Chapter Twenty

The Road Less Traveled

"What's that sound?"

 

YoungSaeng blinked at Kevin, who was riding with KiBum again. After a moment he smiled knowingly. "That's the ocean."

 

Two days later they'd finally reached the coastline, coming out of the forest on a path that slowly headed northwest. It was one of the better paths, the others all leading into bandit-claimed territory south of Seoul or to compounds he would rather avoid if they had the choice.

 

"The ocean?" Kevin perked up at that, trying to lean over KiBum's shoulder to see ahead of them. He could hear waves crashing against rocks farther up, a loud rumble in the air.

 

"We'll be there soon enough, don't wiggle," KiBum said, nudging Kevin a little to keep him still. "You'll spook the horse."

 

"This was a good time of year to come this way Saeng," JungMin said, sitting his horse at the edge of the bluff. "In the warmer months, smugglers use these coves to bring in pirated goods from China, but the ocean's too turbulent to even try this time of year."

 

"I know. And I don't know about you, but after the mess in Gwangju last time we passed near there, I'd rather take the coast up through Ansan instead. At least it's quieter." YoungSaeng turned the horse into the path that headed down the length of the bluff. Despite his words, his grip on the reins was a little white-knuckled. "Or as quiet as anywhere near Seoul could be."

 

"I'll take the quiet near Seoul over anywhere else," JungMin said. "At least there's some kind of order around the city, not just farmers with guns."

 

"I don't know, sometimes I'd rather deal with the farmers with guns," YoungSaeng murmured.

 

"Oh wow," Kevin's eyes widened as they were finally close enough to the bluff's edge to look over into the ocean on the other side. It was an endless expanse of blue water against blue sky, with the faint outline of land in the distance. "There's just so much water!" It put the small rivers and streams he'd seen until then to shame.

 

"Yeah... it just goes on forever," KiBum said. "Can you imagine what it looks like on the other side? There's whole other continents out there, and people all over the place just like us."

 

"I hope not," JungMin snorted. "Would mean everyone else in the world is as miserable as the rest of us."

 

YoungSaeng half-listened for KyuHyun's voice; the archer would have never missed a chance like that to snipe at JungMin. But he could only hear Mandarin from inside the caravan. Apparently talking in the foreign language beat out getting into a yelling match with JungMin. "Lead the way down, Min ah," YoungSaeng frowned nervously at the path down to the coves. It seemed thinner than he remembered. "Make sure we're not going to fall into the ocean."

 

"It doesn't look that bad," HyungJoon said from their side, looking down the path that left plenty of room for the caravan without going near the edge.

 

"Yes boss," JungMin said, turning his horse around to come up beside the team horses. One hand steady on his horse's reins and the other taking the lead team horse by the bridle, he slowly led the caravan down the steep trail.

 

KiBum dropped back to follow the caravan down, though most of his attention was on the ocean. "Maybe they'll let us sleep out on the beach tonight," he said, glancing at Kevin out of the corner of his eye.

 

"Do you think we can?" Kevin's eyes brightened, a wide smile on his face as he watched the waves below. "We should ask. That would be so cool. Do you think the water's too cold to swim?"

 

"Yeah, definitely too cold," KiBum nodded, letting out a wistful sigh. "Besides, you saw how HyungJoon reacted the last time I thought we could go swimming," he murmured. "We'll see if YoungSaeng says it's okay."

 

"Oh," Kevin deflated; he'd forgotten about the last time they'd tried to go swimming. Of course now he knew the reason behind it, and could sort of understand why HyungJoon had stopped KiBum from going swimming then. "Yeah, we'll see. You know it was a good thing we picked up a lot of those herbs before we left the forest," he frowned, unable to see any of the plants growing around the bluff. "We should take care of that tea before wandering off."

 

"Yeah, we will," KiBum nodded. "We told Saeng we're going to be more responsible, so that's what we'll do. It really seemed to help KyuJong."

