Chapter Nine

The Road Less Traveled

It was on the second day that they came across the abandoned city. Those that hadn't died in the first wave of the virus had walled themselves away in compounds in hopes of keeping the virus at bay, leaving the once thriving cities to decay across the peninsula.

 

It had been YoungSaeng's decision to stay inside the city for the night, though no one really argued with it. Though the cities weren't fortified like compounds, being so few of them it was easy enough to hide themselves within the buildings.

 

HyungJoon and KyuHyun had gone in first, scouted around a few of the streets but it was obvious it was completely abandoned. They took up residence inside a stone building, the caravan easily fitting inside an opening with a steel door on rusted wheels that opened and closed. They had ascended up to the third level and made a camp in one of the interior rooms.

 

"Can you imagine living in a place like this your whole life?" KiBum said to Kevin as they collected bits of furniture to make a fire with. "There's no windows or anything, and even if you got outside it was hard to even see the sky."

 

"Nothing but concrete and metal," Kevin agreed, lifting a half-broken chair up. "I don't understand how people could live in buildings like this…there's hardly even any trees outside, or grass. And with no windows in here, how much light did they even have?"

 

"They used lights, like these," KyuJong pointed out from across the room. KiBum looked at where he was pointing, seeing the light fixture above his head. "I lived in a compound that had a working generator that ran electricity to all the houses. We had lights like these."

 

"Oh," Kevin blinked, looking up at the light. "We had some things like that in our compound, but none of them did anything…I just thought they were decorations." He found a light and reached up, tapping it lightly.

 

"Should go sightseeing later," KyuHyun snorted, standing by the side of the room and not being very helpful. "Get lost in some subway tunnels."

 

"You're more than welcome to go right now," JungMin said. Under "doctor" orders, he was laying down on a mattress of blankets, half his face bandaged up as well as his arm. "In fact, don't bother bringing a torch or food or anything. I'm sure you'll find your way back pretty easily."

 

"KyuHyun, make yourself useful and find us more furniture," YoungSaeng called, stepping into the room. "Or go keep HyungJoon company on guard, your choice."

 

"…He's almost as humorless as the horse," KyuHyun muttered, retreating from the room quickly.

 

"I heard that!" JungMin shouted after him.

 

"Get some sleep JungMin, we'll wake you when it's time to eat," RyeoWook said, poking his head in behind YoungSaeng from the other room.

 

"I'd like to get some sleep, but there's all these people in here talking about lights and ," JungMin said. "Can't you go foraging for things in other rooms?"

 

"Cranky," YoungSaeng sighed, going to set up the fire. "We've got this here if you want to go explore, KiBum, Kevin. Don't leave the building." Kevin brightened at that, looking at KiBum expectantly.

 

"Yes boss," KiBum grinned, taking Kevin by the hand and pulling him out of the room. "Let's go up to the roof. We can probably see all the way to the ocean from here."

 

"Seriously? You think so?" Kevin bounced along beside KiBum, excited at the idea. "How tall is this building, anyways? The whole city just goes up forever." He swung their hands back and forth as they walked.

 

"I have no idea, it's probably a long ways," KiBum said, finding the stairwell. Peeking up over the edge, he made a face. "Okay, that's a long ways up. I've got some food in case we got hungry when we got up there, should we bring our bedrolls in case we want to sleep up there?"

 

"Sure," Kevin nodded, liking that idea. "You don't think they'll worry about us if we don't come back to sleep?" He leaned over the edge of the stairwell as well, trying to see the top.

 

"Nah, they're too busy worrying about each other," KiBum said. They ducked back to the main room quickly, grabbing their bedrolls and headed back for the stairs and started to climb. "Let me know if you get tired and we can just find a room up on one of these floors."

 

"I can make it," Kevin said, voice determined. "I want to see the ocean." Adjusting his grip on his bedroll, he worked his way up the stairs. "Besides, those rooms without windows give me the creeps. It's like we're being suffocated. Are you from the city, or a compound?"

