Chapter 3

Post-it Notes

 

                Heechul never felt so drained of energy in his whole Student Council life. The principal almost objected all the proposals arranged by the Student Council. It was an insult in Heechul’s way of leading the whole Student Body. He is Kim Heechul and hell he won’t let anything to damage his pride as long as he can defend it and he’s on the right side. He is an epitome of a living artwork thus everything he does is completed into perfection. He’s good with playing words and finally he convinced the principal to consider what they had worked hard for. Good thing Jongwoon was with him. He’s grateful for having Jongwoon sit beside him, he drew strength from his best friend. All the diversions were effectively tearing him away from his heartbreak. He remembered Kyuhyun saying, “That was a creative way of sharing one’s own heartbreak. You know, disguising his unrequited feelings for Hankyung hyung in a story that he claimed that was weaved by his super awesome mind.”  His heartbreak was only meant for Jongwoon to hear but since Kyuhyun is Jongwoon’s childhood friend and Jongwoon really cherishes, he decided that he doesn’t mind the brat knowing that sad story of his.

“You’re deep in thought Heebongie.” Jongwoon commented as they reached the Student Council Room. “Kyuhyun must have already left. Ahra’s coming. By the way, it’s her elder sister.”

A grin flashed on Heechul’s face upon hearing Jongwoon called him “Heebongie”, that’s an exclusive nickname and Jongwoon is the only one who’s allowed to use it. “Sometimes you are perceptive Woon-ah.” He fished out the keys and unlocked the door. “I wish you’re always like that. You’re being defensive.”

Jongwoon’s brows knitted into a frown, “Defensive?”
 

“You thought that I’ll assume that she is Kyuhyun’s girlfriend.”

                Jongwoon still looked confused. Heechul rolled his eyes and pushed the door open.

“I mean Ahra. Poor Woonie. Poor Kyuhyunie.”

“When the time comes that you stop being so vague, I would be so grateful to all the gods that exist.”

                Heechul restrained himself from reacting to Jongwoon’s last statement. Jongwoon would be the densest person existing, he concluded. He hated seeing litters everywhere and it annoyed him that there were crumpled papers on his desk. He recognized the light blue paper so he hesitated to throw it at once. He picked up one piece of crumpled paper and straightened it. Written on it was:

 

If it was me, the person you love

If it was me I prayed for countless days

 

            He also got the other one and smoothed the creases using his hands.

 

I am only looking at you again, do you even know this?

“Woon-ah, let’s call it a day. I’ll just sort the papers from the Freedom Board when I get home. You prepare for tomorrow, you’ll be the one to orient the others about the School Festival.”

“Arasseo hyung.”

                He got a box with several other light blue sticky notes inside it and put the other two. This would be convenient someday, he thought as he put the box inside the drawer of his desk.


“Kyuhyun-ah…” Jongwoon called out softly. He didn’t have the heart to wake Heechul from his siesta.

                The younger just hummed in response, not tearing away his eyes from the book that he’s reading.

“Have you tried to confess to someone?”

“Why? Hyung, you don’t have to confess to Heechul hyung. He knows that you love him so much.”

                A notebook flew across the room. It hit Kyuhyun square on his head. His face scrunched in pain and yet he chuckled.

“Nice aim hyung.” Kyuhyun commented, Jongwoon is too clumsy and it is indeed a miracle that he was able to hit Kyuhyun.

“I was asking a serious question.”

“I just helped you, you know.”

“I didn’t mean confessing to Heechul hyung”

“Why are you being defensive?” Kyuhyun admitted inwardly that he’s enjoying this, though this might make Jongwoon really mad at him.

“Don’t be absurd! We’re just best of friends.”

                Kyuhyun closed the books that he’s reading and placed it on the desk. He took few strides to reach Jongwoon. They were now facing each other. Jongwoon looked at him quizzically. He took a step forward, followed by another and another. Jongwoon felt the coldness as his back became in contact with the wall. Kyuhyun slammed his hands on the wall, effectively trapping the elder. A wave of nervousness invaded Jongwoon’s nerves.

“Kim Jongwoon.” Kyuhyun muttered in a low voice.

Jongwoon swallowed the invisible lump that formed in his throat. His heart beat wildly. He recalled Heechul quoting something like “That is why the heart is kept on the rib cage. It may go out of one’s control.”  Apples, Kyuhyun always smelled like apples. “W-W-What is it Kyuhyun-ah?”

                Kyuhyun smirked. Jongwoon inwardly cursed, he made himself sound steady yet his own voice betrayed him.

“What am I to you hyung?” Kyuhyun wasn’t able to form those words.

“K-K-Kyuhyun-ah…”

                It was as if Jongwoon did hear Kyuhyun’s unspoken question. One emotion reflected on his hyung’s eyes. He knew instantly that this would be pointless; an unplanned confession would just go in vain. His hyung would never take him seriously. He was right. He shouldn’t have even thought to risk everything and go against his first decision.

                “I was just teasing you hyung.” Kyuhyun went back to his spot and resumed reading.

                Jongwoon unconsciously sighed in relief. He raised the light blue sticky note that he was holding and read it again.

 

Until today I always practiced these love confessions by myself, shunned by sad back view

Just until today

 


“You’ve been avoiding Jongwoon for quite some time. Uhmmmm. For a whole month? And the idiot doesn’t seem to notice it. I am impressed by your acting skills Cho Kyuhyun.”

                Kyuhyun didn’t say a word. He drummed his fingers on the desk, staring blankly at the board. Heechul was standing by the window, watching the soccer team’s practice game. He instantly spotted Hankyung, even at such distance.

“Why are you avoiding Jongwoon?”

                Kyuhyun didn’t answer.

“It seems that my question isn’t appropriate.” Heechul tore away his gaze from the window.

                It dawned to Heechul that the younger slightly lost weight. There were dark circles around his eyes.  He realized how lonely the younger must have been. Kyuhyun was really having a hard time, just like him, he thought.

“If I am avoiding him, I should have left this place at once.” Kyuhyun spoke.

“You have a point.”

                Both of them were consumed by silence. Kyuhyun kept his head bent down. In front of him was a pad of light blue sticky notes. He blinked twice and bit his lower lip. Heechul looked outside again.

                Moments passed and Heechul didn’t seem to notice that the sun was slowly giving way to the moon. He closed the windows and erased the writings on the board. He found Kyuhyun asleep in his seat, his head resting on his arm. The younger looked peaceful, Heechul thought and it was his first time that he saw the other in this state. Features of Kyuhyun’s face was relaxed and was not guarded, he looked younger. And Heechul decided that he liked the conscious Kyuhyun more.

He took few strides to reach Kyuhyun. He placed a hand on the younger’s shoulder and shook him lightly. “Kyuhyun-ah, let’s go now. It’s time to go home~”

                The younger’s face was tear-stained, and so as the pad of light blue sticky notes. The ink on the square piece of paper was a bit smudged by tears. Heechul read the words silently:

You will live without ever knowing how I feel

Sadly I know that waiting is easier than erasing you…