 

"Yeah, it did," Kevin nodded. "My mom was the only one in our compound who knew how to make it, every day she would head out and visit people who had the virus and give them the tea so they wouldn't be in pain. And yet when she was sick with it...none of the families she helped so much as visited."

 

"Seems to be how things go," KiBum said. "No one wants help anyone else out, even if they do a lot of good for everyone. But she taught you how to make it, so that's something right?"

 

"Yeah," Kevin murmured. "I was so angry at them after she died though, for how little they cared about her. I didn't tell anyone I knew how to make it, and didn't make any of the tea for anyone who was sick with the virus afterwards. Thinking back on it, I don't think mom would have wanted me to ignore them like that, I let her down."

 

"Can't blame you though," KiBum replied. "I would be angry too. If HyungJoon was in trouble and someone could help him and they didn't? I don't know if I would forgive them."

 

Nodding, Kevin looked away from the ocean and to the back of KiBum's head. "It's not a way to live though, staying angry all the time…we're only here for so long. I think I'm going to talk to KyuJong once we've stopped."

 

KiBum blinked at that, keeping himself focused on what he was doing. "What? I thought you didn't want anything to do with him?" he said.

 

"I was mad at him, and I still kind of am," Kevin frowned. "But if he…if anything happens, I don't think I'd be able to live with myself if I didn't at least talk to him. He means a lot to me."

 

"... Oh," KiBum's eyes dimmed. "I guess I really didn't know he meant that much to you," he said quietly. "Better ask YoungSaeng before you do anything though."

 

"I'm hoping I'll be able to use the tea to bribe my way into the caravan," Kevin chuckled softly.

 

By the time they made it down the path and to the cove, YoungSaeng was looking a little shaken on the front bench. He sighed softly in relief once they were on solid ground again. "Let's find a good spot to set up camp."

 

"HyungJoon and I will scout out one of these caverns," JungMin nodded, pointing up a little bit down the cliff face. "Should be one here we can all fit in."

 

"All right, we'll wait out here," YoungSaeng nodded, leaning back against the bench. HyungJoon steered around the caravan to where JungMin was.

 

JungMin glanced at HyungJoon, giving him a once over before nudging his horse towards the nearest cave he could see.

 

It took the two nearly half an hour to make sure the coves were clear before returning to where they'd left the caravan. Once they'd guided the caravan to the cave they'd picked out, the others started setting up camp. YoungSaeng got KyuHyun out of the caravan and sent him with HyungJoon to get firewood from the trees on top of the bluff, while KiBum and Kevin sat down and worked on grinding the herbs necessary for the tea.

 

After the fire was started and they'd boiled a pot of water over the fire, Kevin poured out a cup of tea and cradled it in both hands as he stood. "I'll be back then," he smiled at KiBum before walking to the caravan where YoungSaeng was. "Uh…I was wondering if I could give him the tea myself today."

 

Looking down at the younger man, YoungSaeng nodded after a moment. "Check with Zhou Mi before waking him up."

 

"Yes boss." Kevin headed into the caravan, slowly approaching the bed. "How is he?" He asked quietly.

 

"Pretending to be asleep," Zhou Mi said, not looking up from where he was scribbling notes in a journal. "He thinks if he lays there long enough I'll go away and then he can sit up and do things he's not supposed to."

 

"You can always tell on him," Kevin's lips quivered. "I don't think YoungSaeng hyung would be very happy to know he's not resting properly."

 

"Traitors," KyuJong muttered, opening one eye to look up at Kevin and Zhou Mi. "I'm not doing anything."

 

"Of course not," Zhou Mi said. "Was there something I could help you with Kevin?"

 

"I have tea for him," the younger man smiled brightly, lifting the cup up a little. "I can watch him for a bit if you want to stretch your legs, you haven't gotten out of the caravan yet. We're in a cave, and you can hear the ocean!"

