Chapter Two

The Road Less Traveled

As KyuJong had said, the town was abandoned. Almost. They were through to the third row of houses when Kevin heard something a street over, the sound of metal ringing. "What's that?"

“... Not sure, probably the wind catching something,” KyuJong said, motioning for Kevin to stay close. “If I tell you to run though, just go, and don't look back.”

"Okay…" Kevin tried not to walk so close he'd get in KyuJong's way, looking in the direction of the noise nervously.

He was so focused on the noise that when they hit the next intersection, he didn't even notice the group of bandits coming from the other direction.

KyuJong did notice though, pushing Kevin roughly towards the tree line. “Run!”

Staggering, Kevin didn't need to be told twice, bolting for the trees. Shouts went up behind them; they'd been spotted. Some of the bandits were on horseback, hooves echoing against concrete.

Ignoring KyuJong's order to not look back, Kevin couldn't help but look over his shoulder. One bandit had his gun out already, but it wasn't Kevin he was aiming for. "Look out!"

At the first gunshot, KyuJong winced, turning to return fire. The raider who had been aiming at them toppled off his horse to hit the ground. More gunshots went off over their heads, though it was coming from the tree line and not from the raiders.

Flinching at the gunfire, Kevin turned around quickly when he realized it was coming from two directions. Were they surrounded?

Another group was coming out of the treeline, but they didn't look like bandits. Some men were on horses, others on foot. Farther back in the trees, Kevin could see the shadow of something much larger.

"Get down!" One of the men lifted a gun, pointing in Kevin's direction. Kevin hit the ground just before the man fired, hitting one of the bandits about to put a round through Kevin's head.

Gunfire continued to ring out before the sound of the bandits horses retreated. Heart pounding, Kevin looked up to see a good amount of the bandits on the ground, the others escaping as they were out-gunned by the new arrivals.

KyuJong had got in a couple of shots himself, rounding on the new arrivals when the attackers had retreated. Just because they saved their lives didn't mean they weren't bandits too. “Kevin, on your feet.”

“Alright, no need to get excited you two,” one of the new arrivals said, two pistols pointed at them. “We did just save your life.”

"And how far do you really think you're going to get dripping blood all over the place," drawled one of the men on foot. Looking between them quickly, Kevin noticed that this one had a bow in his hand rather than a gun like the others. Then he registered what was said, standing and looking back at KyuJong with wide eyes. KyuJong's arm was bright red.

"Shut up KyuHyun," the man who'd told Kevin to get down said in a quiet voice, gun lowered. "Drop the gun, and we'll take care of that arm. Don't be stupid."

“It's not stupid to be wary of people out here,” KyuJong said, trying to count how many there were. Unfortunately there were too many trees in the way.

“We've got you outnumbered friend, and we're not looking to do anything but help.” Someone said, KyuJong couldn't even see where the voice was coming from.

It was a tense moment before KyuJong finally lowered his gun, sagging forward a little. The shock was starting to wear off and his arm was throbbing. “We'll just be on our way, those bandits may be back.”

"Eventually, but they're a bunch of cowards. Patient for you, RyeoWook," the man who seemed to be in charge tossed over his shoulder. "KyuHyun, see if our bandit friends left us anything useful."

The man with the bow and a quiver of arrows on his back strolled out from under the cover of trees to check the dead bodies. "Got a first-aid kit back there," he glanced at KyuJong and nodded back to where a horse-drawn caravan was emerging from the trees. Kevin looked from the group to KyuJong, not sure what to do.

“There's no need, I can take care of this myself,” KyuJong said, keeping a watchful eye on them all.

A shorter man hopped down from the caravan, shaking his head. “Nonsense, we've got plenty of supplies and I bet you'll need stitches. Come on,” he waved them over as he headed towards the back of the wagon.

“...Okay, but then we'll be gone right after this,” KyuJong said, keeping Kevin nearby as he followed the one called RyeoWook.

"Suit yourself," the leader of the group shrugged and turned back to one of the men remaining. "Min, we need a clear path through town. Take HyungJoon with you."

“Sure thing boss,” the one with the pistols said, holstering them. “Let's go Joon, keep up.” Climbing onto a horse, the man started toward the town.

He was followed by an unhappy looking man, nudging his own horse into a trot to catch up. Kevin followed KyuJong and RyeoWook towards the back of the wagon, looking up at it curiously. He'd seen similar ones stop by the village every now and then, sometimes by tradesmen, other times by merchants.

"Who are you guys?" he asked, unable to keep his curiosity in check.

