JongYu

Eidolon

 

 

Jinki walked the street hurriedly, his house being just a couple of blocks away from Jonghyun’s, who he had met a while ago in the last gallery his mentor and friend, Soonkyu (also Jonghyun’s mother) had held in the summer.

 

Jonghyun was a foreign return, adorable young man (he recently turned 20) and though he had requited his feelings to him, the fact that they were ten years apart made them uncomfortable here and there. It was never a problem between them, but the problem was what the others said. Jinki gladly turned deaf to such gibberish, but Jonghyun was the sensitive type, always taking every little thing to heart. He hadn’t yet ever brought out the topic of their ever since Jinki had asked him out and said that it’s fine, but the way Jonghyun seemed a bit depressed now and then, had gotten Jinki thinking.

 

He had sworn that he would be there for Jonghyun no matter what, and hence tonight, he was running from his neighborhood to Jonghyun’s, giving up on his car because he couldn’t find the damn keys in his hurry, all because Taeyeon (Jonghyun’s elder sister; he had two more, Sodam, the middle one and Gwiboon the eldest sister who was same age as Jinki) had called and said there was something wrong with Jonghyun tonight.

 

Jinki’s eyes widened as soon as SoonKyu opened the door to her house. The smell of baking cheese wafted through the air, but it wasn’t the smell that had his eyes widened but the music that was blaring through the living room. The slow karaoke music was overshadowed by a rich and deep voice belting out sorrowful lyrics about a broken heart and the pain. He was sure he had heard a few sniffles and hiccups too.

 

He followed SoonKyu to the living room where he saw her three daughters seated around the coffee table and Jonghyun standing in front of the tv, a mic in hand, as he sang along to the lyrics on the screen.

 

“Jonghyunnie,” he heard SoonKyu call out to Jonghyun. “Seriously, what’s happening here?” she asked her daughters when her call fell upon deaf ears.

 

“He’s so cute, isn’t he?” Taeyeon giggled as she took another picture of Jonghyun.

 

Jinki couldn’t help the smile that broke out on his face. Yes, Jonghyun was an endearing sight to behold.

 

“Gwiboon?” SoonKyu asked her eldest child, her brows furrowing.

 

Gwiboon sighed as she saw Jonghyun select another sad song. “Minho’s hamster ran away.” She groaned at the music that began to play.

 

“He’s been crying since the time he’s back. Minho called up too, but he refuses to talk and in his crying fit he began drinking.” Sodam said gesturing to the numerous beer cans littered on the coffee table.

 

“Please stop him,” Gwiboon whined. “He isn’t listening to anyone.”

 

“You can’t stop me.” he said turning around finally. His eyes widened when he saw Jinki standing behind his mother. He slowly walked to Jinki, the alcohol in his system making his movement sluggish.

“Am I dreaming?” he asked as he ran his fingers along Jinki’s jaw.

 

Jinki hummed at Jonghyun’s touch.

 

“Noona, am I dreaming?” he asked his sisters.

 

“No you are not Jonghyun.” Sodam said on her way to kitchen when the oven timer sounded. Her mother followed her too, shaking her head at the fool of a son she had.

 

Jinki looked curiously at the remaining two in the room.

 

“He was saying how insensitive we all are that the news of Minho’s hamster doesn’t saddens us.” Taeyeon decided to answer, flipping the images in her cam, “He said his Jinki would understand him, would know how it’d feel. Heck I talked to Minho too, he didn’t seem sad, being his girlfriend and a hamster-sitter during his exams, even I am not that sad. More so, Hammie escaped his cage a week ago.”

 

“We were gonna call you and tell you to take him away, but he didn’t let us, said you’d be busy with your gallery.” Gwiboon said. “Please take him away, I can’t stand it anymore.” and she went to the kitchen.

 

Jinki pulled the man in front of him in his embrace, winding his arms tightly around the other. “It’ll be alright,” he whispered.

 

Taeyeon took a last picture of the couple in front of her and joined her sisters and mother in the kitchen.

 

“Shh,” Jinki said as he pulled back. He wiped the fresh tears that began to flow. He kissed Jonghyun on his forehead when Jonghyun’s fingers tightened around his shirt. He kissed Jonghyun on his eyes and slowly kissed him on the lips. “What is it?” he asked as he brushed the soft strands off Jonghyun’s face.

 

Jonghyun looked up at Jinki, his lower lip quivering under Jinki’s gaze and silent tears began flowing again.

 

Jinki kissed Jonghyun on his nose and he entwined their fingers as he led them to the kitchen. “I’m going to put him to bed.” Jinki informed, he left when he got affirmative nods around the kitchen.

 

They slowly walked up the stairs, with Jonghyun completely leaning onto Jinki for support. Jinki made Jonghyun sit on the bed as he dimmed the lights and helped Jonghyun into his pajamas. He got rid of his own jacket and shoes and got into bed beside Jonghyun. He let Jonghyun snuggle into his side, he Jonghyun’s back, waiting for the other man to speak up whenever he was ready.

 

“Today,” Jonghyun began softly when his sniffles had subsided, “they were making fun of you at college.”

 

Jinki remained silent; his silence ushering Jonghyun to continue.

 

“They all said you’re too old, won’t know how to keep me happy, that’s it’s just a temporary phase. I fought back, told them you are the best, that you know me best. Told them what if we are ten years apart? it doesn’t matter as long as we love each other.” He sniffed, “They said you'd definitely leave once you’ve had enough of me, you’d leave when you find someone closer to your own age, you’d leave when you find someone better than me.”

 

“Oh Jonghyun,” Jinki whispered, pulling him closer into his arms, “That’s all nonsense, okay?”

 

Jonghyun shook his head, “They said our would become a problem we can never avoid.”

 

Jinki sighed. His mind was running a marathon. Jonghyun had finally come clean to him with all his insecurities, his moist eyes were full of his fears, fears even Jinki once had, but now he didn’t because he had seen what he had felt in Jonghyun’s eyes and his smile. And that was when Jinki knew how to rid Jonghyun of these unnecessary thoughts.

 

“Please don’t leave me,” Jonghyun whispered against Jinki’s ear, making him break from his thoughts. Jonghyun wrapped his arms around Jinki in desperation and Jinki wrapped his arms around Jonghyun too, feeling his warmth, feeling his bursting heartbeat against his own.

 

He loosened his hold to be able to face Jonghyun, “Hey, look at me.” Jonghyun blinked, looking into Jinki’s eyes. “Do you think I am ever gonna leave you? I am not that easy to get rid of, you see.” He smiled brightly, “There’s so much we jotted down and promised to do with each other, I am a man of promises and-”

 

Jonghyun had pulled Jinki into a kiss, breaking away softly with a smile, “I love you, Jinki.”

 

Jinki smiled back, ruffling his hair, “I love you, too.”