Chapter Twenty Five

The Road Less Traveled

Last across, JungMin reined his horse in to a halt, he turned just in time to see the last third of the bridge give way and fall into the river below. "... ."

 

"JungMin!" YoungSaeng had gotten out of the caravan and was standing as close as he dared to the edge of the bridge, eyes wide. "Are you four okay?!"

 

"RyeoWook!" HyungJoon called after the other man, to no affect. "Down, stay with JungMin," He helped Kevin drop off the side of the horse before galloping after RyeoWook.

 

"We're fine Saeng!" JungMin called, looking at the bridge in dismay. "You'll have to go around!" He glanced over his shoulder, trying to see where HyungJoon and RyeoWook had got to.

 

The wayward horse and rider finally came to a stop a few feet away from the edge of a gully, the horse stamping in frustration and his muscles quivering. RyeoWook finally cracked his eyes open and lifted his head away from the horses neck. "HyungJoon?" he called, looking around with wide eyes.

 

HyungJoon followed both the sound of RyeoWook's voice and the clear path of broken branches, finding him after a minute. "Here you are…are you okay?" He slowed his horse to a stop.

 

"...Yeah, I'm fine," RyeoWook said, wiping at his cheek and frowning at the small bit of blood. "Just a couple scratches. What the hell happened?"

 

"The bridge broke. Come on, we have to go back and figure out what the hell we're doing now," HyungJoon frowned before turning his horse around. At least RyeoWook had left them a nice path.

 

"Sorry," RyeoWook's shoulders slumped and he followed after HyungJoon to where the trees opened back up to the beach again. JungMin was off his horse, going through his pack. He looked up when he saw the other two, his expression grim.

 

"Zhou Mi says there's another bridge four days ride from here. At least it was still there when he rode across it two years ago," JungMin said. "We're going to meet the caravan there. Either of you have any supplies on you?"

 

HyungJoon's lips thinned, and he dismounted to look through his packs. "Just some flint, a hunting knife, a couple extra rounds of ammunition…some cord, gauze…and an emergency blanket."

 

"You have all that?" Kevin blinked.

 

"…I liked being prepared," HyungJoon mumbled, the tips of his ears red. He glanced across the broken bridge to the caravan on the other side, looking for his brother with wide eyes.

 

"I have one days worth of emergency rations," RyeoWook said. "... For one person."

 

"We'll have to make it last until we can find some game or something," JungMin said. "Let's get off the beach before we're spotted. You have an extra weapon for Kevin to use Joon?"

 

HyungJoon looked away from the caravan and shook his head, frowning. "No…I just have the knife. Once we stop for the night I'll track down some game." He climbed back up onto his horse, holding out a hand to help Kevin up. "The sooner we get going, the sooner we'll meet up with them."

 

"Right, we'll stop in a couple hours to eat," JungMin said. "We'll be fine long as we keep our heads."

 

"Why wouldn't we be okay?" RyeoWook asked, holding his horses reins tightly. "Four days isn't that big of a deal."

 

"Lot can happen in four days," JungMin shrugged, climbing back onto his horse. "That's why I said we need to keep our wits about us. No use panicking over things we can't control."

 

"We'll be okay, right hyung?" Kevin asked quietly from behind HyungJoon.

 

HyungJoon held onto the reins tighter, managing not to try looking for KiBum again. It was the first time they'd been really separated for an extended amount of time, and okay, he was panicking a little. KiBum was stuck with that JongWoon guy, and HyungJoon wasn't there to keep an eye on him. "Yeah, we'll be fine. I'll take point, JungMin."

 

"I'll bring up the rear," JungMin said. "Kevin, maybe you should hop on behind RyeoWook. I'd rather you two be together where I can see you."

 

"…Okay," Kevin said, though he felt safe with HyungJoon. He reluctantly slid off the horse, walking over to RyeoWook.

 

"…Are we really putting the two with the least riding experience together," HyungJoon looked back at JungMin.

