Chapter Twenty Four

The Road Less Traveled

It was a few hours before any of those who had gone to sleep would stir. KyuHyun had gone to sleep shortly after Zhou Mi had given KyuJong the cure, relieved it had worked but unable to stay awake any longer. He hadn't gotten any sleep either while he and Zhou Mi had been out, and was completely exhausted.

 

Upon waking up he felt a little better, though he felt like he could have slept straight into next year. Yawning and fixing his hair sticking up in all directions, he went to find the others. Or namely, find RyeoWook.

 

It took him a moment to locate the other man, keeping watch on JongWoon in a room down the hall. "Knock knock," he leaned into the doorway.

 

RyeoWook looked over to the door, seeming in mid conversation with JongWoon. "....Hey," he said, glancing at JongWoon before getting to his feet and going to the door. "What's up?"

 

"Just come to see how you are," KyuHyun shrugged, stepping into the room. "What's going on? He's not giving you any trouble?"

 

"No, he's not," RyeoWook said. "We're just talking. He's a nice guy, if not a little misguided."

 

"A little? He was gonna offer the brothers to the wolves," KyuHyun mused, looking down at RyeoWook. "You got some sleep last night, right?"

 

"I did," RyeoWook said. "Not a lot, but it's okay." His voice dropped a little. "I know what he did and said was wrong, but... I don't think he really understood what was going on. What they would do to the brothers if they got a hold of him. I really don't think he knows what would happen. He's not a bad guy."

 

KyuHyun frowned a little. "You're sure about that? He could just be pretending." He ran his hand through his hair. "It's not me you'd have to convince of that anyways, JungMin looks about ready to murder him every time he passes by this room. Maybe we could convince Saeng to just leave him tied up somewhere he'll be found when we leave."

 

"... I don't know, I think I can get through to him," RyeoWook said. "I don't think he's pretending KyuHyun. I mean... I don't think he's that bright," he whispered.

 

The archer couldn't help but snort at that. "Well…if you think you can. Just be careful in case," he clapped one hand on RyeoWook's shoulder. "I was gonna ask if you wanted to practice archery or something, but I guess you can't really leave him here alone huh."

 

"No, and no one else is volunteering to sit with him," RyeoWook said. "Why don't you go find Zhou Mi, see if he needs the company."

 

"Mm…I think I'll stay here," KyuHyun tilted his head to the side. "Unless you're kicking me out?"

 

"... I'm not going to kick you out, but I don't know if you really want to stay," RyeoWook said. "You going to be able to keep your tongue civil?"

 

"What are you talking about, I always keep my tongue civil," KyuHyun grinned widely in amusement.

 

RyeoWook made a face at him. "You get one warning, that's it," he said. "Be nice and don't try to provoke him, or me for that matter."

 

"You drive a hard bargain." KyuHyun rested his arm against RyeoWook's shoulder. "I don't provoke, I tease. With affection."

 

"Right," RyeoWook sighed, brushing KyuHyun's arm off and going back to sit down. "Fine, sit, talk."

 

Blinking when he was brushed off, KyuHyun frowned at RyeoWook's back. "…All right." He followed after the other man.

 

JongWoon looked between them, trying to find a comfortable spot against the wall with his hands still tied behind his back. "So uh…how much longer are we going to be here, do you think?"

 

"Couple of days, or until Zhou Mi thinks KyuJong will be okay to travel," RyeoWook said. "Not sure where we're going though."

 

"You're a merchant caravan, aren't you? Don't you have a trade route or something?" JongWoon asked.

 

"Well, we do sometimes," RyeoWook said. "Depends on what we're doing. But I wouldn't say we have a dedicated route or anything. We take whatever we can get."

 

KyuHyun listened to the two talk, not really chipping into the conversation. He'd thought his talk with RyeoWook before had cleared up any misunderstandings, but RyeoWook was clearly still mad at him for something. Not that he could figure out what. Sighing inwardly, he kept his silence rather than say anything that could piss the other man off even more. Maybe he should have just stayed asleep.

