Numb

Meant to Be

As much as Yoona hated to admit, the dinner went along as she expected.

Sooyoung almost never talk unless she was giving her greetings to Yoona’s family or being asked by either of Yoona’s family members.

Evidently, it wasn’t that hard to conclude that something was wrong with the couple by the unusual behaviour of the tall woman. Unlike her usual self, Sooyoung doesn’t make an attempt to talk with Yoona’s father like she was usually did or anyone.

Sooyoung knew Yoona’s father doesn’t like her, so Sooyoung used to brings fruits or things that the old man likes or even make useless attempt to talk to him, knowing he would less likely to reply. But no, since Mr.Im didn’t say a word to her tonight, so does Sooyoung.

“..so..” Yoonji, Yoona’s older sister spoke after a while in silence when they are doing the dishes “what’s wrong?”

Yoona sighed, none of them exchange eye contact. They are just busy to do the dishes.

Sooyoung did offer to do the dishes earlier though, and Yoona knows, mostly it was to avoid the awkward situation she was in right now. However, after Yoonji told her that she would do the dishes with her sister, Sooyoung has no other option but to sit with Yoona’s parent and Yoonji’s husband in the living room.

And of course, Yoona is very aware of the reason behind her sister’s wish to do the dishes with her.

The question just supported her opinion.

“For seven years I have known Sooyoung,” Yoonji spoke “I never saw her that quiet.” She glanced on her baby sister “...not to you.” She added, tearing Yoona’s wound.

“..we are..” Yoona swallowed, trying to find the right word “..I made her upset.”  She finally said.

Yoonji take a deep breath, glancing back to her sister “Sooyoung doesn’t usually show it.” She said “something bad?”

“Hmm..” Yoona nodded quietly, washing the dishes before giving it to her sister to dry and put them back to its places.

Yoona doesn’t say anything more, which is why, Yoonji spoke again “want to talk about it?”

“..I..” Yoona mumbled, finishing with the dishes when she turned back, leaning on the counter with her eyes closed “unnie..” Yoona called, her eyes were red from holding her tears “..I—I..”

But Yoona was cut with a rushed figure running to the bathroom in the kitchen and as hurriedly to lock the door.

Yoona and Yoonji are surprised, but without further thinking, Yoona run to the bathroom door, knocked gently “Sooyoung?” she called worriedly “are you okay? Did something--...”

“I—I am fine!” came the hurry inconclusive reply, soon after, followed by water from the faucet.

Yoonji walked to her sister’s side. Confused, but she doesn’t show it with her face.

“Is everything okay?” Yoonji mouthed to Yoona silently.

Yoona bit her lower lip. Worries are written all over her face. Sooyoung was supposed to visit a doctor, wasn’t she?

“She wouldn’t tell to me about it.” Yoona whispered silently, evidently in the verge of tears from worry and pain “ca-can you talk to her, ple-please?”

Yoonji still had a load of unanswered questions, but she nodded her head slightly, signaling her sister to step back before she knocked the bathroom door “Sooyoung?”

“..ne—ne, unnie! I—I will be out in—in a minute!”

Yoonji waited, glancing to her worried sister but back to the door as soon as it opened.

“..umm,” Sooyoung mumbled, taking steps out from the toilet “I—I..”

But before Sooyoung said anything, Yoonji walked inside and push Sooyoung gently in with her, closed the door after and locked it before her back hit the door.

“Are you fine?” Yoonji asked concernedly. If Sooyoung doesn’t want to talk to Yoona, maybe without Yoona’s present the tall brunette will be more open.

“Ye—yes..” Sooyoung smiled “sorry to worry you, unnie.”

“Have you visit a doctor?” Yoonji leaned to check Sooyoung’s temperature by putting both palms on Sooyoung’s cheeks. The tall brunette is a little bit warm.

“Ye-yes..” Sooyoung nodded.

“Who is the doctor you visited?” Yoonji’s brows rise, making sure her sister in law doesn’t give a lie for the quick way out.

“..umm.. someone my—my co-worker suggested.”

But Sooyoung doesn’t give a name, worried if the older Im found out about her secret. And for the same reason, Yoonji doesn’t buy it.

“So, you haven’t met one.”

“I—I did! Re-really!” Sooyoung swiftly defended.

Still no name, so Yoonji’s brows creased.

“What are you—wait, did you just throw up?” Yoonji asked “how long has it been?” she asked, Sooyoung and Yoona has been talking to her about adding a family member since two months ago “are you feeling unwell? Since when did you--..”

“I—I am fine, unnie.” Sooyoung cut, swallowed anxiously, eyes avoiding the older Im mindlessly “..I—I will me-meet a doctor to-tomorrow..”

“You already did, but you don’t want to tell me the doctor you are visiting?” Yoonji sighed, eyeing the woman “..Sooyoung,” she called softly “..are you pregnant?”