 

"And if we get into a situation, you really want someone clinging to your back?" JungMin replied. "I'd rather those two run off together if happens then try and work around them and have them get in our way."

 

Climbing on behind RyeoWook, Kevin sighed and wrapped his arms loosely around the older man's waist. "I should probably be insulted by that, but it's kind of true," he murmured to RyeoWook as HyungJoon scowled and turned his horse around to get going.

 

"...Yeah, I know what you mean," RyeoWook replied, looking at Kevin over his shoulder with a sad smile.

 

Back on the other side of the river, YoungSaeng was easing the caravan around to take the path inland. That had been horrible, horrible luck; being behind on schedule was one thing, getting separated was another entirely. At least he knew JungMin and HyungJoon would keep RyeoWook and Kevin safe. "We need to get moving, the sooner we get to the next bridge the better." Glancing around for the others, he saw KyuHyun had gotten out of the caravan and was watching the group leave on the other side of the river.

 

"If it's still there," KyuJong said, closing his eyes.

 

"It will be, it was a very sturdy bridge when I came across," Zhou Mi said. "KuiXian, I hope you're not thinking of trying to swim across."

 

"Do I look that crazy? The current's way too strong." KyuHyun turned away from the bank, lips pulled into a thin line as he climbed back up into the caravan.

 

YoungSaeng sighed and looked at KiBum, their only rider left. "KiBum, you're going to have to take point. Stay close to the caravan."

 

"Yes boss," KiBum nodded, his voice low and expression unreadable.

 

"You think he's going to be okay?" KyuJong asked YoungSaeng quietly. "His brother and boyfriend are over there."

 

"We'll have to keep an eye on him," YoungSaeng murmured, glancing at KyuJong beside him worriedly before flicking the reins. The caravan started to move again. "KyuHyun, watch our back." They'd have to make due with what they had.

 

Seeing movement out of the corner of his eyes, he glanced back to see JongWoon sticking his head out of the caravan. "So wait, does that mean we're stuck without the people who do most of the fighting? What if bandits hit?"

 

"We're not useless without JungMin and HyungJoon," YoungSaeng replied.

 

"I have my shotgun, and KyuHyun has... whatever he has," KyuJong said. "We'll be fine. You just worry about yourself and not doing anything to piss Saeng off."

 

"I'm not doing anything…" JongWoon disappeared back into the caravan.

 

YoungSaeng gave a long-suffering sigh. "If only he hadn't been from that compound," he murmured, focusing on the road. "Because aside from that he's not a bad person." KyuJong had been told what exactly he'd missed in the time since they'd left Seoul, since with everyone else aware chances were low the secret wouldn't get out to him eventually. YoungSaeng had talked it over with HyungJoon, and the older brother had reluctantly agreed that telling KyuJong purposely was better than him finding out suddenly.

 

"We'll keep an eye on him," KyuJong said, squeezing YoungSaeng's shoulder a little. "Him... and Zhou Mi since HyungJoon seemed worried about him too."

 

"He was worried about Zhou Mi…but then again, he was worried about all of us. I remember the fit he threw when he found out you and Kevin were sticking around." YoungSaeng's lips quirked a little before he shook his head. "Now it's all understandable, of course."

 

"Yeah.. I hope he doesn't freak out over there, I'd hate to see the kind of mood JungMin will be in if he has to be around HyungJoon during this," KyuJong chuckled, coughing a little into this hand.

 

"Oh, I'm sure JungMin will be just fine." YoungSaeng rubbed KyuJong's back in slow circles. "How are you holding up, Kyu yah?"

 

"I'm alive, though barely," KyuJong said, lips quirking a little.

 

"Not barely anymore," YoungSaeng shook his head. "Don't wear yourself out, you're still recovering."

 

"I feel better than I did a few days ago," KyuJong said. "I'll take it for right now."