 

"Umm... neither?" KiBum said, taking a quick break to wait for Kevin. "I mean I was born in a compound and lived there for a few years but I don't remember any of it. Hyung and I had to leave when we were kids. Then we found another compound to live for a while, but then we left. I don't feel that comfortable inside walls though, that's why I wanted to get to the roof."

 

"Ah," Kevin nodded, panting a little as he looked up towards the distant ceiling again. "So you don't think you'd ever settle in a compound eventually, stop traveling?" He remembered hearing RyeoWook and KyuHyun talk about it some time ago. Reaching where KiBum was waiting, the younger man kept going up the stairs.

 

"Honestly I hadn't really thought about it," KiBum said. "Maybe when I'm an old man and can't run around on horseback and climb fifty flights of stairs... but for now I think I'm happy the way things are."

 

"Think we'll live that long?" Kevin asked, looking back at KiBum as they walked.

 

"No, but I don't think like JungMin in that I'm going to die tomorrow," KiBum said. "But I like to think that I could live to be an old man. Beats thinking about dying all the time."

 

Thinking about that, Kevin had to agree. Yes, they lived with the threat of the plague and could very easily drop dead any day. But thinking about it all the time did nothing to change their situation, and was nothing short of depressing. He liked KiBum's point of view more.

 

It was a long and tiring trek before they reached the door at the top of the stairwell. Struggling to catch his breath, Kevin pushed through the door and staggered a little as it swung open. "Oh…" His eyes widened as he looked out across the city. "Wow, it's much better up here."

 

The sun was close to disappearing beyond the tree line, the stars already showing through the haze of dark blues and grays. "I don't think I've ever been this high up before," KiBum said, wandering towards the edge of the roof. "This isn't even the tallest building either but you can just see forever. I can't wait to see what this looks like during the day."

 

"We'll stay here until sunrise then?" Kevin grinned, dumping his bedroll in the middle of the roof before following KiBum. "Well? Can we see the ocean?" He stopped beside KiBum, squinting.

 

"Um... it's too dark," KiBum pouted. "But yeah, we'll sleep here all night. Unless it gets too cold. I didn't really think about that. I'm sure we'll be fine, we've got blankets. You hungry?"

 

"Starving," Kevin laughed breathlessly, taking KiBum's hand and pulling him back away from the edge a bit. "I do not want to think about taking those stairs back down in the morning, my legs are killing me."

 

"I'm sure the climb back down will be easier," KiBum said. Rolling out his bedroll and taking a seat, he opened up the satchel he had and handed Kevin a pack of dry food he carried with him as well as a canteen of water. "So... have you and KyuJong talked at all since he got back?"

 

Sitting down beside him and sipping from the water, Kevin frowned a little before shaking his head. "No, we haven't." He was still mad at KyuJong, and the older man hadn't tried talking to him either. "He's spent all his time with YoungSaeng."

 

"He probably thinks you're mad at him," KiBum said. "He's kind of a jerk."

 

"I am mad at him." Kevin looked at KiBum. "I don't like people leaving. I was worried something had happened to him, and he just decided we weren't even worth so much as a goodbye."

 

"That's why I think he's a jerk," KiBum said. "I think you have every right to be mad at him. People shouldn't leave each other like, ever. It's not fair."

 

Nodding slowly, Kevin scooted a little closer as he passed the canteen of water back. "I'm glad we found you all, you know…I don't think I would have survived long out here on my own. And it's nice having you to talk to and hang out with."

 

"I like you being here too," KiBum said, taking the canteen back. "Before you got here... HyungJoon didn't want me talking to anyone and everyone seemed a little too focused on each other anyway. I feel like... you're the first person I can really call a friend."

 

Kevin smiled widely at that, munching on the dried food. "I'm glad to be your friend," he said, looking at KiBum beside him. "I want to keep being your friend for a long, long time." Grinning, he reached up and pushed a piece of dried food into KiBum's mouth.

 

"Good, because I want you to be my friend for a long time too," KiBum said, chewing on the food. When he was finished, and took a sip from the canteen he looked at Kevin for a long moment, head tilted a little before leaned in and quickly brushed his lips over Kevin's before pulling back.