 

*************************

 

YoungSaeng ended up sleeping longer than he had planned when he'd lied down. The last few sleepless nights worrying about KyuJong had finally taken their toll, and he wasn't waking up for anything short of an earthquake.

 

By the time he did wake up, the first thing he noticed was how hungry he was. He must have slept right through a couple meals. Blinking tiredly, he sat up and rubbed his eyes as he looked around the room.

 

"Morning," Zhou Mi said, leaning up against the wall with his journal in his lap. "We weren't sure how long you were going to be asleep for. How are you feeling?"

 

"Rested," YoungSaeng replied, still waking up. His eyes found the bed beside him, the sight of KyuJong sleeping bringing a small smile to his lips. "Did I miss anything?"

 

"Not much," Zhou Mi said, closing his journal. "He woke up a little bit ago, drank some tea and a little bit of food. Wasn't awake long, but I think by the next time he wakes he'll be able to stay awake longer."

 

"Good…that's good," YoungSaeng murmured, slipping out of his bedroll and pulling his shoes on. He looked up again at Zhou Mi. "I don't know if I'll ever be able to thank you enough for helping him."

 

"I don't need any thanks," Zhou Mi said, waving away the offer. "Though I do have a proposition for you, if you'll hear it."

 

"Oh?" YoungSaeng scooted back to sit against the wall. "Go ahead."

 

"I have to go back to China," Zhou Mi said. "I have to bring back some materials to my mentor so he can develop a cure. I left two years ago with the promise if I returned, he'd make it for me. I know it's a lot to ask, and it's a long journey... but I have already been robbed several times, and now that I have what I need, I can't afford to lose what I have."

 

A small frown formed on YoungSaeng's lips as he considered Zhou Mi's words. It was a very long trip, and depending on where in China exactly Zhou Mi needed to go, it could be much longer. But he owed this man for saving KyuJong's life, and the prospect of finding a cure was…exciting. He hadn't honestly thought there would be a cure for at least a couple generations, definitely not in their lifetimes. But here was a very real chance.

 

"I'll need to talk it over with my crew," he said after a minute's thought. "But I think the least we could do is give you safe passage there. We'll need some supplies and trade before we leave, we're running low…but we'll get you to the border at the very least, farther if we can."

 

"Thank you, it would mean.... everything to me," Zhou Mi said, smiling at him. "And... if what I've been told is true, then I'll come back and give you all the cure. Especially KyuJong."

 

Smiling, YoungSaeng looked back at the sleeping KyuJong at that. "…Thank you. I hope for everyone's sake that a cure really can be made. Before anyone else dies from this."

 

"... Yeah," Zhou Mi nodded, looking down at his hands. "I think you deserve to know something about me YoungSaeng, before we travel all the way there."

 

"What's that?" YoungSaeng asked, head tilting slightly to one side.

 

"Two years ago the virus went rampant for me," Zhou Mi said. "Luckily by then I had the medicine and was able to take it quickly. But my time is almost up."

 

YoungSaeng's eyes widened, not expecting that. He couldn't see any sign of the virus around Zhou Mi's shirt, and hadn't suspected it might have started to kill him. "…How much longer do you have?" he asked quietly, eyes worried.

 

"A couple of months... just enough time to get back home," Zhou Mi said. "If the cure doesn't work, it'll be for nothing. But... I had to try, even if I wasted what time I had left going on a fool's errand... I think I'm okay with that."

 

"I hope for your sake, it works," YoungSaeng said quietly. "Does it still hurt even two years after? Or has it begun to hurt again now that your time's running out?"

 

"It still hurts, though you get used to the constant pain," Zhou Mi said. "Just to remind you that you are on borrowed time. It's hard to say if it's getting any worse, but I know it's coming."

 

YoungSaeng nodded slowly, gaze concerned. "Should I have Kevin make extra tea for you?"

 

"No, it's not so bad," Zhou Mi said. "The one who needs it the most is KyuJong until he can tolerate the pain."

 

"If you're sure," YoungSaeng replied with a small frown. "Just let me know if you need anything, I'll do what I can to help."

