Chapter Twelve

The Road Less Traveled

The following morning was chilly, the forest blanketed by a thick layer of fog. It muffled all surrounding noise, and left a layer of moisture on their bedrolls and on the outside of the caravan. Slowly the rising sun began to penetrate the fog, lifting the temperatures back to a normal level gradually.

Despite the chill in the air, YoungSaeng was warm when HyungJoon woke them all up. That was thanks to the man fast asleep against him, breath brushing against his neck in soft puffs. Watching HyungJoon move on to wake up KiBum and Kevin, YoungSaeng smiled softly at KyuJong and pressed a light kiss to his forehead. "Time to wake up."

Eyes opening slowly, it took a moment for KyuJong to orient himself with where he was and how he got there. "... Oh... but I'm very comfortable," he murmured, burrowing further into the blankets. "Seems like it's cold out there."

"It is," YoungSaeng murmured, running his hand along KyuJong's back slowly. "But we're going to have to get up eventually. It'll warm up once we start moving."

"Not the point," KyuJong grumbled.

"Well, isn't this cute," JungMin had woken up pretty quickly, the cold ground making it uncomfortable on his wounds. Standing over the two with hands on hips, he grinned down at them. "I can't believe you're cheating on me Saeng, I thought I meant something to you."

YoungSaeng's lips curled into a grin. "Sorry Min, I guess I'm not really into horses after all. Maybe you'll have better luck with Daisy, she was rather mopey when you had to ride in the caravan."

"...." JungMin scowled, kicking at the dirt next to their heads. "Just for that I'm eating your portion of breakfast."

"We'll have to roll you down the road," YoungSaeng smirked, shaking his head a little to get the dirt out of it. Looking back down at KyuJong, he was distracted by KyuHyun's voice.

"Hey…Wook? You okay?"

Slowly sitting up, YoungSaeng looked around to see KyuHyun crouching next to RyeoWook's bedroll.

"I'm fine," RyeoWook replied, his voice weak as he poked his head out from under the blankets. Cheeks pale, he opened his eyes slowly and winced at the light. "Why is everyone shouting?"

"No one's shouting," KyuHyun frowned down at him. Pressing a hand to RyeoWook's forehead, he looked over at the others. "Saeng, he's freezing."

It was a combination of the archer's words and the fact KyuHyun rarely sounded serious unless something was wrong that got YoungSaeng out of the bedroll, scooting out and standing to go to RyeoWook's side. Right away he could tell RyeoWook was sick. "How long have you been sick, Wook?" he asked quietly, kneeling down.

"What are you talking about, I feel fine," RyeoWook said, struggling weakly to get up but his arms wouldn't support his weight. "Just... didn't get enough sleep."

"He seemed fine yesterday," JungMin said. "... You should check, KyuHyun... just in case."

KyuHyun's lips thinned, and he nodded stiffly. "Yeah. Come on Wook, let's get you in the caravan and out of the cold." His arms wrapped around the other man and helped him to a sitting position. "Can you walk, or do you need a lift? Be honest."

RyeoWook looked up at KyuHyun, eyes hazy. "... I don't think I can walk," he whispered. "It's not the virus, I swear it's not... I don't want to die."

KyuHyun looked down at him, brow furrowed before he sighed softly and shifted so he could carry RyeoWook on his back. "We're going to check, you'll be okay. Just hang on." Securing RyeoWook's arms and legs, he stood to walk to the caravan. "I'll let you know how it goes, Saeng."

Stepping up into the caravan, he crouched to help RyeoWook off his back and onto the bench. "Tell me if you feel like you're gong to pass out, before you roll off the bench and crack your head…okay?"

RyeoWook closed his eyes once he was on the bench and settled. "I'm just a little light headed, nothing to be so worried about," he said. "Someone has to make breakfast, none of you can cook."

"We can fend for ourselves while you are sick." KyuHyun turned to face him. Inhaling deeply, he started to roll up RyeoWook's shirt.

When he saw the spot above RyeoWook's heart still faded and unchanged, he had to hold back a sigh of relief. "Good news Wook. You're stuck here with us for a while longer."

RyeoWook couldn't help let out a small cry of relief at hearing that. "You're not just lying to make me not worry, right?" he asked, trying to lift his head up enough to see.

"No I'm not lying, you can check for yourself once you're better. Lie down." KyuHyun rested his hand on RyeoWook's shoulder to keep him down. "Now that that's settled, you need to rest and let us take care of you. Must have been the chill last night."

"Maybe," RyeoWook mumbled, letting his eyes close again. "No fire last night, I got pretty cold. It's still kind of cold out today even... Tell Saeng I'm sorry I got sick."

