Chapter Five

The Road Less Traveled

Arriving back at the caravan, Kevin could see YoungSaeng had reappeared with JaeJoong and was overseeing the last fixes before they were to head out. "All set, Min?"

"We're good to go, just be careful on some turns," JungMin said, seeing KyuJong and Kevin approach. "You be careful with that horse Kevin, we paid too much for her and she better not come up lame."

"Yessir," Kevin ducked his head sheepishly. He handed the packhorses off to KyuHyun before bringing his own horse over to where KiBum was. "Did I set up all this right?" he whispered to the other man, double-checking the saddle and halter.

KiBum snorted a little, coming over to Kevin's side. "Um... well yeah, you need to cinch the saddle a little tighter and she's got the bit in her teeth."

"Ah." Kevin's cheeks burned as he carefully fixed the mistakes. "I didn't really want to ask JungMin for help."

"Don't blame you," KiBum nodded. "He'd make fun of you for a week for it. I'll just make fun of you for life."

"KiBum," Kevin whined quietly. "Cut me some slack? I've never taken care of a horse before." Fixing the bit, he ran his fingers through the horse's mane. "I should name her. Does your horse have a name?"

"He does..." KiBum looked around and leaned closer to whisper to Kevin. "I named him JungMin."

Kevin choked, clamping one hand over his mouth to stifle the laugh that was trying to escape. "Does…does the other JungMin know?" he whispered, snickering.

"No, and we're keeping it that way," KiBum said. "See, Saeng has a nickname for JungMin, he calls him Mal, y'know, horse. So... I call my horse JungMin. KyuHyun thinks it's hilarious."

"…Of course KyuHyun thinks it's hilarious," Kevin shook his head. "You're not worried about him tying you in knots if he finds out?" he chuckled.

"Not really, he's a nice guy," KiBum said. "I mean, I'm not going to come out and just tell him or anything, but I don't think he'd really hurt me. Besides, Saeng'd kill him if he hurt anyone."

"Yah, we're moving out," YoungSaeng's voice rang out over the chatter, the other man hopping up into the front of the caravan and sitting on the bench.

"Try not to kill yourself laughing if I fall off." Kevin carefully hoisted himself up into the saddle, wrapping the reins tightly around his hands as his mare fidgeted.

"No promises," KiBum grinned, falling in line with the caravan as it started towards the main gates of the compound. "Where we heading next YoungSaeng?"

"West to Yesan," YoungSaeng replied, humming to himself. "Got some good leads. After that we'll see about taking the coastline back up towards Seoul."

"Why go to Seoul?" JungMin asked, glancing at YoungSaeng over his shoulder. "Nothing but trouble waiting for us there."

"I've never been to Seoul, what's it like?" KiBum asked, looking between them. "Hyung says it's like a real city, like ones that were around before the plague hit."

"As close as it gets now," YoungSaeng nodded. "Some parts even have electricity. You'll see when we get there." He looked over at JungMin. "They're having trouble with crops up there again. Yesan's got more than they need; we'll turn a good profit."

That didn't seem to appease JungMin, his lips thinning and tightening his grip on his reins. "Alright, but you and I should talk later tonight when we've stopped."

YoungSaeng raised an eyebrow. "After dinner."

"City folk are a whole different breed." KyuHyun had poked his head out from inside the caravan, grinning at KiBum. "Not sure you'll be wanting to go back after meeting a couple of them." He disappeared with a yelp when YoungSaeng reached back and smacked him.

"He's not kidding," JungMin said, kicking his horse forward to the gate. It was much easier to get out of the compound than it had been to get in, and soon enough they were clear with a bit of distance from the compound behind them.

Kevin spent several minutes once they were clear of the compound trying to get used to riding a horse, finding a spot to the side of the caravan out of the way of the others to walk. Trying to think of a name for her, he wondered if the others would have any good suggestions.

