Sixteen

Double-minded

It's been three weeks since we started working on our assignments. It's been going pretty good with my assignment, because Zack and I had planned everything out beforehand. We were completely done with the water painting and we were halfway done with the drawing. Zack and I haven't had any disagreements yet, but I've noticed a slight change in his personality. The first week, he was very nice and sweet, but since the beginning of the second week, he's started to act bolder around me. He makes snaggy comments, jokes around a bit too much and is a bit too physical for my liking.. Although we've been assigned to work on this assignment together and I have acknowledged that we've become closer, I don't think we're really friends. I'm strictly trying to keep this a classmate-relationship, but it seems like Zack wants us to be actual friends. I've mentioned before that I don't open up easily and that's still the case with Zack. I only contact him for the assignment and we only meet up for the assignment, but there are times when he texts me to ask if we can hang out. I've always said no to those texts, because I simply don't want to. Despite my multiple declines, he still bothers me by asking me over and over again. It's starting to get really annoying. 

"Aw, come on! Just once?" Zack asked.

"No, Zack. I'm busy and I don't want to," I answered. It's the fourth time I had to say no to him today and lunch hasn't even started yet..

I was packing my things, because the bell was going to ring in about 2 minutes, which indicates lunch. Zack suddenly took a hold of my wrist, making my book fly out of my hand, onto the floor. 

"What the ? Can't you see I'm packing? For the last ing time, no! I'm not interested and I have better things to do. If you keep doing this, I'm gonna ask if I can do the assignment on my own," I yelled. I yanked my wrist out of his grip and quickly walked out of the classroom, towards my locker. I was so angry I threw my books in my locker and other books into my bag. I grabbed my lunchbox and was about to slam the door to my locker closed, but someone wrapped his arms around my waist. I groaned and turned around, only to meet eyes with Jungkook looking confused as ever. 

"Why are you mad?" He asked, worry evident in his voice. He cupped my face with his hands and looked me deep in the eyes.

"It's that ing Zack guy," I mumbled. Jungkook's face slightly fell at the mention of Zack's name. I've already told Jungkook about what's been happening and it seemed like this was only adding up to his already existing anger. 

"Him again? Did he ask to hang out with you again? That guy deserves to get punched, .."

Seeing Jungkook getting angry was one of the last things I wanted. He looks terrifying when he's actually angry, so I'd rather not deal with that.

"Baby, calm down. I already told him to stop. If he continues, I'm just gonna ask the teacher if I can do the assignment on my own." I smiled at Jungkook and gave him a hug, "Wanna go to the roof?" I asked. Jungkook hmm-ed a response and we walked off to the rooftop to get rid of the anger inside of us. Once on the rooftop, we sat down at the only table on that roof. I placed my bag on the ground and my lunchbox on the table. Jungkook sat next to me and put his arms around me.

"How's everything going with Eun Na? Still annoying?" I asked. It's a shame that we both got paired up with horrible people... if only they got paired up and Jungkook and I got paired up. Things would be a hundred times better. 

"She's still annoying and useless. I can just do this whole thing on my own, to be honest. She keeps making moves on me, but horribly fails everytime. I don't know how much longer I can do this..." Jungkook sighed and put his chin on top of my head. 

"Let's hope the next 1,5 weeks will be over soon. I'd be happy with an average grade, as long as I don't have to speak to Zack ever again," I said. Jungkook agreed and started opening my lunchbox. I let him and didn't mind him eating with me. I can't let him starve. 

Luckily, Jungkook has this magic power. He can make me feel better with just his presence. Just a while ago, I was mad as hell. Now that I'm with him, I'm much calmer and not as mad as before. 

We spent the rest of lunch break on the roof. We talked about everything we possibly could. Also, the closer the deadline for the assignment, the closer the festival was. The festival is just in 2 weeks and I was stoked for it!

••••••••

Today was the last day before the deadline for the assignment. Everyone was busily working on the finishing touches. We also had to write a short essay to explain the meaning behind the piece.