"I'm not telling him that, because it's stupid." KyuHyun got up and pulled out a few blankets from in storage, tucking them in around RyeoWook. "I'll go let them know you're alive, and be back soon." Finding a pillow, he tucked it under RyeoWook's head.

"You're stupid," RyeoWook grumbled petulantly, but there was no energy to his voice and he quickly fell back into sleep.

Lips quirking a little, KyuHyun looked down at him before turning around to leave the caravan.

"How is he?" YoungSaeng was waiting, eyes worried. "It's not…"

"Not the virus, he just caught a really bad cold," KyuHyun replied. "He's freezing. We don't have any medicine left, do we?"

Brow furrowed, YoungSaeng shook his head. "We ran out," he said quietly. "Hopefully we'll be able to get some in Yongpo."

"Can he even wait that long?" JungMin asked, leaning up against the caravan with his arms crossed. "We're not going to be able to travel if he's sick Saeng."

"He really needs medicine though," KyuHyun replied. "Especially if it stays this cold, he'll get worse."

"Yongpo is a few hours from here…" YoungSaeng frowned. "A small group can make a trip there, check in the other compounds along the way."

"If I remember right, there's a compound not that far from the city, half a days ride," JungMin said. "KyuHyun and I can go ask around, see if anyone's got something they're willing to barter for. What do we have to trade with?"

"Not much, we're low on goods. I'll get you together some packs to bring," YoungSaeng replied. "Are you sure you're okay to travel, Min?"

"I'm better off than Wook is right now, and who else are you going to get to go? Kevin?" JungMin said, his jaw set. "KyuHyun, be ready to leave in the hour, I want to be back before nightfall."

KyuHyun didn't argue for once, nodding before going to where the horses were picketed. "Joon, can I borrow your horse?"

"Sure," HyungJoon said, frowning where he was sitting nearby.

"I can make something for us to eat," Kevin offered; he sometimes helped RyeoWook. "I'm not as good as RyeoWook hyung, but it'll be edible." When YoungSaeng nodded, he went to gather up supplies.

The mood around the camp was tense, most of them avoiding looking towards the caravan where RyeoWook slept. Illness wasn't treated lightly, not anymore. Even if it wasn't the virus that marked them all for death, it was still worrying. Medicine was hard to come by and even when someone did have it, the price was usually more than some were willing to pay.

JungMin had barely finished his breakfast before getting his horse ready, not saying anything as he loaded up the saddle bag and made sure he had extra ammunition on him. "Saeng, come here," he said, motioning the other man over with a tilt of his head.

Looking up, YoungSaeng stood and followed JungMin to his horse. "What are you thinking, Min," he asked quietly, stopping beside him.

"I'm thinking that the couple bottles of wine we got and few bits of gold aren't going to be enough," JungMin said, keeping his voice low. "We may have to give up a horse."

Lips thinning, YoungSaeng looked away as he thought about that. They needed each horse they had, but at the same time, it was a horse versus RyeoWook. They could always buy a new horse later on…there was only one RyeoWook, and they couldn't lose him. "…A horse is a small price to pay for our cook's life," he said after a long pause, looking back at JungMin. "Whose horse is the question."

"Well, HyungJoon's horse is too old, and KiBum's horse is too green," JungMin said, sighing unhappily. "Just leaves one."

YoungSaeng's eyes saddened. "I know you and her've come a long way…it's your call, Min. You can try with Joon's horse first, get his permission before you go."

"Nah, don't want to bother him with it," JungMin said, cinching his horse's strap a little tighter. "If we don't come back with medicine Saeng, you and I are going to have a very different conversation."

"I know," YoungSaeng said quietly. He clasped JungMin's shoulder. "Good luck. Don't get yourself into trouble."

"We're ready?" KyuHyun asked, carrying one of the packs along with his bow and quiver. He strapped the pack to the saddle of HyungJoon's horse, making sure everything was secure.

"Just waiting on you, " JungMin said, mounting his horse and taking the reins. "You sure you're going to be able to ride for that long?"

"Watch me." KyuHyun's expression was set as he climbed up onto the horse, adjusting his quiver and resting his bow where he could easily grab it. "Let's go."

JungMin glanced at YoungSaeng and give a slight nod before he turned his horse towards the road at a cantor. Most everyone in the camp watched the two ride off, KyuJong coming up besides YoungSaeng when they disappeared through the trees. "What you think their chances are?"

