Chapter Eighteen

The Road Less Traveled

The following morning they were up an hour before markets were due to open, packing up camp and heading back to Yesan's front gates. It was little surprise that it took some arguing with the guards to be let in regardless of what they were told the day before, but YoungSaeng wasn't going to back down after all the work they'd done the day before. Finally the gates were grudgingly opened, and the caravan rolled on in.

 

HyungJoon rode along beside the caravan, keeping an eye on their surroundings. The villagers gave them a wide berth, and he could feel more than a couple guards following them as they made their way to the marketplace. The whole compound gave him the chills, and if he hadn't been told to guard their side he would have probably riden next to KiBum just in case. KyuJong had taken refuge inside the caravan and he doubted they'd see him again until they left that evening. Kevin sat up on the front bench with YoungSaeng in case he needed to take over the reins. Their youngest was visibly uncomfortable despite having lived in a compound himself until very recently; they were not welcome here.

 

Reaching the marketplace, YoungSaeng stopped the caravan and called KyuHyun and RyeoWook out from inside to help unload their wares. "Volunteers for the supply run?" He asked his crew at large, not wanting to delegate the job to someone who really didn't want to leave the caravan.

 

"I'll go," JungMin said. "Wook, you were the one who negotiated the deal, you and KyuHyun should go too." He ignored the way RyeoWook's shoulders visibly slumped at that and turned back to YoungSaeng. "This shouldn't take long boss, we'll be out of here before noon."

 

"Fingers crossed," YoungSaeng nodded, brow furrowed as he turned back to unloading their wares. "Kevin, KiBum, you're helping me with this, and you're on guard Joon."

 

"Let's show off your negotiating skills again," KyuHyun grinned, clapping RyeoWook's shoulder as he slung his quiver over his shoulder and borrowed HyungJoon's horse. He was the only one who didn't look nervous at their situation,.

 

"Right," RyeoWook muttered, climbing onto the back of the horse and holding on to KyuHyun tightly. JungMin let KyuHyun lead the way, bringing up the rear and keeping an eye out for any trouble.

 

"Come on, you were awesome yesterday and you'll be great again today," KyuHyun said, heading down the street and looking at the shops they passed, heading to one of the first they'd made a deal with.

 

"Doesn't mean I like it," RyeoWook said with a grumble. Climbing down off the horse when they arrived at the shop, JungMin dismounted from his own horse.

 

"KyuHyun, stay out here with the horses, I'll go in with Wook and get this deal under way," JungMin said, glancing around. "Let us know of any trouble."

 

"…Fine," KyuHyun wrinkled his nose at being left outside where he couldn't keep an eye on RyeoWook. He watched them go inside before sighing and drawing the two horses off to the side. "I don't know why he left me with you lot, I don't like horses," he informed JungMin's mare as she lipped at his sleeve.

 

"She seems to like you," a voice said from the other side of the horse.

 

Blinking repeatedly, KyuHyun looked around for the owner of the voice. He looked over the mare's back to see a tall, stork-like man standing there. "…I don't know why, unless she likes dumping me in the dirt," he said, wary about a horse-thief instantly. No one else in the village had bothered to talk to them.

 

"Possibly, horses can tell when a rider isn't comfortable on a horse," the man said, patting the mare's neck. "I don't know why he doesn't like you, you're a pretty girl aren't you," the man spoke to the horse, slipping into a different language.

 

KyuHyun's eyes widened at the words that came out of the stranger's mouth next. He knew that language, as well as he did Korean. He'd spoken it for half his life.

 

"…Don't let her looks fool you, she's as much of a devil as her owner," he said after his brain had caught up with his ears.

 

The stranger's head snapped up and looked at KyuHyun with wide eyes, his lips curling into a giant, beaming smile. "I take it you're not the owner then," he said, moving around the horse to stand closer to KyuHyun. "And you are definitely not from this town, are you."

 

"No, I'm not," KyuHyun slowly grinned. "And forget the town, you're not from this country. What're you doing in this tiny box of a compound?"

 

"It's a very long story, and I unfortunately don't have time to tell it," the man said with a drawn out sigh. "I'm on an expedition of sorts, and I unfortunately ran into a bit of trouble on the road. Luckily the people here took me in and helped me a little, as much as they were willing to do anyway. You're not... chinese, how do you know our language?"

 

"My family traveled through China for most of my life," KyuHyun shrugged. "By the time I came back to Korea I had such a bad accent no one could understand me. I have a hard time believing the people in this compound would help any outsider, let alone a Chinese one."