 

Kevin's eyes widened in surprise, and he pulled back a little too, meeting KiBum's eyes. "…Really?" he asked quietly after a long pause, not sure what had just happened.

 

"... What?" KiBum blinked, not understanding. "I'm sorry... I... That was a mistake, I shouldn't have done that." Turning away, he gripped the canteen in his hands. "Do you think I'm weird now?"

 

Looking at KiBum's back, Kevin wasn't really sure what to say. He could feel his face reddening, and chewed on his lower lip. "No…I mean…I was just surprised? JungMin hyung flirts all the time, but…they always said in the compound it's bad to like other men," he said quietly. "Do you really like me?"

 

"... I do," KiBum said, sniffling a little. "Why is it bad to like someone?"

 

"I don't think it's bad…" Kevin reached out and tugged on KiBum's shoulder lightly when he heard the sniffles. "Hyung, look at me?"

 

KiBum tried to hide the fact he was crying, wiping at his eyes before looking at Kevin. "I just... I like you Kevin."

 

"…Don't cry, hyung," Kevin whispered, feeling a stab of guilt. It hit him again that he wasn't in the compound, and probably would never live in a compound again for years to come. Did the rules of the compound really have any sway on him out here? Why would he let them?

 

"It's not bad to like someone." Reaching up, he helped wipe at KiBum's eyes gently. "It makes me really happy."

 

"Do you like me?" KiBum asked, unable to help the sniffles.

 

Did he like KiBum? Thinking about the last couple weeks and how much time he'd spent with the other man, Kevin smiled. He liked KiBum's laugh, and his smiles, and his expression when he was deep in thought or excited about something. "Yeah…I like you, hyung." Leaning over, he pressed a shy kiss to KiBum's lips.

 

KiBum gave a shaky smile at that, glad it was so dark out that Kevin couldn't see the flush to his cheeks. "Good... because I like you a lot and I don't want us to be awkward... We can't tell Hyung," he said, eyes widening. "If he finds out..."

 

"…He wouldn't be very happy, I take it?" Kevin frowned at that. He had yet to get along with HyungJoon, but that was true for the whole caravan. HyungJoon rarely talked to anyone if he didn't have to, and Kevin could tell the older brother didn't exactly like him.

 

"No.. he... he wouldn't like it at all," KiBum said. "But it's okay. He doesn't need to know anyway. It doesn't concern him. I like you, and you like me and that's all that matters."

 

"But he's still your brother," Kevin replied, not sure what to make of this problem. "I want him to be okay with this, and it's not like we have a lot of privacy in the caravan…"

 

"He won't be okay with it Kevin, in fact he'll make me leave the caravan," KiBum said. "I don't want that to happen, ever."

 

"Oh," Kevin deflated. "I don't want that to happen either. I guess we'll just have to be careful?" He settled against KiBum.

 

"Yeah... maybe once he gets to know you he'll be okay. He's never let me get close to anyone before, and even though he tells me not to, he doesn't seem to be as opposed to me being around you as he is with other people."

 

"Maybe I should get to know him then," Kevin smiled, resting his head against KiBum's shoulder. "He kinda stays on his own. I just want you to be happy."

 

"I am happy... I think," KiBum said, shifting a little so he could put his arm around Kevin's shoulder. "I've got you, and my brother, and even the others. I want you to be happy too Kevin. I know you've been through a lot. You're really adjusting well to everything that's happened."

 

Kevin closed his eyes. "It's still overwhelming, but having you all to help me has made it easier. Even with the teasing. I still miss everyone back in the compound though."

 

"Were you really close with your family?" KiBum asked. "You told me about your dad, did you have a brother or sister?"

 

"No," Kevin shook his head. "Mom couldn't have any more kids after me, I was real close with the other kids in the compound instead. It was like a large extended family. I always wanted a brother or sister of my own though."

 

"I haven't met that many people who do have brothers or sisters," KiBum said. "Hyung thinks it has something to do with the virus, but he's not a doctor or anything so it's just a guess. All I've ever had is my brother, I can't imagine growing up with other kids or anything around."

 

"It…helps with the loneliness," Kevin said quietly. "I can't even imagine how lonely you both must have been."

