Chapter 21

The Road Less Traveled

When the caravan finally stopped for the night, it was with a sense of relief. Seoul was visible in the distance, just a small speck of light on the horizon but it was still comforting. They would reach Seoul before the end of the next day, and with any luck have what was needed to help KyuJong. No one of course mentioned what their plans were to the newcomer of the caravan, and did their best to keep him out of the back of the caravan.

 

Tensions around the camp seemed to be high, though it wasn't just because of the stranger even if it wasn't immediately apparent what was going on. When the chores were done for the night and meal eaten and washed up, JungMin cornered KyuHyun when he was on his own for once.

 

"RyeoWook is driving me batty," he hissed, looking around for any sign of the cook. "Keep him away from me."

 

"What?" KyuHyun blinked at JungMin; he'd been taking care of his bow. "What's he doing to get your tail in a knot? I haven't seen him since this morning." He'd of course noticed RyeoWook had gone to ride with JungMin, but the cook hadn't so much as talked to KyuHyun since.

 

"... Insinuating some things," JungMin said, frowning. "I'm pretty sure he's going to get into my bedroll before I do tonight."

 

"…Are we talking about the same RyeoWook here?" KyuHyun looked at JungMin like he'd grown a second head. "Short guy, kind of a stick, definitely does not go around trying to sleep with everyone?"

 

"I'm not sure what you're trying to say with that, I'm not just anyone," JungMin grumbled. "But yes, the same RyeoWook. Now, normally I wouldn't care, but the last I checked, he wasn't interested in me. So I don't know what's going on or what you did, but make it stop."

 

"I didn't…do anything." KyuHyun was frowning though. "Okay, I'll talk to him. If he does try to get in your bedroll, don't touch him."

 

"Look, he's an adult and can do what he wants, I'm not going to say no if he wants to," JungMin said. "But you and I both know this isn't like him, and frankly I'm not sure I like being thought of as a cheap piece of meat. Today anyway."

 

"Well we know he didn't pick you because you're selective," KyuHyun sniffed, eyeing JungMin. "I mean it. Don't even think about touching him," he said lowly.

 

JungMin's express became curious, and he tilted his head slightly. "Oh? And why not? He's not yours, far as i know. I heard you and the doc were getting pretty cozy over KyuJong's sick bed."

 

"Just because he decides to flirt with me doesn't mean I'm interested," KyuHyun replied tersely. "All right, let me make myself clear. I don't trust you, not after that thieving stunt, and if you do anything to RyeoWook I'll make you regret it."

 

JungMin's eyes narrowed and he leaned in a little closer. "Then you better make sure he doesn't do something stupid," he said. "Before you do."

 

"And you better keep your pants up before you lose something important." KyuHyun shoved past JungMin to head back to the caravan.

 

A figure stepped out from between two trees. "…What was that about?" HyungJoon asked.

 

"Just a bit of jealousy," JungMin shrugged, glancing over at HyungJoon. "What are you doing skulking around in the trees?"

 

"I always skulk around in the trees," HyungJoon mumbled, looking towards the campfire where most of the others were. His eyes found JongWoon, talking animately with YoungSaeng who looked thoroughly amused at how much of a chatterbox their newest companion was. "I understand picking up the doctor, for KyuJong, but why him?"

 

"If you haven't learned by now that YoungSaeng has a bleeding heart for every stray puppy we find, then I don't know what to tell you," JungMin said. "We'll keep an eye on him though, much better than that last we picked up."

 

"Wait until tomorrow morning before saying that. If we're not barbecue by then, then you can say he's better." HyungJoon walked slowly towards the group.

 

"…And that's what happens when you try to bring down a rusting water tower without a good plan," JongWoon was concluding his story sheepishly by the time they got back in hearing range. "So they kind of…fired me."

 

"So you're looking for work in Seoul?" YoungSaeng inquired, drawing his legs up to his chest.

 

"Yeah," JongWoon nodded. "It's a big enough place, I might find something. If not, I guess I'll continue on to home."

 

"Where are you from? Near here?"