Arms folded across his chest, YoungSaeng sighed as he turned away. "Not very good. There's a reason why we haven't been able to restock on medicine lately." The price on it was practically extortion. "I'm going to keep an eye on Wook, maybe this'll pass over with some time. Can you and Joon keep an eye on the kids? Don't need anyone else catching sick out here."

"Sure thing boss," KyuJong nodded. "Though I don't think I need to tell HyungJoon to keep an eye on KiBum. I bet first things HyungJoon will do is steal any extra blankets we have to wrap him up in a cocoon."

"That might not be a bad idea. Just make sure he knows to look after Kevin too." YoungSaeng leaned in to give KyuJong a light kiss before heading into the caravan, expression clearly troubled.

"... Doubt that's going to happen," KyuJong said, watching him go. He looked back towards where JungMin and KyuHyun had ridden off into the woods, hoping they succeeded.

The better part of the day was spent going through what supplies they had while YoungSaeng and KyuJong took turns looking after RyeoWook. Their cook didn't seem to improving much at all as they day wore on, if anything he looked worse. Sometime before sundown he'd started to shiver, despite the heat of the day and several blankets they had him buried under.

By the time JungMin and KyuHyun returned, things were looking grim, especially with the expressions on both their faces.

"Saeng!" JungMin called for their boss before he'd even dismounted, throwing his reins towards KiBum who was nearby.

Stepping out of the caravan, YoungSaeng's eyes landed on the two who'd just arrived. He knew they hadn't been able to get what they came for before he could even ask. "Was there no medicine there?" he asked, walking to them. "Or they weren't willing to trade."

"They didn't like what we had to offer," JungMin said, a visible bruise on his cheek and a cut lip. "They've got a whole stockpile that they're just sitting on, but wanted both our horses plus everything we bought to trade. We're lucky we got out of there with our skin still intact."

Gaze darkening, YoungSaeng scowled. KyuHyun had some bruising on the side of his jaw too. "Little better than bandits. Come on, let's look at those injuries. Kevin, get them something to eat."

"Yes boss," Kevin jumped to his feet.

JungMin followed YoungSaeng over to the caravan, sitting down on the back gate. "Saeng... I told you when I left if things didn't go right you and I were going to have another conversation," he said, touching at his cut lip with a wince. "We have to get that medicine."

YoungSaeng got a small container of water and a clean cloth, sitting down next to him. "…You know how I feel about stealing," he said, soaking the cloth before wiping at JungMin's lip. "Dead bandits is one thing."

"If we don't get that medicine for Wook, he could get worse," JungMin said. "I can get in and get out without them even knowing I was there. You hired me because I'm the best at what I do, and that even included stealing. It's not the first time we've stolen stuff to get by."

"From bandits, or only because there was absolutely no other choice." YoungSaeng tended to JungMin's injuries. "There are other compounds around…we can try somewhere else. They can't be the only compound with medicine."

"And how long you think it's going to take for us to find another one? Saeng... we can't afford to travel with him like this, he could get a lot worse. This isn't the virus going rampant but it's just as bad cause we don't know what's going to happen," JungMin said, looking into YoungSaeng's eyes. "You know I'm right."

YoungSaeng looked back at JungMin, brow knit together. He did know JungMin had a very good point, but at the same time they worked every day to avoid things like stealing. "…There's another compound west of here, off the trade route but still close by," he said quietly. "We'll try there tomorrow. If we can't work out a deal with whoever's there…we'll get that medicine for Wook, no matter what."

JungMin growled in frustration, getting to his feet and stalking off. "You are so god damned stubborn sometimes Saeng. He better make it through one more day."

Having sat down nearby once he was done with the horses, KiBum had heard most of the conversation and he looked at Kevin with wide eyes. "You hear that?" he whispered. "RyeoWook might not make it."

Kevin's eyes were just as wide as he nodded. "But…there is medicine at that compound," he whispered back. YoungSaeng stayed on the caravan's back gate for a long moment, eyes lowered, before standing and disappearing inside the caravan. "He's really, really bad…wouldn't it be better to steal the medicine than to wait?"

"Yeah, but YoungSaeng doesn't want us to be like bandits right? If we were to steal medicine... would we really be any different than them?" KiBum replied. "... But I guess it's for a good reason, I mean, if RyeoWook is really that sick... isn't it worth bending the rules just once?"

"Yeah…if he might die…" Kevin nodded, finishing the pot of rice and shredded meat he'd been making for the two who'd just came back. Looking around, he saw KyuHyun standing within earshot of the caravan. The archer was taking care of his bow, a grim expression on his face. "KyuHyun looks pissed."

