Chapter 8

The Road Less Traveled

"Get on the horse," KyuHyun stepped aside. "I'll take a gander around and see if I can spot anything, you both get back to Saeng and tell him what happened. He's gonna be pissed."

 

"Be careful," RyeoWook said, climbing onto the horse behind HyungJoon. "He'll be more pissed if he has to get you both out of jail!"

 

HyungJoon kicked the horse's side and it lunched forward, racing back the way they'd came and leaving KyuHyun behind. It didn't take them long at all to reach the caravan. YoungSaeng was waiting for them, eyes narrowing as he saw KyuHyun and JungMin weren't with them.

 

"Wook? Where's Min?" he asked, meeting them as the horse stopped.

 

"They took him," RyeoWook said, sliding down off the horse not so gracefully. "People in the market, I don't know who they were." He relayed to Youngsaeng what had happened, and that KyuHyun had stayed behind to see what he could find out. "I don't know where they took Min."

 

YoungSaeng had never shown much of a temper, but hearing RyeoWook's story, his entire expression darkened dangerously. "…I see."

 

He looked back at the caravan and the others. "I think it's time we move out. Wook I need you, Kevin and KiBum to take the caravan and leave. Get a safe distance away off the main roads, towards the next compound. HyungJoon, you and KyuJong are with me."

 

"Yes boss," RyeoWook nodded, climbing up into the driver's seat "KiBum, Kevin, get in," he said, pointing to the back. "KyuJong and Saeng are going to need your horse KiBum." KiBum didn't protest, handing his reins over to YoungSaeng before helping Kevin up into the back of the caravan.

 

"Any idea why they'd want to take JungMin?" KyuJong asked YoungSaeng, watching as the caravan left.

 

"No, but I intend to find out," YoungSaeng said, hopping up onto KiBum's horse. "Get on, Kyu. HyungJoon, take us to where you left KyuHyun."

 

Nodding, HyungJoon waited for KyuJong to get on behind YoungSaeng before wheeling his horse around and taking off. They headed towards the marketplace at a good gallop, YoungSaeng watching their surroundings carefully.

 

As they reached the general store, KyuHyun stepped out from between two buildings farther down. "Well?" YoungSaeng asked when they drew level with him.

 

"Some kids saw what happened, and recognized the guys who took Min as working for some merchant in charge of the marketplace," KyuHyun said, climbing up behind HyungJoon.

 

"Good job," YoungSaeng nodded, setting his horse towards the market. "Let's find this merchant and have a friendly chat."

 

"Did you find out where the merchant is?" KyuJong asked KyuHyun.

 

"They say he works out of the last building on this street," KyuHyun replied, nodding up ahead.

 

They stopped outside of the building in question, YoungSaeng dismounting and tying the horse reins to a post. "We've got your back, boss," HyungJoon said, dismounting as well with his gun in one hand.

 

"Don't go trigger-happy yet," YoungSaeng glanced at him. "We don't know what they've done with Min, he could be a hostage." Striding up to the door, his lips thinned and he pushed it open.

 

KyuJong felt more than a little intimidated, even though there were four of them, there were two men inside with guns along with a third man seated at a beaten up looking desk. "Can I help you gentlemen?" the man at the desk asked.

 

YoungSaeng stopped a few feet from the desk, dark eyes on the speaker. "You must be this merchant I've heard about. Your men have abducted one of my workers. Where is he?"

 

"If you're referring to the thief I had my men pick up earlier, then I'm afraid you're out of luck," the man said. "You can see him, but he's scheduled to be executed in about an hour."

 

"On what grounds?" YoungSaeng replied sharply, taking another step forward. "JungMin is no thief."

 

"Of course he wouldn't admit to it, but he stole from me," the man said, backing the two guards away who had lifted their weapons when YoungSaeng approached. "I hired him years ago as a strong man to watch one of my caravans but turned tail when bandits hit. Not before taking off with some of my weapons and gold."

