Seeking comfort

Meant to Be

Yoona is pacing back and forth in front of the office room anxiously.

Park Eunji. A tag with that name is hanging on the door.

After the meeting, Mr.Kang asked Eunji to briefed the fashion journalist about the fashion project and the upcoming exhibition.

They are now settled on Eunji’s office, and Yoona doesn’t have the slightlest idea about what the two woman are talking about. The work, obviously. But is that all? Will Eunji do something or say anything that can hurt her wife?

Oh, how much Yoona wished that she can do something about it. That she can work with Sooyoung, and just her. That maybe she can get Eunji out of the picture. Because clearly, this doesn’t seem good for her marriage.

She is well aware that she is one of that person who hurts Sooyoung, heck, she knows she is mostly the cause behind Sooyoung’s pain. And she knows that Sooyoung doesn’t need any more of it, especially from someone who had an affair with her wife.

Yoona is so close to tears. She really is.

This is really beyond her understanding.

A really scary coincidence.

Right, she should have believed in karma. That what she did, eventually will be back on her, punishing her back for the things she had done.

It wasn’t that long when the woman Yoona has been waiting for is walking out from the door. Yoona may not be able to check her watch, too busy with the thought of what may happened or looking for a way to make this better. At least, for her wife. She does really have a lot to make up.

But Sooyoung expression is cold and emotionless, the very same face Sooyoung shown since she found out that she will be working with both the woman whom she doesn’t want to see in the same time right now. It is the same expression Sooyoung wore when she told Yoona about her sudden trip to Jeju, the same expression Sooyoung had when she asked for divorce, and the very same one Sooyoung put when she gave her wife the cold shoulder.

Surely, learning from experiences, that is never good.

Yoona caught her co-worker’s expression through the opened door before it automatically closed.

Eunji is sitting still on her leather couch, legs crossed, arms crossed on her chest, watching Sooyoung walked out from her office. Her expression is unreadable.

Yoona doesn’t wait before she slid her fingers in between Sooyoung’s holding Sooyoung’s hand tightly, and quietly pull the woman to follow her to the other side of the floor.

They  arrived in front of Yoona’s office. And Yoona is as quickly to open the door, stepped in, and shut it after they both are inside.

As soon as Yoona has her wife’s back on the door, she is searching for the latter’s eyes. And that is when she realized, that Sooyoung’s gazes fell to the couch in her office.

A spot where they used to share so much loves, is now remind her of something she wished she would never see. For once, the place she loves to visit turned into nightmare.

The flooding images are starting to suffocate the tall woman. Her chest is hurting so bad.

Some memories can not just dissapear, no matter how much, or how hard they tried to erase them.

Yoona’s heart clenched, reached Sooyoung’s left cheek with her hand as she caressed gently.

“..Sooyoung?”

Sooyoung was brought back from the painful memories. But instead of meeting her wife’s eyes, Sooyoung turned to the other side of the office.

No, her heart can just take so much in a day.

Yoona hold Sooyoung’s hand tightly, while the other hand is still on Sooyoung’s cheek “..do you want to talk?” she asked quietly, hoping that Sooyoung could share a little of her pain.

“..I have nothing to talk about.” But of course, Yoona expected Sooyoung’s reply.

Yoona nodded silently. How could Sooyoung shared her pain when most of it was caused by her?

So with no words, Yoona wrapped her arms around Sooyoung’s waist, leaning her side facade on Sooyoung’s shoulder.

It feels like forever since last time they hug. Yoona missed this, a lot. A lot more than she thought she did.

Sooyoung doesn’t move, not trying to shove Yoona away from herself, nor responding to the hug either.

Yoona knows that Sooyoung is tired of her apology, and it clearly can not do so much for the sin she committed. Sorry can change nothing, nor fixed anything.

Yoona pulled slowly, but then, Sooyoung is standing still, eyes still nowhere on hers.

Yoona bit her lower lip, trying to keep her self for not crying “...do you want to have lunch together later?” she asked, giving a weak smile.

“..I have work to do.”

Of course Yoona understands that today is the first day Sooyoung is back to work since her hospitalization so her wife must have quite some things to do. But Yoona just wished if Sooyoung can talk to her more like she used to do or voluntary explain what work she had to do with so many words when she won’t stop unless Yoona kissed her like she always did.

“..okay..” Yoona nodded, rubbing Sooyoung’s arm gently “dinner?” she tried again.

“Don’t wait for me.”

Yoona really is trying her best not to cry. She really does. But Sooyoung’s coldness, which is new for her, is hurting her so much more than she can deal with. She can never get used to this. Never.

“Okay..” Yoona nodded again, trying to give another smile, swiftly wiping the tears that falls from the corner of her eyes “le—let me walk you to your car.”

“..I can find my own way.” Sooyoung emotionlessly spoke.

Yoona took a pause, really trying not to give up to the tears that again, threatening to fall.

Sooyoung is putting some distance between them again. And very likely because the absurd coincidence of the partnership.

“..okay..” Yoona quietly mumbled, afraid if she be any louder, her voice will crack, and she will cry again “take care.” She said “I will call.”

Sooyoung nodded once, turning and without saying anything, walking out from her wife’s office. She needed to breath, something she couldn’t do in a place with the thought and the pictures of the love of her life is slipping away from her.

Yoona is watching until Sooyoung reached the lift, and right after the door closed, Yoona shut her office door, falling to the floor with tears are running down her face.