 

"It's a good thing my Korean is good enough to fool most people then," the man chuckled, glancing towards the other side of the street. "They helped me because I had helped them. One of their children was suffering from the plague and I was able to help her. That's all."

 

KyuHyun sulked a little at reverting back to Korean, before his eyes widened. "…Wait what? What do you mean help her?"

 

The stranger frowned a little, moving back slightly. "I know of a way to slow the process down. That's why I'm here actually. The ingredients for the compound... can only be found in the Korean province. The little girl will be able to live a few more years. It's not a cure, just a... delay."

 

"…That's amazing," KyuHyun blinked repeatedly. "Even if it's not a full cure, that's fantastic. Maybe there is hope for a cure then after all."

 

The stranger chewed at his lip a little, looking around nervously. "I... I have to go. They're offering to help me get to Seoul and I don't know if I should have even stopped to talk to you. I'm sorry."

 

KyuHyun thought about that for all of one second before stepping forward. "Hey…the caravan I'm part of now, we're heading to Seoul too after we're done here. Merchant caravan, but we double as an service when needed," He said quickly in Mandarin. "Why don't you come with us?"

 

"...I don't have anything of value," the Chinese man said. "I used up all of my materials so if you think I'll give you any medicine as payment..."

 

"I think if you talked to our boss and told him what you told me, that would be payment enough," KyuHyun's lips quirked. "People need something to live for, you know? This might give them some hope. And none of them will squawk if you speak Mandarin."

 

The man seemed to consider that for a moment, looking between KyuHyun and the townspeople before nodding. "Alright, I want to talk to your boss then," he said, lips quirking into a small smile. "My name is Zhou Mi."

 

KyuHyun grinned widely. "I'm KyuHyun, but KuiXian might be easier to pronounce. Just have to wait for the two inside bargaining for goods, then we'll head back."

 

"Nice to meet you, KuiXian," Zhou Mi said with a small laugh.

 

"Yah, KyuHyun, what are you doing?" JungMin was standing at the doorway, RyeoWook peeking around him curiously. "We're done here, let's get going."

 

"Oh finally," KyuHyun looked back at them, gladly handing over the reins to JungMin's horse. "This is Zhou Mi, he's coming along to talk to YoungSaeng about hitching a ride to Seoul."

 

"That so?" JungMin perked a brow, taking his horse's reins and climbing back up. "Zhou Mi is it? You're not exactly a local are you."

 

"Not so much, no," Zhou Mi said, righting the bag on his shoulder.

 

"Alright, let's go then," JungMin sighed, turning his horse around to head back to the caravan. "Come on Wook, you'll ride with me so KyuHyun can help his new friend not get lost."

 

"... Okay," RyeoWook's lips thinned a little, looking at KyuHyun as he was helped up onto the back of JungMin's horse.

 

"Right," KyuHyun snorted, climbing up onto HyungJoon's horse. "Come on stork legs, get on. I'm sorry in advance if you have to duck a little in the caravan, it's not exactly made for people of your height."

 

"It's fine, I'm used to it," Zhou Mi said, getting onto the horse with KyuHyun's help. "Thank you for the help KuiXian, I actually wasn't so sure I wanted to take these people's help, they'd probably ride me down and kill me after a day or so."

 

"Don't blame you for thinking that, you know the trouble it was to get in here? I don't think we would have even tried if we hadn't needed the trade," KyuHyun turned the horse around to follow JungMin and RyeoWook back towards the caravan.

 

"I understand, they weren't going to let me in at first until I told them I was a doctor," Zhou Mi said. "I'm not really a doctor mind you, but close enough."

 

"Best kind of doctor right now," KyuHyun chuckled. "You said you got the materials in Korea? I've never heard of anything like that being found."

 

"I hadn't heard of it either until a few years ago I met a man who claimed the cure to the plague was here in Korea," Zhou Mi said. "So I came here and started searching. Used every material I could get my hands on until I found a combination that seemed to have an affect. Not really a cure, but it's close."

 

"Maybe it'll turn into a cure one day, you're already closer than anyone else." KyuHyun looked over his shoulder at Zhou Mi.

 

"I can dream," Zhou Mi said with a smile. "I'm surprised you even believe me, it's not like I have any real proof of what I'm saying."

 

"I figure you wouldn't go around making claims like that unless you could back them up," the archer snorted. "Considering there are plenty of people who would tear you to pieces for such a medicine."