 

YoungSaeng frowned, thinking of something. “…Zhou Mi,” he turned around on the bench to see into the caravan. “Kevin shared with you how to make the tea for KyuJong?” He hoped either Zhou Mi or KiBum knew, or KyuJong would be in even more pain soon.

 

"... No, he didn't, but KiBum should know," Zhou Mi said, looking up at YoungSaeng from his journal.

 

All right,” YoungSaeng frowned, looking over the three inside the caravan in their own corners away from each other. Glancing ahead to where KiBum was riding in front of the caravan, he decided to ask the younger man once they’d stopped.

 

"Everyone is on edge," Zhou Mi said, keeping his voice low as he looked over at KyuHyun towards the back. "Are you worried KuiXian?"

 

KyuHyun didn’t respond right away, looking out the back of the caravan with his bow in his lap. An arrow was laid across the string, waiting. “…What?” he asked after a moment, looking back at Zhou Mi with a frown.

 

"I asked if you were worried, you seem so," Zhou Mi said, closing his journal.

 

Of course I’m worried,” KyuHyun replied, glancing back out in the direction of the river as they left its banks. ”That should have never happened, we weren’t supposed to get separated like that.

 

"No, and it's unfortunate," Zhou Mi said, looking down at his hands neatly folded on top of his journal. "Would you be so worried if RyeoWook wasn't over there with them?"

 

No,” KyuHyun replied bluntly. “The others can take care of themselves…I made a promise to keep RyeoWook safe, but I can’t look after him right now.

 

"I would say he's in a good position to stay safe, with JungMin and HyungJoon," Zhou Mi said. "You don't think he'll be safe with them?"

 

That’s not the point.” KyuHyun didn’t look back at Zhou Mi, fingers curled tightly around the string of his bow. “I’m not over there to make sure he stays safe.

 

"... Ah... I had it wrong," Zhou Mi closed his eyes and sighed a little. "We'll meet up in a few days. You'll be able to take care of him then."

 

Had what wrong?” KyuHyun glanced towards the Chinese man. He could see JongWoon looking between them both in confusion, unable to understand a word they were saying.

 

"I assumed what was between you and him was one-sided, I was wrong," Zhou Mi said. "I'm sorry for... interfering."

 

Frowning, KyuHyun looked away. “…There’s never been anyone other than RyeoWook. I’m sorry.

 

"No need to apologize, I understand," Zhou Mi said. "What you and he have obviously means something"

 

It does,” KyuHyun replied. “It means a lot.”

 

What means a lot?” JongWoon asked at the first sign of Korean.

 

"I wish you the best," Zhou Mi said, getting to his feet. "YoungSaeng, I think I need to stretch my legs a bit. It's very cramped back here. I'll walk behind the caravan for a bit, okay?"

 

YoungSaeng looked back at them, nodding with a small frown. “All right. Don’t fall too far behind, keep in sight of the back gate.”

 

"No worries," Zhou Mi gave him a strained smile before climbing towards the back and over the back gate.

 

KyuJong glanced over his shoulder. "Wonder what that was about," he said to YoungSaeng quietly.

 

No idea,” YoungSaeng murmured, watching Zhou Mi get out of the caravan. KyuHyun didn’t move from his spot in the back, and JongWoon looked very confused. Facing the front again, YoungSaeng’s free hand found KyuJong’s and laced their fingers together. “A lot has been going on that I don’t always understand, it’s worrying.”

 

"You're not alone in that," KyuJong said. "I think it would be best if we try not to worry about things we have no control over. The least of which being what the other's relationships are right now."

 

YoungSaeng’s lips quirked a little ruefully. “You say that, but I’ll worry anyways. In a group this size, any problems are felt by the whole caravan. In some ways I think I’d rather deal with bandits, at least we’re fighting a common, visible enemy.”

 

"So how did you deal with it all before?" KyuJong asked, tilting his head a little.

