Chapter 16

Love in the Time of the Ice Princess

First of all, this chapter can be a bit confusing…[refer to the italics down below] Also, while I was writing this, I began to think that I could have split this chapter into 2 because it was so long and I had some brain farts on some parts but I knew what I was going to write for the next part if that made sense… All in all, there is bound to be some grammar mistakes here and there and this is another roller coaster chapter. I think this is the longest chapter I have written but hopefully you guys will enjoy it : ) Happy reading!

[This chapter is going to be about the “talk” Donghae and Jaejoong were talking about. Also, it’s going to be in 3rd person point of view so I just wanted to give everyone the heads up. Oh yeah, this is going to be a flashback within a flashback… inception… DUN DUN DUN!]

 




Jaejoong and Donghae were both sitting in the back of the car, speechless, as the driver proceeded to drive along the long road. An electrifying tension wraps around the whole car, even filling the hard to reach places under the leather seats. Not a single word can escape from these young men’s lips, as they were lost in the realms of their mind, thinking their morning encounter.

[Flashback: before school]

Jaejoong arrived to school 10 minutes before his usually time and had asked his driver to drop him off at a designated area that was a few block away from school. He received a text last night from Donghae asking him to meet him up here but Jaejoong didn’t really understood why. Plus Jaejoong was kind of annoyed that Donghae wanted to walk with him to school instead of just getting dropped off at school. When Jaejoong got out of his car, Donghae was already there, sitting on a red bench waiting for Jaejoong’s arrival. 

Jaejoong started to walk toward Donghae, while clutching his arm due to the coldness of the morning weather. His black leather Prada shoes were making clickety noise whenever Jaejoong took a step towards Donghae. Jaejoong quickly gave a nod to Donghae and coolly said, “What’s up Donghae,” while closing in for the bro shake/hug/highfive?

Before Donghae can say a word, Jaejoong cuts him off by saying, “By the way, why am I here so early? And why are we walking to school when we could just gotten dropped off in front of the school gate?”

Donghae gesture Jaejoong to walk with him and Jaejoong caught onto the signal and began striding along his best friend. Donghae began to speak saying, “So I heard some things from Tiffany and I just want to clarify it with you.”

Jaejoong turns his head toward Donghae, with a confused look on his face and said, “You heard some ‘things’ from Tiffany and wanted to talk to me about it? You could have told me in class you know?”

Donghae stopped walking and stood there, thinking of the appropriate words to say to Jaejoong. He bit his lips as tries to avert his eyes from Jaejoong’s cautious eyes before he can say anything. He straightens out his back and confidently stared back at Jaejoong and said, “You like Jessica, don’t you?”

Jaejoong literally jumps back, eyes widen as huge as a baseball ball, and his jaws was touching the cement ground. He grabbed his shirt at the area where the heart is and while he is breathing heavily, he said, “Seriously Donghae, that nearly gave me a heart attack! And wh… what… pfft…” By now Jaejoong was scuffling through his golden brown hair and awkwardly said, “Donghae, you seriously think that I ‘like’ Jessica.” And when he said ‘like’, he did the finger quotation mark along with it, which made it even more awkward. “Also, Bro Code article 4 clearly states that bros can’t go for another bro’s woman! There’s no way I’m breaking the Bro Code. That’s illegal!” 

Ahh the Bro Code… Now that’s a story that dates back 3 years ago when they’re were all just middle schoolers.

[3 years ago, 8th graders in middle school]

In middle school, the adolescent boys finally hit puberty and learned that girls do not have cooties but they are something better than that. Anyway, the group of boys that started to hit puberty consists of Donghae, Jaejoong, Junsu, Siwon, Yunho, Sungmin, and Kangin.

These boys would hang out after school like how normal boys would hang out in treehouse, but since they were rich, their treehouse was literally a house in a tree. A house house with real Versailles walls and posh carpets and everything.

Out of the 7 boys, Sungmin was the one who hit puberty first and oh man, he was an early bloomer. At the age of 13, he was already a womanizer, hitting on 5 girls at once; rotating between cliques so the other girls wouldn’t find out he was cheating on them because they would never interact with one another. He was a genius womanizer and decided to share the beauty of girls with his boys. 

The first one to follow after Sungmin’s steps was Siwon. Being the natural talented athlete he is, he would attract girls purely from his athletic skills and back in middle school, little girls love a guy with a move like jagger (HAHAHHA I been listening to that song on replay for a while now). 

Anyway, while Sungmin was rotating girls between cliques and Siwon was just attracting any girl from any clique, things started to get complicated when they both started to go after the same girls. They learned that there would need to be a set of rule of which girls they can and cannot go for and in the midst of all of the fighting, they decide to write out their first constitution.