Looking around for KyuJong to ask (though he'd probably just get a weird look), he blinked in confusion. "…Where's KyuJong hyung?"

"What?" KiBum had been lost in his own thoughts, but he looked around, not seeing the other man either. "Isn't he in the caravan?"

Kevin had last seen KyuJong outside the caravan, but checked anyways. He moved closer to the caravan, knocking on the wooden side. "KyuJong hyung?"

"Huh?" KyuHyun poked his head out again. "He's not in here, it's just Wook, JaeJoong and me."

"But…then…" Kevin looked confused and worried, looking around again. "Where is he?"

YoungSaeng sighed quietly, looking back at them. "He's decided to go his own way."

"How come he didn't say goodbye?" KiBum frowned. "Did he not like us or something?"

"He said it was easier this way," YoungSaeng replied, watching Kevin's expression go from confused and worried to confused and hurt. "Some people just don't know how to say goodbye."

Kevin ducked his head, dropping back from the caravan to where he'd been riding before.

"Kind of an move on his part," JungMin said, glancing at YoungSaeng. KiBum scowled a little, falling back to ride with Kevin, hopefully to cheer him up if possible, but it didn't look like it was going to happen.

 

 

There was a part of KyuJong that felt bad about leaving in the way he did. Not saying good-bye to Kevin, who out of all of them he felt the closest to, did eat at him a little. He knew Kevin looked up to him, but it was probably just because he was the first person he had encountered after his whole reality had been ripped out from under him. KyuJong kept having to tell himself it was for the best, and he would get over it in a few days.

By the time the sun had set, he really hadn't gone as far as he had planned. After the first hour, he'd sat down in a clearing to eat a small meal, glancing down the road from time to time as if he could hear the creaking wheels of the caravan. The sun had set not long after that so he made a small camp, not even starting a fire in case he attracted attention. It was cold and more than a little lonely, and his food wasn't nearly as good or filling as RyeoWook's cooking was.

KyuJong wasn't sure what had woken him, maybe it was the light, maybe it was the smell of smoke or the shouts. Whatever it was, KyuJong jolted awake and glanced around in confusion. That had sounded like... Another shout in the distance had him up on his feet and running. That had been YoungSaeng shouting, and if those pops were what he thought they were, the group was in trouble.

As he drew closer, the shouts could be understood, YoungSaeng shouting for water. The trees gave way into a clearing up ahead. The back half of the caravan was on fire, the tarp burning easily. Thankfully the fire hadn't spread to the trees, some of the group gone to get water from a nearby stream. A figure was slumped over in the grass not far away, dragged clear of the fire.

YoungSaeng was at the front of the caravan, ignoring the tarp quickly going to smoke above his head as he dragged someone out from inside. Coughing, he got the other person out from underneath the tarp and pulled him off the caravan.

Eyes widening, KyuJong nearly stumbled over a tree root as he came out of the tree line and into the clearing. That little stumble saved his life as he heard rather than felt a bullet whizzing past his head. "Don't shoot!"

"KyuJong?" JungMin called, though KyuJong couldn't tell where he was with all of the smoke. "Give YoungSaeng a hand!"

"What the hell happened?" KyuJong asked, coughing as a roll of smoke hit him when he approached YoungSaeng, seeing it was RyeoWook who he'd just pulled from the caravan.

"Later," YoungSaeng panted, looking up at KyuJong. "Get him and the horses clear," he passed RyeoWook over to KyuJong before running to the caravan's side. He swiftly worked to undo the tarp, flinching as stray flames at his fingers. "JungMin I need that water!"

"The water's coming!" JungMin called. KyuJong had hefted RyeoWook over his shoulder, taking the team horses by the lead lines to get them clear. He could see the others with buckets running as best they could towards the caravan.