Zack and I eventually settled for the waterpainting. It was the most aesthetically pleasing and the meaning behind it was easier to be explained. We only had to make some adjustments on the essay and that was it. We were smart enough to start on time.

Luckily for me, Zack's annoying behaviour had died down. He's still annoying, and sometimes too touchy, but he didn't ask me to hang out with him every second of the day. He sometimes tried to slip the topic into conversations, but I was always able to ignore it. 

"Do you want to keep it in your locker or should I do it?" Zack asked, after we printed out the essay. 

"I'll do it," I said, not trusting Zack with our precious assignment. I was really proud of it.

"Okay," Zack replied, "Want to get some food and go to the movies afterwards?"

"No, Zack. Bye, Zack," I said. I walked to my locker to put the painting, as well as the essay, in my locker. It was around 10pm so the school's hallways were empty, almost abandoned. The only people that were still at school were working on their assignments in the library or in the computerlab. 

The whole crew was at home, probably having dinner or something. I wasn't so sure about Jungkook, but I thought he was probably working on the assignment as well. I decided to go home by myself. When I exited the school's building and made my way towards the school's gate, I heard footsteps behind me. The steps came nearer and nearer, but when I turned around, no one was there.. I got creeped out and speedwalked as fast as I could. If I took the bus, I would have to wait 45 minutes for it to arrive, so I decided to walk. I was already creeped out, so having to walk was ten times worse than usual. I put my earphones in to distract myself from any noise. I was thankful for the streetlights.

It has been about 10 minutes and nothing has happened to me, fortunately. I was still keeping an eye on people walking behind me. I already had one earbud removed, so I could hear everything. 

After a while, I started to hear footsteps again. I texted my mum and Jungkook to let them know I was on my way. 

Jungkook: Why did you walk? It's dangerous, baby. Be careful and keep me updated.

Aria: I know, I know. I didn't want to wait 45 minutes for the bus. Anyways, I'll be home in 5 minutes. Is your assignment finished?

I put my phone back in my pocket and turned a corner. I suddenly felt someone yank me so I turned around and I got pushed against the wall. My eyes widened as far as they could. I couldn't see who the person was, becaue he was wearing a mask and his hat was in front of his eyes. 

"W-what do y-you want?!" I yelled out. I tried to sound tough, but the stuttering made it worse. 

"You."

Wait.. the voice sounded awfully familiar. I recognize that voice! I pulled the mask of the person's face, knowing I was taking a huge risk in case it wasn't the person I thought it was. 

Fortunately, it was him.

"Zack? What the do you think you're doing? Let me go," I calmly said. I didn't know what he was capable of, so I didn't want to scream or yell at him. I didn't know if he had a weapon on him and I wanted to avoid getting hurt. 

"This is your own fault, Jung Aria. How dare you reject me multiple times? Do you not feel bad for me or anything?" Zack said. He was now merely inches away from my face. I couldn't back away any further than I already was.

"I have a ing boyfriend, Zackary. Let me go now," I sternly said. He only pushed himself against me more. He eventually got a hold of my throat. He wasn't sqeeuzing it yet, though.

"Just ing break up with him then! Do you think it's easy for me to see you two together all the time? Do you think it's easy for me to see you two kissing in the hallways? I've had my eyes on you ever since we had our first class together! I was first! Why does that get the opportunity to be with you and I don't? Do you know how disrespectful that is? HUH?!" His grip on my throat tightened and his eyes turned darker than before. I was scared to death. I could feel tears welling up in my eyes.

"And now you're also not answering me?" Zack hysterically laughed. He leaned down and suddenly started attacking my neck. I was struggling to get out of his grip, but he was much stronger. I just ended up crying, not able to do anything while he was attacking my neck. I'm gonna lose everything after this. Hell, he might even kill me...

After endless cries and punching/kicking from me, a sudden punch landed on Zack's face, making him stumble backwards, to the ground. I shockingly looked at who it was.