 

"Oh, uh…a lot more north than this," JongWoon shook his head. "I'm from Yonan."

 

"…Never heard of it," YoungSaeng frowned. Turned away, he hadn't seen HyungJoon approaching, nor did he see the man freeze at their words.

 

"I didn't think you would, but it's a tiny hole in the wall on the other side of that bare strip of land where North and South Korea were divided," JongWoon replied. "North Korea, though I guess it's just northern Korea right now, since there's not really a border anymore." HyungJoon slowly backed away from the fire again, eyes going between the two talking.

 

JungMin on the other hand had been behind HyungJoon, nearly bumping into him when he started to back up. "Something wrong?" he asked, keeping his voice low.

 

"He's…Nothing…nothing's wrong," HyungJoon said, but his face said the exact opposite, eyes wide and fearful. "Nothing at all." He ducked around JungMin to retreat to the cover of the trees again.

 

"... Why do you always run away?" JungMin sighed, following after him. It was hard to see in the dim light, but JungMin manage to catch up with HyungJoon before he was completely lost. "Yah, where are you going?"

 

Stopping, HyungJoon looked back over his shoulder at JungMin. "Not…far, I need to think." In the faint light from the fire back in the clearing he looked lost and overwhelmed, leaning back against the tree and scrubbing his face with his hands.

 

"What's going on?" JungMin frowned. "You look like you've seen a ghost."

 

"That guy…he can't be here," HyungJoon looked up at JungMin through his fingers. "He's really, really bad news, he can't stay with us."

 

"Why? You're going to have to give me a little more to go on," JungMin said, his expression confused. "He seems harmless enough to me."

 

Lowering his hands, HyungJoon shut his eyes for a long moment, fighting with himself. "…One of the compounds KiBum and I tried to stay in was Yonan. They found out about us."

 

"... Okay," JungMin kept his expression carefully neutral at hearing that. Getting upset would make it worse for HyungJoon. "Are you sure he even recognized you though? It didn't seem like he did."

 

"Everyone in that compound knew our names and faces," HyungJoon said, trying to keep his voice level. "I overheard the adults talking about us like insects to be dissected. KiBum and I ran that night. They hunted us in the woods for days, even using some kids around my age, kids I'd tried to be friends with, to lure me out of hiding. Everyone who was able was out there trying to find us and bring us back to that hell."

 

"Okay, I get it, he would know you then," JungMin said, sighing a little as he tried to think. "Joon... we can't just go tell Saeng that we need to ditch the guy, he's going to want a reason. You're going to have to tell him the truth."

 

HyungJoon's eyes widened. "I can't tell him the truth," he hissed, worked up. "You know that. I won't go back to that again JungMin, I can't."

 

"Listen," JungMin stepped forward, taking HyungJoon by the arms and looking into his eyes. "I need you to trust me on this Joon. I can help you, I can keep you safe. But you have to trust me. Please."

 

Stopped from shuffling back and forth, HyungJoon looked back into JungMin's eyes, his own badly hiding fear. "You promised you would help keep our secret," he said. "You can't tell YoungSaeng about us."

 

"And I won't," JungMin said, keeping his voice even and calm. "You need to tell him HyungJoon. If this guy is as bad news as you say he is, then he'll recognize you and it'll all come out anyway and not just to YoungSaeng but everyone else. I don't know how else to protect you HyungJoon, because running away isn't an option anymore."

 

"We should run," HyungJoon looked away. "But KiBum…" He covered his face with his hands, shifting from foot to foot. "We're screwed. No matter how it comes out, it's over."

 

"Hey, nothing is over," JungMin said, watching HyungJoon worriedly. "I'll protect you, I'm not going to let anything happen to you or to KiBum. I promise."

 

"You can't promise that. Don't make promises you can't keep. You think with KyuJong dying in the caravan, YoungSaeng's not going to want a cure right now? KiBum and I don't have a cure, but that hasn't stopped anyone from trying to take us apart." HyungJoon couldn't look up at JungMin. "Joining the caravan was a mistake. I'd rather be hunted by complete strangers than people I actually like."