 

As best as I could,” YoungSaeng replied. “There weren’t as many…large problems that I could remember, not since the older members of the caravan passed. They didn’t particularly like me in charge anyways, handled most of what came up themselves.”

 

"How long have you been running this thing by yourself?" KyuJong asked. "I'd say you're so young it can't have been that long but... we all know that doesn't really matter much anymore."

 

YoungSaeng had to take a moment to think about that, frowning. “My father died and passed the caravan on to me…five years ago, I think. But I was owner in name only, I was the youngest person in the caravan at the time so obviously none of the older folk listened to me that well. Only took this job back from them about three years ago, thanks to a lot of prodding from the only other person around my age.”

 

KyuJong glanced over his shoulder at where the guitar was safely nestled between some blankets. "Can I ask you something? If you don't want to answer you don't have to... it's more for my peace of mind than anything."

 

Go ahead,” YoungSaeng looked at KyuJong beside him.

 

"The way you talk about him... I'm assuming it's the same person who owned the guitar," KyuJong said, brow furrowing. "Were you... in love with him?"

 

YoungSaeng’s lips quirked a little sadly. “No. We weren’t together. He was my best friend, my safe haven, and the person who gave me the courage to fight for what I believed in.”

 

"Sounds like he was a good man," KyuJong said, looking away. "I'm sorry I never got to meet him. You think he would have liked me?"

 

I think you and he would have been just fine.” YoungSaeng squeezed KyuJong’s hand lightly. “You are very easy to get along with, Kyu yah. He and JungMin, on the other hand…in the short time they knew each other, I lost track of how many arguments they got into. Apparently JungMin was too over-the-top for his tastes,” he chuckled, ducking his head a little.

 

"I can see that," KyuJong nodded. "... I'm sorry, we don't have to talk about him if this making you uncomfortable."

 

It’s not making me uncomfortable,” YoungSaeng shook his head, glancing at KyuJong. His eyes were a little overly bright, but he was smiling. “It’s good to talk about those who are no longer around…it’s through stories like this how they’d want to be remembered.”

 

"Yeah... I hope you tell good stories about me then," KyuJong said. "None of the bad stuff."

 

YoungSaeng’s smile faded slightly, but he squeezed KyuJong’s hand. “It’ll be a long time before I’m telling stories about you, Kyu yah. But as far as I’m concerned, not a single moment with you has been bad.”

 

"Let's hope it stays that way," KyuJong said, folding his other hand over YoungSaeng's.

 

It will, if you believe it will.” YoungSaeng smiled again. “Every moment like this is a precious gift, and is automatically valuable in it’s own right. I’m not taking a single second for granted.”

 

KyuJong just smiled at that, leaning over to press his lips against YoungSaeng's temple. "I'm so glad I met you," he murmured.

 

Glad I met you too, Kyu yah,” YoungSaeng chuckled softly. Letting go of KyuJong’s hands, he slid his arm around KyuJong’s waist to hold the younger man close as the caravan made it’s way down the path.

 

*************************

 

 

Before the sun went down, JungMin had decided to stop for the night near a group of rocks that had formed a natural cave. It had not been a popular decision when he had sent HyungJoon and RyeoWook off together to hunt for food, the latter protesting at the very idea of it and the former not wanting to go with anyone at all.

 

"Everyone needs to pull their weight right now and I need to teach Kevin how to build a fire without burning the forest down or killing himself," JungMin had replied.

 

After nearly an hour of working with Kevin though, JungMin was ready to throw himself into the nonexistent fire.

 

"You're smothering it, let the kindling get some air before you throw on it," JungMin said, pulling away the larger sticks. "Try again."

 

Sorry,” Kevin winced, looking down at the flint and knife in his hands. It had taken him over half an hour just to figure out how to use the two items to get a fire started, and the rest of the task was proving no easier. “I thought it was enough time.” He struck the flint and knife together over the kindling again, eyes narrowed in concentration.