 


The Bro Code
First and foremost, the first article is exactly like the U.S. constitution’s 1st amendment. While the U.S. Constitution allows freedom of speech, religion, press, and etc; the first bro code is the most fundamental code ever in a man’s life.

Bro Code Article 1:
Bros before Ho’s. 

The only reasons why these guys remain friends were due to the first article of the Bro Code. They understand that the bonds between two men are stronger than a bond between a man and a woman because women don’t understand those immature jokes males have between themselves.

Anyway, the list continues on with

Article 2 : 
A bro is always entitled to do something stupid, as long as the rest of his Bros are all doing it

Article 3:
Bros does not share dessert.

Article 4:
If a girl falls into the following criteria, she is off limits forever until the end of time:
A. Was an ex-girlfriend. 
B. Your Bro specifically told you he wanted her. 
C. Is you're Bro's sister. 
However, if it's your Bro's cousin, well she's up for grabs, and you're welcome to rub it in his face for years to come.

Article 5: 
A Bro shall not sleep with another Bro’s sister. However, a Bro shall not get angry of another Bro says, “Dude, your sister’s hot!”


Anyway, you get the picture. The Bro Code continues on with roughly 60 something articles but these are probably the big 5. 

After the guys finish up their constitution, they began having deep conversation about who they like and it’s basically “calling or claiming” who they like so the other guys won’t go after them.

First one to step up to the bat was none other than Junsu, who recently ran into his “angel in disguise.” 

“So while I was walking to class, my ‘angel in disguise’ totally ran into me as if it was a sign sent from God. Her eyes were so round and they were gleaming. I literally got lost in her eyes. And so all of her stuff were scattered everywhere on the floor so I decided to help her and the second I reach out to pick up her chemistry book, her hand touched mine and it felt electrifying! Sparks EXPLODEDDD! It felt as though I was at Disneyland, the most magical place on earth!” said the boy blinded by love.

All the guys around Junsu started to laugh at the cheesiness of Junsu’s love and then Kangin pop the question saying, “So who is this ‘angel in disguise?” 

Before Junsu can say anything, he was already blushing bright red and shyly said, “Kim Taeyeon.”

The boys went crazy, acting like little girls, and they erupted with hoots and screaming. Jaejoong gave Junsu the knuckle while Donghae went for the high five. Siwon and Yunho were just nodding their head saying, “Good job!” 

Sungmin started saying, “Mmmm, Kim Taeyeon. Now that’s a veryyy good choice. I tried hitting on her but she just laughs and walks away. One day after you’re done with her, maybe I’ll try getting a piece of that.”

Junsu and Jaejoong just gave each other the look and they both started attacking Sungmin, jokingly screaming out, “YOU’RE BREAKING THE BRO CODE ALREADY!!”

While the room was filled with laughers and hoots, the lonely Kangin remain silent in the back, donning a solemn expression on his face while he claps soullessly for his best friend.

After all the commotions died down, the boys decide to go around in a circle so they can finish off the list of girls they can’t go after. It was Kangin’s turn but he just shook his head and said, “There’s no one for me yet.”

They moved onto Yunho who then confessed that he have been having a one sided crush for Yuri for the longest time. The thing is, Yunho and Yuri were both in the same dance club in middle school and they have been dance partner for awhile too. Yunho continues on by saying, “Yuri is an amazingly dancer and she was bound to steal my heart any second now.”

There were a few aww’s in the room but it was quickly hosed down when Sungmin interrupt saying, “You forgot to mention -Y! Good choice my man! Have you seen her S-wave? All I can say is just mmm-mmm-MMM! You know I tried hitting on her but then…” Before Sungmin could finish what he was saying, he was greeted with awkward stares from his friends. “What? This was before the Bro Code was established.” 

The rest of the boys began to laugh again and then Yunho said, “So Sungmin! Is there any girl that catches your interest? And I said girl, not girlssss”

“Ehh, I’m good. There are too many fishes in the sea and I don’t want to limit myself to just one fish until I try them all.” Said Sungmin.

Then Siwon looked over at Sungmin and said, “Same here! I thought I was the only who thought like that!” and then the two of them pounded each other fist, ending both Sungmin and Siwon’s turn. 

The next person to share was none other than Donghae and everybody is already staring holes into his body, waiting for him to say something. Donghae was fidgeting with his hands before he said, “Err… Well… I really like Jessica…”

Siwon was already slapping Donghae’s back saying,” CONGRATS!! ABOUT TIME!” and then Yunho added in, “I KNEWW!!” and as always, Sungmin would ruin the moment by saying, “Jessica Jung. VERY nice choice. She is just so hot and the way she glares at people is just so y! I should know, I been trying to hit on her for the past few days but she would just bat those pretty little eyelashes at me as though she doesn’t have the time of day for me.”