Sooyoung is frozen on her spot, still has no courage to meet Yoonji’s eyes. She has been hiding that from her wife, how could Yoonji easily figured that out?

“..you forgot, you are talking to a woman who has been trying to get pregnant for the last four years.” Yoonji spoke, remembering her effort to get a child with her husband, Kangin after the first year of their marriage “more than four years actually,” she continued, giving a small smile “Sooyoung, I am really happy for you.” She said, wrapping the stiffen woman with a warm hug “..how long are you along? Two months?” she recalled after she pulled from the hug, trying to remember the exact time Sooyoung got her IVT.

“Seven weeks.” Sooyoung whispered, forcing herself to put a smile.

“I am really happy for you.” Yoonji said again.

But Sooyoung doesn’t give any reply.

“So, I supposed, Yoona has not been informed?” Yoonji concluded from Sooyoung’s reaction.

Sooyoung still refused to meet her sister in law’s eyes as she was caught for doing something wrong.

“Why?” Yoonji asked.

Sooyoung gave no asnwer.

Taking a deep breath, Yoonji walked closer to the tall woman, caressing Sooyoung’s cheek gently “you are my family too.” She said softly, doesn’t want to push Sooyoung further with her questions “if there are something that weight you down.” She added “you know you can always talk to me, don’t you?”

Sooyoung nodded stiffly.

There is a moment of silence before Yoonji spoke “..I still think that Yoona deserve to know the truth about your pregnancy.” She said “sooner or later, your tummy will grow bigger, and it is just a matter of time until she found out,” she paused when Sooyoung still said nothing “besides, the baby is Yoona’s too, genetically.” She added, recalling the procedure Yoona was eagerly telling her over and over again. The baby will have both of their DNA’s, hers and Sooyoung’s, with a father obviously.

Sooyoung’s eyes glued on the tiles.

“And I am more than sure that Yoona will be more than happy to know, that you both are expecting a child. Your child.” Yoonji continued “and must be happier to hear it from you.”

“..but,” Yoonji sighed “it wasn’t right for me to be involved in this, or to tell Yoona without your permission,” she said understandingly, reading enough of Sooyoung’s gesture that she wanted to keep her pregnancy unknown “so, I will leave it for you to decide about it.”

Sooyoung could only reply with a nod.

Yoonji smiled, rubbing Sooyoung’s arm before she turned and unlock the door. But before she could open the door, she turned and spoke “..I think, my parent will be excited to hear the news too.” She smiled after and walking out without waiting for a reply, knowing wouldn’t give her one.

Yoona is pacing around the kitchen counter worriedly, finishing with the dishes long ago when her sister walked out from the toilet, followed by her wife.

Yoona is running hurriedly to Sooyoung’s side, preventing herself from hugging the woman she loves for she knows that Sooyoung would flinch even by the slightlest touch from her “..a—are you okay?!”

Sooyoung doesn’t even meet Yoona’s worried gaze “yes.” Was all Sooyoung said before she walked back to the living room.

Yoonji eyed both Yoona and Sooyoung in turn.

Yoona is in frown, cannot tore her gaze from Sooyoung’s back even until the tall woman dissapeared from her sight.

Yoonji wanted to ask her sister. But the longest they stay in the kitchen, sooner or later, their mother will join them or call them out to the living room.

“I will tell you later.” Yoona whispered.

Yoonji nodded, patting her little sister’s back before they both are walking out to their family.

-----

 

It was in the middle of the night when Yoona woke up and found the other side of the bed is empty. Right, should she be happy that Sooyoung is sleeping on the same bed with her, or sad that she couldn’t find Sooyoung beside her? The thought that Sooyoung might choose to sleep on the floor or the small arm chair in the room for not being able to stand sleeping by her side hurt her.

But Yoona sighed in relieved when she found the armchair is empty and so does the floor.

Of course, if it wasn’t for Yoona’s mother insisted on having the couple to stay the night at the house, Yoona is hell sure that she wouldn’t see Sooyoung on the same bed with her tonight.

Yoona’s sister, Yoonji and Kangin were having their sleepover at Yoona’s parents house tonight either.

So, climbing down from the bed, Yoona walked out from the room which mostly in dark, trying to find her wife.

Sooyoung wouldn’t thoughtlessly going home, would she? As in in the middle of almost 1AM?

But Yoona heard sounds from downstairs, and she is walking to the first floor, only to find Sooyoung is in the kitchen, sitting on the stool next to kitchen counter, muching on an apple.

“..are you hungry?”

Yoona asked as quietly as she can, but still, it startled the tall woman.

Right, Sooyoung thrown up earlier after dinner, and Sooyoung doesn’t eat that much either.