 

Zhou Mi finally looked up at that, looking between Kevin and the tea in his hands. "If this is just a ploy to get me to leave so KyuJong can run off somewhere, I won't be happy," he said, wagging a stern finger at Kevin.

 

"Why would I do that," Kevin widened his eyes innocently. "I just got out of trouble with YoungSaeng hyung, I don't want to be grounded again so quickly."

 

"Then you're smart," Zhou Mi chuckled, closing his journal and shifting to stand up. "Alright, just a few minutes then I'll be back. Don't think I won't know if you've done something silly like getting out of bed," he warned KyuJong before leaving the caravan.

 

"... I don't even know this guy and he's giving me orders," KyuJong grumbled, looking to Kevin. "Saeng not want to see me today?"

 

"I asked if I could bring you the tea today," Kevin approached the bed, kneeling down beside it. "He'll probably be here later. How are you feeling, hyung?"

 

"Better," KyuJong said, watching him. "They tell me it was because of you that this miracle tea is even here. I.. guess I owe you a thanks."

 

Smiling a little, Kevin looked down at the cup of tea. "Remember I told you about my ma? This was how we kept her comfortable, when she had the virus. It's not a cure or anything…but it takes the edge off the pain at least. Do you need help sitting up?"

 

"I think I got it," KyuJong said, wincing a little as he scooted up and sat back against the wall of the caravan. The red veins had creeped up to the side of his neck, just barely visible above his shirt collar. "So... why'd you decide to pay me a visit? I wasn't sure if you wanted anything to do with me anymore."

 

Kevin waited until KyuJong was settled before holding out the cup of tea for him. Eyes going to the lines of red peeking up over his collar, he looked back up at the older man's face once he spoke. "Well…" Kevin looked away, not really sure what to say. "I am still mad at you, for leaving. Even when you got back you never said anything to me at all. Which is…understandable I guess, I'm just the kid you nearly tripped over one day. But I didn't want to leave it like that, without saying anything."

 

Sipping at the tea, KyuJong thought as Kevin spoke, brow furrowing a little. "Would you believe me if I said I was just a coward?" he finally said after a moment. "I didn't want to talk to you because I couldn't face you after leaving... knowing I'd disappointed you."

 

Kevin sat down properly on the caravan floor, legs folded in front of him and elbows on his knees. "If you hadn't have gotten sick, would you have ever talked to me, hyung?" he asked quietly.

 

"Honestly? I don't know," KyuJong said, looking up at him. "It's hard to say what I would do in any situation right now. But let me ask you the same... would you have come to me if I wasn't dying?"

 

"I don't know either," Kevin murmured, looking down at the bed. "I thought you just didn't care about me at all, and was so mad. Not talking to you was trying to get back at you for that."

 

"I did care about you Kevin... and I didn't say goodbye because it was some misguided attempt to protect you," KyuJong said. "I could see you were getting attached to having me around, and how much you looked up to me... I couldn't handle that kind of responsibility."

 

"Protect me? Really?" Kevin glanced at KyuJong. "Are you sure you were protecting me and not yourself?"

 

KyuJong snorted a laugh, lips quirked sadly. "No. I know why I did it, it's just what I told myself to justify what I did. I'm sorry."

 

"I'm sorry too, for not coming to talk to you sooner," Kevin replied. "Being attached isn't a bad thing, hyung."

 

"Depends on how you look at it," KyuJong shrugged. "None of you would be having to worry about me right now if I hadn't come back."

 

"No, we'd just be angry about you leaving without so much as a goodbye. We also wouldn't have had the happier moments since you came back, and you'd be somewhere by yourself going through this completely alone," Kevin frowned at him.

 

"There's a part of me that would rather go through this alone Kevin," KyuJong said, closing his eyes. "It's not fair to YoungSaeng or the rest of you to watch me wither away and die like this. I know it hurts to lose someone you care about in this way."

