JongYu

Eidolon

 

Jinki was 10 when he had first seen Jonghyun. He had been playing with the doh when he saw a small, pale looking boy walk in. He reminded Jinki so much of himself from when he had come here a year back. He saw the boy follow the matron inside her office and he hoped the boy at least find a little happiness like him.

 

That night Jinki got to know that the above bunker had been assigned to the new boy. He lay awake in bed, excitement and nervousness making it hard for his little heart to sleep.
But he couldn’t even say a word when the boy approached the bed. His words had been swallowed when he got a glance at the boys face as he climbed up the small ladder, his eyes twinkling with sadness, with all the unexpressed emotions, all the unsaid words.

 

That night Jinki couldn’t sleep, the boy’s face swimming across the folds of his mind along with the faint sobs he could hear coming from above.

 

The very first thing he did when he woke up was find out the boy’s name.

 

Jonghyun.

 

He called upon him after he found out and Jonghyun though responded dismally, there was no rudeness in him. Jinki was elated that Jonghyun was not sad and angry enough to isolate himself.

 

Over the next few days Jinki took it upon himself to show Jonghyun around the orphanage, he accompanied him whenever and wherever he could, doing what he had wished someone had done for him when he had come here first.

 

Jonghyun went with the flow, uncaring after what had happened to him, uncaring of what lay ahead, uncaring of every little thing.

 

Jinki understood and though he did not give up talking to Jonghyun, there were times he distanced himself, the times when Jonghyun wanted to be left alone, to hide and cry, but would never say.

 

One night Jinki couldn’t keep back when Jonghyun cried and he climbed up, instantly enveloping Jonghyun from behind and humming the lullabies his mother used to sing him to sleep. Jonghyun was taken aback, but soon Jinki’s soft voice and warm hold relaxed him, his sobs lost momentum and his body stopped shivering.

 

Jinki waited for Jonghyun to stop sniffing, to quieten, for his face to gain peace, and when he saw that happen, he gently moved away, lowering his voice and finishing the song.

 

But Jonghyun caught his arm, “Please,” He whispered, his fingers wounding tightly around his arm, his hold repeating his plea.

 

Jinki looked to Jonghyun and nodded, smiling slightly as he winded his arms around Jonghyun again.

 

----

 

From the next day onwards, Jonghyun clung onto Jinki, following him everywhere, being more enthusiastic, more bright and kind, wanting to do each and every little thing with Jinki and only Jinki. When they were alone Jonghyun requested him to sing the songs and lullabies he had hummed the night before.

 

They sat down in Jinki’s bed, Jonghyun pressed into Jinki’s side, his little fingers playing with the band around Jinki’s wrist as he listened to Jinki’s sweet voice belt out hopes and dreams, soothing the inner turmoil within him.

 

Jonghyun let out a chuckle when Jinki sang a part of the song by making his voice go deep, Jinki gave him a sheepish grin and he continued on with the song.

 

“Oh won’t you come with me
Where the moon is made of gold
And in the morning sun
We’ll be sailing free,

Oh won’t you come with me
Where the ocean meets the sky
And as the clouds roll by
We’ll sing the song of the sea.”

 

“Does such a place exist?” Jonghyun asked when Jinki was done with the song.

 

“I believe so.” Jinki replied softly, lacing his fingers with Jonghyun’s.

 

When the matron came by in the evening to call them down for dinner she found them both fast asleep.

 

From then onwards, Jonghyun snuck into Jinki’s bed every night or he would call Jinki up beside him. Without Jinki by his side Jonghyun couldn’t fall asleep, fear, loneliness, sorrow, plaguing his mind in Jinki’s absence.

 

---

 

They became inseparable, Jinki being the only one who Jonghyun communicated to. They talked to matron about them not being ready for adoption, they didn’t wanted to part. After a lot of pleading the matron conceded, but on the condition that the boys agree to attend the small classes that were held in the orphanage and not playing hooky like they have been for the past few weeks.

 

When Jinki came of age, as a rule of the orphanage, he was required to leave. He left the orphanage and rented an apartment near his college which he had got into through scholarships. Jonghyun was sad nonetheless, he cried too, but let Jinki go, he knew he couldn’t stop him.

 

Jinki promised to visit him every week and left with a chaste kiss and a promising smile.

 

---

 

Two years of without Jinki by his side had let Jonghyun succumb to the clutches of insomnia. Though Jinki did visit him like promised, but it wasn’t enough, it was never enough. But now, it didn’t matter. He was of age too, 18, and he could leave the orphanage.

 

He had memorised the address Jinki had given to him when he had come to visit him the last time. He switched the trains just like Jinki had explained and walked to Jinki’s apartment.

 

He knocked on the door, once, twice, waiting with a hammering heart for Jinki. A few seconds later Jinki opened the door and Jonghyun embraced him in a crushing hug, making Jinki chuckle.

 

“I missed you.” Jonghyun mumbled against Jinki’s lips before he caught them in a kiss.

 

Jinki helped him set out his luggage and helped him settle down in small cozy apartment.

That night they ordered take out in celebration of their reunion and soon retired to bed.

 

“Jinki sing for me, please.” Jonghyun requested sleepily.

 

Jinki pulled Jonghyun closer as he sang the songs and lullabies of their memories, ending with Jonghyun’s favourite.

 

“You know I think I’ve found that place,” Jonghyun mumbled on the brink of sleep, looking Jinki straight in his eyes as his fingers traced his features.

 

Jinki kissed his forehead, “And so have I, Jonghyun.”








 


A/N:
The song/lullaby that Jinki sings is this. I highly recommend this movie, it's so amazing and so beautiful ♥