 

"I may not be able to promise I can keep you safe from strangers but I know YoungSaeng, better than you think," JungMin said. "He isn't about to sacrifice a single person for another. That isn't who he is."

 

"I knew people I thought were like that too," HyungJoon said quietly, lowering his hands from his face. "They proved me wrong."

 

"HyungJoon... what alternative do you have right now?" JungMin asked. "You can't keep doing this on your own, you know you need help."

 

"I've managed on my own this far. Why can't we just make something up to get YoungSaeng to kick him out?"

 

"I can't lie to Saeng anymore," JungMin said, shaking his head. "I've done too much of that in my life and it's got me nowhere."

 

HyungJoon's shoulders slumped, and he pressed one hand against his forehead. "I don't know what to do," he said quietly. "And I can't even talk to KiBum about it cause he'll just run off again. What do I do, JungMin?"

 

JungMin blew out a heavy sigh, resting his arms lightly around HyungJoon's shoulders. "Let me help take some of the burden," he said softly. "I just want to help... it's all I've ever wanted to do."

 

Looking down at the arms around his shoulders, HyungJoon closed his eyes. He didn't fight the contact, just standing there with his arms limp by his sides.

 

After a long pause he opened his eyes again, nodding. "…I'm trusting you."

 

"Thank you, I know it's hard for you to do so I understand," JungMin said. "Let's go get YoungSaeng before he goes to sleep for the night. No one else needs to know about this."

 

Nodding again, HyungJoon's gaze slowly lifted to JungMin's face. "If he turns out to be like the others…will you still keep your promise?"

 

"Absolutely," JungMin nodded, meeting HyungJoon's eyes. "If YoungSaeng isn't the man I think he is, I wouldn't want to stay here to work for him."

 

"Okay…okay," HyungJoon breathed in deeply before stepping back. He turned to head back towards the camp, trying to calm himself down. It didn't really work, but dropping back to walk beside JungMin helped a little.

 

Back at the camp, KyuHyun had gone to find RyeoWook shortly after JungMin and HyungJoon disappeared somewhere. "Hey," he dropped down next to the cook, stretching out his legs. "What're you doing?"

 

"Helping Kevin with making more of the tea," RyeoWook said, hunched over a bowl where he was grinding up herbs. "What are you doing?"

 

"Nothing really, just finished fixing up my bow," KyuHyun replied, watching what the other man was doing. "Tomorrow do you want to practice more with that? While we're still out of the city and have trees to shoot at."

 

"I'll be busy," RyeoWook said, not looking up. "I'm sure you'd rather spend your time doing something less frustrating than trying to teach me something. Why don't you ask Zhou Mi, maybe he'd be better at it than me."

 

KyuHyun frowned. "I'm asking you, not him." His eyes searched RyeoWook's face. "Let's go talk somewhere, Wook."

 

"Why? We can talk right here," RyeoWook said. "I'm busy."

 

"…Hey Kevin," KyuHyun turned to the youngest who was working nearby. "Would you mind taking this off of RyeoWook while we talk somewhere?"

 

"Hm?" Kevin blinked at them in confusion before nodding. "Sure," he held his hands out to take the pestle and mortar.

 

"Fine." Scowling down at his hands, RyeoWook handed the bowl off to Kevin before getting to his feet and stalking off away from the fire.

 

KyuHyun sighed and followed after RyeoWook, arms folded across his chest. "What's going on, Wook? You've been acting really weird lately," he spoke once they were far enough away from the others.

 

"I don't know what you're talking about, I'm acting just fine," RyeoWook said. "Maybe you just forget what Korean sounds like."

 

"Right, this is acting 'fine'." KyuHyun watched the other man's face. "You're pissed at me for something, aren't you? Tell me what I did wrong."

 

"Do you even really care KyuHyun?" RyeoWook asked, hugging his arms. "Or do you just want to know so you can go tell your new best friend how much of an idiot I am in your dumb language."

 

"…Do you really think that's why I'm here?" KyuHyun asked, eyes narrowing slightly. "I'm here because I'm worried about you. Are you jealous, is that what this is?"