 

"And we don't?" Kevin asked quietly. "I watched my mom die, KyuJong. I sat there by her bed every day and made her the tea because it was the only way she could sleep properly, while the rest of the compound pretended we didn't exist. I helped my dad bury her. The others don't talk about their past often, but KyuHyun's mentioned his dad died of the virus too, and YoungSaeng's still trying to fix that broken guitar. But even if it hurts, no one's talked about kicking you out, not a single person."

 

"I didn't say you would kick me out," KyuJong sighed. "Maybe it just hurts too much to know that I'm dying and you all get to go on without me. Maybe I'm just a little bitter about that."

 

"I'm sorry, hyung," the younger man's shoulders slumped. "If there was any way for us to help you, we would do it. I don't want you to go...we haven't even talked all that much. I feel like I wasted so much time by being mad."

 

"It's inevitable," KyuJong said. "We always waste so much time, right up until the end. Keeping secrets, being angry... in the end none of it really matters. If there's one thing you can really learn from me Kevin, it's not to wait until it's too late to do the right thing."

 

"I'm learning that, and I won't forget it," Kevin nodded. "Who told you that? Or did you learn it by yourself?"

 

"Someone once told me that, a long time ago," KyuJong said, his lips quirked sadly. "He died just a couple of days later, and I never told him how much I really loved him."

 

Kevin's eyes saddened and he bit his lower lip, looking down. "…Tell me about him?" he asked quietly after a moment, looking back up at KyuJong's face.

 

"Not much to tell," KyuJong shrugged. "We grew up together. I was closer to him than to my parents. I haven't even been able to say his name out loud since he died."

 

"You were both from that compound we went through before? Yesan?" Kevin drew his legs up to his chest.

 

"Born and raised," KyuJong nodded. "We spent most of our time growing up sitting on the wall behind the church. It was hard to see us from the road there and we could look out at the forest. We imagined a world where we could be free to visit other places, to see what was on the other side of the hill."

 

The younger man nodded slowly, listening to KyuJong intently. "So you left the compound together?" Kevin asked

 

"Not by choice. No... we were found out, by my father of all people," KyuJong said, his brow furrowing a little. "You told me your father put a gun in your hand and pushed you out of the compound to save your life. My father pushed me out of the compound with a gun at my back, hoping I would die on my own."

 

"…Oh," Kevin's eyes slowly widened. "That's horrible though…how could someone do that to their son? I…I'm sorry hyung, no one should go through that," he said quietly, hands curling into fists in his lap. "It isn't fair to do that to someone cause they fell in love."

 

"People are scared," KyuJong said, his eyes closing as he took in a deep breath. "It's what happens when you live in isolation for so long. Yesan is a christian community, who believed god was punishing us all for our sins. They believe that people like us brought the virus. My father showed me mercy compared to what I had seen them do to strangers who they thought were sinners. We were lucky to get out of there alive."

 

"It doesn't make it right to do what he did though," Kevin murmured. "People in my compound stopped believing a long time ago, but the adults weren't very nice either. But it was still home…why are we living like this? Shouldn't we all be working together, not suspecting each other? Killing each other?"

 

"Wish I had an answer for you Kevin," KyuJong whispered, his voice strained. "I... I can't help thinking they're..." he trailed off, his face crumpling in pain as he pressed a hand against his chest.

 

"Hyung?" Kevin's eyes widened and he scrambled to his feet. Catching the tea cup before it could roll off the bed and break, he put it on the table and rubbed KyuJong's back. "YoungSaeng hyung!" he called loudly.

 

YoungSaeng hurried into the caravan, worried. "What's wrong? KyuJong?"

 

"It's too much even with the tea, I need help to lie him down," Kevin said. YoungSaeng reached the bed and the two of them eased KyuJong down onto the bed.