For once and again, she feels her inside breaking piece to piece, as if her soul is leaving slowly from her body.

People said time can heal. Yoona knows it was very wrong.

Nothing can heal her. She knows, only Sooyoung can.

Only Sooyoung can.

-----

 

It was a little later when a very hurried Tiffany barged into her friend’s office “I heard about it.” She said as soon as she seated across Yoona’s.

Yoona looked up when the door opened and watching her friends walking closer to her table as the door closed automatically.

“How’s the meeting going?” Tiffany worriedly asked.

Yoona stopped from doing her paperwork, folding her arms on the table “bad.” She said “very bad.”

“Oh my.” Tiffany sighed, her body slumped on her seat “..what happened?”

Yoona took a short pause when the images from nearly an hour ago come through her again before she said “she couldn’t even look me in the eye.” Her eyes are wet with tears.

Tiffany stared at her friend emphatically. There is nothing she can do.

“What can I say.” Yoona shrugged before she wipes her fallen tears “I brought this to my self.”

Tiffany heaved a sigh “can I do something?” she offered.

Yoona is very aware that nothing she can do nor Tiffany does that can change things “Sooyoung barely talks to me lately.” Yoona smiled weakly “she may needed some friends to talk to. She couldn’t overthinking all her problems now, I don’t want her to stressed herself.”

“Sure.” Tiffany smiled gently.

Yoona nodded.

There is another silence before Yoona spoke “..where were you?” hey brows narrowed “did you have breakfast with Jessica?” she asked “how’s things with Jessica?”

“Oh, nope.” Tiffany replied “I went with a friend.”

“Friend?” Yoona’s brows furrowed deeper “You always have breakfast with Jessica.” Yoona said. If the four of them don’t have breakfast together, they will have theirs separately, as in like another romantic breakfast. Yoona’s eyes widened when realization hits her. Of course she had got her sermon from Jessica, but the blonde didn’t say anything about what happened to her and Tiffany, and Yoona is too scared to ask that time in the hospital garden when she talked eye-to-eye about the cheating thing, well, mostly Jessica was doing the talking “your upcoming marriage—don’t tell me--..”

“Don’t worry.” Tiffany cut “we had a fight. But we will be fine.” She assured. She is indeed worried though. The marriage is like two weeks from now, but there is still no evident if it will be held that time.

Yoona’s eyes narrowed “are you sure?”

“Yeah, don’t worry.” Tiffany replied. After ditching Jessica’s call couples of times, the call stopped coming and somehow, Tiffany is starting to get anxious. She was just wanting to see how far this blonde woman she loves is wanting this marriage, but Jessica seems to dissapear.

Yoona looked her friends in the eyes. That doesn’t sound convincing. But she knows that she shouldn’t bother about someone else’s relationship when she is deep into some mess with hers.

“Who is this friend you are having breakfast with?”

“Oh, it is Siwon.” Tiffany replied with honesty. There is really nothing between them “a high school friend.”

Yoona’s eyes again, widened “the guy Jessica hated so much.”

Tiffany chuckled with the memories about her jealous girl “yeah, exactly that one.”

Of course Jessica has bring it like few times during their conversation. Jessica would told stories about this guy who tried to take Tiffany from her everytime someone tried to flirt with the girl. Of course while hiding how proud she is to own Tiffany and to win the girl’s heart over a really popular guy in high school.

“It was just breakfast.” Tiffany giggled by Yoona’s surprised expression. It is evident that Tiffany doesn’t take it seriously.

“Are you sure?” Yoona asked.

Tiffany nodded.

“Jessica will kill the man if she found out.” Yoona added.

Tiffany giggled. Again, it remind her of this certain blonde. Her heart warmed just by the image of Jessica. And somehow, she missed Jessica even more “I know, right.”

Yoona shook her head slowly, not a smile shown “be careful, Tiff.” She sighed “don’t get yourself in trouble.”

Tiffany’s smile is gradually dissapeared, nodding “it is nothing.” She assured once again.

Yoona used a pause before she spoke “I thought it was nothing to.” She said “with the dinner thing.”

Tiffany nodded quietly, knowing what Yoona meant.

“But before I knew it, that ‘nothing’ has crushed my marriage slowly.” Yoona spoke, but she wore a small smile after “I just don’t want you to do that mistake I did.” She said “Jessica can be hard most of the time.” She said “but she loves you so much.”

Tiffany nodded “I will keep that in mind.” She humbly said. Knowing Yoona doesn’t want her to mess the best thing in her life. And knowing that Jessica loves her too.

Tiffany took off later then to her office after a small talk. She has a lot of works to do either.

Yoona leaned on her seat. Hours after hours, trying to divert her mind from this certain woman to her work, which she failed to do. Yoona found herself ended with planning a dinner for them. A surprise dinner though, knowing Sooyoung sounded sure that she may go home late tonight.

Of course, Yoona couldn’t wait until dinner. So, the order will be like buying dinners for take out, stopping by to a flower shop, and buying their favorite dessert. And then, she is all ready to meet her wife.

But of course something can just not go as people planned.

It was then when Yoona is done with work a little bit late, ready to leave when she received a text from an unknown number that crushed her heart again, and again.

 

Sooyoung is with me. She is falling asleep at the apartment. Let’s talk.

-Taeyeon-”