"Well he and RyeoWook are really close, he's probably really pissed they can't get the medicine," KiBum said. "I'd be too. If it was you that was sick in there, I'd want to do anything I could to make sure you got better. Even if I had to shoot a bunch of people and steal stuff."

"Shouldn't shoot people," Kevin frowned, putting together the bowls. "What…do you think we should do? Will talking to YoungSaeng hyung change anything?" The others didn't really listen to them.

"Doubt it," KiBum said. "I don't know if there's anything we can do Kevin. Unless you want to go steal the medicine ourselves."

"Can't we?" Kevin frowned. "But…I doubt I'd be any good at stealing it."

"Have you ever stolen anything in your life?" KiBum asked, shaking his head a little. "I don't know. I kind of feel like we need to do something. RyeoWook needs that medicine and I'm kind of tired of getting treated like a baby around here."

"…Me too." Kevin looked at him. "I've only stole stuff like…apples, when I was a kid, but…I want to help. We're not babies, we can get him that medicine."

"We can, but... we may need a little help," KiBum said. "We don't know where the compound is and we don't get weapons."

Kevin's eyes went back to KyuHyun. The archer looked like he was preparing for something, not paying any attention to those around him as he sharpened his arrows. "Do you think KyuHyun's planning something?"

Lips thinning, KiBum nodded. "I've never seen him look so... serious before." Glancing at Kevin, KiBum motioned for him to follow before starting over to where KyuHyun was. "Hey... KyuHyun..." he said, sitting down across from him. "How do you feel about Saeng's decision?"

KyuHyun's eyes went to the two sitting down in front of him, expression unreadable as he set the arrow in his hand aside and picked up another. "…I think he's being an idiot. He's too much of an idealist."

".. but he's the boss right? I mean, if someone, or a couple someone's were to say... head out in the middle of the night and go get the medicine that RyeoWook needs, he'd be really upset right?" KiBum asked.

"Of course he'd be upset." KyuHyun's eyes narrowed at the two of them. "What are you getting at?"

"Just thinking out loud I guess," KiBum shrugged. "I mean he'd be upset at first, but we'd have the medicine RyeoWook needs, so it's for a good cause. It's not like YoungSaeng would kill someone over it, or kick them out of the caravan."

"…Oh no you don't." KyuHyun pointed at KiBum with the arrow in his hand. "You and Kevin aren't going anywhere. It's not going to be on my head if you get yourselves killed. For one, HyungJoon will kill me if you got so much as a scratch."

KiBum frowned at that, leaning in a little closer and lowering his voice. "But you want to get the medicine for RyeoWook right? So do we. It can't be that hard to steal something. Hyung used to do it all the time when we were kids and he never got nabbed for it."

"And how many times have you stolen something yourself? Normally I'd be all for you pissing off your brother, but this isn't a game KiBum. I'm not risking that medicine not getting to RyeoWook by bringing along a couple of green kids who've never stolen anything before."

"... So you are going," KiBum said, lips quirking a little. "Look, we can help. We may not be master thieves or anything but it's always good to have backup. We can be a distraction or something."

"Of course I'm going. And my answer is still no." KyuHyun went back to what he was doing, sharpening his arrow. "Try stealing fruit first, not medicine worth two of our horses."

Scowling, KiBum got to his feet. Obviously he wasn't going to convince KyuHyun of anything right now. "Come on Kevin, let's go find some fruit to steal then," he said, walking away.

Kevin stood up, following after KiBum. He couldn't say he was surprised by the reaction they'd gotten. "No one here thinks we're serious," he said quietly once they were far enough away from KyuHyun.

"Well then I guess it's time we show them we're serious," KiBum said. "I'm not that much younger than KyuHyun, I can hold my own if I need to. If he can disobey orders, then so can we."

"You think so?" Kevin looked up at KiBum, frowning lightly. He nodded after a moment, lowering his voice. "Okay, I'm with you. How are we going to do this though? We'll be noticed as soon as we try to leave the camp."

"When has anyone ever paid attention to what we do?" KiBum said, rolling his eyes. "I don't think getting out will be a problem, and even if we do get caught, it's not like we can't just make something up, like we need to relieve ourselves or something."

Kevin nodded again. "Tonight then? After KyuHyun leaves?"

"Yeah, we'll put our bed rolls near the tree line so we can get out easier," KiBum nodded. "I'll see what I can do about getting us some weapons. Sometimes hyung leaves his gun out."

"Okay," Kevin drew in a deep breath. "I'll make sure your horse is ready. Am I riding with you, or taking one of the others?"

