JongYu

Eidolon

Jinki loosened his tie, a sigh escaped him as the events of the day played in his head again. He could feel a headache coming up and he knew the only thing that could remedy it would be a hot cup of tea.

 

The end of the year was approaching and things had been pretty hectic at work, all the compilations, all the data, going through one after the other all through the day had left him pretty exhausted.

 

He drove right past Starbucks, not having enough patience for it, the noise and crowd would definitely give him a headache and hence he headed to the small cafe he knew a little further.

 

The sweet yet bitter scent of the air had an immediate effect on him and he found himself melting at that. He went up to the counter and ordered for his favourite long leaf brewed tea, he nodded when he was informed that it would take a few minutes.

 

“Here you go.” a tray carrying his cup was placed in front of him, he thanked the man, his lips pulling up at the corners at the smell that rose from the tea.

 

The first sip of his tea had him reeling in wonder, it was the best tea he had had. “Excuse me?” he addressed the man who had served him the tea.

 

“Yes?” the man asked.

 

“Can you tell me who made the tea?” Jinki asked, he definitely had to meet this person who could make such amazing tea.

 

“Is anything wrong Sir?” the worker asked.

 

Jinki could see the worry build up on the man’s face. “No it’s nothing actually, I just wanted to meet them, that’s all.”

 

“It was me.” the man said. “Do you not like it? Is it too sweet? Too bitter?”

 

Jinki couldn’t help the smile that formed on his face at the adorable flustered mess the man had turned into. “This is the best tea I’ve ever had.” Jinki said making eye contact with the man.

 

“Really?” the man asked, his eyes widening with hopeful pleasure.

 

“Yes.” Jinki nodded. “I think I’ll have another cup.” he said with a grin.

 

“Right away Sir.” The man said his lips pulling into an easy grin.

 

That was the beginning of an unexpected yearning Jinki never knew he had.

 

---

 

The next time Jinki met the man it was late in the afternoon, a week before Christmas. After attending the scheduled year-end meeting he had decided to head home sooner, thinking about dropping by the cafe to have a cup of tea and if he was lucky maybe he could chat up the cute barista.

 

Jinki walked out onto the driveway when he saw the valet bring his car over. Jinki couldn’t believe his eyes when he saw the face of the driver who had handed him the car, it was the barista.

“Oh?” Jinki said puzzled. “What are you doing here?” he looked at the silver nameplate pinned to the man’s chest, Jonghyun, he memorised.

 

“Sir?” Jinki saw bewilderment on the others face. “I never knew it was you the other day.” the other man bowed.

 

“What about your job as a barista?” Jinki felt disappointment, the thought of not being able to have tea brewed by this man upsetting him, not being able see him in a better ambience, and maybe not being able to see his shy smile whenever anyone complimented him.

 

“I still work there, just changed my shifts of a few days so that I could take up the job offered here.” Jonghyun said with a smile.

 

Jinki felt nervous at the next question that popped up in his head, he saw Jonghyun smile at him and he knew he had to ask. “At what time would I find you there?” Jinki felt his ears warm up after he spoke.

 

“Ah, tomorrow I have a morning and an afternoon shift at the cafe, but you can find me here in the evening. They day after tomorrow I have an evening shift in the cafe, so, let’s have a cup of tea then?”

 

Jinki saw the faint blush coloring Jonghyun’s features and he was glad he had asked the question. “Only if you are going to make the tea.” Jinki said which earned him a soft chuckle from Jonghyun.

 

“Oh sure.” Jonghyun said and he bid Jinki goodbye.

 

---

 

The next day before handing over the car to Jonghyun, Jinki stuck a post-it with his number on the dashboard, asking Jonghyun to send him a message when his shift starts so that he could make it in time.

 

---

 

Came the fated day of the promised rendezvous over tea and as the time ticked by Jinki found himself yearning for the other man’s company, his smile, his blush, more than his delicious tea.

 

When he walked into the cafe, the familiar sweet and bitter scent immediately calmed the nervous butterflies. He sat down on a corner table, waiting for Jonghyun to join him with the tea when his break began. He looked up when he heard a soft hey. One look and Jinki knew something was wrong. He saw the sweat clinging onto Jonghyun’s fringe, his ears and cheeks flushed, the slight tremble in his hold, and his pace quite slow. “Are you okay?” Jinki asked as Jonghyun sat down.

 

“I’m fine. Just a little tired. That’s it.” Jonghyun said with a small smile. “So how was your day?” Jonghyun asked.

 

“It’s going to become a good day after this tea.” Jinki said, his heart skipping a beat at the shy smile that Jonghyun gave him. He saw Jonghyun pick up his own cup to only have it spill as his hands shook and he fainted.

 

---

 

When Jonghyun came to his senses he found himself in a dimly lit room on a soft bed. He took in the warm and clean cotton pajamas that he was wearing and tried to get up.

 

“Hey, hey, easy there now.” he heard the soft familiar voice. “Your fever has gone down but you still are weak.” and he let Jinki lay him back.

 

“I’m sorry.” Jonghyun apologised. “I ruined it for both of us, I was looking forward to it too.” he added softly.

 

“It’s alright,” Jinki said as he combed back Jonghyun’s hair off his forehead with his fingers. “We can always go on a date again.” he said looking straight into Jonghyun’s eyes, hoping that the other realises what he meant. He saw Jonghyun’s eyes widen and his lips pulled up in a smile as he nodded.

 

“So what would you like for dinner?” Jinki got up from where he was sitting beside Jonghyun on the bed. “How does congee sound? I make really good congee and seaweed soup.”

 

“I think I would like that.”

 

“Your meal will be here in a few minutes, Sir.” Jinki said as he gave Jonghyun a playful salute, "Tea later?"

 

Jonghyun chuckled, "Sure." Jinki smiled and was off to the kitchen. The moment he was out a tensed relief formed on his face, which soon blossomed into a handsome smile. He had been so anxious seeing Jonghyun faint and the waves of emotions that washed over him on seeing him wake had made him realise something. No cup of tea, no remedy could calm him like how Jonghyun did.

 

And for having met Jonghyun, he was now actually grateful to his headache that fateful day.

 

Not to mention, everything just made him love tea a bit more.

 

 


A/N:
Hope you like it ^^