 

"Why would I be jealous?" RyeoWook sniffed a little, keeping his head down. "I've no right to be jealous of you and him. I just don't think it's fair you two talk in your secret language and don't talk to me anymore. I get that he's better than me, but it's still not fair."

 

KyuHyun's expression softened a little and he sighed quietly, stepping closer. "Wook, no one's better than you," he said quietly. "No one. I'm sorry if I've been ignoring you…it's just that Mandarin was practically my first language, and I missed speaking in it. It reminds me of traveling with my family before my dad died. I didn't mean to ignore you."

 

"I understand," RyeoWook said, rubbing at his eye. "I think it's good that you get to do that stuff, and Zhou Mi doesn't seem like he's that bad of a guy. He seems good enough for you so I'm happy for you. I am."

 

"Good enough for me?" KyuHyun's brow furrowed. "What do you mean?"

 

"I'm not an idiot KyuHyun, I've heard you two, and seen you if I can't understand what you're saying," RyeoWook said, looking at him with a level look. "You flirt all the time. All I'm saying is I think you two look good together."

 

"…Oh," KyuHyun's lips quivered a little. "So it did make you jealous to hear that? Was that why you ran off with JungMin right after?"

 

"I ran off because it made me sick to my stomach," RyeoWook grumbled pushing at his arm. "I wasn't jealous."

 

"Are you sure? Cause it looked like you were jealous," KyuHyun grinned. "Zhou Mi even said you looked jealous."

 

"Well Zhou Mi isn't as smart as he thinks he is," RyeoWook huffed, looking away. "I'm not jealous, never was jealous, never will be jealous of anyone or anything."

 

"Then it wouldn't mean anything to you if I said I'm not even interested in him," KyuHyun shrugged, looking up at the sky and pursing his lips a little.

 

"Nope, not even a little bit," RyeoWook said. "And I'd call you a liar to boot."

 

"Why would I lie?" KyuHyun raised an eyebrow. "I mean, he's way too tall for my tastes. And his nose would probably poke my eye out while kissing."

 

"I've seen the way you look at him KyuHyun... and he obviously likes you," RyeoWook said. "Just seems natural I guess, you two have so much in common."

 

"A bit too much maybe." Looking down at RyeoWook, KyuHyun rested one hand on the other man's shoulder and tugged him closer. "Look at me. As cool as Mi is, I don't like him that way, that's the truth."

 

"... Maybe you should tell him that then," RyeoWook said, glancing up at him before looking away. "Before he gets too attached."

 

"If I tell him, will you stop being jealous and talk to me again?" KyuHyun stepped back into RyeoWook's view.

 

"Depends on if you talk to me first," RyeoWook said. "I wasn't jealous."

 

"Sure you weren't," KyuHyun grinned. He leaned forward to whisper into RyeoWook's ear. "Why would I be interested in him when I've got you?"

 

RyeoWook scowled, pushing at KyuHyun. "Go whisper that nonsense in his ear, I don't want to hear it. Talk to me when you remember your Korean." Grumbling, he pushed past KyuHyun to head back to the campfire.

 

"I remember my Korean, and my Mandarin too," KyuHyun laughed, catching RyeoWook's arm on his way by. "I can teach you still. Just the two of us."

 

"Wouldn't be the same though would it?" RyeoWook said, looking at him. "I wouldn't be able to talk to you like he can with you. You'd just get frustrated with me like with the bow and arrow stuff."

 

"That's part of the fun," KyuHyun gave him a wry smile. "It'll just take practice, like anything else. You're stuck with me for a while, we've got the time."

 

"I hope so," RyeoWook sighed softly. "Just... don't forget about me okay?"

 

"Hey, how could I forget you?" KyuHyun tugged him back into a one-armed hug. "We're gonna travel the world together. Plus you're the perfect height for an arm-rest."

 

"...You're a jerk," RyeoWook scowled, pushing him away. "Get away from me, jerk, go bother someone else."

 

"But you like it when I bother you," KyuHyun chuckled. "I'm a jerk but you still got all jealous over me so I must be doing something right."