 

"I thank you for your concern YoungSaeng, but I'm not who you should worry about," Zhou Mi said. "KyuJong is going to have an adjustment to go through, I'd rather we all focus on what he needs."

 

YoungSaeng's lips quirked slightly. "Of course we'll be helping KyuJong when he wakes up. But you're now part of the crew too, Zhou Mi. I look after each of my own, not just my boyfriend."

 

"Well, I appreciate that," Zhou Mi said. "I'll let you know if there's anything I need."

 

Nodding, YoungSaeng rolled up his bedroll and pushed it into the corner. He sat down next to KyuJong's bed again, looking down at his boyfriend with a small smile. The discussion about leaving for China would have to wait until they were all on their feet again.

 

Off in another room, Kevin had noticed the passage of time through the room's only window. "Time to make another batch of tea," he sighed, straightening from where he'd been leaning against KiBum's side. "We're going to run out of herbs soon…"

 

"You think maybe we can find some around here?" KiBum replied, glancing towards the window. "Maybe YoungSaeng will let us go look around."

 

"I doubt there'll be any in the city, it's not exactly weeds we're looking for," Kevin frowned. "Should talk to Saeng though, depending on how long we're staying here some of us are going to have to leave the city to find it. Though I doubt he'll let the two of us go by ourselves." He stood up, stretching out his arms above his head as far as he could reach.

 

"Probably not," KiBum sulked, getting to his feet. "Maybe it's for the best you know? What if... what if JongWoon has a friend or something that's coming looking for him."

 

"Yeah…don't really want to be out there alone," Kevin looked at KiBum. Reaching out, he wrapped his arms around KiBum's waist. "Even if we were though, I'd protect you."

 

"Thanks," KiBum's lips quirked a little. "I don't know what I'd do without you Kevin... the past couple of days have been awful."

 

"They were…but we'll get through it, right?" Kevin kissed KiBum lightly. "You and me."

 

"... Yeah," KiBum nodded, though his eyes were downcast. "... Hey, um, I'll catch up to you okay? There's something I want to do first."

 

Leaning back, Kevin looked confused but nodded. "Okay. You know where I'll be," he stepped back, leaving the room and heading off to where their supplies were.

 

KiBum left the room as well, peaking in a few of the rooms as he wandered down the hall until he found what he was looking for. "... HyungJoon?" he said, knocking at the door frame and leaning in.

 

HyungJoon was sitting in the corner of the room nearest to the window, one of his blankets dumped on the floor in front of him like he'd been in the middle of sewing up some of the tears. His eyes opened at his little brother's voice, and he blinked repeatedly as he sat up straight. "KiBum? What's going on, is everything okay?"

 

"Yeah, everything's fine... I guess," KiBum said, stepping into the room. "I just... we haven't talked in a while and with everything that's happened... I guess I was just really missing you."

 

"…I missed you too," HyungJoon said quietly, watching him. "Kevin's not with you?" KiBum and Kevin were always glued together at the hip.

 

"No, he went to go make some tea for KyuJong," KiBum said, crossing his arms and leaning up against the wall. "He just said something that... made me think of you." He looked up at HyungJoon, chewing at his lip. "It was just us for so long. I thought it was always going to be just us, that no matter what you were going to be there. JongWoon showing up really kind of drove it home that we were... not as safe as I thought we were."

 

HyungJoon wasn't sure what to say, meeting his little brother's eyes. "I am always going to be here," he replied. "I promised that I'd keep you safe, no matter what. It might not be truly safe for us anywhere…but I won't let anything happen to you."

 

"I know, and I will always be grateful for that... you're the only person I know I can count on no matter what," KiBum said. "Even if I'm a terrible little brother who runs away from you, you still chase after me to make sure I'm okay. But as much as I know that I can rely on you... I'm still glad we are where we are right now."

 

The older brother didn't reply to that, looking down at the blanket by his feet. "…Are you happy?" he asked after a moment's pause. "With Kevin, with all these other people."

 

"... I am," KiBum said, moving closer to sit down in front of him. "I want you to be happy too hyung. They helped us... they didn't have to, especially when they found out about us. JungMin's ready to kill that guy..."

