Chapter 18

Post-it Notes

                The alarm went off. Ryeowook groggily sat up and hugged his giraffe-faced pillow close to his chest. After five minutes, the alarm snoozed. He turned it off and then started preparing for school. After taking a shower, getting dressed and checking his things, he made his way to the dining room. He sat on his usual spot and was welcomed by a face with a gummy grin plastered on it. Ryeowook’s gaze followed the sleepy Sungmin as he sat on his chair. It looked liked the sleeping blonde was shocked out of his wits when he met his father’s face.

“Appa! It’s early in the morning. Don’t creep us out~” Sungmin said as he sat opposite to Ryeowook.

“I am showing my charm. Feel blessed my dearest kids.”The grin on Teacher Lee’s face got wider.

“Jagiya, I am the only one who can appreciate that charm of yours.” Donghae gave a peck on his husband’s cheek and placed a bowl of kimchi bokkeumbap on the table.”Eat up my little ones~”

                Sungmin smiled at his mother and started to dig in. Hyukjae put servings on Ryeowook’s bowl. Sungmin also put pieces of meat on Ryeowook’s bowl and the late did the same too. Donghae watched the three most important people in his life with a smile on his face.

 

-xx-

 

                The day went by swiftly. Ryeowook just finished his classes in a private academy. He still continuously takes piano and voice lessons to improve himself more. He stopped volunteering at the library so that he can spend most of his time with the choir. He bought a bag with red bean-filled buns. The ahjumma gave him three free pieces because he looked totally adorable. He bowed his head and thanked the ahjumma. He is now homebound. He took the longer route. His phone vibrated. He checked it and saw Jongwoon’s reply. He heaved a sigh and kept his phone in his pocket. He sighed again, got a piece of red bean-filled bun and stuffed it in his mouth.

                He turned left and he was just a few blocks away from the playground. Both of them agreed to meet there. As he reached, the place, he saw Jongwoon sitting on the swing. He swung himself and his eyes were closed. He didn’t bother to call the other’s attention. His hyung seemed to be in a deep thought. He just stared at his hyung, hugging the bag filled with buns close to his chest. He really missed seeing the older. He stopped himself from rushing to his hyung. He took a deep breath and just continued watching the latter as he swung himself back and forth on the swing.

“Ryeowook-ah!” Ryeowook-ah!” Jongwoon jumped off from the swing and jogged towards him.

                Ryeowook got shaken out of his thoughts. Jongwoon flashed a smile at him and wrapped his arms around the younger.

                Ryeowook felt like crying if he will utter a word. He took a deep breath and told himself to keep his composure together. He wrapped one arm on his hyung’s waist and buried his face on the his hyung’s chest. They stayed like that for a moment. Ryeowook felt that it would last forever, but no, it wouldn’t. He needs to do what has to be done. He pulled away from Jongwoon.

“Ryeowook-ah?”

“Hyung! You are really clumsy~ Aigoo~ Hold this for me, please?”

                Jongwoon got the bag of buns. Ryeowook kneeled down and fixed his hyung’s shoelaces.

“You can get a bun hyung. And don’t go out without tying your shoelaces properly!”

“Are you scolding me?” Jongwoon said in a sulky tone. He got a bun and took a bite on it.

“No. You should tie them properly so that you won’t fall to anyone else.” Ryeowook stood up and smiled, “Ta-da! It’s done!”

“Did you just say a pick-up line to me?” Jongwoon teased.

                Ryeowook rolled his eyes and lightly punched Jongwoon on his shoulder. Jongwoon chuckled and pulled the younger closer.

“No.” Ryeowook was still smiling at his hyung. He placed his hands on each of his hyung’s shoulder and kept a fair distance between them. “No. That is not a pick-up line hyung.”

                Jongwoon blinked, obviously clueless of what Ryeowook is saying.

“Kim Jongwoon. Always tie your shoelaces properly because starting now, you are going to walk away from me and go to the right person. Don’t make stop-overs from now on. Hmmmmmm?”

“Ryeowook-ah… Wait…”

“You got what I am saying, right hyung?”

“Ryeowook-ah…”

                Ryeowook placed his index finger on Jongwoon’s lips. He shook his head, telling the older not to say anything.

“Go to him when you are ready hyung. And you’ll always have a space here.” Ryeowook placed his free hand on his chest and wore a smile on his face. “Be happy hyung~”

 

-xx-

 

                Ryeowook stood frozen as he opened the gate. He saw Sungmin by the door. He was sitting on the doorstep his faded blonde fringes blocked his eyes and hi head lolling to the side. He dozed off. Ryeowook closed the gate and sat beside Sungmin. He gently shook the latter to wake him up. The latter stirred up and looked sleepily at him.

“Welcome home~” Sungmin stifled a yawn.

“What are you doing here you idiot? You’ll catch a cold.”

“I sensed rhat reab bean buns are on their way here.”

                Sungmin reached for the bag, but Ryeowook swatted his hand away and stuck his tongue out.

“Ya! It hurts! What was that for??” Sungmin scowled at him but he still looked cute.

“These are for Uncle Donghae.”

“The ending is that he’ll give them all to me~”

“Whatever~” Ryeowook stood up.

“Help me~~”

“No.”

“No fair!” Sungmin protested. He tugged at the hem of Ryeowook’s blazer and pouted.

“Stand up now cutie Ming~ we’ll eat inside.” Ryeowook chuckled and offered his hand.

Sungmin took it and stood up. “You alright?”

“What the hell… No, I am not.”

“Don’t worry. I’ll be here.”