 

"I wasn't jealous!" RyeoWook called over his shoulder, stomping away from him.

 

Grinning from ear to ear, KyuHyun shook his head as he headed back to the caravan, hands jammed in his pockets. He glanced to one side as JungMin and HyungJoon emerged from the trees.

 

HyungJoon's eyes went to the campfire where the others were. YoungSaeng was talking with JongWoon still, making the older brother stop nervously. "Could you get him?"

 

"Yeah, just stay here," JungMin nodded, touching HyungJoon's arm gently as he moved towards the fire. He glanced at KyuHyun out of the corner of his eye briefly before moving to YoungSaeng's side. "Hey," he said, interrupting the conversation they were having as he crouched down behind YoungSaeng. "I need to show you something, got a minute?"

 

YoungSaeng looked up at JungMin, confused. He still nodded though. "Sure, what is it?" he asked, standing up.

 

"Just... something I'm a little concerned about," JungMin said, leading him away from the fire towards where HyungJoon was hiding in the trees. "Actually, HyungJoon's the one who needs to show you."

 

"HyungJoon?" YoungSaeng frowned as they approached. "Is everything all right?"

 

HyungJoon's eyes went between YoungSaeng and JungMin nervously before he nodded back towards the trees. "Can we…? I don't want anyone overhearing."

 

"…Sure," YoungSaeng glanced at JungMin in worry before following them farther into the trees.

 

Stopping, HyungJoon turned around to look at them again. "There's…something KiBum and I have been keeping from everyone," he said slowly, picking and choosing his words with care. "It's a secret we've kept our whole lives, because anyone who's found out has tried to hurt us." He looked at JungMin again before inhaling deeply and pulling the edge of his shirt up.

 

Confused, YoungSaeng's eyes widened when he saw the smooth, unblemished skin over HyungJoon's heart. "You…You don't have the mark," he whispered, shocked.

 

Nodding, HyungJoon lowered his shirt, gaze averted and shoulders stiff. "Neither does KiBum. We haven't had it since we were kids," he stuttered over the words.

 

"But…how?" YoungSaeng asked, not sure how to process that. "You were cured? HyungJoon, is there a cure available right now?"

 

"No…that's…there's no cure," HyungJoon was getting nervous, looking from YoungSaeng to JungMin again and stepping back away from the caravan leader. "I don't know of one."

 

JungMin put a supportive hand on HyungJoon's shoulder, looking at YoungSaeng with a frown. "That's not all there is Saeng, you need to listen to the rest of what he has to say. Keep going Joon, it'll be okay."

 

Glancing at the hand on his shoulder, HyungJoon closed his eyes for a moment before opening them and continuing. "Neither of us have a cure…our father was a scientist, I think he must have cured us," he said quietly. "He died in a fire over a decade ago. I'm telling you this because KiBum and I spent the first few years we were alone trying to find a compound to live in, but whenever someone found out about our secret, they…they thought we had the cure, and were willing to do anything to get it, even kill us. One of the worst compounds was Yonan…where that JongWoon person is from."

 

He looked up at YoungSaeng, who was watching him with a frown. "Everyone from that compound knew our faces and names, I don't know if he recognizes us yet or not but… it's dangerous for me and KiBum with him here."

 

YoungSaeng looked between HyungJoon and JungMin. "You knew about this, JungMin?"

 

"Yes, I did," JungMin nodded. "I promised HyungJoon I would protect him and KiBum, and that meant keeping their secret."

 

"…That's quite the secret," YoungSaeng said slowly. "And you're sure you have no idea about the cure?"

 

HyungJoon nodded, looking away and folding his arms across his chest. "If I had a cure, KiBum and I wouldn't be in this mess… What I remember of my father and what he did to us is hazy, it's painful to think about. I don't know when our marks faded away, but it must have been in the weeks since we escaped. We don't know what exactly he did to us, but it's never stopped people from trying to cut us open to find out."

 

"And you're sure JongWoon will recognize you," YoungSaeng asked. When HyungJoon nodded he exhaled slowly, looking over his shoulder towards the camp. "What do you suggest I do?"