 

"I know he is," HyungJoon said quietly. "The only thing I need to be happy is my brother. I'm sorry, KiBum…I'm glad that you're happy, and that you found someone like Kevin who doesn't care about your secret. I just feel like I'm losing my little brother."

 

"Hyung... you're not going to lose me," KiBum said. "But... you are going to have to share me. And take some time for yourself, figure out what it is you really want. Your whole life can't be based around me."

 

HyungJoon didn't look up at KiBum. "I was fine with that…I was happy, with just the two of us. I think if it wasn't for you, I would have died a long time ago."

 

"But..." KiBum's shoulders slumped and he looked away. "But I wasn't happy hyung. I was miserable and resenting you. I felt like a prisoner. I know you didn't mean it and you just wanted to keep us safe, but what we have now is so much better."

 

"I get it." HyungJoon's eyes closed. "I'm glad that you're happier now, I am. Just…don't shut me out, okay?"

 

"I don't want to shut you out, I guess I just needed a little bit of space," KiBum said, reaching over to take his brother's hand. "We're brothers, nothing is going to change that. I'm only alive today because of you and I love you. I just need to be my own person too."

 

Opening his eyes again, HyungJoon looked down at their hands before curling his fingers around his brother's in return. A small smile quirked the corner of his lips. "You were always your own person. Even when you decided to chase rabbits around the forest on your scrawny kid legs and nearly gave me a heart attack, you were your own person and I wouldn't have it any other way."

 

KiBum returned the smile, squeezing his hand a little. "Good, cause I don't think I'm going to be changing any time soon."

 

HyungJoon's shoulders eased at those words. "Good." He slowly pulled his hand away. "I heard through the grapevine that you and Kevin were supposed to learn some outdoor survival stuff?"

 

"Yeah... didn't really happen though," KiBum said with a small laugh. "Things kind of went haywire after that. Maybe once we get back on the road... you can teach me some stuff? I probably should know more than I do, but you always wanted to take care of me and wouldn't let me do anything."

 

"…Not entirely my fault, you weren't very good at figuring out which end of the knife was the pointy end," HyungJoon replied, expression brightening at the request. "I'd be happy to teach you."

 

"And Kevin too?" KiBum asked, his head tilting a little.

 

Thinking about that, HyungJoon nodded his head after a moment. "And Kevin too," he smiled at his brother.

 

Kibum grinned at that. "Good... I really want you two to get along hyung. He's... really sweet."

 

"Well…I guess I should try talking to him more," HyungJoon mused. "Have to check if he's good enough for my little brother, after all."

 

"Don't be like that," KiBum rolled his eyes. "Far as you care, no one's good enough for me."

 

"That's right," HyungJoon chuckled. "I have high standards for who should be allowed to be with my brother…but he passed the first test of not giving you away at the first compound we went through."

 

"I told you he wouldn't," KiBum said. "It's not so bad trusting people... long as they're the right people. I trust Kevin a lot.. do you trust the others? Do you trust YoungSaeng?"

 

HyungJoon frowned at that, looking towards the window. "…I'm getting there. Most of them, not really, but I do trust YoungSaeng and JungMin."

 

"Me too... though I'm actually kind of surprised by JungMin," KiBum said. "I always thought he was kind of an opportunist you know? I thought he'd sell us out in a second if he thought it could help YoungSaeng."

 

"I thought so too," HyungJoon murmured; that had been the whole reason why he'd tried to get KiBum to leave. "But he hasn't yet, and he's had more than enough opportunity to. The others…we'll see."

 

"Yeah... but I'm hoping for the best," KiBum said. "I don't feel unwelcome here like we have everywhere else."

 

HyungJoon nodded slowly, closing his eyes. "I just hope it lasts."

 

KiBum sighed a little, looking down at his hands before getting to his feet. "I... should go help Kevin with the tea. Are you okay hyung?"

 

"Yeah," HyungJoon opened his eyes when KiBum stood. "I'm fine. Thanks for coming to talk…I missed talking to you."

 

"I missed talking to you too... I won't wait so long next time to come talk to you," KiBum said. "And... hyung? You can come talk to me too you know."

