Chapter 14

Post-it Notes

"Jongwoon-ah?"

Teacher Lee sat beside his student and handed him a cup of warm milk. He eyed the younger, his brows knitted into a frown, wondering why Jongwoon started to look pale as paper. Lightning zigzagged across the sky and was followed by claps of thunder. He didn't miss noticing that the younger tensed up and held onto the cup tightly as if it is his life line.

"Jongwoon-ah... Are you okay?" Teacher Lee waved his hand in front of him and that snapped him out from his reveries.

"Ah yes Teacher... I am fine." He answered and it was barely audible.

"You don't look like---"

Teacher Lee left his sentence hanging as the cup hit the floor, spilling its contents on the floor. His gaze followed Jongwoon, who was like a lost kid who's looking for someone, or something rather.

Jongwoon sat on the farthest corner of the room, his back facing the window. He wrapped his arms around himself, willing himself not to tremble. Teacher Lee had no idea that Jongwoon has a fear of lightning and thunder. The teacher hurriedly got his phone and played a random music, hoping it would be too loud to drown the deafening sound of thunder. He mentally slapped himself, his idea is really absurd but it is better than nothing. He let Jongwoon hold his phone, he didn't have earphones so he's really left with no choice. He sat beside Jongwoon and hoped that his presence would somehow calm his student.

-xx-

Kyuhyun ran his hands through his hair and let out an exasperated sigh. He was already drenched in the rain but still there were no signs of Jongwoon. He bit on his lower lip and blinked back the tears that were threatening to fall, or was it water, he didn't know either. He sat on the sand and stared at the vast grey sea. His hand pounded on the wet sand. Another wave of worry hits him.

"Kyuhyun-ah."

He turns his head sideways and looked up. He sees Heechul standing beside him, holding a pink Hello Kitty umbrella.

"Teacher Lee found Jongwoon. Come on. Let's go back."

He wasn't able to stop himself from sprawling himself on the wet sand. He put his arm over his eyes and choked on a sob. He doesn't care right now if he looked so silly but relief washed over him and it made him cry. He felt hands grabbing him by his wrists and pulled him to stand up.

"Come on now crybaby. Let's make you feel warm. We'll see Jongwoon in a bit."

-xx-

"I am scared of lightning and thunder." Jongwoon blurted out.

Teacher Lee gave Jongwoon an apologetic look and patted his shoulder, "It's alright. Everyone has their own fear. You are normal, kid."

"When I was seven years old. Kyuhyun and I agreed that we'll play every afternoon at the playground. I always get there first before he does." Jongwoon paused, "And then... One afternoon... It was a sunny day. Eomma dropped me at the playground early. I was very excited to show Kyuhyun my new toy."

Teacher Lee listened intently to Jongwoon's story, even though he not quite sure if his student was just reminiscing or was telling him the reason why he has that phobia. Jongwoon continued.

"I was seated on the bench, my new toy sitting on my lap. Minutes passed... The sky went from blue to gray. The other children went home. I was left alone but I still waited for Kyuhyun. Kyuhyun promised he will come no matter what. Then, I saw lightning ran across the sky and then followed by a loud thunder. Rain started to pour down. I stood up and looked for a phone booth. But there was no phone booth near the playground so I walked. The thunderstorm continued. The problem is, I have no sense of direction. I walked and walked but I found no phone booth. I started to feel so afraid. I think I passed out and woke up at my bedroom. My mom said someone from our neighborhood found me and brought me home." Jongwoon sniffed and continued. "That day also, eomma told me that Kyu and his family left for Japan. It was very sudden. I already have forgiven and forgotten how Kyuhyun left me without saying goodbye but my fears is still here. My fear of..."

And then Jongwoon felt as if he was punched in his gut. Another realization hit him. He is about to lose Kyuhyun again... He knows it by heart but still his mind denied it.

-xx-

 

[ A/N: I wrote a very short update. I hope you all like it. I am working on aproper chapter but it seems that I kind of running out of ideas since work has kind of eating almost all my free time. Feel free to leave comments. Surely your thoughts are very much appreciated. Thank you so much~ ^^ ]