"I don't want to put anyone out, just in case," KiBum said. "We'll just take my horse. Less chance we'll get caught."

Nodding in agreement, Kevin drew in a deep breath and glanced around at the others. As usual, no one was paying them any attention, so at least they'd be able to get ready without interference. Even HyungJoon, who usually watched KiBum like a hawk, was distracted by trying to start a fire. They couldn't afford no fire two nights in a row, not if they didn't want anyone else to catch sick.

When they all went to sleep that night, no one noticed KiBum and Kevin move their bedrolls a little farther away than usual. Some people still weren't talking, the threat to RyeoWook's health weighing heavily on them all. YoungSaeng looked like he was reconsidering his decision after spending most of the evening in the caravan with RyeoWook, but finally went to sleep without saying anything else.

JungMin took first shift, but he didn't seem to notice not everyone was sleeping. Kevin absently played with the zipper to his bedroll, watching the others and resisting the urge to look towards KiBum. Time ticked on, until finally the rest of the camp was asleep. Except for one other person.

Soundlessly slipping out of his bedroll, KyuHyun barely looked to JungMin as he picked up his bow and quiver from beside him. He'd gone to 'sleep' still dressed to ride, crouching by his bedroll to tighten his boots before standing and slipping his quiver over one shoulder.

"Going somewhere KyuHyun?" JungMin asked quietly. KiBum could barely see the man who was just outside of the treeline, the firelight not reaching that far. "Little late to go hunting isn't it?"

KyuHyun didn't reply right away, adjusting his strap as he walked over to the horses. "Getting an early start on breakfast. Think of it that way if it makes you feel better." He stopped by one of the caravan's horses, getting the mare ready to go.

"I'm not an idiot KyuHyun," JungMin said, shaking his head. "He means that much to you huh?"

Silence was JungMin's answer, KyuHyun tightening the straps of the saddle and making sure the bridle was on properly. Untying the mare from the picket line, he drew her away from the camp. "I'll be back before they wake up. Keep…Keep an eye on Wook for me until then."

"KyuHyun... I can't let you take that horse," JungMin said, stepping in his way. "She's not a riding horse and if she ends up lame YoungSaeng will kill me."

KyuHyun stopped, scowling and ready to argue his way past JungMin if he had to. "If I go on foot I'll be there at dawn. You can't stop me from going, JungMin."

"No, but I can stop you from making a bad decision," JungMin said. "You need a horse that will be better on open field. Take mine."

The younger man's expression eased slowly at that. After a moment he nodded. "…Thank you." He brought the mare back to the picket line, quickly tying her back up before moving on to JungMin's mare.

"Yeah well, you better come back in one piece with the medicine," JungMin said. "I don't want to have to explain to the boss what happened to you and to my horse."

"Boss can chew me out after I get the medicine." KyuHyun finished securing the saddle before bringing JungMin's horse to the edge of the camp. He swung himself up into the saddle, securing his bow. "See you in the morning." With a gentle nudge he set off, disappearing into the darkness of the trees.

JungMin watched him go, feeling maybe a little bitter that he wasn't going with him. It had been his idea to begin with after all, but he wasn't about to undermine YoungSaeng. Taking back up his position outside of the camp, he didn't even notice that two others had gone missing as well.

Kevin and KiBum kept complete silence as they moved farther away from camp, the younger of the two shivering a little in the cold night air. They followed KyuHyun at a distance, keeping just close enough so they could tell which way he was going. Getting lost in the woods at night would not be a good thing. "I can't believe that worked," Kevin whispered finally, arms wrapped around KiBum's waist from behind.

"It's not over yet," KiBum said. "We have to get far enough away from the camp so that if KyuHyun sees us, he can't just send us back."

Nodding, Kevin rested his cheek against KiBum's back. They rode at a light trot, keeping a good pace. Kevin wasn't entirely sure what they'd do when they reached the compound, but they'd think about it then. One step at a time. "You'll be careful, right?" he murmured after another long pause.

"Of course," KiBum said, glancing a little over his shoulder. "Don't worry, we'll be fine. I managed to get hyung's gun, I'll keep us safe."

"Okay," Kevin nodded a little. He wished he had a weapon too, but they hadn't been able to grab someone else's weapon in the short amount of time they'd had. "I just don't want you to get hurt while we're doing this."

"I won't," KiBum said. "Long as we do this right and stick with KyuHyun, we'll be fine."

"Right…" Kevin fell silent, listening to the twigs snap under the horse's hooves.

Branches rustled and a large shape swung out of the trees a few paces front of them. KyuHyun's arrow was pointed at their faces. "Who's there?"