 

HyungJoon's lips quirked from side to side. "I wasn't sure if you wanted your big brother around to be a stick in the mud. But…I will."

 

"Of course I want you around, as long as you don't try to tell me what to do like I'm a little kid," KiBum said, watching him for a moment. "No matter what though, you're still my older brother."

 

"Good…cause even if you're all grown up now, and I talk to you like an adult, you'll always be my baby brother," HyungJoon nodded, ducking his head and turning his face away.

 

"I know," KiBum said, watching HyungJoon for a moment before stepping out into the hall and closing the door behind him. It may not have been a long talk, but he felt much better after having a conversation with his brother. Especially since it ended without them yelling at each other.

 

*****************************

 

A few days later, they were finally ready to move. They'd used the time to get some much-needed rest, not just KyuJong but all of them. Aside from watches and the occasional group leaving for food and herbs for Kevin's tea, they'd had plenty of time to take care of whatever small tasks needed to be done.

 

After a conversation with the whole group, it was decided that they'd Zhou Mi to China. The night before they were to set out, a route was plotted out that would take them north and through several compounds where they could trade. None of them had spent much time north of the former South and North Korea border, especially since it was such a bandit hotspot, but Zhou Mi and KyuHyun were able to point out safer areas of passage and compounds that would be more welcoming to travelers.

 

The first stop they'd make was along the Han River before they left Seoul, because they really needed a new horse as well as tradeable goods before they could head north. But before they could head out, there was one more thing they needed to take care of.

 

"You're going to keep a level head on your shoulders, right?" YoungSaeng asked JungMin as they stopped outside the door. "Not just chew him up and spit out the pieces?"

 

"I'll listen to what they have to say," JungMin said diplomatically. "If I like what I hear, I won't knock him unconscious and leave him for bandits. That work for you?"

 

"You're not going to knock him unconscious," YoungSaeng eyed the younger man. "Promise me you're not going to do anything rash, Min ah."

 

"I won't do anything rash," JungMin said with a sigh. "I'll be good if you're telling me to be good Saeng. Doesn't mean I like this, or agree with it."

 

"I know you don't, but regardless of where he comes from, he's an innocent person who has done nothing wrong to any of us. The very least we can do for him is hear him out before we toss him to the wolves." YoungSaeng squeezed JungMin's arm lightly before stepping into the room. He smiled at RyeoWook and JongWoon, the latter still with his hands tied. They had been tied in front of him though so he'd be at least a little more comfortable, and able to feed himself. "We have something we need to talk about before we head out."

 

"…You're not going to kill me are you," JongWoon was watching JungMin nervously.

 

"Are you going to give me a reason to?" JungMin said, crossing his arms over his chest.

 

"Just give him a chance, please?" RyeoWook said, looking between JungMin and YoungSaeng with a frown. "I've explained everything and I think he understands what's really going on."

 

Sighing, YoungSaeng walked over to them. He sat down across from JongWoon, meeting the older man's eyes. "And what do you understand?"

 

JongWoon shifted uncomfortably, looking down. "That what I was taught growing up was wrong," he said. "They never said anything about torture, or hurting people, when they said to keep an eye out for the brothers. They just said that we could be saved with the brothers' help, and…I never really thought about what that meant, I thought that meant they could just take a blood sample or something and everything would be okay. I didn't know they were going to hurt anyone."

 

"So you going to tell anyone, ever, about these two and what makes them different?" JungMin asked, watching JongWoon with pursed lips. "Do you really understand what could happen to them if other people know?"

 

"I'm not going to tell anyone," JongWoon shook his head. "I don't want anyone to die…and I know now that they could die if people found out. The only thing I wanted to do was help find a cure, but not on their lives."

 

JungMin didn't look convinced but he glanced at YoungSaeng first before looking back at JongWoon. "Alright. But don't think we won't be watching you until you've proven yourself."

 

"So…you're not going to kill me?" JongWoon asked warily.

 

YoungSaeng shook his head. "No, no one's killing you. But we're going to keep an eye on you a little while longer. We're heading north towards China…if you really are interested in helping to find a cure, you'll come with us."