 

KyuJong couldn't help the cry of pain, even if the hands were gentle that helped him lay down. Everything hurt, like a fire ripping through his chest. "...Saeng," he whimpered, wishing he could move a hand to reach out to the older man. As it was, he couldn't even hold onto consciousness, blacking out before he was fully settled on the pillow.

 

By that time, Zhou Mi was climbing into the back of the caravan. "Kevin, you should wait outside," he said softly, looking down at KyuJong in concern.

 

"But…but I can help," Kevin protested, standing back out of the way.

 

"Just go Kevin, thank you," YoungSaeng looked back at the youngest. Kevin gulped and left. Turning back to KyuJong, YoungSaeng smoothed the younger man's sweat-matted hair out of his face with a shaking hand. "Is there anything we can do, Zhou Mi?"

 

"I can look and see what I have, I may be able to give him something for the pain," Zhou Mi said. "But it's going to leave him unconscious most of the time, and very groggy and disoriented when he is awake." Kneeling down next to the bed, Zhou Mi pulled the covers down a little. "It could be worse for him, it may be painful but it's not spreading as much as it could be. The best we can do for him is to get to Seoul as quickly as possible."

 

Looking down at KyuJong, YoungSaeng nodded. "We're continuing on first thing in the morning…if only we didn't have to take the coastline, but bandit territory is too risky to plow right through. If you can give him anything for the pain…please." KyuJong had to make it until Seoul.

 

Nodding silently, Zhou Mi pulled out his bag of supplies and opened it. Medical supplies where few and far between, most of his things had been stolen from him on the road but at least he had something. Pulling out a tiny vial and a syringe, he prepped KyuJong's arm before injecting a small dose into him. "I wish I could give him more than this, but I want to be able to make this last. You'll understand if I don't tell you what I gave him or where I keep these yes?"

 

YoungSaeng frowned before nodding. "As much as I might not like it, I do understand. Thank you for helping him, you didn't have to." He smoothed out the blankets absently.

 

"My entire life has been about finding a cure, why wouldn't I help someone who was in need of it?" Zhou Mi said, smiling softly at him as cleaned up his gear. "I'll be outside if you need me."

 

"All right," YoungSaeng glanced at Zhou Mi's back as the chinese man headed out of the caravan. Looking back at KyuJong, he leaned in to press a soft kiss to KyuJong's lips, hoping it would help even if just a little to fight the virus slowly killing his boyfriend.

 

********************************

 

As peaceful as the beach was, they were all packed and ready to go by the time the sun rose over the horizon. Kevin looked back longingly at the beach as they made their way up the path towards the bluffs. The ocean was beautiful, and he hoped he'd get another chance to see it again one day. He made KiBum promise they'd come back not because his boyfriend could really control if they did or not, but more to make him feel better than anything.

 

They passed into what used to be Gyeonggi Province shortly before nightfall, and from there it took them another three days to reach Ansan. Their stop in Ansan was short, taking only enough time to reload on supplies before continuing on the route to Seoul. Trading wasn't their priority anymore, and no one really had the heart to point out to YoungSaeng they'd need to do some serious trading after reaching Seoul if they were to break even. Getting to Seoul was what was most important just then…even if they all avoided thinking about what could happen when they got there.

 

"How is he?" KyuHyun asked from his corner of the caravan. He was watching KyuJong and Zhou Mi over the edge of his book, lips pulled into a frown.

 

"He'll make it to Seoul," Zhou Mi replied, glancing over at KyuJong who was still unconscious. He'd only been awake for a few minutes at the most, just to get him to drink and eat what little he could. "That's the important part. What happens after that... I don't know."

 

KyuHyun watched KyuJong before sighing and closing his book. "Be honest. Do you think he's going to make it?" He asked, keeping the conversation in Mandarin to avoid YoungSaeng overhearing.

 

"I think he will," Zhou Mi nodded. "But that doesn't mean he'll be cured. The treatment just delays what's going to happen, for how long I don't know. Weeks, months... a year at the most. But he'll be scarred KyuHyun. Those marks aren't going to fade back into the black spot we all have."