 

KyuHyun's eyes widened slightly, eyes going to YoungSaeng's back. It was hard to tell with YoungSaeng facing away from him what the other man thought about that, but from the silence that followed the statement, YoungSaeng hadn't been expecting that.

 

"…Really. I was unaware of this." YoungSaeng replied calmly. "I want to speak with him."

 

"Normally I don't let people talk to my prisoners but... I can see you've been duped by him as well," the man chuckled. "Very well, the guards here will take you to where he's being held. I hope he hasn't stolen too much from you."

 

"That's what I hope to find out. I believe my crew and I are owed an explanation, thank you," YoungSaeng nodded to the man at the desk, before motioning at the others to follow behind him.

 

One of the guards opened a second door different from the one they had come in, leading the group down a flight of stairs. Lamps lit the way and at the bottom of the stairs there was a large room with a couple of doors on the far wall. The guard went to the nearest one and opened it, weapon drawn. "Yah, you've got some visitors," he said before looking back at YoungSaeng. "Make it quick."

 

YoungSaeng glanced back at KyuHyun and HyungJoon, meeting their eyes before turning and stepping into the room. "JungMin?"

 

"..., hey Saeng," JungMin groaned. KyuJong winced a little when he finally got a good look at him. Face battered with dried blood smeared on his clothes and in his hair, he had definitely taken a good beating. "So... you here to save me, or spit on me?"

 

"These folk say you stole from them," YoungSaeng said quietly, crouching down in front of JungMin. "That true, Min ah?"

 

JungMin sighed, shifting and wincing in pain when he did. "Sorry Saeng... I probably should have told you a long time ago, but didn't think you'd like to hear it. I did. I've never lied to you before and I'm not going to lie now."

 

"I don't like finding out this way either," YoungSaeng said, voice stern. "Lying by omission is still a lie. I trusted you to keep our crew safe."

 

"I know," JungMin said, looking down at the floor. "For what it's worth I'm sorry. I wanted to do right by you... looks like I won't be able to do that anymore."

 

YoungSaeng watched JungMin's expression. "How seriously do you take your job, Min?"

 

While they'd been talking, KyuHyun slipped around behind the guard, out of his line of sight.

 

"Very seriously," JungMin replied. "It's the most important thing I've ever done."

 

"You've kept us safe for over two years. But don't forget." YoungSaeng stood up. "Keeping our crew safe is my job too."

 

KyuHyun hit the guard hard over the head, catching him before he could hit the floor. Tossing the guard's gun to YoungSaeng, he dragged the unconscious man inside the cell. YoungSaeng held the gun out to JungMin with a small smirk.

 

"You really trust me after what you heard I did?" JungMin asked, eyeing the gun.

 

"You've never given me a reason to doubt you before," YoungSaeng replied. "Are you really going to start now?"

 

"No... you're too cute to piss off," JungMin chuckled, taking the gun. "How the hell we going to get out of here?"

 

"I would say carefully," KyuJong said, glancing up the stairs. "You got a plan Saeng?"

 

"I would like to get out of here without killing anyone, but I might make an exception for the who was going to execute him," YoungSaeng said mildly, holding his hand out to help JungMin up. "Hey Joon, feel like being an actor?"

 

"…What?" HyungJoon, keeping watch by the door, looked at him in confusion.

 

"You do a real good panic attack when you're worried about your brother," YoungSaeng met his eyes. "Go upstairs and tell that other guard that JungMin tried to off his buddy, make it convincing. Get him down here."

 

HyungJoon nodded, taking a deep breath before turning and leaving. "Well this is getting more fun by the minute," KyuHyun smirked, wedging himself into a corner back out in the main room. A few seconds later they could hear HyungJoon's voice upstairs, turned a couple notches higher in panic.

 

KyuJong flattened himself up against the wall under the stairs, watching as the second guard came down with HyungJoon on his heels. "I can't believe they bought that," he murmured to KyuHyun.

 

It was very obvious something was amiss when the guard approached the cell door with his gun drawn. Not only was the first guard not there, neither was JungMin who had hidden himself behind the open door.