 

"Really?" JongWoon perked up. "Sure! I mean, as long as I'm not going to spend the whole time tied up in the back of the caravan."

 

"Don't do anything stupid, and we won't have any problems," JungMin said, already walking away. "Let's get going Saeng, I want to be past the river before sundown."

 

"Yes, yes," YoungSaeng rolled his eyes. "Hold out your hands." When JongWoon did, he untied the rope from around the older man's wrist and stood. "Wook, get him to help bringing supplies down to the caravan, I'll round up some of the others to help."

 

"Yes boss," RyeoWook said, grinning at JongWoon and nudging him a little. "See, I told you it'd be okay. Saeng's a nice guy."

 

"The other one still looks like he's thinking of cutting me up into little pieces though," YoungSaeng heard JongWoon mumble as he left the room, shaking his head in amusement.

 

"JungMin, go find wherever Joon's holed himself up this time," he said. "If you run into the kids, tell them to help out."

 

"Yes boss," JungMin said, heading towards the stairs. Reaching the room where he had seen HyungJoon last, he knocked on the door and opened it a crack. "Joon?"

 

"Over here." HyungJoon was standing behind JungMin in the doorway just across the hall, looking vaguely amused. "That room had a weird smell. We're heading out?"

 

Blinking a little, JungMin glanced over his shoulder. "Yeah... hey I just wanted to warn you that Saeng agreed to let JongWoon ride with us... and he won't be tied up anymore. You going to be okay with that?"

 

The faint smile faded from HyungJoon's face. "…Why is he staying with us? Is he going to be with us the whole way to China?"

 

"Up to him, but Saeng said he could," JungMin said. "Not going to let him do anything to you, and I told him as much. He said he understood and he wasn't going to do anything to you, but I'm not trusting your or KiBum's life to his word."

 

HyungJoon looked very uncomfortable at the news, but nodded. "…Okay. We'll keep an eye on him. He better not go anywhere near KiBum."

 

"We'll make sure he doesn't," JungMin said. "I told you I'd keep you safe, I mean that."

 

"I'm holding you to that," HyungJoon replied, stepping out into the hallway. "What does YoungSaeng need me to do?"

 

"Help get all the stuff in the caravan, find your brother and his boyfriend before they get left behind," JungMin said.

 

"I think I saw them a floor down," HyungJoon nodded. Glancing down the hallway and seeing it completely empty, he leaned in and brushed his lips against JungMin's lightly before turning to head down the stairs. "I'll go get them."

 

"Meet you downstairs," JungMin said, lips quirking a little before heading down back out to the caravan.

 

Back down the hallway, YoungSaeng had located KyuHyun and Zhou Mi and sent them to help out. There was only one person left, and YoungSaeng stepped into the room KyuJong had spent the last few days resting in with a small smile. "Ready to head down, Kyu yah?"

 

"Good time as any I guess," KyuJong said, sitting up and holding tightly onto the side of the bed. "You going to help me down the stairs?"

 

"I am," YoungSaeng nodded, walking over. "We'll get you set up in the bed in the caravan." Kneeling down beside the bed, he cupped KyuJong's jaw. "You have to let me know if it gets too painful, all right?"

 

"I'll be fine Saeng," KyuJong quirked his lips a little. "The faster this gets done the better, right?" Covering YoungSaeng's hand with his own, he leaned up to give him a kiss. "Help me up."

 

Returning the kiss, YoungSaeng smiled widely; he'd missed KyuJong's soft kisses and gentle touch in the time he'd been ill. "You still have to tell me if it hurts too much," he chided before shifting to help KyuJong to his feet. He secured one of the younger man's arms around his shoulders, his own arm around KyuJong's waist.

 

Hissing a little, KyuJong had to wait a moment before he was ready to go, his legs feeling like jelly. "This is a little humiliating," he grumbled, leaning heavily against YoungSaeng as they shuffled towards the door.

 

"You'll be moving around on your own in no time," YoungSaeng reassured, taking it slowly. "You just need more rest. A couple days ago you couldn't even sit up…you're making great improvement." He kept a careful eye on his boyfriend, ready to catch him should KyuJong's legs give out.