 

"…It's better than nothing," KyuHyun sighed. "Even if he only gets another couple months out of it, it's more than he would have had without. Does it help with the pain too?"

 

"It does," Zhou Mi said. "I wouldn't want to put anyone through a lifetime of living with that kind of pain. It's worse than dying."

 

"I think death would be welcome at that point." KyuHyun gave Zhou Mi a wry smile before looking towards the front of the caravan. Once again RyeoWook was sitting out on the front bench with YoungSaeng. "Hey Wook, what're you doing up there?" he called.

 

RyeoWook's shoulders visibly tensed and he turned around to look at KyuHyun, glancing at Zhou Mi out of the corner of his eye. "I'm having a nice conversation with YoungSaeng," he said. "Least I can understand him when he talks."

 

KyuHyun frowned a little at that. "You wanted to learn Mandarin anyways, didn't you? Come back here, we'll teach you."

 

"No thanks, I'm fine where I'm at," RyeoWook said, turning back around.

 

"I don't think he likes me that much," Zhou Mi said quietly.

 

"I don't get why, you're great," KyuHyun watched RyeoWook's back. "I thought he wanted to learn Mandarin…guess not."

 

"You think I'm great?" Zhou Mi asked, head tilting to the side as his lips curled up in amusement. "I confess KuiXian, I think you're great too."

 

"Of course I'm great," KyuHyun sniffed, though he smiled at that. "How could you doubt that? I mean, wait until this lot needs to look up vital information in a library, they'll be begging me for help then."

 

"Yes... It's not every day you run into someone not only can read, but is also adorable," Zhou Mi said. "Most people I've met who can read are all far too old for me."

 

Blinking, KyuHyun snorted quietly. "Being adorable is for kids, I'm not adorable," he switched into Korean. "But I'll take not being old and wrinkled as a compliment? You're not that wrinkly yourself."

 

"Of course I'm not wrinkled, didn't I tell you I have found the fountain of youth?" Zhou Mi chuckled. "It's called young korean men."

 

"So you lure them in and the youth out of them?" KyuHyun grinned mischievously. "Should I be worried?"

 

"Not at all, they usually enjoy it," Zhou Mi said, leaning forward a little, his voice dropping even lower. "Maybe next time the caravan stops, I can show you how it works?"

 

"Hmmm." KyuHyun tilted his head slightly. He knew full well when he was being flirted with. "I might have to think about that. Before I step into the lion's den."

 

"The offer stands," Zhou Mi said with a small shrug. "But don't think too long, or I'll think you're not interested in... keeping up on your vitality."

 

"Noted," the archer smirked slightly, opening his book again and finding the page he was on. Settling down to keep reading, he glanced towards the front of the caravan again out of the corner of his eyes.

 

Sitting up in front with RyeoWook, YoungSaeng could hear what was being said behind them, just as he was sure RyeoWook could. "Well, they're speaking in Korean now," he frowned slightly, glancing at RyeoWook.

 

"Not really an improvement if they're going to be disgusting like that," RyeoWook said, his jaw working a little. "You mind if I ride with JungMin for a little bit?"

 

"Sure Wook, go ahead," YoungSaeng replied, eyes worried. "You know you can talk to me if something's bothering you."

 

"I appreciate that boss, but you've got enough to worry about right now," RyeoWook said, smiling sadly at him before looking to where JungMin was riding ahead of them. He was about to call the other man back to the caravan, but he was already turning around and coming towards them.

 

"Hold up Saeng, there's someone sleeping on the side of the road," JungMin said, his expression concerned. "I'll take HyungJoon and check it out."

 

"I want to go," RyeoWook said, sitting up straighter. "Take me instead."

 

"Uh..." JungMin glanced at YoungSaeng with a perked brow. "Boss?"