 

He was really trying to get this right, but ‘trying’ and ‘succeeding’ were two entirely different things right now. “I hope they’re having better luck out there.”

 

"We'll see," JungMin frowned. "If RyeoWook hasn't killed Joon on accident by now or Joon throttling Wook."

 

You don’t think they would do that, do you?” Kevin blinked, stopping what he was doing to look up at JungMin.

 

"Could happen," JungMin shrugged. "They've never actually spent time speaking to one another. RyeoWook is pretty much attached to KyuHyun's hip and Joon doesn't like anyone. I don't know how well they'll work together. Was kind of the point."

 

RyeoWook’s really nice though,” Kevin said. “He’s easy to talk with. And HyungJoon seems to like you well enough.”

 

"... That's debatable," JungMin frowned. "The point is, I need to know that we can all work together as a team. We can’t always rely on one person doing one thing all the time. Look how it was when Wook was sick and no one was able to make us food. We should have been doing this a long time ago, making sure everyone can pull their weight and can get along."

 

Yeah…I can see your point,” Kevin nodded, looking down at the flint and knife in his hands. Expression determined, he tried to get a spark again. “I can get this. KiBum and I want to pull our own weight too, we can keep up.”

 

"Good, then we'll think about keeping you around," JungMin said, watching him. "It's just as important to make sure we all can work together too. I... honestly didn't think HyungJoon wanted to work with us for a while there. But he's getting better. He seemed concerned about you."

 

Kevin smiled a little at that. “I want to get along with him…not just for KiBum’s sake, but cause he actually seems like a decent guy. I think it’s helping that everyone knows their secret now, and no one’s tried to hurt them. Not just HyungJoon, but KiBum too…he’s seemed a lot happier and more comfortable since he told me about their secret.”

 

"Now that we know... I understand why they were so afraid of telling anyone. Telling the wrong person could get them killed, as we've seen," JungMin said, sighing a little. "The thing of it is though... HyungJoon still doesn't trust anyone. He says he trusts me, and he probably does to a point... but I can still see a bit of fear in his eyes. Kind of hard to get past that point still."

 

Kevin frowned down at the knife in his hand, before beaming when the sparks finally landed on the kindling, producing a light wisp of smoke. He waited this time instead of trying to smother it, watching the smoke slowly become more pronounced. “I think…it will take a long time for him to trust people. He talks to you though,” he looked up at JungMin with a smile. “And he sits beside you at the fire now.” HyungJoon had only started sitting beside JungMin when they talked around the fire two nights ago, and while he rarely spoke and tended to ignore the conversations it was great progress from the months he’d spent sitting by himself.

 

"He does," JungMin's lips quirked a little, feeding a dry leaf onto the bare hint of a spark. "I think maybe he just wants to kiss me more and doesn't want to admit it."

 

“…He what?” Kevin blinked repeatedly at that, straightening to look at the older man in confusion. “He’s kissed you?”

 

"I think it was more like we kissed each other," JungMin shrugged, chuckling a little. "He's not that bad a kisser, though he needs some more practice. I'm pretty sure he'd go red in the face if he knew I was blabbing about this, but I don't care."

 

Kevin still looked stunned. “…You kissed,” he repeated dumbly. “And he didn’t punch you in the face afterwards? This is the same guy who doesn’t even do hugs or shoulder pats, right?” He remembered KyuHyun slinging his arm around HyungJoon teasingly once, the archer had nearly ended up face-first in the dirt.

 

"Right, same guy," JungMin grinned. "I think he might like me a little. Or maybe he just wanted to shut me up. Possible either way. I'm not going to complain one bit.”

 

Wow,” Kevin intoned. “I wonder if KiBum knows. I don’t think HyungJoon told KiBum, I mean, KiBum would have probably told me if he knew.”

 

"Well, that's up to him to tell KiBum I guess," JungMin shrugged. "If he doesn't I'll wonder if he's embarrassed about kissing me. Don't know why he would be, I mean... I'm a good looking guy."