 

"I guess... Zhou Mi give any indication of how long it would take before I'm more recovered?" KyuJong asked, eyeing the upcoming stairs warily.

 

"Somewhere around a week," YoungSaeng replied. "It's a long trip to China, we've got the time." They stopped at the top of the stairs, YoungSaeng waiting for KyuJong to be ready. "Tell me if you're not okay for this Kyu yah, I can carry you down."

 

"It's okay Saeng... best way for me to get my strength back is to work at it," KyuJong said. "Just... don't let me fall."

 

"Never letting you fall." YoungSaeng kissed KyuJong's cheek lightly. "Promise."

 

Giving YoungSaeng a strained smile, KyuJong used the wall to keep himself steady on one side, and YoungSaeng on his other side to keep himself upright. It was very slow going, taking one step at a time until they made it to the ground floor. He had to rest for a moment, panting heavily as he leaned his head on YoungSaeng's shoulder until he could breathe easier and it didn't feel like his heart was going to explode in his chest.

 

KyuJong didn't even realize JungMin had come down the stairs behind them until he heard the other man speak. "Hey, you need some help getting him into the caravan Saeng?"

 

"I've got him, thanks Min ah," YoungSaeng said, rubbing KyuJong's back in slow circles. He could feel KyuJong's body shaking with each breath. "You did amazing" he murmured, pressing a soft kiss to the younger man's neck. "Want a lift to the caravan?"

 

"... I think I may need to be carried in," KyuJong said breathlessly. "I can't feel my legs again."

 

"All right, hold on." YoungSaeng made sure KyuJong was steady before turning around, crouching to help get KyuJong onto his back. Once the younger man was secure, he held onto KyuJong's legs and walked towards the garage where the caravan was being kept.

 

It took JungMin's help to lift KyuJong up into the bed of the caravan and he sank gratefully onto the made up bed in the back. It was a view he was very familiar with at that point, staring up at the cloth tarp covering the frame. "Saeng... "

 

"I'm right here." YoungSaeng sat down at the edge of the bed, looking down at KyuJong. He could hear the others getting ready outside, the horses snorting and pawing at the floor impatiently. "What is it?"

 

"No stairs for a while, kay?" KyuJong whispered, closing his eyes. "Too tired."

 

YoungSaeng chuckled, smiling softly down at him. "Deal. No stairs for a while." He leaned down, pressing a kiss to KyuJong's lips. "Rest well, Kyu yah. Love you."

 

"You too," KyuJong replied, his body going limp under the blankets.

 

"Ready to go boss?" JungMin asked quietly from the back of the caravan.

 

"Yeah," YoungSaeng nodded, standing. He made his way to the front of the caravan, sitting down on the bench. "Everyone's been accounted for?"

 

"All present," KyuHyun said, finishing hitching the team horses together.

 

"Then let's get out of here."

 

The group moved out a slow pace, keeping closer to the main shops of the city and avoiding the abandoned areas beyond. They were lucky when they found an old man looking to be rid of his horse, willing to trade the older gelding for some medicines that Zhou Mi had. It was decided that RyeoWook would be best riding the horse since Zhou Mi declined and YoungSaeng was pretty sure the horse would kill KyuHyun.

 

It was less crowded in the caravan, which was good for KyuJong who was still recovering and was taking up most of the room. Kevin opting to ride with KiBum so he wasn't in the way and Kevin still looked unnerved by the events of the past week.

 

By the time they reached the Imjin river north of Seoul, KyuJong was feeling up to finally sitting on the front bench with YoungSaeng, though the dark shadows under his eyes were still present. KiBum did his best to avoid looking at KyuJong and the red thread like veins that were just to his jaw. JungMin had called for a stop as they reached one of the few bridges in use.

 

"This thing doesn't look very stable, Saeng," JungMin said, testing the planks and eyeing the wooden supports underneath. "We may have to go around."

 

"…Going around would put us a week off course," YoungSaeng frowned, but he was eyeing the bridge nervously too.