 

KiBum didn't reply to that right away, looking up at the dark night sky. "Yeah... but I've got you now, so I don't think I'll be so lonely anymore."

 

"Right," Kevin nodded with a smile, wrapping his arms around KiBum's waist and hugging him close. "No one's going to be lonely ever again." Looking at KiBum's upturned face, he leaned over and kissed the older man's cheek.

 

"...Except maybe my brother," KiBum frowned a little. "I'm kind of all he has... so you understand if I need to spend more time with him than I have been? I'm kind of worried about him."

 

"Yeah…I understand," Kevin nodded. "He's your brother, of course you should spend time with him…I just wish he'd open up a little to the rest of us."

 

"I do too... but me and him went through so much, he took the brunt of it all," KiBum said. "I don't know if he'll ever get over it, but I want him to."

 

Kevin tried to imagine what that must have been like, with what little he knew about the brothers' lives. "How old were you both, when you started living on your own out here?" he asked quietly.

 

"Dad left us when Hyung was just ten... I was only seven," KiBum said, closing his eyes. "We lived in a compound for a couple of years after that and then when I was ten and HyungJoon was thirteen we left and have been on our since."

 

Ten and thirteen…shockingly young to be taking care of themselves out here where bandits, wild animals and even the terrain itself were constant dangers. Kevin was surprised they had survived, but that survival seemed to have come with it's own price. "How did you manage by yourselves for that long?"

 

"Sheer will on Hyung's part I think," KiBum said, lips quirking a little. "We didn't have much of a choice but to do whatever we had to do. Steal food, things like that. It's why he's so protective of me. He's been protecting me my whole life, I don't think he's ready to give that up yet."

 

"Maybe he just doesn't realize we're protecting you too now," Kevin murmured, smiling up at him. "We'll protect both of you…I'm sure the others would agree with me."

 

"Maybe one day he'll realize it," KiBum replied softly, turning his head slightly to look at Kevin. "I'm really glad we met Kevin... it kind of makes up for the ty things we've been through."

 

"I'm glad we met too," Kevin met his eyes, lips curled up softly. "Want to try getting some sleep?" The sun had set by then, it was very dark and getting a little chilly.

 

"Yeah, I'm pretty tired," KiBum nodded, setting his pack a little ways away. Getting the bedrolls situated, they made a little bed for themselves big enough so KiBum could pull Kevin into his arms as they settled down for sleep. "I'm sure we'll get yelled at in the morning."

 

"Definitely," Kevin grinned. "We didn't really leave the building though." He burrowed himself against KiBum, closing his eyes and enjoying the warmth. It was nice, falling asleep like this. Except once they got back on the road, they wouldn't be able to do this anymore. "Good night, KiBum," he murmured.

 

"Night Kevin," KiBum whispered in reply, closing his eyes. For the first time in his life, he felt content. KiBum just hoped this would last, and nothing would get between them.

 

*********************************************

 

Watching the fire burning brightly in the middle of the room, YoungSaeng hummed to himself as he turned a broken chair leg into a makeshift torch. He would have to relieve HyungJoon from guard duty in a couple hours, so there was no point in trying to sleep like the others.

 

"Where are you going, boss?" KyuHyun yawned widely from where he was curled up in the corner.

 

"Going to walk around for a bit, go to sleep," YoungSaeng chuckled, glancing back at them as he headed out of the room.

 

KyuJong hadn't been able to sleep, laying in his bedroll and staring at the ceiling. When was the last time he'd slept inside a building like this? It felt like a lifetime ago. Not being able to see the sky was a little unnerving. The sound of KyuHyun and YoungSaeng talking quietly got his attention and he glanced over, watching YoungSaeng leave the room. It was enough of a distraction that he sat up and got to his feet, following YoungSaeng out of the room.

 

YoungSaeng wandered down the hallway, humming to himself as he looked around. The torch in one hand flickered; it didn't give off much light, but it was enough for him.

 

The sound of footsteps caught his attention, and he stopped at the corner to turn around. A small smile appeared when he saw KyuJong following him. "Couldn't sleep, Kyu yah?"