“Do you want me to cook something for you?” Yoona asked concerned, standing across Sooyoung “there is ramen, or—or I can cook fried rice for you.” Yoona suggested “or I can heated some foods for you?” she asked, remembering their leftover last night.

“..no, I am not..” Sooyoung spoke without meeting Yoona’s gaze “I am not that hungry anymore.”

Yoona bit her lower lip, nodded quietly, sitting on the stool across her wife, accompany Sooyoung in silence.

But that doesn’t seem like a good idea when Sooyoung asked “..when are you planning to tell your parent?”

Yoona knows Sooyoung enough to know what the latter is talking about.

Yoona glanced on Sooyoung “..I will.. wait for the right time..”

“I want the divorce to be processed before the end of the week.” Sooyoung spoke. Yoona’s heart clenched when Sooyoung doesn’t even  considerate for a second.

“..why are you in a hurry?” Yoona asked gently, trying to meet Sooyoung’s eyes.

“We are going to be divorced sooner or later.” Sooyoung replied coldly “I don’t see the use of pushing this any longer.”

Yoona’s eyes are glistening with tears, just the thought of losing Sooyoung frightened her very much “..is there any chance for you..” her voice cracked “to change your mind?” she asked, trying to push her luck one more time.

Sooyoung’s eyes are empty from emotion when they meet Yoona’s “no.”

Sooyoung’s reply is simple yet enough to shattered Yoona’s broken heart.

“..is there,” Yoona’s tear fell, but she is quick to wipe them “any way I can do, to.. to change your mind, Soo?”

“..We’ve talk about this,” Sooyoung said, as it doesn’t affect her even a little bit when she is dying inside “this is best for us.”

“No..” Yoona mumbled “this is your decision,” she spoke in frustration “I don’t want this, Soo.” She said “I don’t want the divorce.”

“Really?” Sooyoung’s teeth clenched “because as far as I concerned, that what I got from..” Sooyoung’s voice cracked this time, but she turned her back on Yoona, walking to the kitchen sink, throwing the apple core and washing her hand after.

“It was a mistake.” Yoona spoke, walking closer to her wife “I’m sorry..” she whispered “..I begged you..” she pleaded desperately “..give me a chance to.. to—to show you that—that I..” Yoona is in tears, backhugging her wife tightly as Sooyoung doesn’t move a bit “I love you.” She whispered her heart out “I love you so much.” she said “and you are the only one I--..”

“Stop.” Sooyoung’s voice is cold and angry when she forced Yoona’s arms off from her waist “don’t..” her eyes are red from holding her tears “don’t you ever say that to me.”

“I love you.” Yoona said again, giving Sooyoung all her words but Sooyoung wouldn’t listen “I really do.”

Sooyoung’s teeth are clenching, her lips are tightly shut, feeling like she hears nothing but lies after lies. They are in Yoona’s parent house. It would be inpolite and rude to yell or to have a fight, their fight here.

“We’re done, Yoona.” Sooyoung spoke as coldly “I don’t want any of this, not--..”

“I begged you.” Yoona cut “just once..” she spoke “I promised, Sooyoung..” Yoona cried softly “this won’t happen again.” She said “I will be a good wife, I won’t dissapoint you, I will--..”

“Stop.”

It took both Yoona and Sooyoung by surprise. And as soon as they turned around to find the owner of the voice, their hearts dropped, and they are standing frozenly on their spot when they saw Yoona’s father is standing by the kitchen’s door.

It is obvious that the old man doesn’t like what he hears.

“You want divorce?” his eyes are like daggers killing Sooyoung’s every last bit of conciousness.

And each steps he takes closer are killing both of them.

“And you are begging her to take you back?” the old man turned to his daughter, full of rage he spoke sternly “what did this woman do so great that you are so desperate to want her back?” he asked coldly, eyes on Sooyoung’s “who are this woman, that you wanted her that bad even after she clearly throw you away?”

“Dad..” Yoona called him in tears, trying to stop him from hurting the only woman she loves dearly “don’t.”

“Divorce, huh?” his fist clenched in anger “four years ago, you were standing on your knees, begging me to give you my blessing to marry my daughter, and this is what you did to her?”

Sooyoung doesn’t reply. Right, it took her months when finally Yoona’s father silently agreeing to let the marriage happened, it was only after Yoona refused to eat and cried days after days. Her body is numb, and her mind is empty.

“Only after you were done to use her that you throw her away as you pleased?!” his voice raised along with each word, and soon enough, there are more than the three of them. His heart hurt from seeing her daughter’s tears, so blind that he refused to listen.

“What happened?” It came from Yoona’s mother who rushed inside the kitchen, followed along with Yoonji and Kangin seconds after.

“Is that how you were taught by your parents?”

Sooyoung’s body shake in anger, her tears falling, fist clenched, and that is when she meets Mr.Im’s gaze with equeal hatred.