 

"Where the hell—" the guard started to say, until to be cut off by a blow to the back of his head by JungMin.

 

"We should probably get out of here now, before upstairs gets anxious and calls in more guys," JungMin said, reliving the second guard of his gun and handing it over to YoungSaeng.

 

"Funny, I was thinking the same thing." YoungSaeng took the gun with a nod. He turned towards the stairs, heading up silently.

 

Reaching the main floor, he pointed his gun at the man behind the desk. "Don't move." KyuHyun hurried up behind him and went to the door, peering out.

 

The man at the desk frowned, and it was clear he was reaching for a weapon underneath the desk. "You won't be getting out of here alive, I own this city."

 

JungMin sighed, shaking his head. "You only own it as long as you can pay for it," he said, raising his gun and pointing it right at the man's head. "And mercs don't stick around if their boss is dead."

 

"Min, maybe you should—" KyuJong started, cut off at the gun shot, eyes widening. JungMin didn't even look fazed, ignoring the body that slumped out of the chair as he went to the door. "There's a weapon locker in the next room, everyone needs to gear up."

 

"I thought we were trying to avoid noise, they'll have heard that outside," KyuHyun glanced back at them from the door. "What the hell, what happened to knocking them out?"

 

YoungSaeng's lips thinned as he looked down at the body. "Min, you and I are having a long talk when we're out of here." He strode across the room to pull open the door, stepping inside. "Take whatever you can. You too KyuHyun, you can argue about arrows being better than guns later."

 

"What, and this coming after me again later?" JungMin made a face. "He wanted to kill me, of course I was going to take care of him."

 

"Conversation that we can have later when we're not about to get shot at," KyuJong said, following YoungSaeng to the weapon locker. He took a handgun for himself and a shotgun with plenty of shells. "Anyone know how to get out of the compound?"

 

"We'll be too obvious in a group," YoungSaeng replied, making sure his guns had enough spare clips. "Our best bet is to split up and regroup outside the compound. They'll have some emergency exits out in case of attacks, if not then there's the gate. The sooner we're out, the better, because once they find that guy dead all hell's going to break loose."

 

"There's a back door over here," HyungJoon called from farther in the building.

 

"Good, we'll go out that way one at a time." YoungSaeng looked between them. "Don't get yourselves killed."

 

"Isn't that usually the plan?" JungMin said, following HyungJoon's voice to the door. It led out to an alley and a quick peek told him that there wasn't anyone watching the back way in. "I'll go first, HyungJoon you go right, I'll go left. The rest of you follow one of us and then we'll meet back up outside the compound. Don't draw any attention to yourselves."

 

"Now who's stating the obvious," KyuHyun said when he joined them.

 

"Argue later, go," YoungSaeng whispered.

 

KyuJong gave a glance to YoungSaeng before following after HyungJoon. When they reached the mouth of the alley, he peeked around the edge. "It doesn't seem like they've raised any kind of alarm. I thought they would have come running once they heard the shot," he said, trying not to look too obvious.

 

"Maybe the townsfolk didn't want him in charge," HyungJoon replied, eyes watching for danger. YoungSaeng and KyuHyun were nowhere to be seen; they'd followed JungMin. "Come on, we can skirt around the edge of town." He headed off towards the stone walls.

 

"Yeah, but what about his men?" KyuJong said, following HyungJoon out onto the dirt street.

 

"Either they were in it only for the money and could care less, or we should be watching our backs," HyungJoon glanced back at KyuJong before turning towards the front again.

 

Reaching the stone wall, he headed in the direction of the gate but seemed more focused on the wall itself, searching for something. "Where is it…"

 

"What are you looking for?" KyuJong whispered.

 

"A compound like this always has escape routes planned out," HyungJoon replied, eyes narrowing at a patch of vines growing along the wall farther down. Jogging to it, he touched the vines lightly before pushing them to one side, pulling out the two knotted ropes from underneath. They were secured to the top of the wall. Gathering one rope, he threw it over the wall. "After you."