 

"Not really, I feel like the ceiling is going to cave in on me," KyuJong said, catching up. "Thought maybe you would want some company?"

 

"I won't say no," YoungSaeng replied, watching him. "You're not used to being inside, are you?" Once KyuJong had caught up, he turned to continue walking down the hallway.

 

"Not really, even when I was a kid I never wanted to be inside," KyuJong said. "My parents thought I was crazy when I suggested we leave the compound and live in the wild."

 

"It could be considered crazy, with all the dangers out here," YoungSaeng chuckled, glancing at him.

 

"Yeah, I know that now," KyuJong said, lips quirking a little. "Still doesn't mean I like being cooped up inside walls though."

 

"Understandable. I don't think any of us really enjoy being indoors. Except KyuHyun maybe, he can sleep anywhere." YoungSaeng stopped by a window at the end of the hallway, looking out.

 

KyuJong stopped beside him, leaning up against the sill. The panes of glass had long been broken out and a cool breeze drifted in. "It's a nice night. Smells like it's going to rain tomorrow. Good thing we're stopping for a little while. How long you think we'll be here for?"

 

"Ideally until JungMin's healed and we can finish up what the carpenter couldn't do on the caravan, so a couple days. We'll switch buildings tomorrow, I don't want to stay in one spot too long." A burst of wind through the window blew out the feeble torch he was carrying, and YoungSaeng snorted in amusement. "Well, so much for that."

 

"Moon's up, plenty of light without it," KyuJong said. "You're not afraid of the dark or something are you?"

 

"I used to be when I was a kid. Not so much anymore." YoungSaeng leaned up against the wall beside KyuJong, putting the torch down. "The dark isn't something to be afraid of."

 

"No, but it's okay to be afraid of what could be out there in the dark," KyuJong said, glancing at him. "I used to be afraid all the time of getting attacked or killed. Until I met you. I feel safe when I'm with you... and the others."

 

YoungSaeng grinned at that, eyes crinkling a little behind uncut bangs. "Safety in numbers. We look out for each other, no matter what. You're one of us now, Kyu yah."

 

"I think I finally get that now," KyuJong said, smiling softly. "First time I've ever felt like I belonged somewhere... Maybe it helps that you're... like me. And no one else here seems to care who or what we are. Even if they don't know... it makes me feel better knowing they wouldn't hate me because of it."

 

The older man tilted his head to the side. "Hate isn't something any of us would tolerate. The kind of person who says spiteful words about someone else's preferences isn't someone I would want in my crew." He pushed away from the wall, standing in front of KyuJong. "You don't have to be afraid of that ever again," he lifted a hand to brush locks of hair out of KyuJong's eyes.

 

KyuJong felt like his heart stopped when YoungSaeng's fingers brushed over his skin. His eyes fluttered closed as he tried to catch a breath. "I'm really glad I met you YoungSaeng," he murmured, eyes opening halfway to look down at YoungSaeng.

 

"And I'm glad you came back." YoungSaeng smiled softly at KyuJong. His fingers trailed down to tuck under KyuJong's chin, and he leaned up to press a gentle kiss to the younger man's lips.

 

Breathing in sharply in surprise at the kiss, KyuJong pulled away to look into YoungSaeng's eyes. There was a question there, one he didn't know how to voice though before YoungSaeng could respond he leaned in to return the kiss, firmer than the one he'd received.

 

There was a hint of a smile as YoungSaeng pressed back into the kiss, the hand against KyuJong's cheek sliding back to twine into the other man's hair. He took a step closer, bringing their bodies together as his other arm wrapped loosely around KyuJong's waist.

 

It was difficult for KyuJong to understand how he was feeling at that moment. Kissing YoungSaeng wasn't bad, it felt good and he liked kissing. There was a small part of him that felt wrong for liking it, and he squashed that voice down as far as he could when he gripped YoungSaeng's hips, keeping them pressed together as he leaned back against the wall. Even when he broke away to catch his breath again, he didn't want to stop, letting his lips trail down YoungSaeng's neck.

 

A soft groan slipped from YoungSaeng's lips at the attention to his neck, eyes shutting for a moment before they opened again. "KyuJong," he whispered, one hand finding it's way under KyuJong's shirt to brush against his side. YoungSaeng let KyuJong kiss his neck for a moment before pulling the younger man back up, pressing their mouths together insistently.

 

Moments bled together as KyuJong just enjoyed the kiss, his fingers tightening on YoungSaeng's hips. At no time did he think of stopping, and it didn't seem like YoungSaeng was wanting to either. His hands dragged up YoungSaeng's torso, pushing the shirt out of the way and off, leaving his hands to wander over the man's frame.

 

While KyuJong was doing that, YoungSaeng was taking care of the other man's shirt, tugging on it. The hands against his skin were an obvious distraction, YoungSaeng shuddering and biting on his lower lip as he finished getting KyuJong's shirt off. His hands rested against KyuJong's chest and pushed him back against the wall again, and he ducked his head to press kisses to the exposed collarbone.

 

KyuJong's head hit the wall, his fingers digging into YoungSaeng's sides as he groaned. He hadn't had this kind of attention in months, and though a small voice was urging him to stop, he ignored it. YoungSaeng's lips against his skin was like fire and he couldn't dream of stopping him. "Saeng..." he murmured, a hand sliding down into the waistband of YoungSaeng's pants. "Maybe... maybe we should um... somewhere comfortable," he whispered.

 

A breathy chuckle escaped, YoungSaeng pressing a kiss to KyuJong's throat. "Want to run back and get us a bedroll?" he murmured, fingers tracing along KyuJong's chest. "Or rough it?"

 

Mulling that over in his mind for a brief moment, KyuJong shook his head. Going back meant thinking about what he was doing and could possibly change his mind. Or even worse, YoungSaeng could change his mind. "Let's get out of the hallway at least," he said, nudging YoungSaeng towards an open doorway. There wasn't much in the room, a couple of chairs and looked to be some kind of desk. KyuJong led YoungSaeng towards the desk, lifting him up to sit on top and returned to kissing him.

 

YoungSaeng returned the kiss deeply, threading his fingers through KyuJong's hair and tugging lightly. Breaking the kiss after a long moment, he reached down to undo the other man's jeans. "Nervous?" he whispered against KyuJong's lips.

 

"A little," KyuJong replied, hands shaking a little as he smoothed them down YoungSaeng's shoulders and arms. "It's um.. it's been a little while..."

 

Chuckling quietly, YoungSaeng pushed KyuJong's jeans down before pulling back enough to look into KyuJong's eyes. "Nothing to be nervous about," he murmured.

 

"Hard not to be with you..." KyuJong replied, leaning in for another kiss and cutting off YoungSaeng's reply. The more they talked, the more nervous he was getting and he wanted this too much to be afraid now. Between the two of them they managed to get YoungSaeng's pants undone and off before KyuJong lay him back onto the desk.

 

Even if he knew he shouldn't be nervous, it did little to comfort him. It was the sounds YoungSaeng was puffing in his ear that helped, encouraging him to continue until he was completely swept away by the feeling. There were kisses and touches and the sound of the desk rocking on the flooring. It went unspoken between them to keep their voices down, not wanting to wake any of the others. At least, KyuJong tried to, unable to help it near the end and muffling his mouth against YoungSaeng's shoulder.

 

It took a few moments before KyuJong's head came back to reality and he was able to feel his legs again. Leaning back slowly,he looked down at YoungSaeng with a small smile. "You're amazing, you know?"

 

That earned a quiet, amused laugh, YoungSaeng meeting KyuJong's gaze. "That just sounds silly." He ran his fingers gently through KyuJong's sweat-matted hair, before pulling him into a kiss. "Rest a minute," he whispered, drawing the younger man to lie down against him. "I don't think this thing's going to collapse on us just yet." YoungSaeng wrapped his arms securely around KyuJong, and he pressed another soft kiss to the other's lips.

 

KyuJong made himself comfortable, resting his cheek against YoungSaeng's shoulder and closing his eyes. "I was a little afraid it was going to collapse at one point," he said, trailing his fingers up and down YoungSaeng's chest. "Was that.... okay?"

 

By the faint light from the window, YoungSaeng took in the younger man's expression as he brushed his thumb along KyuJong's soft skin. "It was perfect. I told you, nothing to be nervous about," he chuckled, lips absently brushing against KyuJong's forehead.

 

"Well... I won't be nervous anymore," KyuJong said, closing his eyes. "Can we just stay like this for a bit? I don't really want to move yet."

 

"We'll have to move eventually," YoungSaeng murmured, amused. "Or else they'll find us in the morning and then we'll never get any peace. Besides, my bedroll's more comfortable."

 

"Yeah... I don't know about you but I don't really think anyone else needs to know about what... I mean us and what we did... I don't want anyone thinking the wrong thing."

 

"What would be the wrong thing?" YoungSaeng had been about to close his eyes, but opened them again. "I just meant they'd never give us any peace after finding us sleeping on a desk."

 

KyuJong's brow furrowed a little, chewing at his lip. "I just... I don't want them thinking we're in some kind of relationship. I've done my share of traveling and I've seen how people react to outsiders. Think I'd be trying to take over your caravan or something or that we're going to up and leave them because we're together because we're not."

 

YoungSaeng was frowning lightly at KyuJong's words, silent for a long moment. "My crew isn't like others. And you're not so much an outsider anymore." He ran his fingers through KyuJong's hair. "You won't be joining me in my bedroll then?"

 

"I... I don't know," KyuJong replied, closing his eyes. "I want to... but I don't know if I should... if I'm ready for that."

 

Quiet, YoungSaeng gave a soundless sigh finally. "The offer's open," he murmured, massaging the back of KyuJong's neck slowly. "Just don't pick the wrong one in the dark, Min'll really have fun teasing you then."

 

"He wouldn't tease me, he's already offered... multiple times," KyuJong said, lips quirking a little. "But I may take you up on the offer in the future. This was... amazing."

 

"Never thought about taking him up on those offers?" YoungSaeng inquired, closing his eyes.

 

"No, he's not who I was interested in," KyuJong said.

 

YoungSaeng's lips curled slightly. "I'm flattered," he murmured, tightening his grip on KyuJong's waist slightly. After a long moment he sighed and opened his eyes. "We should head back, I need to take over watch from HyungJoon."

 

"You plan on sleeping at all tonight?" KyuJong chuckled wryly, easing himself up to sitting. "Or you saving it all up for tomorrow."

 

"I'll nap once we move to a different building," YoungSaeng replied, sitting up as well and hiding a wince. "Someone has to keep an eye out." He slid off the desk and stooped to pick up his clothes.

 

"There's other people here too," KyuJong said, pulling on his pants. "How come RyeoWook never stands watch?"

 

"Because whenever he does, KyuHyun has to stay up with him anyways," YoungSaeng chuckled, pulling his clothes on. "He's afraid of the dark, and if something were to happen he wouldn't be able to defend himself. So we keep him out of rotation unless we absolutely have to."

 

"Well... if you need more of a rest, I can take watch," KyuJong said, getting his shirt on and smoothing it down. "You don't think anyone's going to be coming after JungMin from that compound do you?"

 

"I'm fine on watch," YoungSaeng smirked lightly, turning back to KyuJong when he was done changing. "It's not impossible, but I'm more worried about city scavengers than them right now. We didn't see any on our way in, but it's a big place."

 

"From the looks of most of these buildings they've been picked pretty clean," KyuJong said, running a hand through his hair. "It's probably too much to ask we get a couple days free of people trying to kill us, huh."

 

"Welcome to life out in the wild," the other man replied, shaking his head. He stepped back towards the hallway door. "Which is why you should sleep. I'll be surprised if you're not tired enough to drift right off."

 

"Probably," KyuJong said, following YoungSaeng out into the hall. "Guess I'll see you in the morning then," he said when they reached the room the bedrolls were in, quirking his lips a little when he stepped in. He couldn't tell if anyone else was awake, though he was suspicious when RyeoWook rolled onto his side to face away from the door as soon as he stepped in. Settling down into his bedroll, he let himself smile a little and drifted off to sleep thinking about someone he'd grown very close to.