Sooyoung never liked when someone brought up any talk about her parent, especially not like this, and definitely not when her parent are supposed to rest in peace in heaven.

“Dad! Don’t!” Yoona’s warn was like a whisper to the old man.

“Right, nobody can teach you anything about manner.” His voice is cold.

“Jisoo, stop now.” Mrs.Im said, walking to her husband’s side to hold his hand, trying to pull him away, but even the stern voice of the woman he has loved and lived with for decades doesn’t stop him.

“Can not talk now, huh? After the things you said to my daughter?”

“Dad, please.”

Sooyoung keeps quiet, knowing that she was taught better than this. That never, talk back to an elder. And she knows, the moment a word slips her lips, she would say something she regretted to the old man.

But Sooyoung’s silence is like a fuel to Mr.Im’s rage “I said, talk!”

And before anyone could react, Mr.Im throw the back of his palm to Sooyoung’s side facade.

The loud slap filled the room instantly as each of them are gasping.

Yoona’s eyes widened in horror.

“No, no..” Yoona mumbled, reaching for Sooyoung’s hand to hold it tightly while her other hand is on the tall brunette’s cheek. Three red marks are instantly appear on Sooyoung’s right cheeks from Mr.Im’s nails, bleeding.

“Sooyoung..” Yoona called, her body aches, almost giving up that her body tiredly hugging the tall woman tightly, but Sooyoung’s eyes are lost, and all Yoona found is nothing but endless tears.

“Jisoo,” Mrs.Im’s voice is cold and angry “stop--..”

“No, Sooyeon,” Mr.Im cut “this woman here,” he said “wanted to divorce our daughter.”

The truth shocked the old lady, and so does Yoona’s sister and her husband.

“And no matter how Yoona begged her not to,” he said coldly, eyes still locked on Sooyoung “she wouldn’t listen.”

“But this is still not how it is supposed to--..”

“Then how?” Mr.Im spoke as coldly “letting her to do whatever she wanted with Yoona? letting her to do as she pleased? Letting her--..”

“You don’t understand!!” Yoona yelled, facing her father, but still gripping Sooyoung’s hand tightly, afraid if she lets go, she would lose the woman forever “it wasn’t her fault!! It was--..”

“Quiet!!” Mr.Im’s voice echoed through the kitchen room “she wanted divorce?” he spoke angrily “take it!” he said, holding Yoona’s hand and pull it from Sooyoung’s “just let this woman go!!”

“No!! I--..!!”

“Does she think that she is better than anyone?!”

“Dad, stop, please!” Yoona pleaded, trying to set free from her father’s grip, wanting to hold her woman back.

“I want you out from my house!!” he said “and I don’t want to see your face ever again!!” he added as angry “now!!”

Sooyoung wasted no time when she walked out from the humiliation. She feels numb as she is walking soulessly with tears and her bleeding cheeks, running away as fast and far as she can.

“Sooyoung!! Wait!!” Yoona yelled, trying to get her father to let her go.

“Let her go!! You can do better than--..”

“I said let me go!!” Yoona yelled louder than she ever did, silencing her family, she is staring brokenly when she feels her father’s grip doesn’t loosened “you don’t understand.” She mumbled wearily, drenched in tears “it wasn’t her fault.” She said brokenly “she had every right to ask it from me,” her voice cracked, sobbing, but she doesn’t want Sooyoung, to carry more than she is able to. And obviously another accusation is not something Sooyoung deserve to take “..dad, it was my fault,” and Yoona knows, she has to say it now when she still has her courage when she mumbled “..I cheated on her..”

That is when Mr.Im’s grip loosened on Yoona’s wrist in suprise. He surely doesn’t see it coming.

But without wasting time for another explanation or looking into her family’s expression, Yoona rushed as quickly as she can when she hears the door of their room upstairs closed.

She cannot let Sooyoung to leave. Not after what happened tonight.

“Sooyoung..” Yoona called when she saw the tall woman is rushing downstair with her belongings. Yoona is hell sure, that Sooyoung found what she needed, the car key.

And Sooyoung is obviously not in the right state to drive.

“Please, Soo..” Yoona begged and begged “don’t leave.” Trying to grip Sooyoung’s arm to stop her.

“Let me go.” Sooyoung is drenched in tears. Surely, coming to the dinner is not a good idea. Her head hammered in pain. Each of Mr.Im’s words hit every nerves of hers. Her breath is shallowed, her chest is hurting, her sight blurred from tears, and she is tired.

“Sooyoung, please, please..” Yoona’s voice sound like a whisper and sounded further, and smaller each words.

“Sooyoung, Soo? Soo—soo!!”

And before she knows it, her sight out, her body gave up, and the last thing she knows is that she was falling on her wife’s embrace.

Eventually, her body gave up to take any more of anything.