Chapter 2

Post-it Notes

“Wookie!!” Jongwoon called out happily as he saw Ryeowook entering the library.

Ryeowook smiled at him. “Hello hyung, Kyuhyun!”

“Kyuhyun?” Jongwoon turned around and saw Kyuhyun leaning on the window.

“I was behind you remember? Aigoo. Too absent-minded hyung.” Kyuhyun shook his head and entered took his favorite spot inside the library.

                 Kyuhyun rested his chin on his palm, boredom etched on his face. Jongwoon started to help Ryeowook arranging the books. Ryeowook is a volunteer student librarian. He stopped attending choir practices since he found the library as a new safe haven. The two of them were engaged in an animated chat as they sorted the card catalogs.

                After finishing the library chores, Ryeowook excused himself and went to the comfort room. Jongwoon took the seat opposite to Kyuhyun. The younger fell asleep. His head was resting on his arm. Kyuhyun and Jongwoon were friends since they were kids. Then Kyuhyun’s family moved to Japan. This year, they went back to Korea. Jongwoon was so shocked when he saw Kyuhyun included on the newly recruited batch of choir members. Kyuhyun never failed to leave his side, and he thought that the younger was still adjusting to his not-really-new environment. Kyuhyun always kept a blank expression on his face, that’s why only few have the guts to approach him. The girl population can’t deny that Kyuhyun  is handsome. He’s glad that Heechul and Kyuhyun get along very well (birds of the same feather, flock together. They’re both evil and blunt in nature). He brushed away the loose strands of Kyuhyun’s hair revealing the younger’s relaxed face. The other stirred and opened his eyes slowly.

“I didn’t mean to wake you up. Mianhae…”

“Daijobu.”

“Eh?”

“Oh sorry. I mean it’s alright hyung.” He glanced at his wrist watch. “Heechul hyung will murder us. Come hyung.”

“Kyuhyun-ah.”

                Kyuhyun just hummed in response.

“Welcome back.” Jongwoon smiled.

                Kyuhyun was taken aback at the sudden warmth from his hyung. He grinned and ruffled his hyung’s hair in response.


“Oy! You two idiots! Both of you are due to the Student Council Room…” Heechul didn’t continue wahat he was saying. The library is empty.

                He took a step inside and he saw a pad of post-it note near the seat by the window. He picked it up and saw a familiar scrawl on the light blue paper.

 

Tears flow once again

You are smiling, not knowing my pain inside

 

                He already knew who owns the pad. He smiled wistfully and shoved the pad on his pocket. He made his way back to the Student Council Room.


A fool like me, a naïve and immature me

For this once, can you turn around and look at me?

Jongwoon held the familiar post-it note, “How sentimental KyuKyu~”

                Jongwoon started calling Kyuhyun with nicknames like he used to when they were kids. Kyuhyun didn’t bother to count the nicknames since his hyung seemed like a factory of nicknames.

“You are my #1 fan hyung. Shall I take writing to a serious level hyung?”

“Talents aren’t supposed to be kept you know. Just do what you want.”

“The point is, it isn’t talent alone.” Heechul piped in, and tore open a pack of potato chips.

“Stop being ambiguous Heechul hyung. And Kyu, do consider writing.”

“I am being obvious Woon-ah. Aigoo.”

“I can’t see your point of being obvious hyung.”

                Then the two started bickering. Kyuhyun just heaved a sigh and pretended that he was asleep. Today isn’t a busy day for the Student Council Body. Choir Practices were postponed since Teacher Lee was on his leave. Then Ryeowook came into the picture. Jongwoon seemed so fond of the volunteer librarian, Heechul noticed.

“I would take the honor of telling you Woon-ah that Ryeowook wouldn’t like you.”

“I don’t like him hyung!” Jongwoon said in his defense.

“Oh for goodness’ sake, it’s written all over your face. Don’t dare deny it Kim Jongwoon or I’ll slap you left and right.”

“I am telling the truth hyung. He’s just a dongsaeng.”

“Everyone’s just a dongsaeng. That excuse, I’m sick of it. When will you admit that you actually like someone Woon-ah?”

                Jongwoon was caught off guard. He was tongue-tied. He stood still on his spot near the window.

“I don’t know… what it feels to like someone…” Jongwoon admitted.

                Heechul mentally gave himself a slap. He exhaled loudly and thought of something for a moment.

“Hyung?”

“How about Kyuhyun? How do you see him?”

                At the mention of his name, Kyuhyun didn’t move an inch. He still carried on with his sleep act.

“A very good friend of mine. Special friend of mine.”

                Heechul inwardly smacked himself. It dawned to him that he needs to do more nudging, and from gentle, it upgraded into harsh nudge.

“For this once, can you turn around and look at me?” Kyuhyun whispered.


                Kyuhyun sat on Heechul’s desk at the Student Council Room. He was waiting for his two hyungs since they were called in the Principal’s Office, having a final talk about the plans for the School Festival. He was holding a pad of light blue post-it notes. He has tons of them, not that he obsesses over sticky notes. Ahra, his elder sister, always gives him sticky notes since he reads a lot and tends to take notes on textbooks or quote something interesting on the novels he reads. He wrote something, deciding that it looked stupid, he tore the piece of note, crumpled it and left it on the table. He wrote another and he seemed irritated so the poor note got crumpled too.

                He glanced at his wrist watch, he needed to be home. Ahra would be home from Austria and would spend the short break from the Music School with her family. He’s excited to see his noona. At least he would stop counting time differences for two weeks. He honestly missed her. He planned that the moment he saw his noona, he would tackle her into a bone-crushing hug. Under that cold appearance, he hides his affectionate side. Deciding that his hyungs would stay longer in the Principal’s Office, he scrawled a quick note and stuck it on the board. He locked the room and left.