Chapter 10

Post-it Notes

[A/N: *sobs* unedited. Please do pardon my flaws. T^T]

 

 

                Ryeowook sat alone at the farthest corner in the library. He just finished returning the books to their respective shelves.  He decided not to attend the choir practice today. Jongwoon didn’t question why the younger didn’t want to go, he just promised that he’ll be back as soon as the practice is over. He heaved a sigh, a bit of happiness went away, he thought. But is there really happiness within you? A tiny voice asked him. Ignoring the question, he pulled out his notebook and tried to take down notes for his homework in History. Few minutes past, pages of book were turned but he ended up sketching Olaf. He put his mechanical pencil down and stared intently on the unfinished drawing.

“Love is when you put others need before yours.” He muttered.

                As if he was hypnotized by the unfinished sketch, he got his pencil and scribbled the words he muttered earlier. Thos words sounded like a mantra, it reverberated in his brain, making its own to get comprehended cognitively and perhaps it hopes to make its emotional appeal. More questions flooded his train of thoughts.

                Do I  know what love is? He wrote yes on the same page of notebook where the unfinished sketch of Olaf begging to be drawn completely.

                In what sense do I understood love? It took him a few moments to write his answer. He tapped the pencil onto the paper. He stared blankly into space, and yet nothing came. He made three dots on the paper.

                Do I love Jongwoon? The word “YES” was written at once.

                Can I sacrifice everything for Jongwoon? Another “yes” was written on the paper.

                It felt like something scoffed at his previous answer.

                Can I give up Jongwoon to Kyuhyun?  He felt his blood boil and wrote “HELL NO” furiously on the paper.

               Why? He just can’t give up Jongwoon. Jongwoon is his everything. Jongwoon is his sun, his life revolves around him. Jongwoon is his, and doesn’t have to belong to someone else.

                Are you really unaware of what is going around you or you are just turning a blind eye, ignoring obvious things for your own satisfaction?

“I am certainly not…” He whispered. “Jongwoon hyung loves me… He loves me…”

                In what way does he love you? And in that he was rendered speechless.

                Does Jongwoon love you?

                Do you think Jongwoon stays with you because he really loves you or he just doesn’t have the heart to reject someone who’s fairly important to him?

              

                It was as if he was stripped off the ability to comprehend questions and to give answers the moment his subconscious asked the question. He rested his head on the smooth surface of the table. He convinced himself to stop thinking for a while. He closed his eyes. Emotional stress is more exhausting than feeling physical ones. It saps away the energy thrice the rate that physical activities would cost you.  He was about to doze when he felt something vibrated. He groaned in annoyance and sat up straight. It wasn’t his phone.  Then his eyes landed on a bag that was placed on the table. Jongwoon’s bag. He pulled the bag closer to him and fished the phone out. As soon as he saw the caller’s name flashing on the screen, the call ended.

“Damn it.”

                He muttered through gritted teeth and was about to dump the phone inside the bag but his eyes caught a glimpse of a familiar face on the screen. He took a closer look and colors got drained from his face. It was a picture of Jongwoon with Heechul, Sungmin and Kyuhyun. It was taken at the Student Council Room, he assumed. It looked like Jongwoon was talking a selca then the others butted in. Next to Jongwoon was Kyuhyun, followed by Heechul then Sungmin who grinned goofily. He didn’t fail to notice how Kyuhyun looked at Jongwoon, full of longing, and sadness. Knowing how dense Jongwoon is, he chuckled bitterly. Jongwoon thinks that Kyuhyun was only teasing him by looking at him intentionally. He put back the phone inside the bag and decided to drop by the Student Council Room and leave Jongwoon’s bag there.

-xx-

“You may enter.”

                Heechul’s voice echoed inside the room. He’s the only one left there, Sungmin went home early, Kyuhyun didn’t come to school and Jongwoon was in the Music Room.

“Oh it’s you Kim Ryeowook come in.” Heechul said flatly. He is not really fond of seeing Ryeowook.

“I was just about to leave Jongwoon hyung’s bag here but it seems my presence isn’t welcomed so I would just…”

Heechul cut him off, “You look tired.”

He smiled weakly, “It seems that you’re a bit concerned. I thought you don’t like me.”

“I am not that heartless. Perhaps we didn’t have a good start. We can always begin again, after we fix things.”

“My sole purpose is to…” Ryeowook’s voice trailed off the moment he realized Heechul was standing in front of him. They were engaged into a staring contest, not letting themselves get unnerved by each other.

“I like your courage.” A playful smirk was etched on Heechul’s face. “Let me be your conscience dear.”

                As they talked for awhile, puzzle pieces that Ryeowook has been solving was slowly falling into pieces.

“You all know the answers Ryeowook. Think. And then everything’s going to be fine. Trust me.”

“You and Sungmin hyung are totally screwing my mind.” Ryeowook protested.

“If you’re going to be a stubborn brat who’s going to avoid what’s real then you will just make another wrong move and wreck your lives forever. It’s like a game of chess, touch move, touch down.”

                Ryeowook held the door knob. He was about to twist it open but he froze when he heard Sungmin’s name.

“What about Sungmin hyung?” He asked.

“Lee Sungmin is an unrequited love-drunken idiot who’s more concerned of you quitting on the game that you are playing now. Stop being blind, if Jongwoon and Kyuhyun are not making their move, you take the first step.”

“You won’t get me with your word play Kim Heechul.”

Heechul sat on the desk and crossed his leg, “And oh by the way. I have this hunch that you told Kyuhyun to stay away from Jongwoon. Do you think you can win Jongwoon by asking Kyuhyun to avoid Jongwoon?”

                Ryeowook left the Student Council Room with just one more piece to find for him to be able to solve the puzzle.

                “What does Jongwoon hyung really feels?”

                He admit it to himself, he never asked the older as such. And he really needed to find out.