“Well, I'm RyeoWook, the two with the guns are JungMin and HyungJoon, the snarky one is KyuHyun and KiBum is around here somewhere,” RyeoWook said, drawing back the canvas draws. “Boss man is YoungSaeng, this is his wagon, we just work for him. So who are you?”

Kevin had trouble keeping up with the names, nodding. "Uh…I'm Kevin, from Jangjeon, and this is KyuJong. We're heading towards Seoul." He looked at KyuJong's arm, brow furrowed worriedly. "That looks really bad."

KyuJong frowned at Kevin, not happy with these people knowing his name or anything about what they were doing. “It's fine. Not the first time I've been shot.”

“It's not fine, you're kind of bleeding all over the place,” RyeoWook said, patting a blanket covered seat inside the caravan. KyuJong sat down, looking at his arm. His whole sleeve was soaked through. RyeoWook used a knife to cut the sleeve off his shirt off above the wound, making a face at the wound. “That's pretty deep. Kevin right? Can you find KyuHyun and ask him to bring me a bottle of alcohol?”

"Uh, sure," Kevin nodded quickly. He turned to duck back around the side of the caravan, heading towards where the man with the bow was searching through the bandits' pockets.

Stepping around a tree, someone suddenly appeared right beside him. Kevin shouted in surprise, staggering backwards and tripping over a tree root.

The newcomer stumbled a little, but managed to stay standing. “Hey... are you okay? I'm sorry if I scared you,” he said, holding out his hand. “I'm KiBum, are you one of the people who were being chased by the bandits?”

Blinking repeatedly at the stranger, Kevin nodded sheepishly. "Yeah. I'm Kevin." He took the offered hand, standing again. "It's okay, I should have been paying more attention. Didn't see you standing there."

“Sorry... I was supposed to stay hidden but I got curious,” KiBum said. “Where are you going? Is your friend okay?”

"He's…bleeding badly, I need to get some alcohol from that guy." Kevin pointed at KyuHyun, hurrying to get clear of the trees.

KyuHyun was showing his findings to YoungSaeng. "Weapons, some jewelry, a deck of cards. Clothes are too ratty to even bother with."

"Good enough," YoungSaeng nodded, picking up the bag KyuHyun had filled.

"Uh…KyuHyun?" Kevin tried when he got close enough. The man glanced back at him. "RyeoWook's asking for a bottle of alcohol."

"Oh fine," KyuHyun sighed, standing and heading back to the caravan.

"Are you allowed to be out here?" YoungSaeng was asking KiBum. "I'd rather not deal with your brother."

“If Joon has a problem, then he can yell at me again,” KiBum said. “I'm not a child, and I wish he wouldn't treat me like one.”

"Good luck with that," YoungSaeng slung the bag over his shoulder and headed back towards the caravan after KyuHyun. "We leave when he and JungMin get back."

"Where are you guys going?" Kevin asked KiBum, relieved that at least someone didn't seem to mind conversation.

“Not sure really,” KiBum said, frowning a little. “I think we're going to a compound near Jincheon, but they don't tell me anything. Where were you going?”

"Somewhere south of Seoul," Kevin shrugged. "My compound was destroyed by bandits, so KyuJong offered to let me tag along to this other place that takes in people."

“Oh... I'm sorry,” KiBum's shoulders slumped a little, not sure what to say to that. He perked up a little though. “Hey, maybe you could stay with us? I'm sure YoungSaeng could use you somewhere.”

"…Stay with you?" Kevin blinked, surprised at the offer. "What do you guys even do? Seems you've got a lot of people here."

“We're... protection? I guess you could say that,” KiBum said. “We merchants to compounds or settlers. YoungSaeng trains everyone, this was his grandfather's caravan before the plague hit. They were acrobats or something.”

"Oh," Kevin took that in. He didn't really have anywhere to go, and KiBum and RyeoWook at least seemed friendly. "…You think he'd want to hire me? I'm kind of new to this whole traveling thing…never left the compound before a few days ago."

“It's really fun,” KiBum said, grinning at him. “You get to see the whole country and meet all kinds of people. I mean, if you don't have anywhere to go, YoungSaeng will help. He's that kind of person.”

"…Okay," Kevin returned KiBum's smile after a moment. "I'll ask him." KyuJong would probably be glad not to have to travel with him anymore. Reminded, he glanced towards the back of the wagon, brow furrowed in concern. "I hope KyuJong hyung's okay…"

“RyeoWook's good at what he does,” KiBum said. “But we can go see...?” He was cut off by loud cursing coming from the direction of the caravan. “Or... we can stay here.”