"J-Jungkook!" I cried out. I ran over to him and hugged him tightly. He my back and whispered sweet nothings to me.

"Are you okay? I'm going to get you away from here," Jungkook said. I nodded and sobbed on his shirt. He gently pulled away and walked up to Zack. Jungkook grabbed him by his collar and looked him in the eye.

"You're gonna regret what you just did. If you dare to ing touch her again, I'm gonna rip you apart," Jungkook snared. He punched Zack a few times before letting go of his collar, making Zack fall to the ground. 

"If you're not gone in 5 second, you're gonna get it worse," Jungkook said. Zack quickly got up on his feet and ran away, frightened. Jungkook ran back to me and pulled me in a tight hug. "I'm so, so sorry for letting that happen to you. I'm so sorry..." Jungkook said. He pulled away to check my neck. I knew there would be bruises, but Jungkook remained calm and pulled me in another hug. He pulled away again and was about to give me a kiss, but I stopped him.

"I want to wash all of this off before kissing you.." I mumbled. Jungkook nodded and kissed me on my forehead before telling me to get on his back. I did as told and got on Jungkook's back. I wrapped my arms around his neck and my legs around his waist.

"I won't ever let that happen to you again, I'm so sorry for being late.." Jungkook whispered.

"Don't blame yourself, it's not your fault. You couldn't have known," I whispered, too tired to speak any louder.

"If I had stayed at school to go home with you or if I just c-" I put my hand over his mouth to stop him from talking.

"Shut up, it's not your fault, Jungkook, it's not. Thank you for coming, I wouldn't want to imagine what could have happened if you didn't come," I said. 

"Still.. I still feel sorry.."

"Please don't.."

"Okay, but I'm sleeping at your place," Jungkook said. I nodded and smiled.

"I'd love that."

After a while, we arrived in front of my house. I opened the door and was relieved my parents weren't home. They probably had a nightshift, but I didn't mind for the first time. I wouldn't have to explain myself now.

Jungkook took a hold of my hand and walked upstairs. I took a shower, brushed my teeth and changed into pajamas (aka Jungkook's sweater), while Jungkook was by my side the while time. Yes, also when I took a shower. He just sat on the closed toilet seat and looked away whenever I told him to. He didn't want to leave me alone, even though I was in my own house. 

"Get in bed, you turtle," Jungkook said, making fun of my slow tempo. I got in bed and waited for him to get in as well. He turned the lights off and closed the curtains before joining me in bed. He pulled the blanket up, so it covered the both of us. He let me put my head on his shoulder and held my hand. I nuzzled my face in his necks and listened to his breathing, which was strangely calming. 

"Want me to sing you a song?" Jungkook asked. I nodded, so he started singing. I forgot everything that happened earlier and fell asleep immediately.

•••••

The next morning, I woke up to an awful headache. My head was pounding and my body felt stiff. When I opened my eyes, I saw Jungkook still asleep. He looked the most peaceful when he was asleep, it made him look cute.

"I know I'm handsome and all, but this is a bit creepy," Jungkook chuckled. I slapped him and looked away. "Let's get up," he said. I groaned and stayed in bed for a little longer. Jungkook got up and started changing. I lay in bed and just stared at him changing. He noticed my stares and looked up to smirk at me. I laughed and decided to get out of bed as well. Jungkook and I brushed our teeth and went downstairs for breakfast. We found breakfast on the table with a note.

Enjoy your breakfast together!! I'm sorry we couldn't be there to have breakfast with you. We'll be home for dinner x Mom & Dad

I smiled at the note and took a seat at the dining table. Jungkook sat opposite of me and started eating as well.

"Are you okay?" Jungkook carefully asked. He slowly looked up at me.

I nodded, "I think so. He only did this," I said, pointing at the bruises on my neck. I wanted to wear a scarf to hide them, but I ended up wearing a shirt with a slight turtle-neck.

"Aria, you can't say 'only'. He could've you.."