 

Looking between them, YoungSaeng sighed and nodded. "Take RyeoWook along. Have HyungJoon a few paces behind, just in case." Hearing that, HyungJoon wheeled his horse around to get in front of the caravan instead of on it's side.

 

"…Sleeping on the side of the road?" Kevin asked from where he and KiBum were riding next to the caravan. "Isn't that dangerous?"

 

"Didn't KyuJong say he found you sleeping in a bush on the side of the road?" KiBum said, glancing back at him. "Maybe he's like you, a lost compound kid." He watched RyeoWook climb up onto the back of JungMin's horse and two rode off towards where the stranger was sleeping.

 

"…That was different okay," Kevin sulked, watching too.

 

The person curled up on the ground certainly looked lost, clothing torn and dirty with leaves sticking out of his mess of black hair. He was using his backpack as a pillow, snoring quietly. On closer inspection though he was well older than Kevin.

 

The clop of a horse hoof next to him startled the man out of sleep, and he blinked up at them uncomprehendingly. After a moment of just looking at each other he sat up with a jolt, blinking at the two on horseback. "Uh. Hi. Don't kill me? I don't have anything worth stealing, honest."

 

"Not going to kill you friend, just want to say hi," JungMin said, leaning forward a little in his saddle to look down at the man on the ground. "We're headed to Seoul, you heading that way yourself?"

 

"Seoul? Yeah…I'm heading there." The man didn't try to stand up, watching them both warily. He tried to pull the leaves out of his hair with one hand, the other hand lifted to show he wasn't holding a weapon. "I just…needed a nap. Maybe right here wasn't a good idea, but i didn't see anyone else traveling this path and it's not in bandit central so..."

 

"Still not a good idea to sleep on the side of the road," JungMin said. "Especially when there's a good embankment down near the river you could have hid in and been just fine. You're alone?"

 

"If I'd have left the road I wouldn't have found my way back onto it until next week. I'm alone," the other man nodded. Glancing around, his eyes landed on the caravan and all the horses. "Oh, wow. They with you?"

 

"That they are, and if the boss likes you enough maybe he'll let you join us," JungMin said. "We don't want no trouble, you understand?"

 

"Yeah, no setting caravans on fire while people are in them," RyeoWook spoke up, earning himself a glare from JungMin.

 

"…Why would I…" the man blinked at them. "What's the price? I don't have anything worth giving away on me, really. You can check my pack if you don't believe me." He slowly stood up, brushing the dirt off the front half of his clothes.

 

"Talk to the boss about price, just know we'll be keeping an eye on you," JungMin said, motioning for him to walk in front.

 

"Okay…" Shouldering his backpack, the stranger started to walk back slowly towards the caravan. HyungJoon frowned at them as they approached before reluctantly moving aside to let the man by.

 

"Hello," YoungSaeng gave the man a friendly smile when he'd arrived at the caravan. "What's your name?"

 

"JongWoon," the stranger replied, looking from one person to another. "That guy said you're heading to Seoul too…said I could get a lift, but I don't have any money or anything."

 

"Come sit up front with me, we'll talk while we travel," YoungSaeng said. "We're in a bit of a hurry." He looked to JungMin. "Everything all right, Min ah?"

 

"All clear boss," JungMin said, giving a small nod. His attention went to RyeoWook who was still on the back of his horse. "... You getting down or what?"

 

"I thought I'd ride with you for a bit," RyeoWook shrugged, smiling at him. "Getting a little too crowded in the caravan."

 

"Alright," JungMin sighed, rolling his eyes and guiding his horse back towards the front. "Really need another horse Saeng!"

 

"I know!" YoungSaeng shook his head, looking down at JongWoon who was still standing awkwardly next to the caravan. "Are you coming? We're heading out, even if you decide to head out on your own afterwards you'll at least be farther down the road than you are right now."

 

"…Good point." JongWoon climbed up onto the front of the caravan, sitting down on the bench. YoungSaeng flicked the reins and the caravan started to roll again.