Kevin's eyes widened. "That really didn't sound good." He hurried in the direction of the noise.

KyuHyun was leaning against a tree, well out of the way. "I'd stay back if I were you," he snorted when he saw Kevin leaning around the side of the wagon in worry.

"KyuHyun, I need your help please!” RyeoWook called from inside the wagon. “I need you to hold him down!”

“Wow, it must be really bad,” KiBum said, coming up behind Kevin. “You want something to eat or anything? This might take a while.”

"Why's it so bad?" Kevin looked alarmed.

"Cause we don't have much to dull the pain," KyuHyun answered, climbing into the back of the wagon. "Yah, if you punch me RyeoWook'll break out the larger needles."

Kevin watched where he'd gone with wide eyes before exhaling and giving KiBum a tense smile. "Uh…sure. Could we get something for KyuJong when he's all stitched up too?"

“Of course, there's plenty of food,” KiBum said. “Let's go find where YoungSaeng's gone to. JungMin and HyungJoon should be back by now.”

"Okay," Kevin nodded, following KiBum. The other man was right; back by the tree line, YoungSaeng was talking to JungMin and HyungJoon. Kevin only knew which was which because HyungJoon looked almost identical to KiBum.

Shuffling from foot to foot, HyungJoon looked up and spotted them. "KiBum, you were supposed to stay back," he frowned at his brother.

“I'm not a baby Joon,” KiBum said. “Everything's fine now, right? I don't need to hide anymore, the bandits are gone.”

"For now." HyungJoon eyed Kevin, and the younger man was a little taken aback by the open hostility in the older brothers' eyes.

"We're not moving until RyeoWook says so," YoungSaeng either didn't notice or ignored what was going on. "In the meantime, let's eat."

“I don't know how long we can stay here Saeng, if those raiders regroup they could come back,” JungMin said. “I really think we need to get moving soon.”

“Okay, you want to help me with food Kevin?” KiBum asked, ignoring his brother.

"Sure," Kevin nodded.

"We move when RyeoWook's ready," YoungSaeng replied to JungMin, unconcerned. "Shouldn't be long, he's got KyuHyun in there."

“Okay, you're the boss,” JungMin said, arms crossed. “Joon and I will keep a perimeter then.”

"Good," YoungSaeng nodded. "Keep me posted." He looked Kevin up and down before turning to head up into the caravan.

Inside, he raised an eyebrow at KyuHyun pinning KyuJong's upper body down. "Well?"

“I'm almost done,” RyeoWook said, bent over KyuJong's arm. “He's not doing that bad considering.... and done, give him some more vodka KyuHyun,” he said, snipping the twine and sitting back. “You'll be fine in a week, we'll just have to make sure it doesn't get infected.”

“We?” KyuJong was trying to sit up, unsuccessfully. “I'm leaving, where's my pack?”

"What's the hurry?" YoungSaeng sat down on a crate. "We're heading across town, direction Jincheon. Hitch a ride, you're not going anywhere fast like that."

"Here, you'll feel less grouchy," KyuHyun leaned back and let KyuJong go, before nudging his shoulder with the vodka bottle.

“I'm heading to Seoul, it's in the other direction,” KyuJong said, though he accepted the bottle and took a drink. “Thank you, for the help and the offer though. I just can't stay.”

"Suit yourself. You're free to stick around till we're clear of this town at least," YoungSaeng shrugged. "Those bandits won't be friendly if they see you again."

"That's an understatement," KyuHyun snorted, adjusting where his quiver was resting.

“I'll worry about them,” KyuJong said. “But the kid, I think he would be better off sticking with you until the next town at least. I don't think I'll be able to keep him safe and he's been through enough.”

"What the kid does is up to him," YoungSaeng replied. "Your pack's by the front," he nodded in that direction. "We're going to head out, stay in here however long you want. KyuHyun, get out there and round up the others."

"Can't sit down for two minutes," KyuHyun grumbled, climbing back to his feet and hopping out the back of the wagon.

“Well, I think you should stay until you're healed at least,” RyeoWook said, cleaning off his tools. “The smell of an open wound at least is going to attract predators, and it's not like you'll be getting anywhere quickly.”

KyuJong didn't reply, looking away as RyeoWook finished putting his things away before hopping out of the caravan. “A couple days,” he said, looking at YoungSaeng. “I'll stay a couple days, make sure Kevin's alright at least.”