 

KyuJong glanced around once before taking the rope in hand and slowly but carefully made his way up to the top. Soon as he was over and close to the ground he hopped off the rope, backing away and hiding behind some vegetation to wait for HyungJoon.

 

HyungJoon had followed as soon as KyuJong was clear of the top, scaling the wall and dropping down to the ground. He joined KyuJong in the bushes. "Now we just have to find the others," he murmured. "Do you remember where we're supposed to be heading next? North, south?"

 

"I don't think JungMin was specific," KyuJong said, shaking his head. "But Saeng told the caravan to head out, they're probably somewhere off the road leading up to the compound somewhere."

 

"Then let's find them," HyungJoon sighed, standing straight and heading along the wall towards the road.

 

Keeping to the trees, they found the road and headed away from the compound. It wasn't long before they found the caravan safely hiding in a ditch just off the road. RyeoWook was the first to notice them, looking a little relieved. "Where are the others?" he asked, noticing that it was just the two of them and glancing around.

 

"We split up, I'm sure they'll be here soon," KyuJong said, noticing how worried RyeoWook looked.

 

HyungJoon went straight to KiBum, to check on his brother. Kevin watched them before turning his attention back to the trees, chewing on his lip worriedly.

 

"Where are we getting out of here anyways?" KyuHyun whispered to JungMin as they hurried down the back roads. YoungSaeng followed behind them from a slight distance, keeping an eye out for mercenaries. "They'll be all over the gate."

 

"Hey, this is your rescue operation, not mine," JungMin said, stopping them at the edge of the building and looking out. "First though, we need to get my horse. Not letting those s take him."

 

"KiBum's and Joon's were by the front of the building, we can swing around and grab them," YoungSaeng replied, frowning. "I didn't see your horse though, I don't know where they would have taken him."

 

"Probably his personal stable," JungMin said. "Okay, you two go get the horses then, I'm going to find mine and meet up with you. I have a plan."

 

"Well now I'm worried," KyuHyun headed towards the front of the building.

 

"Be careful Min, we're not fishing you out of a cell again," YoungSaeng looked at the other man before following after KyuHyun.

 

As JungMin thought, his horse was in the merchant's personal stable. He avoided the stable hands who didn't seem to be paying attention to anything but the girl working across the road. Though they did notice when after he had his horse saddled and was charging towards them through the open door. That's when all hell broke loose

 

A pair of guards who were strolling down the street were nearly run over as JungMin galloped through, yelling to YoungSaeng and KyuHyun as he passed. "I'll meet you outside!" he yelled, heading right for the gate.

 

"A warning would have been nice!" KyuHyun leapt up on the horse's back and kicked it into a gallop. YoungSaeng followed behind him, flinching when a gunshot went off. The second bullet tore a hole in his sleeve, and he ducked low to the horse. Up ahead, more guards were hearing the commotion and moving in their way, drawing weapons.

 

KyuHyun drew an arrow from his quiver and took aim. The arrow went flying and hit one of the guards square in the chest, his arm flailing and firing the gun into the sky as he collapsed.

 

JungMin wasn't slowing; reins gripped tightly in one hand and his pistol in another, he charged right towards the blockade that was forming in front of the gate.. Not that it mattered though, because JungMin didn't even stop as he pounded through. As he thought, those in the way rolled to the side, knocking over others in their way. Luckily, the gate hadn't even been closed at that point, the guards having been caught by surprise. When he was outside, he turned and fired towards the backs of the guards who were looking to hit YoungSaeng and KyuHyun.

 

YoungSaeng had his own gun out, wincing at having to use his burned hand even as he fired it at the guards. KyuHyun got another arrow in, and then they were past the gate. "Come on!" YoungSaeng took the lead, going away from where the caravan would be to throw off pursuers.

 

"So did we lose them?" KyuHyun asked when he caught up.

 

"Well they weren't on horses, so it'll be a while before they even get close to us," JungMin grinned, letting his horse slow a little. "I'd say that worked pretty well don't you think?"

 

"I would have preferred not having to shoot so many people," YoungSaeng replied, glancing behind them. "We'll loop around and regroup with the others, I hope they found another way out because that gate's going to be impossible to get through."

 

"They're fine, for sure. So where's our thank you for saving your ?" KyuHyun asked JungMin.

 

"I'll thank you later," JungMin said, winking at KyuHyun.

 

YoungSaeng snorted, shaking his head as KyuHyun started protesting loudly. "I don't think he's interested," he looked back at JungMin.

 

"Hell no. Go thank someone else. Go thank HyungJoon or something."

 

"Thank him for what?" JungMin made a face. "You're cuter anyway."

 

"He helped save your thieving too, and he doesn't even like us," KyuHyun wrinkled his nose at the older man. "I'm cute, but you're not."

 

"Excuse you, I'm the cutest one here besides Saeng," JungMin said. "Alright, if you don't want my thanks, then Saeng'll get your share."

 

"I'll pass," YoungSaeng said wryly. "And since I doubt KyuJong will want any of your 'thanks' too, that leaves HyungJoon, the poor man." He turned them off the road onto a deer path.

 

"I think I'd rather kiss my horse," JungMin made a face. "Well fine, if no one wants my undying gratitude then you won't get it. You don't know what you're missing."

 

It took them another ten minutes to find the caravan on the other side of the compound, hidden off to one side. YoungSaeng whistled when they approached, and those gathered around the caravan looked up. "You're back!" Kevin brightened.

 

"No problems over here?" YoungSaeng asked, dismounting beside the caravan.

 

"No, I don't think anyone saw us," KyuJong said, nodding to YoungSaeng. "Everything go alright with you?"

 

"We're here aren't we? So obviously," JungMin said, sliding off his horse. "HyungJoon, I think you and I need to have a word, follow me?"

 

HyungJoon looked over from where he was standing by KiBum, frowning. "…All right."

 

"We're leaving in a minute," YoungSaeng called after them, watching as HyungJoon turned to follow JungMin away from the caravan.

 

"What's that all about?" KyuJong asked as he came up beside YoungSaeng. "Everything okay?"

 

"Everything's fine," YoungSaeng looked at KyuJong with a small smile. "Thank you for helping out, back there. You didn't have to, but you did."

 

"Why wouldn't I help?" KyuJong blinked, looking back at him. "Far as I see it... I think I'm in this with you guys."

 

YoungSaeng grinned, but whatever he was about to say was overrun by a loud protest. "Is everything just a joke to you?!"

 

Glancing over his shoulder, he watched HyungJoon storm away from where he'd been talking with JungMin. "Got to be kidding me," the younger man grumbled as he passed by them, grabbing his horse's reins and mounting up.

 

"I wasn't joking!" JungMin called after him. Though by the grin on his face, KyuJong wasn't sure if JungMin was telling the truth or not.

 

"I probably don't want to know do I?" KyuJong shook his head.

 

"So are we leaving soon or are we going to sit around and embarrass HyungJoon all day?" RyeoWook asked, poking his head out of the caravan.

 

"We're moving out," YoungSaeng replied, climbing up into the caravan bench. "You've got your horse back, KiBum. HyungJoon, go scout out a clear path just in case they've tried searching for us."

 

"Yes boss," HyungJoon was still fuming and flustered, turning his horse towards the trees and heading off.

 

"He's so touchy," JungMin shook his head. "Kevin, here," he handed out his reins to the young man. "I'm not in any condition to really ride today. You take care of him and treat him nicely or you'll end up flat on your ."

 

Blinking repeatedly at the reins behind held out to him, Kevin smiled widely. "I'll take care of him." He took the reins and mounted up carefully.

 

"Climb up, Min," YoungSaeng said. "Get some rest, and have Wook look at those injuries."

 

"Yes boss," JungMin said, climbing into the caravan. "If you lose my horse Kevin, we're losing you in the woods somewhere!"

 

"He's kidding," KiBum said, frowning a little. "I think."

 

"I'll not take the risk," Kevin laughed nervously. "He's scary when he's mad."

 

They set out back towards the road once HyungJoon reported back that the path was clear. Listening to the creaking of the caravan, YoungSaeng let KyuJong take care of the steering while he went back into the caravan. "So," he said, sitting down across from JungMin. "Are we going to talk about what just happened?"

 

Stretched out on the bench, JungMin opened his one good eye and looked at YoungSaeng. "Probably should. You pissed at me?"

 

"I'm pissed that you weren't honest with me," YoungSaeng replied, watching him. "And I'm pissed that it made me even for a minute doubt your intentions with us."

 

"How close were you to just walking out of the compound and leaving me behind?" JungMin asked, his expression unreadable.

 

"Closer than I would have liked," YoungSaeng replied. "I like knowing when I can trust people. I trust you more than anyone else here, and I don't like the idea that if we were hit by bandits one day, you'd turn tail and leave us to die."

 

JungMin was quiet for a moment before he sat up to look at YoungSaeng properly. "I'm not proud of what I did, ditching that caravan back then. But I made a choice. The whole caravan was slaughtered, so it was either me fighting off a dozen bandits or save my own skin. I chose to save myself. I'd put my neck out for that several times before and never got paid for it. I wasn't going to die like that, not for him."

 

"And would you leave us the same way?" YoungSaeng asked.

 

"No," JungMin replied, not even hesitating. "You're family to me Saeng, and I never want to see you be hurt in any way. You're the one good thing I got in this hell hole of a world."

 

YoungSaeng's lips quirked softly. "Good. I don't want anything happening to make me doubt you again. Get lots of rest back here, I need my best man in top shape."

 

"I'll just rest for a few hours, then I'll be back out front," JungMin said.

 

"Oh, no, you need a few days rest," RyeoWook piped up from the front. "I told you you could have a concussion so you're doing nothing but resting for a while."

 

"... But I feel fine," JungMin pouted. "A bump on the head won't kill me."

 

"It was more than a bump on the head, Min. You got a royal pounding," YoungSaeng sighed, standing. "If we're family now, then listen to your older brother and rest. Don't make me take a leaf out of HyungJoon's book."

 

"... Yes boss," JungMin grumbled, laying back down on the bench. "I'll just be back here, dying from a bump on the head and from boredom."

 

"I can lend you a book to read," KyuHyun said cheekily from his corner of the caravan.

 

"Nope, I'm not resting in here if he's here," JungMin said, moving to sit up again. "I'll box his brains in."

 

"KyuHyun, come sit with me and leave him alone," RyeoWook said from the front of the caravan.

 

"I offer to share a book and get threatened," KyuHyun sighed, standing and moving to the front.

 

"You, lie down," YoungSaeng pointed at JungMin.

 

"Even if JungMin is injured, he can still hit you," RyeoWook said quietly to KyuHyun, patting the seat next to him. He heard JungMin grumble and lay back down.

 

"The thanks I get for risking my life," KyuHyun sat down next to RyeoWook. "You had no problems getting out though?"

 

"No, they let us right out the front gates," RyeoWook said. "Someone asked where the rest were and I told them you guys were talking to a merchant about something. What happened?"

 

KyuHyun lowered his voice, the creaking of the caravan wheels stopping his words from carrying back to the others. "They jailed him for ditching the caravan he guarded before this one. Apparently bandits hit and he took off with their gold and weapons."

 

RyeoWook's eyes widened at that. "He did?" he whispered, leaning towards KyuHyun. "That seems so... not like him though."

 

"He confirmed it when we went to see him in the cell," KyuHyun replied, glancing at RyeoWook. "For some reason though, Saeng still trusts him. I saw it in his eyes, that he wasn't leaving that place without JungMin."

 

"Do you still trust him?" RyeoWook asked, chewing a little at his lip.

 

KyuHyun's lips thinned. "…No," he replied after a moment.

 

"Listen... if things end up going pear shaped here, you and me, we stick together," RyeoWook said, glancing over his shoulder to where YoungSaeng was sitting. "I mean I like being with these guys, but we have to look out for ourselves too, right?"

 

"Right," KyuHyun nodded. "Between the two of us, we can take care of ourselves. Just keep an eye on him with me, okay? I'd hate to see anything happen to these people, and YoungSaeng's too gullible sometimes."

 

"Yeah... but we're not," RyeoWook said. "I don't want what happened the other night to happen again."

 

"With JaeJoong?" KyuHyun glanced at RyeoWook.

 

"Yeah, you could have died, I almost died," RyeoWook nodded. "When I heard you got hurt... I was really worried about you."

 

KyuHyun's lips curled slightly. "Gonna take much more than that to kill me. I guess I was worried about you too, when I finally woke up." He sighed, leaning back on his hands. "If it happens again…you and me'll leave, find our own way. Okay?"

 

"Right," RyeoWook said, putting his hand on KyuHyun's knee. "You and me. We started out together, couldn't imagine it any other way."

 

"Yeah," KyuHyun chuckled. "You're not as much of a compound kid as you were before either. You've got some experience now."

 

"I wasn't that bad," RyeoWook pouted at him. "I mean, I could have been like Kevin... I wasn't as bad as Kevin right?"

 

"…Are you sure you want me to answer that?" KyuHyun asked.

 

RyeoWook scowled and flicked KyuHyun lightly on the ear. "I could have been worse. And if it wasn't for me you would have starved."

 

Squawking, KyuHyun covered his ear. "And if it wasn't for me you would have impaled yourself on a tree branch, so we're even?"

 

"I guess so," RyeoWook wrinkled his nose. "So basically we make a good team."

 

"That's one way to look at it," KyuHyun grinned, wrapping his arm around RyeoWook's thin shoulders. "The best team ever."

 

"Well, I wouldn't say the best," RyeoWook snorted. "But I don't think I'd be as happy if it were anyone else."

 

"Good, I'd be very insulted if so," KyuHyun wrinkled his nose at RyeoWook.

 

"Can you two be quiet, some of us are trying to get some mandatory rest here," JungMin grumbled.

 

"Not trying very hard apparently," KyuHyun quipped back at him.

 

"Don't start anything," YoungSaeng sighed, headed back to the front bench where KyuJong was. "One day I'm going to duct tape both your mouths shut."

 

"I can't tell if they like each other, or just really enjoy antagonizing one another," KyuJong said once YoungSaeng had sat down.

 

"Probably the latter," YoungSaeng replied, stretching out his arms. "You okay over here? I can take over from you in a few hours, I want to get as far away from here as possible before we stop for any breaks."

 

"I'm fine, and I don't know if you have enough of a grip yet to hold the reins," KyuJong said. "What if those people catch up to us?"

 

"Then we take care of them," YoungSaeng replied. "At that point they're little better than bandits to me. And I have enough of a grip to use a weapon at least."

 

"Then you use a weapon and let me handle the driving," KyuJong said. "You're probably a better shot than me anyway."

 

"Wanna put that to the test once my hand's healed?" YoungSaeng smirked. "Can make it into a contest, maybe sneak KyuHyun's bow away from him for an hour."

 

"I don't need a test to know," KyuJong chuckled. "I waste more ammo shooting at game than target practice."

 

"Maybe Kevin isn't the only one who could do with a few lessons then," YoungSaeng teased.

 

"Probably wouldn't hurt in the long run," KyuJong said, glancing at him. "Practice is always good."

 

YoungSaeng nodded. "We'll get some in when we've stopped." He watched the three on horses, HyungJoon up ahead and Kevin keeping near KiBum. Sighing softly, he leaned back in the seat and listened to the creaking of the wheels. Life was getting more hectic each day, and as well as he hid it, it worried him. Danger wasn't something they needed more of; there was enough trouble to be found already.