By the time they reached the caravan, YoungSaeng had untied the tarp and pulled the flaming material off of the caravan. He dropped it into the fire pit, swearing; his sleeve was on fire. Kevin saw the problem and stopped with his bucket so YoungSaeng could dunk his arm into the water. Coughing at all the smoke, HyungJoon skidded to a stop by the back of the caravan and threw his two buckets one after another into the fire.

KiBum meanwhile was trying to smother the flames inside the caravan with a blanket, stamping out any hot spots before they reached the cargo. By the time the fires had been put out, RyeoWook was coming to, coughing harshly as KyuJong laid him down to the ground with JungMin's help.

"Can someone tell me what the hell happened now?" KyuJong asked, straightening back up. "Is everyone okay?"

"That depends," YoungSaeng panted, wincing as he removed his hand from the bucket and flexed his fingers. Kevin hurried with the bucket to the back of the caravan to help KiBum, glancing at KyuJong with wide eyes.

"That JaeJoong happened," HyungJoon said, climbing up into the caravan to check for damage. "Clobbered KyuHyun on watch, and tried to make off with some of our stuff. Didn't work so he set the tarp on fire and got away on Kevin's horse."

YoungSaeng crouched down where KyuHyun was slumped over in the grass, carefully rolling him onto his back and checking the side of his head. "Bring the first aid kit over. Wook? Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," RyeoWook said, waving JungMin away from him so he could get to his feet.

"I'll get the kit," JungMin said, making sure RyeoWook was steady first before going to the caravan. There wasn't much left, the kit badly burned from the fire. "He gonna be okay?" he asked, passing it to YoungSaeng.

"Going to have to keep an eye on him," YoungSaeng replied. "Might have a concussion." He opened up the kit, wincing as the burned fingers of one hand refused to bend. He pressed sanitized gauze to the side of KyuHyun's head. "No point in going after JaeJoong, he'll already be long gone. Take care of any injuries first, then I want a full report on whatever's been lost."

"I'll get on that," JungMin said, turning to go back to the caravan.

"You should get that hand taken care of first Saeng," KyuJong said, watching him.

"I'm fine, KyuHyun and RyeoWook got it worse." YoungSaeng looked up at KyuJong, expression unreadable. "Why are you here?"

"I saw the fire... and I heard you shouting," KyuJong said. "I... was worried. Worried that you... that someone was getting hurt."

YoungSaeng's eyes searched KyuJong's expression for a long moment before he turned back to what he was doing. "Thanks for helping out. If you could get RyeoWook to sit down away from the firepit and take it easy? He inhaled far too much smoke for my liking."

"I'll try," KyuJong nodded. "I'm glad you're all okay though... and no one got seriously hurt. I... should have stayed, maybe could have prevented this."

"What's done is done, 'what if's won't help anyone. You came back, that's what's important right now." YoungSaeng taped the gauze to the side of KyuHyun's head, making the unconscious man comfortable before he turned to take care of his burned hand.

"Yeah.." KyuJong nodded, watching him for a moment. "Here, let me," he said, taking one of the gauze wraps from YoungSaeng. "Easier to do with two hands instead of one."

YoungSaeng's lips quirked slightly and he sighed before holding out his hand. "Very well. We're lucky we caught the fire early; most of the caravan is fireproof, but that tarp could have destroyed the whole thing."

"Maybe you should invest in a better covering than a tarp," KyuJong said, gently wrapping the gauze around the burned fingers. "I don't think you're going to be able to drive very well with one hand."

"Who else is going to drive?" YoungSaeng wrinkled his nose, trying not to wince. "I know the tarp was a bad idea, I just never got around to changing it. Guess I finally have a good reason to."

"Well... since RyeoWook and KyuHyun are probably going to be out of it for a while... I can drive," KyuJong said, using his knife to cut the gauze and tie it off. "Just until your hands get better that is."

"You?" YoungSaeng's eyes flicked back to KyuJong's face. "I thought you wanted to go your own way."

"I still do... but I think I can stick around a little longer," KyuJong shrugged. "Someone's gotta make sure no one burns down the rest of the caravan."