 

Kevin’s lips quivered and he chuckled, grinning. “Hyung is very good looking,” he agreed good-naturedly. “He and KiBum just started talking to each other again…they were kind of avoiding each other for a while.”

 

"Yeah... had something to do with KiBum running away," JungMin said. "Not really sure what it was all about though. Didn't think it was any of my business to pry into it."

 

Yeah…mine either,” Kevin looked down at the kindling where a small flame was finally appearing. “I’m just glad that they’re talking again, I think they missed each other.”

 

"I think so too," JungMin nodded. "I'm sure being separated like this isn't easy on them. I don't think they've ever spent more than a night away from each other before."

 

I don’t think so either,” Kevin shook his head. This time when he put larger sticks above the kindling, the fire wasn’t snuffed out. “We’ll just have to get back to the others quickly. I wish we had more supplies at least.”

 

"We're lucky we have what we do," JungMin said. "We'll show you a bit more on how to survive out here, maybe you can teach your boyfriend what you've learned."

 

Kevin’s lips quivered in amusement at that. “I think I’m a while off before I can teach anything…but if I can show him at least one thing, I’ll be happy. I’ll leave the rest of the teaching to HyungJoon, let him have his fun.”

 

"HyungJoon and fun... now those are two words I don't think I've ever heard used in the same sentence," JungMin snorted. "You can feed some bigger sticks to that, before it goes out."

 

Okay, like this?” Kevin placed some more sticks in the fire, nudging the longer ones so that they were completely inside the circle they’d made for the fire. “Everyone’s got to have a little bit of fun sometimes.”

 

"Suggest that to HyungJoon, see what he says," JungMin said, getting to his feet and stretching out his arms. "You're doing good Kevin. You're in charge of keeping the fire going all night. Think you can do that?"

 

I…sure,” Kevin nodded, looking up at him with a wide smile. “Does that mean I’m on watch?”

 

"Absolutely, you'll take first watch," JungMin nodded. "With me, or with HyungJoon. I think it'd be best if we take watch in pairs until we meet up with the others."

 

Okay,” Kevin grinned at that, turning to put more sticks in the fire.

 

Bushes rustling nearby signaled HyungJoon’s and RyeoWook’s return. HyungJoon appeared first, holding a rabbit by it’s hind legs. “Two rabbits. Not a lot of larger game that we could see, but at least there’s plenty of rabbit holes. And from the amount of nuts stashed away, squirrels too.”

 

"Good, I guess we won't starve then," JungMin said. "How did the hunting lesson go?" he asked, glancing to RyeoWook who sheepishly avoided looking in JungMin's direction. "That good huh. Well I don't see any holes in HyungJoon so it could have been worse."

 

Didn’t put any holes in me, or himself,” HyungJoon agreed, putting the rabbit down when he reached the fire. “Not for lack of trying. RyeoWook, what did we learn about gun safety today?”

 

“…We learned that you don't point loaded guns at people with your finger on the trigger," RyeoWook said, looking down at the ground.

 

See, you’re learning,” HyungJoon sighed, crouching down. “Bring that rabbit over here and help me skin these. You’re not getting out of hunting tomorrow, just so you know.”

 

"Why can't Kevin go hunting tomorrow?" RyeoWook said, making a face at the dead rabbit in his hand and following HyungJoon to the fire.

 

"Kevin's still mastering the art of making a fire, he hasn't graduated to hunting yet," JungMin said.

 

If I can get the fire going faster tomorrow night, can I try hunting the day after?” Kevin asked JungMin. Seeing HyungJoon holding his hand out for something, he blinked at the older brother dumbly before realizing he had HyungJoon’s knife. He handed it over, HyungJoon setting about the task of getting the rabbit ready to cook.

 

"We'll see," JungMin said, watching RyeoWook daintily poke at the rabbit with a knife, the cook looking a touch pale. "Why don't you go get some more firewood, I'm going to see if I can't find something we can cook that rabbit on."

 

Okay,” Kevin hopped to his feet and hurried off, not particularly interested in seeing how a rabbit was butchered.

 

Glancing after them as they left the fire, HyungJoon turned his attention back to the rabbit and RyeoWook. “…What’s wrong? You’ve cooked rabbits before.”

 

"Cooked rabbit before... I've never skinned one," RyeoWook said. "I always make KyuHyun do it."

 

Well, here’s your chance,” HyungJoon replied. “KyuHyun’s not going to be skinning any rabbits for you on the other side of the river. Here, watch what I’m doing.”

 

"... But it's... so gross," RyeoWook complained. "And it keeps looking at me."

 

"Do you want me to cut the head off?" JungMin asked from the other side of the fire. If it was possible, RyeoWook turned even paler at that and he shot up to his feet before running over to the bushes with his hand over his mouth.

 

HyungJoon blinked after him before looking at JungMin. “I don’t think that helped.” He seemed to debate with himself for a moment, frowning down at the rabbit he was holding onto before placing it and the knife down. He wiped his hands off on his pants before following to where RyeoWook was being sick in the bushes.

 

Hey…you okay?” He rubbed RyeoWook’s back slowly with a hesitant hand.

 

"... I'll be okay," RyeoWook said, wiping at his mouth. "Just... I can't handle the blood. I've never been able to handle wild game. I'm sorry."

 

Nothing to be sorry about.” HyungJoon looked uncomfortable; clearly he wasn’t put in the position of trying to be comforting often, but he was trying. “It is kind of gross. I was sick first couple times I skinned game, and I’m pretty sure if you were to dump that rabbit in front of Kevin he’d be right here in the bushes with you. I can go prove it if it’ll make you feel better.”

 

"No, I don't think we need to make him sick too," RyeoWook laughed a little. "How'd you get used to it?"

 

Because I had to?” HyungJoon blinked. “Because I had no one else to do the gross things for me, so it was either do them myself or starve. It doesn’t get any less gross with time, but you stop being sick over it after a while.”

 

RyeoWook frowned a little at that. "Guess I never thought of it like that. When KyuHyun and I left the compound... he just did things for me like hunting and skinning animals. I never even thought about doing it myself."

 

HyungJoon’s lips quirked a little as he lowered his hand from RyeoWook’s back. With one foot he kicked loose earth over the mess the other man had made, hiding it. “I did the same as him, so that KiBum wouldn’t have to worry. I wanted to keep him safe…from all the unpleasant things you have to do to survive.”

 

"But... I would be able to do this stuff if he had at least tried to show me," RyeoWook said. "I guess I could have asked if he needed help, but it didn't seem like he wanted it. If he hadn't been there with me all this time... I probably would have died by now."

 

Do you want to learn?” HyungJoon asked. “Even if it means being sick over and over until you can handle it?”

 

Looking up at HyungJoon, RyeoWook nodded, a smile forming. "Yeah, I want to learn," he said. "I want to be able to help out more. Even if it means being sick a little bit."

 

Good. Remember that,” he said, lips quirking in a faint smile. “And don’t back out, even when we regroup with the others. If you and KyuHyun are anything like me and KiBum…it’ll be a big blow to think he can’t keep you safe anymore, but it’ll be better this way.”

 

RyeoWook blinked a little at HyungJoon's words. "...Is that what happened with you and KiBum?" he asked.

 

“…Maybe,” HyungJoon cleared his throat a little, glancing away. “You ready to try skinning that rabbit?”

 

"I can try," RyeoWook nodded. "Would you think I was a coward if I gave up halfway?"

 

No,” HyungJoon shook his head. “ But I’ll think you didn’t mean what you said about learning if you don’t get up and try again the next day.”

 

"I'm not going to give up," RyeoWook said. "It... just might take a little time for me to get used to this."