 

"One week longer and we'll be heading into winter," KyuHyun poked his head out of the caravan. Spending winter in North Korea wasn't an enjoyable prospect for anyone.

 

YoungSaeng passed the reins to KyuJong and got down off the caravan, walking to where JungMin was beside the bridge. Testing the railings, he was glad those at least seemed stable. He looked down at the supports and had to step back away from the edge, skin a little paler. "Would rather deal with winter than fall down that drop."

 

"We can test the bridge before sending the caravan across," HyungJoon stopped on JungMin's other side.

 

"A week could turn into a month if we get stuck in a snow storm. We don't have that kind of time," JungMin said, his brow furrowed. "Someone needs to stay with the caravan to help the horses cross."

 

"I'll do it," KiBum volunteered. Since he and Kevin had got into so much trouble he'd been trying to show YoungSaeng and the others he was responsible, with little success. "I mean... it seems easy enough, and Kevin could ride with HyungJoon over the bridge, if that's okay with you hyung."

 

"Uh…" HyungJoon looked back at them with a frown. "Sure."

 

"Are you sure you're up for that?" KyuHyun snorted as Kevin slid down off the horse. "I mean, you'll be on your own for the whole thing, the boss is scared witless of heights."

 

"…Don't make me tie to you the horse's tail," YoungSaeng pointed at KyuHyun threateningly as he walked back to the caravan.

 

'Yeah, I can do it, no problem," KiBum said, sitting a little straighter in the saddle.

 

"Not like you can't help steer, KyuHyun," JungMin said. "Help out for once instead of making snide comments about what other people are doing."

 

"I'm not letting him steer, he'll send us off the bridge on purpose." YoungSaeng climbed back onto the caravan's bench, holding his hands out for the reins again. "KyuHyun go read a book or something."

 

HyungJoon waited until Kevin was settled on the horse behind him before stepping out onto the bridge. His horse whinnied and danced a little nervously before he calmed her and started across the bridge. The wood creaked ominously below them, but held. "Seems fine."

 

"We'll go single file," JungMin said. "Wook, you'll go next and I'll bring up the rear. Saeng, wait till we're halfway across before you start okay?"

 

"Be careful," YoungSaeng frowned, watching the bridge warily as HyungJoon kept going.

 

"I will," JungMin nodded, motioning for RyeoWook follow after HyungJoon before turning to KiBum. "Hold the lead lines steady and horses heads up. Don't let them look down. They'll trust you won't lead them off a cliff, but the second they look down, that's it."

 

"Got it," KiBum nodded, taking up his position next to the lead horse of the caravan team. JungMin waited a few moments before leading his horse onto the bridge, keeping his horse at a slow pace so she didn't fall through anywhere.

 

Up ahead, HyungJoon was approaching the middle of the bridge. Kevin could feel the whole structure swaying a little as they went, and had buried his face in HyungJoon's back. "Why's the bridge moving?"

 

"It has to have a little give built into it to be stable," HyungJoon murmured, keeping an eye on the planks warily. Some of the planks were rotted around the edges. "Where's JungMin, I don't think this is going to hold the caravan's weight." He'd turned around in his saddle to see how far back JungMin was when the structure shook, wood groaning below them.

 

"," JungMin cursed when he heard a grating snapping noise just off to his side, one of the supports. JungMin's horse shook it's head in frustration, dancing a little when the bridge started to tilt to the side. "Move HyungJoon! Get across!"

 

"Hold on Kevin!" HyungJoon kicked his horse's sides and burst into a gallop. Kevin shut his eyes tightly and held on, listening to the pounding of hooves on wood and a dull snapping from below and behind them.

 

Suddenly the sound of hooves on wood was gone, and he opened his eyes to see they had made it to the other side of the bridge. HyungJoon wheeled the horse around, eyes wide. "Come on RyeoWook!"

 

RyeoWook, who was not an experienced rider, had his arms thrown around his horses neck and holding on for dear life. He didn't even notice when they had made it across and his horse kept running into the tree line.

 

Last across, JungMin reined his horse in to a halt, he turned just in time to see the last third of the bridge give way and fall into the river below. "... ."