 

"We need to get rid of him," JungMin said. "We can't hide KiBum and HyungJoon, not when he's already seen them. But if we just let him go, then who knows who he'll tell that he's seen the two boys who were cured. Could have the whole damn country after us then."

 

"…When you say get rid, you mean kill him," YoungSaeng's eyes narrowed. "You know that's not what we do, he's done nothing to us. We're not killing an innocent man. There's no guarantee he even recognizes them."

 

"And you're willing to take the chance if he does?" JungMin said. "It may not be how we do things here boss, but I won't put the safety of everyone here at risk for that. I'll follow you wherever we may go Saeng and listen to you, but doesn't mean I agree with it."

 

YoungSaeng folded his arms over his chest. "If we start killing innocent people based on suspicion alone, we're no better than those boxed-in compounds we hate so much, and we're no better than bandits. Unless he comes after one of us with a knife, he has done nothing to deserve being killed in cold blood."

 

His eyes went to HyungJoon, who was standing stiffly next to JungMin with his eyes on the ground. "Joon," he said quietly, and the younger man looked up at him from under his bangs. "Thank you for trusting me with your secret. I believe you when you say if you had a cure, you wouldn't hide it from us. You and KiBum are part of this caravan, and I won't let anything happen to you, understand?"

 

"…I understand," HyungJoon replied, the weight slowly leaving his shoulders.

 

"Now that I know, we can do something about him. Not kill him," YoungSaeng eyed JungMin. "In the morning we'll go our own way, he was technically hitching a free ride anyways. His survival skills seem to be only minimally better than Kevin's, so I'm hesitant to send him out in the middle of the night."

 

"Let's just hope he doesn't just tail after us then," JungMin said. "I'd rather know where he is so we can keep him away from HyungJoon and KiBum. He knows where we're going and is heading there himself."

 

"Seoul is a big place, once we get into the city it'll be easy to lose him," YoungSaeng sighed softly. "Unless you'd rather just keep him with us until we reach it, but that also gives him more time around the brothers."

 

"But at least we'd know where he was," JungMin said. "Maybe we could just hogtie him and put him out in the middle of the road when we leave. Enough that he can get loose but it'll take a bit of time."

 

"…Oh fine," YoungSaeng shook his head. "As long as we're not killing him, it's up to you to keep him still long enough to be tied up." He looked between them. "Anything else I should be aware of while we're out here?"

 

"No," HyungJoon shook his head, looking down.

 

"Okay, I'm heading back," YoungSaeng said, turning around. "JungMin, you and I will take night shift to keep an eye on him."

 

"Yes boss," JungMin said, watching him go before looking to HyungJoon. "I'm not going to tell you how to handle this Joon, but maybe you should wait until after we're rid of the guy before we tell your brother what's going on."

 

"…Yeah," HyungJoon nodded, looking down. He didn't know how KiBum would react anymore, it was safer to keep him uninvolved. "Thanks…for helping out."

 

"Told you I would," JungMin said, touching HyungJoon's arm to get him to look up. "It'll be okay Joon, I'll make sure of it."

 

HyungJoon's gaze lifted to JungMin's. The corner of his mouth twitched before his lips formed a small smile. "I probably shouldn't, but I believe you."

 

"Well I guess I'll take what I can get then," JungMin chuckled, stepping a little closer. "And I want you to know, that I'm... that I really do want to help you, no matter what it takes."

 

"Why?" HyungJoon asked. "Why do you want to help so much? I've never been friendly to you, or nice. In fact I remember doing everything I could to get you to leave me alone. So…why?"

 

"...Maybe because I saw how lonely you really were," JungMin said, shrugging a little. "Just like me."

 

Looking up into JungMin's eyes, HyungJoon looked away after a moment. "I'm not very…good, at this friend thing. But if you're fine with that...I think we can be friends."

 

"Joon... I don't think I can settle for just being friends," JungMin said, lifting a hand to hesitantly touch HyungJoon's chin to draw his attention back around. "It's not what I want."