I sighed, "I know, but I'd rather not think of it," I said. Just the thought of Zack putting his hands on me again made me feel sick. Everytime I thought of last night, I wanted to vomit, so I avoided any thoughts of last night's event. 

"Okay, I'm sorry, baby," Jungkook said. He reached for my hand and held it tight. "I'll be next to you the whole day, okay?" I smiled at Jungkook being so protective. I loved this side of him, but I sometimes thought he could be spending time with his friends instead of hanging out with me all the time. He didn't seem to mind, so I never bothered him with it.

"Thank you, again."

"I already told you, anything for you baby," he smiled, holding my hand a bit tighter, but not to the point it hurt.

"Hmm, I know. Do you know how thankful and grateful I am to have you? I don't know what I'd do without you.." I muttered.

"You wouldn't be here without me," he said, being a bit too confident. I cocked an eyebrow up and laughed. His endless confidence is hilarious and cute. 

After breakfast, we spent some time cuddling in bed before going out the door for school. Jungkook assured me multiple times that nothing would happen, because he would be by my side the whole day. Of course I didn't mind.

"Do you plan on telling the others?" Jungkook asked. I looked up at him to answer.

"We'll see.. I don't want to worry them, so I might not do it," I answered. Jungkook was luckily understanding. We ended our session of cuddling and decided it was time to go to school. We took the bus and got there in no time. We were a bit early, so we decided to go to the courtyard again. As usual, we took a seat on one of the benches. There was a tree behind the bench, so a shadow was hovering over us.

Jungkook let me lay down with my head on his lap. He my hair and occasionally leaned down for a kiss. I guess cheesy Jungkook will never fade. 

"Would you mind if I cut my hair short? Like shoulder-length?" I asked. I've been thinking about cutting my hair for as long as I can remember, but I never had the courage to. I'd also like to do a blue or silver balayage. I know it's a huge change, but I don't mind. I like changing up my appearance once in a while. 

"Why would you need my approval? I love you no matter what, even if you were bald," Jungkook answered. I gave him a funny look and laughed.

"Even if I were bald? You're crazy," I laughed. Jungkook just shrugged and continued playing with my hair. 

"Will you be there to hold my hand?" I asked.

A smile spread on Jungkook's face, "Of course, baby," he said, continuing to play with my hair. I took a look at the time and saw we only had 15 minutes left. I got up and pulled Jungkook up as well. We went inside, towards my locker, so I could grab the assignment, since first period was art class. Jungkook and I went to the classroom and sat next to each other.

"I don't know if I can stop myself from punching Zack if I see him..." Jungkook mumbled into my hair.

"Please don't.. you'll only waste your time and energy," I said. There was really no use in fighting Zack again. Jungkook might get expelled if that happens. I believe he already got two strikes in the past, because of his misbehaviour. Another strike meant expulsion. 

"I'll try," Jungkook said. I glared at him and punched him in the shoulder. "That's my girl," he smiled. I pulled a disgusted look and moved away from him. He just laughed and pulled me back. We sat there while students were slowly filling up the classroom. Jungkook was playing with my hand and my hair. 

After 10 minutes, the teacher finally arrived. One by one, groups were called up to hand in their assignment. To my surprise, there was no sight of Zack. I ignored it and walked up to the front by myself. Once everyone had handed in their assignments, the teacher started talking. 

"Students.. my dear students. There's only a few weeks left until graduation. You're all working hard right?" Everyone said a faint yes, until letting the teacher continue his 'speech'. "Well, this assignment was your final assignment. I will grade this very strictly. Remember to study hard and do your best. I know you can all do this," the teacher finished. Everyone clapped for him and he bowed for an inexplicable reason. 

"I'll dismiss you now," the teacher said, "Enjoy your free time when it still lasts." Everyone ignored his last statement and hurried out of the classroom. Jungkook and I, however, took our time to pack. We were eventually the last ones to leave. 

"Aria, come over here for a second," the teacher said. I turned around and walked towards him with a frown. I thought he was going to say something negative about our assignment.. "Nothing to frown for. I would just want to compliment you and Zack on your assignment. The painting is beautiful and although I still have to read the essay, I'm sure it's gonna be just as great." My eyes widened.

