Another chance

Little Apples ( Sequel to Sorry, I can't be with you)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hyunki’s Point of View

 

After Hana and Minami left the table, the three us were quietly sitting and nobody start a conversation. This is mainly awkward. Not for long when daddy start the topic first. “Hyunki, I thought Hana’s mother will come too?”

 

“I did tell her to invite her mother but she said her mother won’t join because they haven’t finished their task in the boutique but her mother will come to pick her up and meet us just for a few minutes.”

 

“Hyunki, how is your study?” Mommy asks as she takes a bite of the potato.

 

“Hectic but I still maintain the number one position in school. Minami’s report is still good. Second after me. Since Hana came to our school, everyone has been talking about me and her. Her academic grades are amazing and she will be my new rival aside Minami and Shizuka.”

 

“You always get number one in school?” Daddy put down his knife and turns his head to me.

 

“Urm, yeah.”

 

“Minami too?”

 

“Oh. We are not much different. She used to be number one in girl’s school before we move here.” I reply and daddy’s mouth formed an ‘O’. 

 

“Amzaing. This reminds me of our high school time.” He avert his eyes to mommy and grins at her.

 

“Oh you don’t start it with me. I’m trying my best not to remember anything about school especially my report cards. No!” Mommy scowls and earns laughter from daddy. I smile at their childishness and I assume mommy was not that good in her studies before.

 

I was about to feed myself with a spoon of rice but then I heard a loud splash came from the garden. The three of us look at each other and I hear Hana scream, calling Minami’s name and after that she call us.

 

“Uncle! Aunty!”

 

The three of us dashes out of the house towards the pool and Hana is pointing at one spot. Minami is flapping in the water, trying to get oxygen but she is drowning. My eyes widened and were about to dive but my legs stopped not far from the pool. Daddy dives into the pool and grab Minami. He swim towards the side of the pool as I help him pull Minami out of the pool.

 

“Minami! Minami!” I shake her shoulders but she is not waking up. I put my ear near to her face and she is not breathing.

 

“Move. Let me do the cpr” Says daddy and he does the cpr. Minami choke out the water from and her eyes are slowly opening. Mommy’s knee weakened as she fall next to me. I nearly died just now and felt like my heart just stopped a few seconds.

 

“What did you do until she drowned in a pool?! I told you to look after her.” Mommy’s voice rose out of sudden and she grab Hana’s shoulders.

 

“I’m sorry, aunty! I’m so sorry! I was going to pluck the flowers there and when I return she has already fall in the pool. I’m sorry aunty!” Says Hana and she almost burst into tears. Mommy’s scream is no joke.

 

“You almost killed her!”

 

“I’m sorry aunty! I promise I will be more careful next time!”

 

“Enough Sofea. It is not like she wanted it to happen. It is an accident.” Says daddy. “I will bring Minami to change.”

 

Daddy stands up and takes Minami into his arms. Before he leaves, he approaches Hana. Hana is starring down at the grass as she looks like she is going to cry soon. I grab her and rub her arms. “It’s okay Hana. It was just an accident.” Says daddy again and pat Hana’s head.

 

Hana nod her head but then Minami grab daddy’s sleeve, pulling it away and she stares at Hana long and her eyes are burning in rage. What is this? Why Minami is doing that? Daddy looks speechless when his hand suddenly is being pulled by Minami but he didn’t say anything and just leave. 

 

Mommy storm into the house and just the two of us left at the garden. “Hyunki. I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean to.” Hana beg.

 

“Shh. It’s okay. It was not your fault. Luckily you called us, if not we couldn’t save Minami. Though Minami is a good swimmer but in that state she won’t be able to save herself. I’m glad.” I said and smile at her.

 

“But your mom must have hated me. She was so angry just now. I’m scared. I’m scared she will be mad at me forever. I don’t want to ruin my image in front of your parents. This is my first time coming to a friend’s house and meet their parents.”

 

“Yes, I know. Mommy was worried of Minami. Later, she will be okay. She won’t be angry with you. Well, mother. Only has one daughter. Don’t take it to your heart seriously. She is a bit emotional sometimes. Please forgive her.”

 

“Okay. Thanks, Hyunki. You are so good to me. I’m happy to know you.” Says Hana as she slings her arms around my neck and hug me.

 

“That is what friends are.” I pat her back. She breaks the hug and kisses the corner of my lips. My eyes widened and I feel my cheeks are reddening. “Urm, we should go in. The wind is so strong here and it is getting colder.” I quickly turn around and touch my lips but then I saw Shizuka is looking at me from the main gate.

 

“Shizuka, let us greet Aunty Sofea. It has been a while I didn’t see her.” I heard Aunt YLee says as she enters the house with Shizuka’s papa, Uncle Sato. 

 

“Shizuka…” I call and pull my hand away. Oh god, she saw everything. Shizuka bit her lower lips and stare at me. I quickly approach Shizuka and her family and pretend that I didn’t see anything. “Hello uncle, aunty.. Shizuka” I greet and shake my hand with them.

 

“Hi there, Hyunki. It has been a while I didn’t see you come to my house and play with Shizuka.” Says Aunt YLee.

 

“Ahh, I’m a bit.. Busy nowadays. I’ll pay a visit soon.” I reply and my eyes couldn’t stop looking at Shizuka as she still starring at me angrily.

 

“You really had fun, Hyunki. I was waiting a call from you.” She mutters. I swallow my saliva and Aunt YLee and Uncle Sato are clueless at our conversation.

 

“Talk about this later. Not in front of your parents, please. I will explain later.” I whisper at her ears.

 

“Save your breath. I’m going in to greet your parents.” She says while gritting her teeth.

 

“Please come in. They are inside.” I open my arm and direct at the opened door.

 

“Thank you, Hyunki. Do join us.” Says Uncle Sato and the family walk into the house. I didn’t realise Hana was behind me when I talk to Shizuka and her parents.

 

“Let us go in.”

 

“Your girlfriend is really angry.”

 

“Not my girlfriend.”

 

 

“YLee! I’m so happy to see you. Thank you for coming! You too Shori kun (a casual way to call a guy in Japanese).” Mommy squeals as she hugs Aunt YLee and returns a smile to Uncle Sato. Then, daddy joins in the crowd.

 

“Hi Sehun. It has been a long time I didn’t see you.” Says Aunt YLee.

 

“Me too. How have you been doing? Sorry for not attending your wedding reception.”

 

“I’m good. This is my husband. Sato Shori.” Aunt YLee introduces Uncle Sato to daddy as they shake hands. Suddenly daddy introduces himself in Japanese. That makes all of us shocked at his sudden Japanese speaking. I thought it is only a memorized words but it is not. Daddy continues speaking in Japanese with Uncle Sato.

 

“Sehun ah, I didn’t know you can speak Japanese very well.” Says Mommy and everyone have the faces that they couldn’t believe.

 

“To speak with my ‘raised-and-was born in Japan’s children’ so I have to get ready. Okay not just that, I have to deal a lot of the Japanese entrepreneurs.”

 

Everyone in the circle knows at least three languages except for someone who has been so quiet. Hana couldn’t understand Japanese and she remains silent and sits next to me. I come closer to her face and whisper at her. “Sorry, Hana. All of us always converse in Japanese since the two of us and Shizuka were raised in Japan for mor

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter