Chapter Sixteen

The Road Less Traveled

The silence stretched on as they made their way back to the caravan, neither of the brothers talking to each other. HyungJoon didn't so much as look back at them. A couple times Kevin glanced back at JungMin, because he really wasn't sure what to do about what had just happened.

 

An hour and a half later they emerged out of the trees surrounding the clearing where they'd set up camp. KyuHyun shouted when he saw them, and YoungSaeng hurried out of the caravan, expression set in a frown.

 

"There you all are," he gave a long-suffering sigh, stopping beside the horses as the new arrivals stopped. "There's no point in going anywhere tonight, you two go sit by the fire, you look frozen," he looked at KiBum and Kevin. "Then you can both explain to me why the hell you thought it would be a good idea to run off in the middle of the night."

 

"Maybe it can wait until morning Saeng," JungMin said. "I think the kids have been through enough the past couple of days."

 

YoungSaeng sighed, shaking his head. "Okay. We have some warm food for all of you, better than jerky. Go sit down, I'll take care of your horses." He gave JungMin a look that meant he wanted an explanation before taking the reins to KiBum's horse.

 

"Thanks boss," JungMin smirked, watching YoungSaeng go for a moment before going towards HyungJoon. "Hey," he said quietly, glancing around to make sure no one was listening. "We should talk before we sleep, okay?"

 

Normally HyungJoon would have argued, or grumbled about JungMin sticking his nose where it didn't belong. But the older brother just kept his head down, long unkept hair shadowing his eyes as he nodded mutely. It wasn't even clear if he knew exactly what he was agreeing to, going through the motions of caring for his horse automatically despite YoungSaeng's words that he'd take care of them, fingers fumbling a little.

 

"Hey boss, I'm going to do a quick sweep, I'll be right back," JungMin said, glancing at YoungSaeng over his shoulder as he retook his horses reins and swung up into the saddle and left the campsite.

 

"Okay." YoungSaeng watched him go before sighed, taking care of KiBum's horse since HyungJoon was doing his own. There was tension in the air, and he glanced towards the fire where KyuHyun was poking the embers to life and eyeing the two kids.

 

"Here." KyuHyun held out bowls of stew to them. "Nothing fancy since our cook's still out of commission."

 

"Thanks," KiBum mumbled, accepting the bowl and eating hungrily. He hadn't eaten much when they'd stopped before.

 

Kevin followed suit, shivering as the sun set.

 

"…I'll get you blankets," KyuHyun sighed, standing and trudging off to the caravan.

 

Watching him go, Kevin glanced towards the horses where HyungJoon still was. "…You and your brother should talk," he said quietly, looking at his boyfriend.

 

"There's nothing to talk about," KiBum replied, focusing on his food. "He doesn't want to talk, he wants me to do what he wants me to do and I'm not doing it anymore."

 

"Then let's talk about that with him," Kevin persisted. "Leaving it like this isn't right."

 

"Leave it alone Kevin, this doesn't have anything to do with you," KiBum said, looking at him. "If he wanted to really have a relationship with me, then he'd talk to me."

 

Kevin's shoulders slumped. "If we're together, then it does have something to do with me." He shut up as KyuHyun returned.

 

"Here," KyuHyun placed the blankets down next to them. "Surprised you didn't freeze to death overnight."

 

KiBum didn't reply, pulling the blankets around his shoulders and huddling down under them. Finished with his food, he stared silently into the fire at their feet. "Just... leave it alone Kevin. I already told him how I feel so it's up to him now."

 

Kevin glanced slightly at KyuHyun, who was taking care of his bow on the other side of the fire and very obviously listening to them. "You also said you didn't want to talk anymore," he murmured, hurrying to finish his stew before it got cold.

 

"If only he listened as well as you do," KiBum replied, getting to his feet. Keeping the blanket around his shoulders, he strode away from the fire towards where his brother was. If he didn't at least try, Kevin would keep pestering him about it.

 

HyungJoon didn't notice KiBum right away, leaning his head against his horse's neck with the brush hanging limply by his side. Pulling back and starting again, he nearly jumped out of his skin when he saw someone beside him. "…KiBum?" he looked at his little brother.

 

Scuffing his boot on the ground, KiBum looked anywhere but at his brother. "Maybe I said some things I shouldn't have, back there," he said, keeping his voice down. "I just don't feel like you ever listen to me."

 

Swallowing, HyungJoon looked back at his horse. He ran his fingers through the gelding's mane, earning a snort and head shake. "I do listen to you," he said finally, voice just as quiet. "But I also have to keep us safe, and it's hard to do both sometimes. Sometimes I have to pick one or the other, not because I want to, but because I have to. Cause I'd rather you were mad at me than dead."

 

"This isn't any way to live though HyungJoon," KiBum said. "You're my brother, and you'll always be so important to me. Do you not trust me? I've trusted you my entire life to do the right thing, why can't you trust me that I'm doing the right thing?"

 

"Because if you're wrong, I won't be able to protect you from the consequences," HyungJoon murmured. "I know you don't remember anything from when we were little, but I don't want you to go through all that again." He sighed shakily. "If…if you want to stay with them, then we'll stay. Even if things go to hell, I'll protect you. Just…don't run off again."

 

Sighing a little in relief, KiBum touched his brother's shoulder. "I won't run off, I promise," he said. "Long as you don't treat me like a kid anymore, okay?"

 

HyungJoon gave a small nod, not looking up at KiBum. "Okay."

 

By the time JungMin returned from his sweep, most of the camp was already settled for the night. He took care of his own horse before going off in search of HyungJoon, dropping down beside him. "Hey," he said, stretching out his legs. "Let's talk."

 

HyungJoon had set up his sleeping bag farther away from the others, just close enough to catch the warmth from the fire. He wasn't asleep yet, leaned back against a tree with his eyes closed. Opening his eyes, he looked up at JungMin before looking away. "About?"

 

"About how we're going to deal with your current predicament," JungMin said before dropping his voice low. "And how you're going to buy my silence."

 

The younger man's eyes snapped back to JungMin at that. "…What do you mean," he said lowly, instantly wary and defensive.

 

"What I mean is... I'll keep your secret, and KiBum's, because I'm a nice guy," JungMin said, smirking a little. "But you're going to have to do something for me too. You can't go through life completely alone HyungJoon. All I'm asking is you try to be my friend."

 

HyungJoon's lips thinned, eyes narrowed. "Why? Why is it any different to you how I live my life? It makes absolutely no difference if I have friends or don't."

 

JungMin sighed a little, eyes going up to the trees overhead. "Because maybe I just want to be your friend. Is that so wrong HyungJoon? Someone actually wanting to spend time with you?"

 

"You'd be the first," HyungJoon mumbled, looking away. "…Okay. If you'll keep quiet about us."

 

"I would have kept quiet about you anyway," JungMin said, looking over at him. "Just would be nice to have a friend here."

 

HyungJoon's brow furrowed. "You're friends with YoungSaeng, and the others. Except maybe KyuHyun." It was never clear if JungMin and KyuHyun were mortal enemies or just loved to antagonize each other.

 

"Saeng's my boss, I can't really sit down and have a friendly relationship with him," JungMin said. "I'm not close to anyone. Take KyuHyun and RyeoWook for example. They're friends, really good friends and constantly looking after each other. I want that."

 

HyungJoon glanced towards the caravan, where KyuHyun had disappeared inside earlier to sleep by RyeoWook. "…You might be asking the wrong person then," he murmured. "I've…never had any friends. I don't know how you'd want me to act."

 

"Me either," JungMin shrugged. "You and me are a lot alike. Had to survive and run when we had to. Never got close to people... you at least know what it's like to care for someone so much that it's all you think about. I've never had that."

 

The younger man opened his mouth, then closed it again. After a good pause he tried again. "…Your family?"

 

"Don't really remember 'em," JungMin shrugged. "Parents both died from the virus when I was young, then I was on my own. No other family to even care about me."

 

HyungJoon drew his legs up to his chest, looking down at his knees. "So…what did you do?"

 

"I did what most kids do," JungMin said. "I stole food, got into fights and got kicked around a lot. I grew up in Seoul so they didn't toss me out like any of these smaller compounds would have done, but I fought my way to the point where I wasn't worried about starving anymore."

 

Nodding, HyungJoon was silent for a long minute. "…Didn't it feel sometimes like it wasn't worth it?"

 

"Not for a second," JungMin shook his head. "Saeng and I might not agree on a lot, but if there's one thing we do agree on is life is meant to be what it is, and you take what you get for it. Even if that means it's a ty life, it's still all you got, so better make the most of it and take whatever chance you get to be happy."

 

HyungJoon frowned, looking down at his knees. Finally he nodded slightly towards the campfire. "…You should go eat something. Before they go to sleep."

 

"Probably, have to talk to Saeng too," JungMin nodded. "We'll have to give him the story tomorrow, and it had better be very convincing."

 

"It will be," HyungJoon replied. He shifted away from the tree, scooting over to his sleeping bag. "KiBum and I will talk to him."

 

"Alright, sleep well HyungJoon," JungMin said, getting to his feet and stretching out his arms. He ate whatever was left of the soup and went to find YoungSaeng, greeting the caravan leader with a bright smile. "Hey boss, how are things?"

 

"Getting by," YoungSaeng sighed, looking up at JungMin from where he was sitting off to one side. He was taking first shift again so those who'd been up most of the night could get some rest. "I take it you had no problems on the sweep?"

 

"No sir, no problems," JungMin said, leaning up against a tree. "Look boss, I know you're angry about the kids taking off, but I think you should take it easy on them this time."

 

"This is the second time it's happened, JungMin," YoungSaeng frowned at him. "Not only are we behind a day, they could have been killed out there. All I can say is they better have a good reason for running off."

 

"I guess you could say they do, even if it's a bit... misguided," JungMin said, crossing his arms. "I'm gonna leave it up to them to tell you what happened, because it's not any of my business, but I think they've been through enough."

 

YoungSaeng sighed. "I'm going to hear them out before deciding what to do with them. At the very least they're staying in the caravan again on the way to Yesan. Go sleep Min, you look exhausted."

 

"Yeah, being up two days straight does that to a person," JungMin said. "I'm surprised your boyfriend isn't out here keeping you company. Where's he at? I don't think I saw him when we got back, was he already asleep?"

 

"Yeah, he's sleeping," YoungSaeng nodded. "He was tired, didn't sleep well last night, not that I think anyone did. Go on, I'll wake up KyuHyun to take second shift."

 

"Alright, make sure you actually do that Saeng, and not just say you are," JungMin said, pushing off of the tree. "Good night Saeng."

 

"Good night Min," YoungSaeng smiled, watching him go. He sighed and leaned back, watching the camp settle down for the night. His eyes wandered towards the caravan eventually; while he was glad KyuJong was getting some rest, it was more than a little lonely without him. Shaking his head, he picked up the guitar next to him and settled down for a long night.

 

*******************************

 

The following morning, they were up with the sun and busy taking apart the camp. With all the delays, their supplies were running very low and they needed to make it to Yesan before nightfall. With luck they'd be able to pick up more goods to trade or someone in need of an .

 

Directing everyone's efforts and making sure they all did their part, YoungSaeng drew Kevin and KiBum aside just before they were ready to leave. He saw HyungJoon making his way over. "I think it's time we talked," he said, looking at the two kids.

 

KiBum's shoulders slumped a little and he nodded. "We're sorry we ran off," he said, glancing at Kevin out of the corner of his eye. "Kevin and I... well we're together and hyung was trying to keep us apart. We were stupid and thought if we left then he wouldn't bother us anymore."

 

Frowning, YoungSaeng looked between them. Seeing HyungJoon come up out of the corner of his eyes, he turned to the older brother and pointed at the horses. "No, you're going to get the horses ready. I'm talking to them, not you."

 

"…Okay," HyungJoon looked nervous but backed off, going to work instead.

 

YoungSaeng turned back to KiBum and Kevin, arms folded across his chest. "I know from talking with KyuHyun that you don't want to be seen as a kid. I have no problems with that, but if you're trying to prove to the group that you can hold your own as an adult, running away is a very, very childish thing to do. You can't have it two ways KiBum, if you want to be taken seriously, you have to think about what you're doing."

 

Biting back any kind of comment that would get him in more trouble, KiBum nodded, his head going down. "I know," he said. "I know it was a bad mistake, and we won't do it again."

 

Nodding, YoungSaeng looked at Kevin. "You're not entirely off the hook either. I'm pretty sure this was KiBum's idea, but you still went along with it, so you're just as guilty as him."

 

"I know," Kevin ducked his head too. "I'm sorry."

 

YoungSaeng looked between them. "…I'm going to let you off the hook for now, because I think starving most of the day was punishment enough. After we pass Yesan though, I have something I want you to do. You're going to talk with KyuHyun, JungMin or HyungJoon, and get one of them to teach you proper survival skills. Hunting, pathfinding, and in your case, Kevin, fire starting. You scared quite a few people here, at the very least I can make sure if you're ever separated from us, you can take care of yourselves until we regroup. Sound fair?"

 

"Yes, sir," KiBum nodded, breathing a little bit of relief that he wasn't in as much trouble as he could have been. "We're sorry we made anyone worry. Um... can we ride the horse today?"

 

"Oh I don't know about that," YoungSaeng mused, glancing towards the others. "You're still grounded from the last adventure you went on."

 

Kevin sulked a little at the reminder.

 

"But I suppose you can have riding privileges again, if you start sharing night shifts with the rest of us," YoungSaeng looked back at them. The two kids had been kept out of night watch, because no one really trusted them not to fall asleep halfway through shift or pay attention to their surroundings. "Your choice."

 

KiBum blinked a little at that. "You... would trust us to do that?" he replied.

 

"You said you wanted to be treated like the rest of the adults, didn't you?" YoungSaeng's lips quirked. "That means you get the same responsibilities as everyone else, and if you mess up you don't get to hide behind your brother. I'm going to be just as hard on you as I am with the others. Sure you're up for it?"

 

Lifting his chin a little, KiBum nodded. "Yes sir, I'm ready for it. I'm not a little kid anymore so I shouldn't be treated like one. I can do it, no problem."

 

YoungSaeng nodded, looking at Kevin. "And you?"

 

"If he can do it, so can I," Kevin smiled widely.

 

"Good. We're moving out, go help HyungJoon with the horses," YoungSaeng said, turning towards the caravan to check on RyeoWook.

 

"I wonder if that means we'll get less of the crumby little kid jobs, and the others will have to start doing those too," KiBum said, looking at Kevin with a smile. "I guess maybe it all worked out for the best?"

 

"I guess so," Kevin nodded, smiling in return. He took KiBum's hand, pulling him towards where HyungJoon was hitching the team horses together. "As long as we prove we can keep up with them."

 

"Of course we can, we're just as good as the rest of them," KiBum sniffed. "Soon as they show us how to really use a gun, then we'll be even better than them."

 

Listening to them talk, YoungSaeng chuckled quietly to himself as he climbed up into the caravan. He hoped he was making the right choice. Stepping into the caravan, he smiled to see KyuJong and RyeoWook there. KyuHyun had been ordered outside to erase traces of the camp. "Hey, how're you feeling Wook?"

 

"I feel fine," RyeoWook said, the cook leaning up against the wall of the caravan. "So fine in fact I'm ready to get out of here and let someone else have a turn at being sick."

 

"I'd rather no one else were sick, thank you," YoungSaeng snorted, walking over to him. "You sure you're okay? Because I'll get KyuHyun to tie you down if you're overexerting yourself."

 

"I'm fine. As the only one here who knows a about being a medic I'll be the judge of how I feel," RyeoWook said. "The fever's gone, I can see straight and I can breathe normally. Please let me out, he's driving me crazy."

 

"You know he's out there right now, you'd be walking into the lion's den," YoungSaeng smirked before shaking his head. "Fine, run free. Not too far mind, we're leaving as soon as they're done getting ready."

 

"Yes boss," RyeoWook grinned, getting to his feet and climbing out of the caravan as quick as he could.

 

"The funny thing is, he's probably just going to go find KyuHyun right now anyway," KyuJong said, sitting on one of the benches with his feet up. "I don't think he's used to someone else mothering over him."

 

"RyeoWook's our mother hen, of course he isn't," YoungSaeng sat down beside him with a sigh, nudging KyuJong's legs slightly so he wouldn't sit on them. "KyuHyun'll make sure he doesn't wear himself out and relapse. How're you doing? I'm surprised you're still in here."

 

"Was keeping him company," KyuJong shrugged, closing his eyes and sighing a little. "I don't think I slept very well last night either, kind of tired. How'd the lecture go?"

 

"I let them off with a warning, and all the added responsibilities of being an adult," YoungSaeng chuckled. "Might have made them a little too happy with that, but oh well." He leaned over and kissed the corner of KyuJong's mouth. "Want to keep me company out in front once we get moving?"

 

"Of course, as long as I won't be too much of a distraction," KyuJong chuckled tiredly, opening his eyes a little. "I kind of miss being in that city, even with all the walls and ceilings, we at least had a little privacy there."

 

"Yes, not much privacy out here unfortunately," YoungSaeng wrinkled his nose. "But you know, we are stopping in Seoul soon," he murmured, voice teasing. "Plenty of room there."

 

KyuJong's lips quirked a little and he nodded. "Yeah... I'm looking forward to it. Will be kind of nice to see it again... except it's such a long way off."

 

"Not too long, we'll be there within the week." YoungSaeng tucked his fingers under KyuJong's chin and kissed him again before pulling back. "Time to make sure those hooligans are ready to go. Coming, or do you want to stay back here and rest?" His eyes wandered over KyuJong's face.

 

"I'll come with you," KyuJong smiled, meeting YoungSaeng's gaze. "We're heading to Yesan though right? Maybe... maybe when we get there you and I can run off in the middle of the night when we get there, I want to show you something."

 

"I just talked to the kids about not running off in the middle of the night," YoungSaeng snorted, smiling at him. "We'll figure something out. Did you decide what you want to do when we get there?"

 

"Yeah," KyuJong nodded, looking down a little. "I don't want to put anyone at risk, but at the same time I want them to know I didn't wither away and die just because they put me out, you know? We'll have to be on guard, but I just want to see all their faces one last time and know that I'm a better person for leaving."

 

YoungSaeng nodded. "I'll let the others know what we're walking into before we get there, if that's all right with you. We'll be on guard, nothing's going to happen to you or to anyone else." His hand found KyuJong's, squeezing lightly.

 

"Thanks boss," KyuJong chuckled tiredly, moving to sit up, albeit a little slowly. "At the very least I can tell you which shopkeeps to stay away from and who has the best wares to trade."

 

"That would be great," YoungSaeng grinned. "And you don't have to call me boss, just so you know." He stood up. "I'll be out front."

 

He made his way out to the front bench, seeing the others were just about ready. "What's left to do out here?"

 

"Just waiting on you two lovebirds," JungMin said, climbing onto his horse. "With all the excitement the past couple of days, and me not being here and all, I haven't got the opportunity to really tease you about that yet boss. Were you just hoping no one would notice?"

 

"I doubted no one would notice, but if you're trying to embarrass me you're wasting your breath," YoungSaeng smirked at him, sitting down on the bench. "I don't see anything I should be embarrassed about."

 

"Wait, what are we talking about?" KyuHyun blinked over at them from where he was kicking the campfire apart.

 

"The fact that KyuJong and YoungSaeng are humping like rabbits," RyeoWook supplied. "You're slow JungMin, they've been at it since the city."

 

"Really? Saeng, I'm hurt," JungMin pouted at YoungSaeng a little. "I always knew you'd leave me one day, but it still hurts."

 

"I'm sorry you can't continue having your imaginary relationship with me," YoungSaeng grinned at him. "Guess you'll have to find someone else to fantasize over, Min ah."

 

"The cute ones never like me," JungMin sighed, looking at HyungJoon. "So, Joon, when we going on that date?"

 

Settling into the seat next to YoungSaeng, KyuJong perked a brow at the conversation. "What'd I miss?"

 

"Not much," YoungSaeng had to raise his voice a little to speak over HyungJoon's very loud, shocked protest. "I don't think he's interested Min, plus you'll have the little brother to deal with."

 

"I'm not left with many choices here Saeng," JungMin shrugged. "Oh come on Joon, don't be like that! I thought we had something special!"

 

"Has that worked on anyone as far as you've known?" KyuJong asked YoungSaeng, keeping his voice down so JungMin couldn't hear.

 

"No, I think JungMin needs to change his approach a little," YoungSaeng smirked, watching HyungJoon bring his horse to the other side of the caravan in order to get away from JungMin. Looking at KyuJong, his smile faded a little. "You're really pale, Kyu yah. Are you sure you don't want to lie down longer?" He reached up to touch one hand to KyuJong's forehead.

 

"Hm? No, I'm fine," KyuJong shook his head. "I feel fine, don't need to worry about me."

 

"…If you're sure," YoungSaeng frowned at him. "I hope you're not catching what Wook had." He looked out at the others. "KyuHyun, Wook, we're moving out. Get back in the caravan unless you're riding."

 

"Coming boss," RyeoWook said, grabbing KyuHyun's hand to pull him towards the caravan. "If he gets sick it's his own fault he stayed in the caravan with me all that time."

 

"So sympathetic," KyuHyun snorted, following him up into the caravan. Once they were settled in the back, YoungSaeng flicked the reins and they started to move. "You sure you're doing okay now," KyuHyun glanced at RyeoWook as he dropped down onto the bench.

 

"Absolutely," RyeoWook nodded. "You really saved my life.. have I thanked you for that yet?"

 

"If being thanked means getting in trouble for stealing, then yes you have," KyuHyun snorted.

 

RyeoWook made a face at that, hitting KyuHyun in the arm. "I never told you to steal anything so that's on you... but thank you."

 

"I'll steal whatever I need to if it'll stop you from croaking," KyuHyun grinned, rubbing his arm. "That and your facial expression was priceless."

 

"Yeah yeah, you live to antagonize me," RyeoWook huffed, crossing his arms. "See if I ever thank you for anything ever again."

 

"You will." KyuHyun hooked one arm around RyeoWook's shoulders. "Next time I save you from a charging boar, you'll thank me."

 

"Maybe it'll be me saving you next time," RyeoWook said, looking sullen. "I'm not helpless."

 

"You're not helpless, but you're not that great with weapons either. Right now anyways, we'll work on that." KyuHyun pulled RyeoWook closer on the bench. "I don't doubt you'll save my life one day."

 

"I will, just you wait and see," RyeoWook said, looking up at KyuHyun. "Do us both a favor though, and don't put yourself in a situation where you'll need rescuing, okay?"

 

"I try not to put myself in situations like that," KyuHyun grinned at him. "But if I do, I'm counting on you to get me out, hyung. No pressure."

 

"Alright, no problem," RyeoWook sniffed a little, turning his head away.

 

"Come on, don't be like that." KyuHyun rested his chin on RyeoWook's shoulder. "I'm putting my life in your hands, at the very least you could act mildly terrified."

 

"Why?" RyeoWook turned his head back a little to frown at him. "Why would you want me to be terrified?"

 

"Because I'm being serious?" KyuHyun raised an eyebrow at him.

 

"So you'd rather I be afraid?" RyeoWook frowned at him. "You don't have any confidence in me do you. You don't think I can do it so you'd rather I be afraid and come running for help instead of doing something on my own."

 

"Why do you over think everything," KyuHyun snorted, sitting up straight. "I know if it comes down to it, you will save my life. Even if you're scared out of your mind, you'll do it."

 

"You're god damn right I'd do it, but if all you're going to do is laugh about it and tell me I'd just be a terrified little girl then maybe I won't," RyeoWook said, scooting away from him.

 

"Laughing about things is how I deal, you should know that by now," KyuHyun rolled his eyes, getting up and going to find a book to read. "Being scared isn't a bad thing."

 

"Of course it's not, but you make it seem like it is," RyeoWook said, watching him.

 

"I make everything seem like a bad thing. Again, you've been my friend for how long?" KyuHyun opened up one of his bags and rooted through it for a book. "I was scared witless when you were sick."

 

"Why? It was just a fever KyuHyun, I don't think I was really going to die," RyeoWook said. "It would have taken a while to recover is all."

 

KyuHyun wrinkled his nose and gave a long-suffering sigh, plucking a book out of his bag and dropping down onto a crate. "Nevermind."

 

Shoulders slumping, RyeoWook dropped the conversation, getting up and joining KyuJong and YoungSaeng on the driver's bench.