YoungSaeng's lips quirked slightly. "Well…welcome back." He withdrew his hand, looking down at the bandages. "Not bad. Can you keep an eye on KyuHyun while I check the caravan?" He stood up.

"Yeah, and I'll keep RyeoWook from moving around until he can breathe without coughing up a lung," KyuJong nodded.

"You've got your work cut out for you with that one. No moving," YoungSaeng pointed at RyeoWook before jogging back to the caravan. "Are the rest of you all right?"

"Yeah, we're okay," KiBum nodded, his face covered in soot. "I think I burned my shoes though. Are RyeoWook and KyuHyun okay?"

"KyuHyun's still out and we won't know until he wakes up, Wook'll be fine once he's breathed in enough fresh air." YoungSaeng looked between KiBum and Kevin. "Speaking of fresh air, you both need some too. Go sit down for a bit, keep an eye out. You did good."

"Thanks boss," KiBum grinned, nudging Kevin a little and heading towards a fallen tree to sit on.

"He took some weapons and munitions," JungMin said, hopping out of the caravan. "Some of the food was burned up but it might still be edible. You okay?"

"Just my hand," YoungSaeng looked inside the caravan, frowning. "We're not waiting for dawn, I want to put some distance between us and this place. But we can't go anywhere until KyuHyun's woken up. His books aren't kindling are they, we're never going to hear the end of it."

"Lucky for him, they were stored in the compartment under the seat," JungMin said, rolling his eyes. "They're the least damaged out of anything. We lost some good cook pots and changes of clothes but thank goodness his books are safe."

"We can replace pots and clothes," YoungSaeng replied, voice quieting as his eyes landed on something. "Some things are personal and can't be replaced." He reached into the back of the caravan and carefully pulled a half-burned guitar out from behind a crate.

"Right, but... they're just things Saeng," JungMin said softly. "We all made it out, and your tough as nails box on wheels is going to keep rolling. It could have been a lot worse."

"It could have been, and I'm glad it isn't," YoungSaeng snorted, gaze lifting to JungMin's face. "Why don't you check the horses…I'll finish up here."

"The horses are fine, I got Kevin watching them," JungMin said. "How about you take your own advice for once and sit down. You got a few good lungfuls of smoke yourself. We'll rest about twenty minutes and then we need to get going. Take twenty minutes off boss."

YoungSaeng's expression eased into a frown, eyes narrowing at JungMin. "…You're not going to let me refuse, are you."

"Not if you want to keep me around," JungMin waggled his eyebrows at him. "It's my job to make sure you stay alive, so go sit your down."

"Oh fine." YoungSaeng looked down at the guitar in his hands, carefully brushing soot off one side even though it hardly made a difference. He placed it back down on top of a crate before turning towards where the others were and sitting down.

It was five minutes later when KyuHyun groaned lowly, slowly coming around. His eyes opened, closed, and opened again, and he winced as he tried to sit up.

"Someone's up," KyuJong said, blinking when RyeoWook immediately went to KyuHyun's side.

"Hey, don't try to move," RyeoWook said, gently pushing him back down. "You've got a nasty bump on your head."

"Huh?" KyuHyun blinked blearily up at RyeoWook. "Wook…I feel like a horse kicked me in the head." He reached up with one hand, finding the bandages. "What happened?"

"JaeJoong, he was a damn thief," RyeoWook said, shooing KyuHyun's hand away from the bandage. "Knocked you out, set fire to the caravan while I was sleeping in it. He didn't get much cause JungMin woke up and started shooting at him."

"Did JungMin put a bullet between his eyes then?" KyuHyun swatted at RyeoWook's hand grumpily before squinting up at the other man. "Wait…you were in the caravan? And it was on fire?"

'Yeah, but I'm fine," RyeoWook said with a smile. "Unfortunately JungMin isn't as great of a shot as he pretends to be, missed him by a mile. But if we see him again I don't think he'll be that lucky."

