hand fiddled with the board eraser. Though he had turned to face her, he still couldn’t lift his head j

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter