Chapter Twenty Three

The Road Less Traveled

Upstairs, HyungJoon watched from the doorway as YoungSaeng tried to keep KyuJong as comfortable as he could, singing to him softly while he slept. Arms folded over his chest, he glanced towards the far corner of the room where JongWoon was tied up before ducking out of the room. He headed down the hallway, checking in each room for wood or furniture for the fire as he went.

 

"There aren't any escape routes up here," JungMin said, leaning up against the doorway of a room down the hall. "I wouldn't let you get very far either way."

 

HyungJoon stopped, looking up to see JungMin. "…As if I'd go without KiBum," he said after a moment, looking into the next room. "I'm just looking for more wood for the fire. What are you doing?"

 

"Keeping myself distracted," JungMin shrugged. "Saeng's pretty much forbidden me from being anywhere near JongWoon and someone should really keep an eye on you."

 

"I don't need someone keeping an eye on me," HyungJoon glanced at him. "I'm just…I don't want to be in that room, so I'm just wandering. Why did he forbid you?"

 

"Because I get an itchy trigger finger when I look at him," JungMin said. "Saeng doesn't really like it when I kill people, even if it's better for everyone. If I hadn't killed that who had me locked up in a basement, we'd still be running from him."

 

HyungJoon slowly walked down the hallway towards JungMin, peering into each room as he went. "I never got the full story about that," he replied.

 

"Not much to know," JungMin said, watching him. "He thought I stole from him, and I did, but he owed me money and his jobs were too hazardous for my liking. Especially when I'm the only one gets out of a jacking alive. Guess he didn't agree."

 

"You worked for him before YoungSaeng? How long?" HyungJoon stopped beside JungMin.

 

"Too long," JungMin replied vaguely. "Long enough to know when to cut my losses and move on. I'm glad I did. Not only would I have been dead by now otherwise, I wouldn't have met Saeng or anyone else."

 

Nodding slightly, HyungJoon met JungMin's eyes. "You and YoungSaeng have been together for a while?"

 

"Couple years," JungMin nodded, tilting his head slightly to the side. "Long enough to trust each other, even if we don't always agree. Can't say that for a lot of people these days."

 

"…Yeah," HyungJoon murmured in agreement, looking away. He seemed to struggle with something to say for a moment before walking past JungMin. "I'm going to search the rooms upstairs. I don't need anyone keeping an eye on me, but…if you want to come along, that's fine."

 

"You're actually asking for some company? Now that's a surprise," JungMin chuckled, pushing away from the door frame to follow.

 

"…Not asking for company, just figured if you're going to be wandering around the place anyways…" HyungJoon grumbled a little, the tips of his ears red as he headed up the stairs. "These buildings are creepy."

 

"Yeah... sometimes it feels like you're going to turn a corner and someone will be standing there," JungMin said. "People used to tell stories about how the cities like Seoul were full of ghosts and you could hear them scream at night they were in so much pain."

 

HyungJoon suppressed a shiver. "No such thing as ghosts, but if any place would be haunted, I guess this would be the place. There could very easily be bodies just lying around in one of the rooms."

 

"Nah, I grew up in Seoul. People in the cities burned bodies for fuel when they started piling up," JungMin said.

 

"Ah…not sure whether to be glad about that or not." HyungJoon frowned as he reached the next floor, looking out of a window across the city. "I think I was from Seoul…or maybe just north of it. Yeah…I guess just north of it."

 

"Not much up that ways now," JungMin said, glancing out the window as well. "Couple of compounds up that way were lost to bandits years back. Those that survived came here. Seems like more and more people are heading this way. It's about the safest place there is these days."

 

"Is it really that much safer here than out on the road?" HyungJoon looked at JungMin.

 

"No, but people think the more people the better protected you are," JungMin said. "Course the bandits won't hit the city, it's too well guarded by the militia in town. Doesn't mean the gangs don't make your life miserable. But... there are some people trying to do some good I hear. Some are trying to make a working government again."

 

"Better than nothing, if they don't get taken out by the gangs," HyungJoon replied. "Do you actually think they'll be able to make a government?"

 

"Possible, if they get enough support," JungMin said. "Which means they'd have to get one of the bigger gangs to restore order. Not sure if it's worth it to be honest."

 

"What do you mean?" HyungJoon asked.

 

"One gang gets the public's backing to take over, eliminate all their rivals," JungMin said, looking at him. "You think they're just going to hand over that kind of power to politicians?"

 

HyungJoon frowned, looking away. "I guess it would be too much to hope things could eventually go back to the way they were before the plague."

 

"I think the world's too far past that," JungMin said. "But doesn't mean we have to live like this forever. Maybe we can be better next time around."

 

"I hope so," HyungJoon said quietly, turning away from the window. "It probably won't be in our lifetimes…but I really hope so."

 

"Me too... That's why we gotta just live, you know?" JungMin said. "People that lived in these places had no idea how good they had it. Food, water that came out of pipes that was clean. Medicines for headaches... and everyone could read and write. Even if things are pretty ty, we're alive, and that's what matters."

 

"It's hard to even imagine," HyungJoon looked down at the floor. "It seems like a lot of people in the caravan know how to read and write…they're lucky."

 

"Yeah, but don't tell them that," JungMin snorted, nudging HyungJoon in the ribs. "They think they're so superior cause of it. Nothing wrong with us for not knowing how to read. Not our faults no one could teach us."

 

"Someone did teach me," HyungJoon looked at JungMin beside him. "My dad."

 

"... Oh," JungMin's expression softened a little. "I know what you went through was pretty rough... have you ever talked about it with anyone before? Besides Kibum?"

 

HyungJoon shook his head, looking away. "Who's there to talk to? I didn't…even with KiBum, I didn't tell him everything, just what he needed to know. He doesn't remember, it's easier for him not remembering and not thinking about it all the time."

 

"Joon... sometimes talking about things helps," JungMin said. "It can't change the past, but at least you'll have someone to turn to, who will understand. You can talk to me if you need to."

 

"…I wouldn't even know where to start," HyungJoon said quietly. "I doubt you really want to hear my whole life story."

 

"Maybe I do," JungMin said, putting a hand on HyungJoon's shoulder. "You don't have to unload on me right away, just know I'm here for you when you need it."

 

HyungJoon looked at the hand on his shoulder, then up at JungMin. "…Thanks," he murmured after a moment. "Do you really think it will help? Cause I'm still waiting for one of the others to decide they really want that cure."

 

"I think it's up to you to decide if it'll help or not," JungMin said, squeezing HyungJoon's shoulder a little. "Don't worry about the others. If they want that cure, they'll have to go through me and Saeng, and no one's a better shot than me except Saeng."

 

A small smile curled HyungJoon's lips at that, before he sighed loudly and slid down the wall to sit on the floor below the window. "Sometimes I wonder what would have happened if there hadn't been a fire, and we hadn't gotten out," he said. "If there'd be a cure out there right now, if less people would be dying. If we'd still be running, or if we'd just be dead."

 

Crouching down next to him, JungMin pursed his lips at that, his eyes narrowing. "Yeah... and I wonder sometimes if Saeng had been born a girl if he'd still be as pretty or if he'd just be an ugly girl."

 

Blinking repeatedly, HyungJoon snorted and laughed a little. "What does that have to do with anything?"

 

"We can wonder about how things could have been every day of our lives, but we'll never know for sure," JungMin said. "At the end of the day, does it really matter if you keep yourself up at night asking yourself pointless questions? Not gonna change anything."

 

Smile fading, HyungJoon nodded and looked down at his lap. "You have a point…but for a long time it was just me and my questions. Sometimes it was better to daydream about what could have happened than face what had." He closed his eyes. "I didn't really understand when it was happening, but looking back on it I think everything began when my mom was dying from the virus, and there was absolutely nothing my dad could do to stop it from happening. She died when I was eight and KiBum was five. I can't even remember her face anymore."

 

"You think if you would have known what he was trying to do, knowing what you know now, would you have wanted to be cured?" JungMin asked, glancing at him.

 

HyungJoon sighed quietly. "…Would you hate me if I said I'd rather not have been cured at all than go through everything?" he asked.

 

"No, I think you'd be smart," JungMin said. "You've been through hell because of what he did. He could have killed you or your brother... and you didn't even get a say in it."

 

"Whenever I think of what could have happened if there hadn't been a fire, I think the most likely outcome would have been us dying," HyungJoon's shoulders hunched a little, arms folded across his chest. Opening his eyes, he looked across the empty hallway in front of them. "From the ages of eight to ten…five to seven for KiBum…I don't remember leaving the house much. We were in separate rooms most of the time, and the last year…I don't think I left my room at all. I remember needles and tiny, sharp blades, being strapped down to a bed with things sticking out of my arm… I remember barely being able to speak because I'd screamed myself hoarse. I remember hearing KiBum crying and screaming from the next room and wanting to get up and go to him, but it hurt so much I couldn't even move."

 

"You keep saying there was a fire... how did the fire start?" JungMin asked, watching him with a concerned expression.

 

"I honestly don't know…KiBum kept on asking me if I started it, but I was in my room when I smelled smoke," HyungJoon murmured. "It was…one of the few days my head was clear, and I could move properly. When I left the room I saw the smoke, and dad was nowhere to be found. I carried KiBum out of there, because he was still dizzy from whatever dad had done to us. By the time we got out, the whole house was on fire. It started collapsing when we were a few streets over."

 

"So you don't know if your father was inside when it was on fire then," JungMin said. "What did you do after that?"

 

"We got out of town," HyungJoon replied. "After KiBum was able to move. We didn't have any supplies or anything, I managed to sneak back in the following night and grab us a few blankets and a small knife. KiBum didn't even have any shoes, so I gave him mine…they were kind of big on him but they worked. It took us a couple weeks to make it to Yonan, which was where we spent the next three years until they found out about us and we had to run."

 

"Tough kid," JungMin said, lips quirking a little. "Not many would have survived what you two went through. Thank you for sharing that with me... I know it was hard."

 

"…It was a little easier than I thought it would be," HyungJoon said quietly. "Thanks I guess…for listening."

 

"Despite what some people around here think, I'm a good listener," JungMin said, putting an arm around HyungJoon's shoulders. "You need to talk, just say so, okay? You're not alone anymore."

 

HyungJoon looked up at JungMIn, shoulders slowly relaxing. "I think I'm starting to get that," he said, looking away. He didn't shrug off the contact, instead leaning back into it just a little. "It's just…a hard transition to make."

 

"Well, that I can understand," JungMin nodded. "Took me a long time to trust Saeng, but he was really patient with me. I'm gonna try some of that patience with you. See how that goes."

 

The younger man's lips quirked slightly. "So you weren't always so friendly with each other, joking about sleeping together?"

 

"Oh no, definitely not," JungMin replied. "I never joke about that."

 

"…You were going on about having something special with him just a week ago," HyungJoon eyed JungMin.

 

"A lot can happen in a week," JungMin said, looking down at him. "He got himself a boyfriend, I moved on."

 

"You still can't say you never joked about that," HyungJoon's lips twitched slightly like he was trying not to smile…something that had been happening more and more often.

 

"I can say whatever I want to say, that's the great thing about me," JungMin said, chuckling a little.

 

"You're going to get yourself into trouble one day," HyungJoon shook his head. "We should look for more wood, before it gets too dark."

 

"If you insist," JungMin sighed. "I was enjoying myself here, talking to you. Now you gotta make me work."

 

"I told you why I was coming up here, you're the one who decided to follow me," HyungJoon tilted his head slightly to look back at JungMin, a little amused.

 

"I followed you cause I was bored and was hoping to talk to you away from the others," JungMin replied. "And maybe I just wanted to get you alone."

 

"To get me to spill my whole life story to you?" HyungJoon raised an eyebrow.

 

"No," JungMin murmured, leaning in a little to brush his lips over HyungJoon's. "For that."

 

"…Oh," HyungJoon voiced at the soft kiss, unsure how to respond even as the tips of his ears turned red. "Okay." He tilted his head to give JungMin a small kiss back.

 

Lips quirking, JungMin lifted a hand to run through HyungJoon's hair. "Guess we should get looking for some fire fuel hm? Don't want us to freeze tonight, or we may need to share bedrolls to help stay warm."

 

JungMin's fingers in his hair felt weird, but not an unwelcome weird. "Now you want to move," he murmured. "You are so confusing, you know that?"

 

JungMin laughed, leaning in to kiss HyungJoon again. "I'm more than happy to stay right here and continue if you want," he said softly. "I'm fine either way."

 

"…" HyungJoon tried to think about that but the kiss was distracting. "One minute, then we go get firewood," he replied, not really sure which side he was making the compromise for. In that moment he was more interested in returning the kiss.

 

"Sounds good to me," JungMin said, shifting enough so neither of them would have to strain their necks as his arm dropped to HyungJoon's waist and he deepened the kiss a little.

 

HyungJoon had no real clue what he was doing, but he followed JungMin's lead, eyes closing. One arm wrapping around JungMin's neck loosely, his fingers found strands of hair and curled into them.

 

By the time they had to break the kiss to breathe, he had gotten the hang of it, breathing a little unevenly. "…I think I could get used to that," he murmured.

 

"Good, cause I think I like kissing you," JungMin said, smiling at him before pulling away a little more. "We should go though, before Saeng comes looking for us," he said as he slowly got back up to his feet, holding out his hands to help HyungJoon up. "The offer about sharing my bedroll is open though."

 

Taking JungMin's hands, HyungJoon stood up. "I…not…not right now," he said, looking away. "I need to get used to this first."

 

"Hey," JungMin tugged on HyungJoon's hand to get him to turn back to him. "No hurry. Just know it's there if you need it."

 

Looking back at JungMin and into his eyes, HyungJoon nodded. "…Thanks," he said, squeezing JungMin's hand lightly before letting go, his fingers sliding out of the older man's as he started to walk down the hallway. A small smile tugged at his lips unbidden.

 

The rest of the day passed uneventfully, which was something they all needed. JungMin and HyungJoon spent their time gathering what meager supplies they could find in the abandoned apartment building, far enough away from where JongWoon was being watched over by RyeoWook. No one saw hide nor hair of Kevin and KiBum, the two keeping themselves locked away in a room. Whether it was just to be alone or not no one was sure except for those two. KiBum still wasn't sure of what to make of what was going on, coming to terms with the imminent death of one of their own.

 

By the time Zhou Mi and KyuHyun returned to the building the next morning, KyuJong was still out cold. YoungSaeng had given him the medicine Zhou Mi had left, just enough so the man could sleep without pain. There was a sense of relief within the group when Zhou Mi had returned, telling YoungSaeng he had found what he needed to help KyuJong.

 

"It could be several hours before I'm done," Zhou Mi had informed YoungSaeng before disappearing in a quiet room to work. No one wanted to interrupt him to see how it was going, though JungMin could tell by the way YoungSaeng kept glancing at the closed door.

 

They were rewarded for their patience, when Zhou Mi finally emerged from the room with a syringe. No one expected a miraculous recovery when he administered the medicine, but at least a couple of them hoped. Luckily, they didn't have to wait long, KyuJong's steady breathing changing as he woke up, sighing softly and his eyes opening.

 

"He's still going to be in some pain," Zhou Mi said to YoungSaeng, the two at KyuJong's bedside. "Kevin's tea will help in the next few days until he's strong enough to move again. I'm afraid the sores will remain, but they won't hurt him like they did, and they won't spread anymore."

 

A wide smile of pure relief had spread on YoungSaeng's face when KyuJong's breathing changed and the younger man woke up, this time without the ragged breathing and pained noises that had been the norm since they arrived in Seoul. "Thank you, Zhou Mi…" he whispered, smoothing out the blankets as he looked down at his boyfriend. "Thank you… I'll never be able to thank you enough for what you've done. If there is anything I can do for you…don't hesitate to ask."

 

"Maybe we can talk about that later," Zhou Mi said, getting back to his feet. "He's going to be very weak still, so don't try to do too much. And don't be surprised if he falls asleep on you again."

 

YoungSaeng nodded in understanding. His eyes went around the room, landing on KyuHyun who was standing off to one side. "KyuHyun, can you find Kevin and get him to make another batch of tea for later?"

 

"Aye," KyuHyun nodded, pushing away from the wall and heading out.

 

Looking back down at KyuJong, YoungSaeng smiled and covered the younger man's hand with his own. "Hey, Kyu yah…"

 

"... Hey," KyuJong murmured softly, eyes opening and closing very slowly. "What.... what's going on?"

 

"We made it to Seoul," YoungSaeng replied, speaking gently. "Zhou Mi gave you medicine to delay the virus…you're going to be resting for a while, but you'll be all right."

 

"... Seoul huh... I miss anything?" KyuJong asked, finally opening his eyes to look at YoungSaeng, though he was a little cross-eyed.

 

YoungSaeng's smile widened, and he lifted his free hand to brush KyuJong's hair out of his face. "You missed some interesting stuff…but nothing that we can't talk about later," he murmured. "How're you feeling?"

 

"Not as bad... still hurts though," KyuJong said, taking a deep breath. "So what happens now?"

 

"Now, we camp out here while you rest." YoungSaeng leaned in, pressing a soft kiss to KyuJong's lips. "Kevin will be here with some tea for the pain soon…you should sleep if you're tired."

 

"I don't want to," KyuJong pouted. "I want to stay awake and talk to you. I feel like I'm missing everything."

 

"You won't be missing everything for much longer," the older man looked down at him with a relieved smile, fingers cupping KyuJong's cheek. "You have no idea how glad I am to see you awake, Kyu yah."

 

"Well... hopefully I can stay awake longer now," KyuJong said, his hand finding YoungSaeng's and holding it loosely.

 

"Don't push yourself," YoungSaeng whispered, kissing the back of KyuJong's hand softly. "You're going to be okay…we'll have all the time in the world to be awake together."

 

"I'll look forward to it," KyuJong smiled, his eyes closing again. "Thank Zhou Mi for me... good timing on picking him up."

 

"Someone's looking out for you, that's for sure," YoungSaeng chuckled. Running his thumb over the back of KyuJong's hand, he cleared his throat a little before starting to sing softly. He couldn't do much against the pain, but he could at least offer comfort, even if that comfort was just a lullaby.

 

KyuJong's lips quirked at that, squeezing YoungSaeng's hands a little before his breathing evened out again and he had drifted back into sleep.

 

Smiling down at KyuJong, YoungSaeng sang until the end of the lullaby, trailing off into silence. He didn't let go of KyuJong's hand though, using his free hand to wipe away the tears of relief that had fallen after KyuJong was asleep. KyuJong was going to be okay.

 

It was a while before someone showed up at the door, Kevin stepping into the room. "Boss?" he said quietly. "I have some tea ready for him."

 

"Thank you, Kevin," YoungSaeng opened his eyes and looked towards their youngest. "He's sleeping now, but he'll take it once he wakes up" Kevin stepped forward to give him the tea, YoungSaeng placing it down out of the way.

 

"You should rest soon, boss," Kevin spoke; YoungSaeng looked tired.

 

"I will in a bit, thank you." YoungSaeng watched Kevin leave the room before looking back down at KyuJong.

 

Not even a minute later, there was another tap on the door, JungMin poking his head in. "Hey, boss? I heard he was doing better."

 

YoungSaeng looked up at JungMin with a small smile. "Yeah. You missed it, he was awake and talking a while ago…he's sleeping now." He smoothed out the blankets before leaning back against the wall. "How's everyone else?"

 

"Surviving as best they can," JungMin shrugged. "How are you holding up?"

 

"I'm fine," YoungSaeng said dismissively. "How's our supplies? I need to look over them in the morning…they have to be low by now."

 

"KyuHyun and Zhou Mi brought back a little bit of stuff, we'll send someone else out later on," JungMin said. "You need some sleep Saeng."

 

YoungSaeng looked back at KyuJong. "I'll sleep in a bit," he said quietly. "I just want to keep an eye on him for now, in case he relapses."

 

"Other people can watch him Saeng, I don't think he'd like it if he knew you weren't sleeping," JungMin said.

 

"I take cat naps. Maybe it's more for my piece of mind, Min ah. I couldn't do anything when the others died, but now I can, even if it's just keep an eye on him just in case. I'd never forgive myself if I left and something happened."

 

JungMin sighed, running a hand through his hair. "Well... I don't blame you at all for that, but I'm still allowed to tell you when I think you need to sleep, sir," JungMin said. "I worry about you too you know."

 

YoungSaeng smiled tiredly. "I know you do. And I appreciate it. Come sit, keep me company. You know you don't have to call me sir, I haven't insisted on that in… I don't remember, a while."

 

"Well, and actually meant it," JungMin snorted, sitting down. "We haven't really sat down and talked in a while, have we."

 

"No, I miss our little chats. I admit, I've been a little distracted lately. Though I haven't been the only one," YoungSaeng raised an eyebrow pointedly at the younger man.

 

"I don't know what you're trying to imply," JungMin sniffed.

 

"Yes you do," YoungSaeng's lips quirked in amusement. "You might not answer me, but you know exactly what I'm talking about."

 

JungMin sighed, leaning back against the wall. "Remember when things were simple for us? Get some stuff, do some trading. I'd argue with KyuHyun. We had it good."

 

"We did have it good," YoungSaeng agreed, closing his eyes. "It might not have been the same as before the plague, but we had a pretty good life for ourselves. The most we had to worry about was the occasional bandit or you tying KyuHyun to a tree."

 

"Yeah... do you miss it though?" JungMin asked, glancing at him. "I don't know if I do."

 

"I miss not being worried for the life of my crew every few hours," YoungSaeng chuckled softly. "But no…I don't miss it that much. We've met some pretty good people, I wouldn't trade any of that."

 

"Yeah... even if we've had some bad experiences, I'm okay with everything's that happened," JungMin said. "Well... not everything, I'd rather KyuJong not have the virus go rampant on him, but you know what I mean."

 

"I know what you mean," YoungSaeng nodded, opening his eyes and looking down at KyuJong sleeping beside him. "Would you say you are happy right now, Min ah?"

 

"Even after everything that's happened and all we're going through... yeah, this is the happiest I've been in my life," JungMin nodded, chuckling a little.

 

"That's good, because you especially deserve to be happy," YoungSaeng smiled softly at JungMin. "And if I had told you that two years ago I think you would have suspected I was going to kill you in your sleep or something."

 

"Probably, but... you have this way about you Saeng that people trust you. People who are smart anyway," JungMin said. "I never once thought you would betray me."

 

YoungSaeng chuckled at that. "I just think a little good will can go far…there will always be people to prove me wrong, but I thought that if I were to show my trust in you, you would trust in me one day."

 

"Well... I did," JungMin said. "You were the first person to really give me a chance Saeng... I know some people here think I follow you blindly but you're one of the only people I've ever trusted with my life Saeng. I hope that means as much to you as it does to me."

 

"It means a lot to me." YoungSaeng replied, reaching out and resting his hand on JungMin's shoulder. "Trusting you was the best decision I've ever made. I know no matter what happens, you'll be beside me, and that means a lot."

 

"There's nowhere else I'd rather be right now," JungMin said. "As long as we have that, and we trust each other's judgement, then there's nothing to worry about, right?"

 

"Right," YoungSaeng nodded. He closed his eyes again, resting against the wall. "You, me, and the others…we'll look after each other. You're still not getting away without an explanation sooner or later, by the way, in case you thought you'd changed the subject well enough," he teased.

 

JungMin snorted at that, looking at YoungSaeng with a sly grin. "I'm happy Saeng, just like you are. Not sure how much more of an explanation you need."

 

"That's all I needed, actually," YoungSaeng's lips curled upwards. "Just to know that you're happy. I don't need any details about anything you two have been getting up to whenever you conveniently disappear at the same time."

 

"Well, not as much as you and Kyu were, or so a little bird tells me," JungMin said, nudging him.

 

"I would say I'm sorry about that," YoungSaeng nudged him back. "Except considering how things went downhill the day after, I'm really not."

 

"Yeah, figured you wouldn't be anyway," JungMin said. "Hopefully Zhou Mi's miracle drug will help him huh?"

 

"Yeah," YoungSaeng nodded with a soft sigh. "He was already more coherent waking up than he'd been lately…so I hope so. The mark won't ever fade though."

 

"Guess that was too much to hope for," JungMin said. "At least you'll get some more time with him."

 

"Mhm." YoungSaeng nodded again, forcing his eyes open. "It's more than I could ask for at this point."

 

Watching him, JungMin shook his head. "You're about ready to pass out Saeng. Go take a nap."

 

"…But then who'll watch him?" YoungSaeng ran his fingers gently through KyuJong's hair, careful not to accidentally wake him.

 

"I can watch him," JungMin said. "Or you can get Zhou Mi or Wook to do it. You're not doing this alone Saeng, we're all here for you."

 

YoungSaeng was quiet for a moment before his shoulders slumped. "I know. I just don't want to leave him." He slowly stood up. "You'll wake me up if anything happens?"

 

"Of course," JungMin nodded. "I'm sure it won't be a problem for you to drag your bedroll over here nearby just in case. But focus on trying to sleep before you make yourself sick."

 

"I won't make myself sick," YoungSaeng's lips quirked slightly before he turned to walk to the door. "I'll be back then."

 

While they had been talking, HyungJoon had found a quiet spot to rest away from the others. Opening up one of the windows in a corner room for some fresh air, he settled down and closed his eyes. A large part of him wanted to go find KiBum, see how his brother was doing. But he doubted KiBum wanted his brother around to interrupt his time with Kevin.

 

"HyungJoon?" Careful not to spook the older brother, Zhou Mi had only opened the door of the room a little ways, peeking in to see if he could see where HyungJoon was sitting. "It's Zhou Mi... Can we talk?"

 

Body tensing, HyungJoon opened his eyes and looked towards the door. He'd avoided being anywhere near the doctor since the secret had come out, the fact that Zhou Mi had sought him out making him nervous. "…About?" he asked after a moment, checking to make sure his gun was in his pocket.

 

"Just... to talk," Zhou Mi said, opening the door a little more. "I wanted to see how you were doing. I know once a secret like that gets out it can be difficult."

 

"…I already said I don't have a cure," HyungJoon spoke, eyeing the older man.

 

"And I believe you," Zhou Mi said. "I know you don't have a cure HyungJoon. Despite what some backwards asses say, I know tearing your body apart won't find the answer as to what was done to you. That's not what I'm here about."

 

HyungJoon wasn't sure whether to believe Zhou Mi or not, not looking away from him. "What are you here for then?" he asked, moving his hand away from the pocket with his gun.

 

"I came here because I wanted to share a secret with you," Zhou Mi said, shutting the door behind him. "I think it's important you know that you can trust me and that I don't want any harm to come to you or your brother. Will you let me share a secret with you?"

 

Lips thinning, HyungJoon watched Zhou Mi. "…Sure. I don't see why you would care though, we're not friends and you've known me for a week." And HyungJoon hadn't so much as spoken to the doctor in that time.

 

"I care because I don't want you thinking I'm some bogeyman coming to get you," Zhou Mi said, leaning up against the wall. "I know you're scared, and truly I'm scared too." Taking a deep breath, Zhou Mi slowly ed his shirt, pulling it open to show the deep red sore over his heart, the spidery veins reaching to just below his collar. "I don't have much longer, a few months at most. The medicine only guarantees a couple years at most and I'm running out of time."

 

HyungJoon's eyes landed on the mark of the virus, and he swallowed thickly. It wasn't as advanced as KyuJong's, but that didn't mean anything other than Zhou Mi had gotten the medicine earlier along than the other man had. "Is that why you're in Korea?" he asked after a long pause. "Looking for a cure?"

 

"Yes, that's why I came here," Zhou Mi nodded, rebuttoning his shirt and looking up at HyungJoon. "I was told there was something here that could be used. My mentor... he says he knows of a cure and all I had to do was travel here and bring him back what he needed and he'd help me. I don't know if he's even telling the truth, but it's the only thing that's kept me going."

 

The younger man drew his legs up to his chest, not moving from his spot in the corner. "Were you able to find what he needs?" he asked quietly, not sure why he was even continuing the conversation. But he had always felt guilt towards people dying from the virus.

 

"It took a long time to know what it was I was really looking for," Zhou Mi said. "I wasn't given a very clear description of the plant, because he couldn't remember exactly which one it was. I had gathered a few samples and was bringing them back to him when I was robbed on the side of the road. It wasn't until I was told about the tea Kevin had made that I took a closer look at what he was using. Kevin uses the flower to make the tea because it has a numbing agent in the nectar. But the seeds are what hold the cure. Mixed with the right things, and everyone, including KyuJong and myself can be cured."

 

Blinking repeatedly in surprise, HyungJoon sat up a little straighter. "…You really think so?" he asked. "So…if you bring those flowers back to China, you'll be able to come up with a real cure?"

 

"If what he says is true, yes," Zhou Mi nodded. "I choose to believe he was telling the truth. Otherwise I would have killed myself by now. All I want to do is help people HyungJoon. I don't want to put anyone in danger, and I don't want to sacrifice anyone in the name of the greater good."

 

Frowning, HyungJoon looked at the older man for a long moment before looking away. "…If only the rest of the world was like you," he said. "Why are you telling me all this, though? Why not YoungSaeng, or KyuHyun? Because I'm already cured so I won't steal your hard work and kill you off?"

 

Zhou Mi's head tilted to the side. "No, that's not why I'm telling you," he said. "I'm telling you because... I want you to trust me. You've been dealt unimaginable horrors because of your secret, and I just want to help."

 

"…I appreciate you telling me this," HyungJoon said after a moment. "But trust just doesn't come easy for me." He sighed. "But…you should talk to YoungSaeng about escorting you to China or something. Before you get robbed again."

 

"I was considering it," Zhou Mi said. "I understand if you don't trust me, I wouldn't in your position either. But thank you for letting me talk, and not running away."

 

HyungJoon nodded slightly. "…It helps that you're staying on the other side of the room," he mumbled. "You should sleep…you look half-dead."

 

Zhou Mi winced a little. "Bad choice of wording on your part," he said, pushing away from the wall. "It was nice talking to you HyungJoon."

 

"…Oh, sorry." HyungJoon seemed to realize after the fact what he had said, shoulders hunching a little. He just wasn't good with talking to people. "I didn't mean…yeah. See you."

 

"I know you didn't mean it, it's fine," Zhou Mi chuckled, opening the door and closing it behind him.