"We'll see who gets him first, JungMin's bullet or my arrow." KyuHyun groaned, covering his eyes with one hand. "You're okay…good, good. The caravan?"

"Well, I don't think I'll be sleeping in it anymore, but she's still standing," RyeoWook said. "The tarp caught pretty quick and is charred so we'll have to get a new cover."

"Good, it was kinda leaky anyways." KyuHyun peeked at RyeoWook through his fingers. "…My books?"

"They survived," RyeoWook chuckled. "Unless JungMin decided to use them as kindling and tell you they burned up."

"…Let me up, he better not have," KyuHyun struggled to sit up, tipping over onto his side.

"What'd I tell you, don't move," RyeoWook huffed, swatting at him. "Your books are fine."

Grumbling, KyuHyun gave up and laid on his back again, closing his eyes.

YoungSaeng's lips quirked softly as he watched them, glad they were both alright. His eyes went to KiBum and Kevin on the other side of the clearing, HyungJoon sitting by himself not far from his brother. He knew Kevin had seen KyuJong by now, but the younger man hadn't spoken to him yet, and from how his back was turned wasn't going to.

Finally he stood up with a sigh. "All right, we're moving out. We'll get some distance before stopping again to rest."

"If I could make a suggestion boss?" JungMin said, bringing the team horses over. "We go a different route than what we had planned. JaeJoong knew where we had planned on and I want to make sure he doesn't come back around."

"I agree," YoungSaeng nodded. "We'll take a bit of a detour then. Get the horses ready while I get our map." He headed towards the caravan, climbing inside.

"... What do you think I was doing?" JungMin grumbled, pulling the horses towards the front of the caravan.

A little ways away, KiBum was watching the others as they got ready to go, Kevin beside him as they both recovered from what had happened. "So I guess KyuJong's going with us now?" he said, looking to Kevin.

Kevin's lips thinned slightly, and he looked down, picking at a spot of soot on his pants. "I guess so. I don't know why, if he wanted to leave."

"Maybe he changed his mind," KiBum replied. "I mean, he could have got a ways away, wouldn't have heard or seen anything, so maybe he decided to meet back up with us or something."

"Maybe," Kevin murmured. "Or maybe he's just going to leave again without a word."

"You going to even talk to him at all?" KiBum asked.

"No. I don't know." Kevin didn't look up. "It's…he left. Without even a word. YoungSaeng knew he was going, but he didn't say a word to anyone else…me. I'm not over that."

"Makes you wonder what's happened in his life though, that he didn't even want to stay," KiBum said. "I mean... he kept everyone so distant, even you. He doesn't really talk much about where he came from or anything."

"I asked once, he didn't want to answer and snapped at me for asking," Kevin replied, resting his cheek on one knee.

"So it was that bad then," KiBum sighed a little, leaning back on his hands. "You know, my dad walked out on me and hyung when we were little. I don't even remember it, and he doesn't talk about it at all. It's rough losing people you thought you could count on."

Kevin looked up at KiBum. For all that his own family had been through, all the droughts and bandits, he at least could say he'd had two kind, loving parents. "Yeah…I'm sorry. Is that why your brother…why he's like that?" He glanced towards HyungJoon, sitting by himself off to the side.

"It's... part of it," KiBum said, his brow furrowing. "He and I, we went through a lot growing up. He did a lot to make sure I stayed safe, and he still does... but..."

"Yah you two! Get your asses in gear or we're leaving you behind!" JungMin interrupted, barking at them from across the clearing.

Jumping, Kevin climbed to his feet. "We're coming!" JungMin was scary when he yelled.

With RyeoWook's help, YoungSaeng got KyuHyun standing. "You get to lie down in the caravan, and if I see you trying to move I'll feed your books to the horses," YoungSaeng ordered KyuHyun who grumbled his understanding. "Joon, time to move!"