"Really? Thank you so much!" I smiled. The teacher told us to leave, since he had some work to do. We quickly walked out of the classroom and made our way to the canteen. There were only a few students.

"Want something to drink?" I asked.

"I'll buy it," Jungkook answered. He got up before me and walked over to the coffee machine. He soon came back with two cups. "Coffee for me and tea for you, baby," he said. He placed the cups down on the table and sat down next to me, wrapping his arms around me. We were talking about the festival, which started in just two days. 

"A-aria?"

I looked up to see who it was. To my surprise, it was Zack. He was the last person I expected to confront me.

"What?"

He looked awfully nervous and he kept on fidgeting with his hands. "I.. I wanted to apologize.. I don't know what got to me, I'm so sorry.."

Jungkook was about to get up and say something or maybe fight him, but I stopped him. "You think that's gonna do it? You think that's gonna make up for the emotional scarring? The bruises will fade, but my anger towards you is inexplicable. I will not forget this, Zack. It'd be best if you just held a good distance between us. I don't want to see you nor speak to you again." I turned around towards Jungkook and just hoped for him to leave. I looked at Jungkook to see if his face said something.

"He's out of sight," Jungkook said, holding my hand. I let out a breath of relief and drank from my tea.

"Babe, you're shaking," he said. He held both of my hands and pulled me in his arms. "He won't bother you again. I'll make sure he won't." I nodded and rested my head against Jungkook's chest. I may have put up a tough front, but having to talk to Zack again terrified me. I had never experienced something like this and it was horrible.  Never in my life do I want to see or talk to Zack again. I don't know what got to him to attack his classmate like that and later apologize for it. He thought I was going to forgive him that quickly? It wasn't just a hug without my consent, he full-on attacked me. I really don't understand what made him do this. He has never made it clear that he was attracted to me, so I didn't even know. I only knew he wanted to be my friend. I know it might seem rude that I didn't want to be his friend, but it's my choice, right? If I don't want something, I will say no, even if that means to hurt others. 

••••••••

Today was finally the day for the festival. It was almost 2pm when I decided to go to Jungkook's house. We were leaving at 2.30pm and I had to make sure Jungkook was done with everything. I had packed my backpack with some essentials and I was already dressed and everything. I even did my make-up. 

I said bye to my parents and exited the house with my backpack slung over one shoulder and my phone in my hand. I skipped to Jungkook's frontdoor and ringed the bell. In only a second, the door got opened and I got pulled in. I was quite surprised, because I didn't expect such a greeting. 

"Oh my god, you nearly gave me a heart attack..." 

"I'm sorry," Jungkook grinned. We went upstairs together and I jumped on his bed. I just stared ahead of me, looking at what Jungkook was doing. Luckily, he only had to pack his bag. I decided to help him with packing, so he wouldn't forget anything. 

We were done packing, so we sat down on the couch to wait for Namjoon's van. Jungkook had his arms wrapped around me and I was playing a game on Jungkook's phone, since I didn't have any on my own phone. Jungkook just looked at the phone with me. He occasionally laughed at me for dying during the game. 

*Ring Ring*

Jungkook and I looked up, but neither of us got up to actually open the door. This has turned into a habit for the both of us. We usually wait for the other person to get up to open the door or we just hope the door magically opens by itself. 

I sighed and decided to get up, "I'll open the door," I said. I walked over to the frontdoor, but Jungkook followed behind me. I opened the door to see everyone standing there, including Daisy. They had huge smiles on their faces. Jungkook and I grabbed our bags and followed them to the van. Everyone was seated and Namjoon drove off to the festival. It was gonna be a 2-hour ride, so everyone had some snacks in the car as well. We started off the carride by enthusiastic singing and moving, but this all died down after 30 minutes into the drive. Some fell asleep and others were almost dozing off. Poor Namjoon had to drive us to the festival without sleeping.