"Welcome on board," the flicker of a smirk appeared on YoungSaeng's lips. "KyuJong, I believe your name was?"

“Yeah,” KyuJong nodded. “And you're YoungSaeng? I take it you're the one in charge of... whatever this is. Are you merchants?”

"Merchants, service, all of the above," YoungSaeng replied. "We go wherever the trade's good. Yourself?"

"Just a traveler," KyuJong said, shrugging a little. "I've been on my own for a while, do odd jobs for food and supplies."

"Rare to see folk out here by themselves," YoungSaeng mused, chin in one hand.

"Yeah," KyuJong's lip quirked sadly and he looked towards the canvas flap. "Not safe to be alone, no one trusts you. Especially the big compounds, like the one in Busan. You ever been there? They don't like strangers at all."

"Yessir," YoungSaeng snorted. "They'd soon as shoot first, ask questions later, but that's the attitude these days. If it's not safe alone, then why be alone? No shortage of groups to latch onto."

"Most of those end up being bandits and thieves," KyuJong said, shaking his head. "I don't want no part of that. I'd rather just be by myself. At least I know I can take care of myself and no one's going to run out on me."

YoungSaeng nodded, then glanced towards the front of the caravan as it creaked and started to move. "I'll be out in the front if you have any questions. Oh, and if you touch anything in here, I'll know."

"Wasn't planning on it, but good to know," KyuJong said, making himself comfortable. "Thank you, by the way. For helping out back there. You didn't have to, but it was nice of you."

"Just being neighborly to a fellow traveler," YoungSaeng snorted, standing. "Besides, you and your kid were kind of in our way, it was either that or run you all over."

KyuJong had to chuckle at that. "Right, wouldn't want to break a wheel on one of us or something."

"Damn right, you ever have to change one of those things?" YoungSaeng smirked, turning to head out to the front of the caravan.

The tarp moved before he got there, Kevin poking his head in. "KyuJong hyung? We've got food." YoungSaeng slipped around the younger man, disappearing.

"... Thanks," KyuJong nodded, motioning him closer. "You alright?"

"Yeah," Kevin nodded, stepping in. He wobbled a little as the caravan moved, making his way over to kneel down beside KyuJong. "They're pretty nice." He held out the offering of meat, rice and kimchi, in a small ceramic bowl. "How's your arm?"

"Hurts, but it'll be fine," KyuJong said, setting the bowl in his lap. "I talked to YoungSaeng, their leader, he says you can stay on with them as long as you want. I'm sure they'll have you doing some jobs here and there until you find a compound or something."

Blinking, Kevin nodded and looked down. "Yeah, KiBum said they'd let me stay too. Well…it's not as if I had anywhere to go. Are you staying? At least until your arm's healed?"

"I'll stay a couple of days, just to make sure my arm doesn't get infected," KyuJong said, picking at the food. "But I'm not staying long."

"Okay," Kevin looked sad. "Thanks for looking after me, hyung. It really means a lot."

"Don't need to thank me," KyuJong replied, glancing briefly up at him. "Just... take care of yourself. I don't want to find you under a bush somewhere again."

Kevin chuckled quietly. "I'll do my best…you be careful too." He looked down at his hands before standing, wobbling a little. "I should go talk to YoungSaeng about staying with them…unless you want company?"

"Not really, but thanks," KyuJong said, focusing on his food.

"Okay, I'll be back later then," Kevin smiled slightly at the older man before turning to get out of the caravan. He wasn't yet sure of the offer to stay with the merchants, but truthfully he hadn't been looking forward to trying to fit into a new compound. If he was welcome here, well, it was a start.

 

 


 

Yaaaay already 200 views! You guys are awesome. Thank you to everyone who's subscribed so far! Hope you're enjoying your holidays :)

Please comment, subscribe and/or upvote if you liked the story!

 

@Forest_pixi: Yes, out da house xD *hugs him* Hehe you're havin' lots of fun with old western vocabulary. There's a bit of that mixed in every now and then, plus random words that sorta came back into fashion when the world went to hell in a handbasket. We had fun making this world XD 

@ping501: Cynical? Bitter? Skeptical? Jaded? XD *can keep going* Glad you liked the first chapter, hope you liked the second one too! I think our writing has been getting better, or at least I hope so XD

@ST01Now: Your username looks very familiar =O I mean besides for the obvious reason of being a SS501 album hehe. Merry Christmas to you too!! Hope you're enjoying the holiday season so far~

@tehreem: Glad you're excited xD MinJoon is always a fun couple to write. Thanks for the comment~~