HyungJoon hopped to his feet, going to get his horse. "I'll check the road ahead," He glanced at JungMin, swinging himself up into his saddle.

"You want to ride with me?" KiBum asked Kevin, climbing up onto his horse. "It's crowded in the caravan."

"Yeah, thanks," Kevin looked relieved, climbing on behind KiBum. "I can't believe he took my horse…I was just starting to get used to riding."

"We'll get you another one soon enough," KiBum said, making sure Kevin was on properly before falling in line with the caravan. "I just can't believe he set fire to the caravan, I mean he tried to kill us."

"I know," Kevin closed his eyes; the fact they'd nearly been killed still hadn't sunk in. "I guess I understand now why you're all so worried about picking up random people." He rested his forehead against KiBum's back, exhausted.

"Yeah, it's not the first time someone's tried to rob us like this," KiBum said. "I mean we try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt, but the more things like this happen the less we're going to trust strangers. My brother especially."

"Your brother doesn't even seem to trust us," Kevin replied quietly, listening to the creaking of the caravan wheels.

"No, not really," KiBum sighed, glancing towards his brother. "He was a lot worse. Sometimes I don't think he even trusts me."

"I'm not sure I can imagine him being worse than this," Kevin opened his eyes, straightening a little to look at KiBum over his shoulder. "He has to trust his brother though."

"Not really," KiBum shrugged. "I don't always listen to him, because I think he's being silly most of the time. He doesn't think I know how to make good decisions. Sometimes when he talks to me, I feel like I'm ten years old again. I think that's how he still sees me. A little kid who can't do anything by themselves."

Kevin's eyes saddened. That wasn't fair to KiBum to be treated like a ten-year-old. "Maybe we can show him you're not ten and can take care of yourself," he smiled, hugging KiBum from behind. "I'm not sure how, but we'll find a way."

"You're far more optimistic about that than I ever will be," KiBum chuckled. "My brother is as stubborn as a mule."

"You can still teach mules stuff though," Kevin grinned. "It just takes a little more work."

"Yeah, they also bite and sometimes it's just not worth it to try," KiBum said, shaking his head. "I've tried, I really have. It's like he thinks that if he takes his eyes off of me for a second I'm going to disappear or something."

Maybe that was how HyungJoon thought, Kevin remembering when KiBum had taken him to see the waterfall and HyungJoon's over-the-top reaction when they got back. "We'll work on it," Kevin sighed, arms tightening slightly before he rested his head against KiBum's back. "Right now I'll just try not to fall asleep and fall off the horse, you're comfy."

"If you need to, try and get some rest," KiBum said, glancing over his shoulder at him. "It's going to be a few hours before we stop again and I doubt we'll be able to get much sleep then."

"Sure you won't let me fall off?" Kevin tilting his head slightly to look up at KiBum.

"Yeah, I'm sure," KiBum said, smiling softly at him. His free hand went to Kevin's arm around his waist, holding tightly.

"Wake me up if you need a break," Kevin murmured, smiling in return before closing his eyes. He felt himself slowly drifting off, lulled to sleep.

 

 


 

 

Kyujong leaves, and returns! That was fast xD

Please comment, favorite and/or subscribe if you liked this chapter!

 

@Forever5501: KyuSaeng is one of the best ships ever >o< They are just so adorable.

@ping501: LOL well your reunion happened? XD Kevin really isn't happy with KyuJong though. You're right that KyuJong and HyungJoon are similar, though one's more openly hostile about it. This !verse hasn't been kind to any of them.

@ST01Now: Lol yes...the guitar XD It made an appearance again this chapter. This new member backfired on Youngsaeng, sadly. Everyone's out for themselves. 

@Forest_pixi: Oooo Yesung's coming back too?? I forgot about that *___* And lol Joonie's attitude... He and Kibum have been through a lot, it's left it's mark.