 

Gaze lifting again, HyungJoon's brow furrowed slightly. "…I thought you were just joking," he spoke quietly, looking from JungMin's lips to his eyes. "You're always at it with YoungSaeng, and well…I heard RyeoWook earlier."

 

JungMin chuckled a little at that. "Saeng and I have an understanding, I just like to make him roll his eyes," he said. "Wook... I think he's going through something none of us really know about and I always joke around HyungJoon, but I did mean it."

 

"So…what exactly do you want, then?" HyungJoon asked, fingers curling around the hand under his chin. "Just so we're on the same page."

 

"I want to be able to kiss you, without worrying if I'm going to get a punch in the face," JungMin said, watching him.

 

HyungJoon swallowed, looking away for a moment. "…I don't feel like punching you right now," he murmured, looking back at JungMin. "I'm probably a crappy kisser though." He lowered JungMin's hand from his chin and hesitantly leaned in for a soft kiss.

 

JungMin didn't reply right away, letting his eyes slip closed at the light kiss. He didn't let it last long, pulling back after a moment to look at HyungJoon, wary of any kind of reaction. "Not bad at all," he said softly, smiling a little.

 

Looking back up at him until red started to appear in his cheeks, HyungJoon averted his eyes and cleared his throat. "…Maybe we should head back."

 

"So soon?" JungMin pouted a little, a hand going to HyungJoon's hip. "I thought we were just getting started here."

 

"I don't want to leave KiBum alone with that man any longer than he already has been," HyungJoon said, looking down at the hand on his hip awkwardly like he wasn't sure what he was supposed to do, placing his hand on JungMin's arm after a moment.

 

"I think he can take care of himself," JungMin said, perking a brow. "And there's too many people around for that guy to even try anything. Whether anyone knows what's going or not, they're not going to let him touch KiBum."

 

"Are you sure about that?" HyungJoon's brow furrowed as he looked up at JungMin's face. "I should be there to protect him."

 

"YoungSaeng's there, let him worry about KiBum for half an hour," JungMin said. "Just... let yourself relax for once. Please?"

 

The younger man's shoulders slowly slumped after a moment. "…I don't know if I know how to relax, JungMin."

 

"Will you let me try to show you?" JungMin asked, smiling a little. "I think you deserve to relax, if just for a moment."

 

"…Okay," HyungJoon nodded, looking up at JungMin's smile. "Just for a moment."

 

"Just close your eyes," JungMin whispered, putting his other arm around HyungJoon's waist and pulling him a little closer. "Just relax, and focus on this.." he leaned in to kiss HyungJoon again, just as soft as before.

 

Eyes slowly closing, HyungJoon leaned into the kiss and returned it, awkward and inexperienced. His arms lifted after a moment to place his hands on JungMin's shoulder, before sliding his arms loosely around the older man's neck.

 

As much as JungMin wanted more, he held himself back from pushing HyungJoon too far, moving his mouth lazily against HyungJoon's. When he finally pulled away so they both could breathe, his thumbs brushed along HyungJoon's waist. "Is this okay?" he asked.

 

HyungJoon's eyes remained closed even when the kiss ended, face a little flushed. "Yeah," he breathed, shivering at the thumbs against his skin. It was starting to get cold away from the fire, but JungMin's body was warm. "That was…nice."

 

"Better than nice I'd say," JungMin said. "Let's get back before we freeze. And... if you ever feel you need to relax again, just let me know."

 

Opening his eyes slowly, HyungJoon nodded, looking into JungMin's eyes. "Okay." He looked conflicted for a moment, looking down. "…Is it okay if I just…" He rested his forehead against JungMin's shoulder, just wrapping his arms around JungMin's waist and standing there.

 

JungMin blinked a little at the sudden hug, not expecting it in the least. He put his arms around HyungJoon's shoulders and held him loosely. "It's okay," he said. "Any time."

 

HyungJoon pulled back after a moment, arms dropping to his sides. "Okay…let's go." He seemed at a loss for words, just turning around to head back towards the distant campfire, walking slowly to not leave JungMin behind.