 

That’s fine. As long as you keep trying.” HyungJoon stepped back. “Wash your hands and face, then we’ll start again.”

 

RyeoWook nodded, getting back up to his feet and going to do as told. JungMin had been watching nearby, his arms crossed. Waiting until RyeoWook was gone, he smirked a little at HyungJoon. "I think you did a good job there."

 

I didn’t do anything,” HyungJoon shrugged, the tips of his ears burning red as he walked back to the fire. Kevin wasn’t back yet, he could hear the younger man off in the bushes nearby.

 

"You reached out to him," JungMin said. "You didn't have to, and you usually don't. I think you did pretty good there."

 

“…Thanks, I guess,” HyungJoon mumbled awkwardly, before eyeing JungMin over his shoulder. “You were eavesdropping. I thought you were busy with something?”

 

"I'm supervising," JungMin shrugged. "How are you doing?"

 

Fine.” HyungJoon sat back down next to the fire, deciding to sharpen his knife a little while he waited for RyeoWook to come back. “He was starting to get the hang of hunting near the end. Shot one of the rabbits himself, even if he didn’t take it out with a clean hit.”

 

"That's good," JungMin said. "I think Kevin will be able to get a fire started on his own within an hour tomorrow. They're making progress."

 

Good,” HyungJoon nodded, brow furrowed a little as he sharpened his knife. A long moment of silence passed by. “Do you think they’re doing all right? On the other side of the river.”

 

JungMin's lips quirked a little. "I'm sure KiBum's fine Joon. I trust YoungSaeng will take care of him, and KyuHyun's there too. For all the bad things I say about KyuHyun, he's one of the best shots I've ever seen. We need to worry more about ourselves right now."

 

We’re fine though.” HyungJoon ducked his head over his work. “It’s not an ideal situation, but it’s manageable. I know what’s going on here, and how to deal with it. I don’t know what’s happening over there.”

 

"They're in a better place than we are," JungMin said. "They have the safety of the caravan, plenty of food. KiBum will be just fine Joon. He can take care of himself."

 

Sure,” HyungJoon muttered, either not listening to or not believing what JungMin was saying. “Don’t you have something to do?”

 

"... Yeah, sure," JungMin sighed, turning away. "Come find me when you stop feeling sorry for yourself."

 

Because being worried about my brother is feeling sorry for myself, yeah. Right.” HyungJoon didn’t look up.

 

"No, HyungJoon, you're feeling sorry for yourself because you aren't there to protect him," JungMin said, turning back around and looking at him.. "You still can't see it can you? You can't see how dependent on him you are. You are paralyzed with fear because he isn't here, you don't know how to cope without him."

 

HyungJoon lifted his head, eyes narrowed and dark. “Don’t assume you know me, or what I’m thinking. You don’t know anything about me, or what it’s like to have a little brother. So don’t you start thinking you can lecture me on things you know nothing about.”

 

"You're right, I don't know you," JungMin said. "And you like it that way. I was just stupid enough to think I could help. Won't make that mistake again."

 

Kevin was standing on the edge of the small clearing by then, bundles of sticks for the fire in his grasp. He listened to the argument with confusion.

 

Fine.” HyungJoon turned away from JungMin with that, going back to sharpening his knife even though it was plenty sharp by then.

 

"Kevin, the fire is going on," JungMin snapped. "Help RyeoWook cook. I'll be back later," he said, going to where the horses were picketed.

 

O-okay,” Kevin jumped at the snapped tone, watching JungMin walk away. He cautiously approached the fire, wary about being yelled at by HyungJoon too. The older brother didn’t even glance his way, shoulders hunched as he turned his attention to skinning the rabbits.

 

Kevin’s shoulders slumped a little at the tense silence. Being out on their own wasn’t easy on it’s own, but now things were going to be even worse if the only two who knew how to survive out here were on the outs with each other.