 

"True, but I've been told I'm far too trusting," Zhou Mi hummed a little. "You seem trusting too though KuiXian. You could have let me walk."

 

"I could have, but we'll get there faster this way," KyuHyun replied. "And on the slim possibility that you did manage to off me before I could strangle you with my bowstring, JungMin would take care of you pretty easily."

 

"Good to know," Zhou Mi chuckled in KyuHyun's ear. "Don't worry KuiXian. I'm a doctor, I wouldn't dream of hurting anyone, least of all someone who speaks my language."

 

"Good, because I'm rather enjoying talking in Mandarin again, it would be a shame if you turned out to be a psychotic murder," KyuHyun grinned over his shoulder at the other man.

 

"Your accent's a little thick, but I think it's adorable," Zhou Mi said, returning the smile. "But by the way we're being watched by your friend up there, maybe we should stick to Korean so everyone isn't left out of the conversation."

 

"Oh fine," KyuHyun sighed. "My accent's only thick because I haven't had a single chance to speak Mandarin in the last five years." He looked ahead to see RyeoWook watching them. "That's our chef, RyeoWook."

 

"Oh? Well, I'll have to say hello when we're not on a horse," Zhou Mi said. "I dabble in cooking as well and would be interested to see what kind of food he makes. Is he a good cook?"

 

"The best one I've ever met," KyuHyun chuckled. "I think you'll get along with him fine, and the rest of the crew. Aside from one grump and one horse, the rest are pretty decent."

 

"KyuHyun, if you call me a horse one more time I'm tying your bowstring around your tongue and hanging you from the nearest tree, do you understand me?" JungMin called over his shoulder.

 

"I think he heard you," Zhou Mi chuckled softly.

 

"See what I mean? He's mean, stay away from him," KyuHyun complained.

 

They arrived at the caravan, KyuHyun seeing YoungSaeng bargaining with a few townsfolk. Everyone else still gave the caravan a wide berth. "Well, here we are."

 

"The supplies will be delivered shortly HyungJoon, you and KyuHyun will help put them away," JungMin said, helping RyeoWook down off the back of his horse before following suit. "KyuHyun, you better go introduce your friend to Saeng before Saeng shoots him for being a thief."

 

"Aye," KyuHyun sighed, waiting for Zhou Mi to get down before climbing off the horse. HyungJoon took his horse's reins, eyeing the tall stranger with wary eyes as he led his horse away. "Come on Zhou Mi, this is our boss over here," he headed to where YoungSaeng was finishing up with his customers.

 

Smiling politely as the townsfolk walked away, YoungSaeng held back the sigh that tried to escape before turning around and seeing KyuHyun and Zhou Mi. "Oh…hello," he blinked.

 

"This is Zhou Mi, he's heading to Seoul," KyuHyun jammed his hands in his pockets. "I figured we could give him a lift."

 

"Pleasure to meet you," YoungSaeng said, polite smile returning even though he glanced at KyuHyun.

 

"It is nice to meet you as well," Zhou Mi said. "As I told KuiXian, I have very little to offer in the way of payment," he said, glancing around them as his voice lowered. "But I'm... kind of a doctor. I have a certain compound that can slow the affects of the virus once it's gone rampant. He said that would maybe be of value to you?"

 

Hearing that, YoungSaeng's eyes widened. "…Slow the virus?" He repeated, not sure if he'd heard that right. "That's…a bold claim to make." He tried not to look towards the caravan.

 

"I know, and if I had a way of proving it to you I would," Zhou Mi said. "But I wouldn't lie, not about this. Not when it's so important."

 

YoungSaeng glanced at KyuHyun. He hadn't figured out KyuJong's illness, had he? But KyuHyun didn't seem to be aware of it. "…Interesting," YoungSaeng smiled at Zhou Mi. "We'll be leaving once we have our supplies, I think we can take on one more person. Do you have all your belongings with you?"

 

"I do, I was actually about to leave myself when I saw KuiXian talking to a horse," Zhou Mi said, glancing at KyuHyun. "It was too adorable not to say something."

 

"KyuHyun!" RyeoWook called from the caravan. "The supplies are here, come help."

 

Grinning, KyuHyun turned to head over to the cart of supplies. "Coming!"

 

"You can go ahead and put your stuff in the caravan then," YoungSaeng told Zhou Mi. "But I hope you'll understand if we keep an eye on you."

 

"I would expect nothing less," Zhou Mi said. "I'm just as wary as you are, YoungSaeng. I have a lot more to lose."

 

"Everyone has something to lose these days," YoungSaeng replied. "I'll introduce you to the rest of the crew once we get on the road…would rather not idle here if I can help it," he watched the guards stationed around the marketplace.

 

"Neither would I," Zhou Mi nodded. "I'll be in the caravan then. Do you expect we'll be leaving fairly soon then?"

 

"Once the supplies are loaded. We'll talk more outside." YoungSaeng waved Kevin and KiBum over to help load up the caravan. Kevin peered at Zhou Mi with wide, curious eyes as he started to lug stuff back inside.

 

"Not bad Wook," KyuHyun said, seeing the amount of supplies they'd managed to get. He put his quiver and bow to the side so he could help bring everything into the caravan.

 

RyeoWook didn't reply, focused on checking the containers to make sure they were what they had agreed to with the shopkeeper. "So who's your friend?" he asked, his voice light, but tense.

 

"I wouldn't say 'friend', we just met," KyuHyun blinked, pulling the containers RyeoWook had checked over so he could pick them up easier. "He's from China though, I've never met anyone from China on this side of the border."

 

"I'm happy for you then," RyeoWook said, checking the last container. "He seems... weird. What were you two talking about in that other language?"

 

"Different things, but…Wook, he has a way to slow the virus," KyuHyun lowered his voice a little, tone excited. "That's what he's in Korea for, to put together the compound."

 

RyeoWook looked up at KyuHyun at that, his eyes narrowed. "... Really? That's... that's amazing. You sure he's telling the truth though? He could just be some kind of snake oil salesman."

 

"Apparently he helped out a kid here who was sick from the virus," KyuHyun murmured. "I don't know…I want to trust him. And now YoungSaeng's curious, so we'll find out sooner or later."

 

"We're just dropping him off in Seoul right?" RyeoWook asked, frowning a little.

 

"That's the plan for now," KyuHyun shrugged. "Why?" He lifted up a container, carrying it to the caravan's back gate.

 

"Just... asking," RyeoWook shrugged, going quiet as Zhou Mi approached the caravan.

 

"Well, your boss seems to think it's okay for me to join, you must be RyeoWook?" Zhou Mi grinned at him. "I heard you're the cook, we'll have to discuss recipes later. I like to dabble a bit myself." He turned to KyuHyun. "Where's a good place for my things?"

 

KyuHyun pushed the container into the caravan. "Uh…by my stuff I guess would be the best spot for now while we're loading up, you can stick them somewhere else once we're done. Just look for the bag with all the books."

 

"Thank you," Zhou Mi nodded, climbing into the back of the caravan. RyeoWook's lips thinned and he frowned at KyuHyun.

 

"So he's a cook and a doctor," RyeoWook said. "Anything he can't do?"

 

"I don't know, I just met the guy," KyuHyun blinked at RyeoWook, going to get the next container. "What, I thought you'd like having someone to share recipes with."

 

RyeoWook sighed a little, sitting down on one of the containers. "It's... I don't know. Maybe it's me being overly paranoid, but I don't really trust the guy."

 

"We're keeping an eye on him, same as when KyuJong and Kevin showed up, and HyungJoon and KiBum before them," KyuHyun shrugged, continuing to move their supplies into the caravan. "Maybe it's just the whole thing with JaeJoong that has you worried."

 

"You're probably right," RyeoWook said, shoulders slumping. "I've always been the trusting one. I don't know how it got like this. I guess nearly burning alive really did something to me."

 

"…Hey," KyuHyun sighed, turning around and walking up to RyeoWook. "It'll be fine," he crouched a little to meet RyeoWook's eyes. "I told you I'll keep you safe, no one's gonna hurt you if I have anything to say about it."

 

"I'm holding you to that," RyeoWook said, looking up at him. "You seemed to get on with that foreign guy pretty good though."

 

"You remember how badly my Korean when we first met?" KyuHyun snorted. "Apparently my Mandarin just as much now, but it feels good to speak in it again."

 

"Oh.." RyeoWook nodded, looking away again. "Well that's good, I guess."

 

"Would you two quit dawdling?" JungMin called. "We're on a timetable here, get your asses in gear."

 

"We're going!" KyuHyun groaned, going back to hauling containers inside the caravan. "If I bring these to the back gate can you get in the caravan and arrange them properly? Before JungMin has an aneurysm."

 

"Sure thing," RyeoWook nodded, hopping off the container and climbing up into the caravan to help.

 

With the whole caravan working, they managed to finish packing before the sun was directly overhead. YoungSaeng spoke briefly with one of the guards watching them before they rolled out, heading towards the gate. HyungJoon, JungMin and KiBum flanked the caravan's sides, Kevin sitting up on the front bench with YoungSaeng and watching their surroundings with wide eyes.

 

YoungSaeng could almost feel the collective sigh of relief as they passed through the gates and the caravan turned north-west to take the coastline up to Seoul. "All good back there?" he looked over his shoulder into the caravan once they were farther away from the compound.

 

"It's getting a little cramped back here boss," RyeoWook said. "Maybe we should invest in another horse next stop we make."

 

"It's a long way to Seoul," JungMin said with a frown, glancing at the caravan. "You'll just have to tough it out till then."

 

"I can ride with KiBum," Kevin offered, looking between them. "If someone wants to come take the bench."

 

"Kyu yah?" YoungSaeng called back. "How're you doing?"

 

"Just fine," KyuJong said, sitting on the bed of the caravan with his legs stretched out as best he could and his eyes closed. He was avoiding the odd look he was getting from their new traveling companion.

 

"…All right," YoungSaeng smiled a little sadly, before nodding to Kevin. "Go ride with KiBum. Zhou Mi, was it? Why don't you come up here and I'll introduce you to the others."

 

"I think I met most of you," Zhou Mi said, but complying. His long legs didn't make it easy for him to maneuver his way up to the front, stepping on some toes on his way but eventually made it to the bench. "I know KuiXian, and RyeoWook, and you of course YoungSaeng."

 

"That's less than half of us," YoungSaeng chuckled, though he raised an eyebrow. "Though I don't believe I have a 'KuiXian' here."

 

"Ah, yes, well, he told me to call him KuiXian," Zhou Mi said, glancing at KyuHyun over his shoulder. "I think he likes hearing his name in Chinese."

 

"…KyuHyun's priorities need a little work, but that sounds like him," YoungSaeng shook his head in amusement. "The other one back there is KyuJong, he'll probably come out once we're farther away from the compound."

 

Zhou Mi frowned a little, looking towards the back of the caravan again. "Is he alright?" he asked, his voice lowering so only YoungSaeng could hear.

 

YoungSaeng's smile slipped a little. KyuJong had told him not to speak of the virus to anyone, but YoungSaeng would have to talk to him about what he'd learned about Zhou Mi's profession. "…He's been ill for a week or so."

 

Zhou Mi nodded, turning away to smile up at the sky overhead. "When we stop for the night, I can take a look at him if you'd like," he said, keeping his voice low still.

 

"…That would be up to KyuJong, not me," YoungSaeng sighed softly, certain Zhou Mi knew, especially if he dealt with the virus on a regular basis. "I'm a little…curious, about your profession, perhaps you could indulge my curiosity later."

 

"I'd be happy to share what I can, YoungSaeng," Zhou Mi said. "I believe my knowledge is what's buying my passage here, yes?"

 

"You could say that," YoungSaeng nodded, looking ahead at the others. "Not that I mind escorting travelers from place to place, I would probably offer the service for free if I could, but I do have to make sure my crew stays fed somehow. I believe you've already met JungMin?" He pointed to his friend.

 

"Sort of?" Zhou Mi mused, watching JungMin. "A very interesting man. You don't see many like him these days... so full of life."

 

"That's JungMin. He's the caravan's bodyguard, and has the highest authority here besides myself. If I'm unavailable, follow his directions." YoungSaeng's eyes wandered along the others. "The two youngest riding together are Kevin and KiBum, KiBum's the one in front. And the man identical to KiBum on our other side is his older brother, HyungJoon." As could be expected, HyungJoon was visibly unhappy at yet another addition to their caravan and was keeping a wary eye on Zhou Mi.

 

"Not that it isn't a little bit expected, but half your crew seem to be glaring at me, or ignoring me altogether," Zhou Mi said. "You trust all of them YoungSaeng?"

 

"They wouldn't be here if I didn't trust them," YoungSaeng replied mildly. "It's hard to find genuinely good people in this world. Don't mind them, HyungJoon glares at everyone and the others will warm up to you, if you prove that we can trust you."

 

"Trust is something difficult to gain, despite how hard a person tries," Zhou Mi said. "I trust you all though. I have put my life in all of your hands, for good or bad I'm rather at your mercy now. You could just as easily haul me out to the middle of nowhere and kill me, but I doubt it. Whether you all decide it's worth trusting me or not, I hope you keep that in mind."

 

"I'm well aware of that, but thank you," YoungSaeng glanced at Zhou Mi. "The only people we've killed are the bandits who seem to think we're an easy target, and I'd like to keep it that way. But it wouldn't be the first time we've taken someone in only to be stabbed in the back, so you'll have to forgive us for not giving you that trust just yet."

 

"Like I said, I understand," Zhou Mi said. "It took some getting used to at first, but after three years of being in Korea I think I finally get it."

 

YoungSaeng's lips quirked. "I'm a little envious of people who travel like you and KyuHyun have, I admit. It's never even occurred to me to leave the country, because I'm not entirely sure where I would go or how I'd even fare."

 

"Never know until you try really," Zhou Mi shrugged. "Honestly I hadn't considered it myself either, not until I met my mentor. When he told me he was working on a cure, I had to do my part and continue his work."

 

"So there are others working on a cure," YoungSaeng murmured, trying not to glance over his shoulder into the caravan. "…Is it difficult to make, this delay of yours?"

 

"Not difficult to make it, no, it's gathering the right materials," Zhou Mi said. "And they can be very... very expensive. I've had to give away most of my personal items just to get what little I had to help that young girl. But now I know that I can make a working compound. That means more to me right now than anything."

 

"It means there's hope," YoungSaeng said quietly. He sighed softly, looking up at the sky. "We'll ride until evening, then stop for the night. With luck we'll reach the coast before then."

 

"Sounds good to me," Zhou Mi nodded. "If you'll excuse me YoungSaeng," he said, scooting around to slide back into the bed of the caravan, dropping down next to KyuHyun. "So tell me KuiXian, how is it you learned mandarin?"

 

"Hm?" KyuHyun looked up over the edge of the book he'd been reading. "I already said my family traveled through China. I think I was two or three when we crossed the border."

 

"That young? No wonder you're so much better than you should be," Zhou Mi replied. "How long did you live there for? What made you come back here?"

 

KyuHyun seemed amused at all the questions, putting his book down and saving the page with one hand. "My father caught plague when I was 17, and wanted to die in his hometown. After he was gone, my mother lost all motivation to travel and we ended up staying there."

 

"...Ah, I'm sorry," Zhou Mi replied, smiling sadly at him. "It must have been hard coming back here to Korea after living so long in my country... how did you end up working in this...? Whatever this would be."

 

"That would be half me, and half RyeoWook," KyuHyun smirked. "I hated the compound, and a little less than two years ago, YoungSaeng's caravan came through looking for trade and new crew. RyeoWook talked YoungSaeng into giving us a chance, and we've been with them ever since."

 

"Have you ever thought about returning?" Zhou Mi asked, a little distracted by RyeoWook suddenly getting to his feet and climbing over onto the driver's bench.

 

"…Yeah," KyuHyun nodded, eyes following RyeoWook. "I've always wanted to go back to China. But I can't leave RyeoWook, and I doubt he'd be comfortable over there, especially when he doesn't know the language."

 

"... Oh, are you two...?" Zhou Mi's head tilted slightly to the side. "I'm sorry... if I would have known... no wonder he doesn't seem to like me."

 

"…Are we what?" KyuHyun blinked at the chinese man. "Oh…no, we're not dating. We're just close friends. He makes sure I don't starve, and I stop him from being eaten by bears."

 

"Are you sure?" Zhou Mi mused, watching RyeoWook's turned back. "That's not the turned back of an upset friend, that's jealousy."

 

"Jealous of what, we're just talking," KyuHyun frowned. "I'm his annoying dongsaeng, I seriously doubt it."

 

"Well, you would know him better than me of course," Zhou Mi said, smiling a warm smile KyuHyun. "But maybe we should stick to the language everyone speaks, so we don't leave anyone out."

 

"….But I haven't been able to speak Mandarin in forever," KyuHyun grumbled unhappily, deflating. "Oh fine." He glanced towards RyeoWook, brow furrowed slightly before he sighed and looked to KyuJong, the only other one in the back of the caravan with them. "Though I don't think KyuJong's listening whether we speak in Korean or not."

 

Zhou Mi followed KyuHyun's gaze, eyeing the ill man who was propped up by the corner of the caravan bed. "... KyuJong?" he said, trying to get the man's attention, but he didn't move. "YoungSaeng, I think we may need to stop sooner than you had hoped."