MinKey

Eidolon

 

Minho rushed to the front as soon as the auditorium doors opened, catching onto the railing so that he wouldn’t stumble or fall as the other fans started piling in too. He stood his ground when he was shoved once or twice, but he wouldn’t move. He had saved up for this concert, working double shifts the past two days so that he could take a day off today to attend it.

The lights dimmed and Minho felt his breath catch when he heard the auditorium break out in cheers. He couldn’t bring himself to scream like the others, he still couldn’t believe it. Couldn’t believe that he was finally going to see him, Kibum, the person whose voice had had him entranced since the past two years.

 

 


 

It was during his summer holidays when Minho was loitering about at home, complaining how bored he was, sighing at the end of every hour as he had nothing to do, when he had stumbled upon a boy singing along to the guitar he played. At first it was the voice, then his charming looks, his warm personality but most of all it was the determination and the hard work he saw the other put in in each of his performance, fulfilling his dreams, that left him enraptured, motivating him to put in extra effort to achieve his dreams. And hence the next day Minho found himself enrolling into computer language workshops.

 

Minho blinked, the screams, the cheers entering his mind again as he saw a silhouette walk to the front amidst the smoke.

Kibum started off with introducing himself then thanking all the staff that had helped him with the concert and last but not the least the fans, because of whom it was all possible.

Minho’s heart raced along with the strums of the guitar strings, Kibum was starting off the concert with his favourite song, the first song he had ever heard.

Three hours later Minho found himself staring at the exit on the stage where Kibum had last waved at them all. He walked to the taxi stand with steps heavy with fatigue and heart heavy with happiness. His mind was still in the euphoria that it used to climb whenever he heard Kibum’s deep voice through the speakers. That night, even though he was exhausted he couldn’t fall asleep, his mind jittery with the emotions that he had felt during the evening.

A week later Minho found himself humming along to one of Kibum’s new songs as he wiped down the cups and glasses Jonghyun kept pushing his way.

“Oh Geez.” Jonghyun said as placed the last cup in front of him. “I’m gonna tape your mouth if I hear you singing that song again.”

Minho threw the slightly damp rag on Jonghyun. “At least this is better than all those love songs you sang when Jinki asked you out.”

Jonghyun threw the rag back, earning a scowl from Minho when it hit him on his face, “At least he likes me back.” Jonghyun teased, as he waved his phone in front of Minho, showing off his new lock screen, a picture of him and Jinki kissing.

Minho made a face at him and busied himself with arranging the crockery. He turned around when he heard the door open and almost dropped the cup he had in hand.

Kibum pushed in through the glass doors, greeting anyone he made eye contact with and settled down into one of the cushioned seats in the back.

“Hey!”  Jonghyun hissed, as he hit Minho. “Hey!” he hissed again.

Minho turned around, his eyes wide, his heart pounding against its cage.

“That’s him isn’t it? Kibum? The one you’re in love with?” Jonghyun asked again his lips pulling up in a grin at the state Minho was in.

Minho nodded slowly, chewing on his lower lip.

“Go, take his order then!” Jonghyun exclaimed.

“Shh!” Minho quietened him and dragged him to the store room in the back.

“Go to him!” Jonghyun exclaimed again.

“I can’t!” Minho whined. “I’d definitely make a fool of myself in front of him.”

“No you won’t. Trust me!” Jonghyun said as squeezed Minho’s shoulders reassuringly. “You don’t shut the door in the face of opportunities, when they push through your door!” Jonghyun proclaimed.

Minho shook his head, he could already feel the nervous butterflies just at the thought of it.

“Hey, look at me.” Jonghyun said, directing Minho’s lost attention towards him again. “You remember? I was just like this when Jinki had come in through those same doors, and, you had reassured me, told me to just give it a try? And now look where am I!”

“It’s different now Jonghyun,” Minho said softly.

“No it isn’t.” Jonghyun asserted. “I’m not telling you to ask him out, that would certainly freak him out.”

Minho nodded, his mind processing every single word Jonghyun spoke.

“All I’m telling you is just talk to him, tell him how you feel about his music, how it has helped you mature and realise your dreams. Okay?”

Minho nodded back unsurely.

“Now go, it’s bad to let your customers wait for you.” and Jonghyun pushed Minho towards the door.

Minho walked up to Kibum, his little notepad clutched tightly in his hand.

“Wh-what would you like to or-order?”

Kibum smiled at him in greeting and Minho could feel his insides melt at that, he held on to the little book tighter, tearing it at the edges.

Minho walked back with Kibum’s order clutched tightly in his palm and gave it to Jonghyun who was behind the counter.

“I’m not making it.” Jonghyun said as he moved away from the counter, “I’ve got some cleaning to do.” he said raising his eyebrows towards the table Jinki was at.

Minho groaned, he promised himself that he would never ever cover shifts for Jonghyun again. He moved behind the counter, turning on the machine. He looked up to find Jonghyun talking to Kibum. Kibum turned in Minho’s direction, a small smile on his face. Minho immediately hid behind the machine when his eyes met Kibum.

“So your friend tells me you’re a fan of mine.” Kibum said softly when Minho placed his coffee and pastry in front of him.

Minho swore he was going to kill Jonghyun. “Y-yes.” he squeaked. He cleared his throat, “Yes,” he said again in that deep voice of his he used when he had to impress someone.

“Thank you.” Kibum smiled at him, as he took a sip of his coffee.

All words deserted Minho then.

“Would you like me to sign for you?” Kibum offered when he still saw Minho standing.

Minho shook his head, his ears pink, he apologized, and left the man alone to enjoy his order.

Minho tried to distract himself, no matter what he did his eyes would end up on Kibum and a few times Kibum caught him staring. Kibum smiled at him the first time, but the next time he stared back at Minho, making the blush spread about his face.

Minho gave up on staring at Jonghyun and Jinki when he noticed Kibum get up. Kibum waved at him when his eyes met with Minho’s and left.

Minho sighed, his shoulders sagging in relief. He was never going to forget this day.

“Had fun?”

Minho turned towards Jonghyun, a scowl on his face, “Thank you so much,” he said his voice dripping with sarcasm, “I’m sure he thinks I’m a creep!” he groaned.

“Well that’s what you are, I could feel you trying to burn me with your glare. And oh yeah, you gotta clean up. I’ve got a date to go to.” and Jonghyun ran off to the changing rooms before Minho could say anything.

As Minho cleared up the table Kibum sat at, he found an oddly sticking out tissue in the tissue holder. He pulled it out, opening it when he found ink marks on it.

“You make good coffee and you’re cute. I think I’ll drop by tomorrow too.”

Minho couldn’t help the noise that left him, he apologised when a customer turned towards him, adding onto the colour on his face. He thanked all gods when he checked the calendar, tomorrow was Jonghyun’s day off.

 


A/N:
Ooh I like this AU!xD
Hope you like it!:)