Donghae laughs as he whacks the back of Sungmin’s head and said, “You got to stop abusing Article 4 of the Bro Code. I don’t know how long this constitution will last by the way you’re acting.”

Sungmin just rubs the wounded area of his head and said, “In my defense, I was just speaking the truth and don’t worry! I’ll support you Donghae.” And just when you think that it was the end of Sungmin’s weird interjection, Sungmin added, “You better tap that before I change my mind” and winks at Sungmin. 

By now, anything that you can get a hold of is thrown at Sungmin. Pillows, chairs, food, books, pencil, pen, dog, shoes; they were all flying in the air and attacking Sungmin.

After the sky was clear of flying objects, the rest of the boys began to congratulate Donghae and wished him good luck going after Jessica. 

Jaejoong on the other hand puts on the best fake smile he can in order to congratulate his best friend without ruining Donghae’s parade on congratulations.

Donghae shook Jaejoong hands and said, “So buddy, who have stolen your heart?”

When Jaejoong heard this, he literally felt as though someone have stolen his heart and threw it in the dumpster for the cats to nip on. He didn’t know what to say and the Bro codes were already enforced and he truly loves his best friends more than anything in the world. Jaejoong took a deep breath and while scratching his head he said, “Umm… My heart doesn’t seem to be working because there’s no one…” 

The moment he said that, his heart was turned into ice; frozen in time so his true feelings for Jessica would not interfere with his best friend’s happiness. He forced himself to believe that if his friends are happy, then it’s good enough for him. Who needs love anyway…

The next day at school, Jaejoong was slowly walking to school until a cheerful Jessica found him and yelled out, “JAEJOOONGGGG! GUESS WHAT?”

Jaejoong kept on walking, pretending not to hear a thing she said because he wouldn’t know how to response to her.

Jessica caught up to Jaejoong and stared at him for a bit and thought Jaejoong was playing a game and went along with it and continue talking. “Omg, so our plan to trick Junsu and Taeyeon to go to the amusement park worked! Taeyeon came home ad yelled at me but at the same time she couldn’t stop blushing. She totally likes him. I’ll give them about 2 weeks before they start going out. What do you think Jaejoong? Hello? Earth to Jaejoong?! IS ANYONE THERE!!” Sica yelled as she knocked on his head.

Jaejoong just push Jessica’s hands off his head and yelled out, “CAN YOU STOP BUGGING ME? GOSH YOU’RE SO ANNOYING”

Jessica, who was confused with Jaejoong’s action, then said, “Umm… are you playing a prank on me? Should I laugh? Hahahaha… You got me Jaejoong!”

“Seriously, this is why you’re so annoying! YOU DON’T UNDERSTAND ANYTHING! You think everything is a joke don’t you? For once I wish that you open your eyes and see things as I see it! Darn… talking to you is so frustrating!” Jaejoong furiously said as he tries to walk away. 

Jessica grabbed him by the arm and said, “Jaejoong! I don’t understand a thing you’re saying and why are you so angry? I didn’t do anything so why are you yelling at me?”

Jaejoong let out a deep sigh and said, “Just leave me alone.” And he shrugs Jessica’s off his arm and walked away while Jessica stands there dumbfounded. 

Later on that day, Jessica told Donghae exactly what happened between her and Jaejoong but Donghae thought it was all a lie. However, Jaejoong was still ignoring Jessica so Donghae decided to talk to Jaejoong about it.

“So Jessica told me what happened.” Donghae said in a cool tone to make it seem that he was on Jaejoong’s side. Donghae always use this kind of tone to get the deepest secret out of Jaejoong. 

Jaejoong himself knew what Donghae meant when he said it like that. They have been friends for too long to keep secrets from each other’s. However, they were still in middle school going through puberty, they had no idea how love would look like. Both of them so blinded by love to not notice that they have both fallen for the same girl. However, one of them was not as blind as the other. Jaejoong took one look into Donghae’s hazel eyes and knew exactly what to do.

“Oh, that? Don’t worry about! It’s all part of my plan to get you and Sica together.” Jaejoong said with a weird smile.

Donghae, confused as a baby panda, raised his eyebrows and said, “Huh?”

Jaejoong chuckles and led Donghae to a seat so he can explain what he meant. “Okay, imagine this: I will pretend that I don’t want to be friend with Jessica anymore and this will leave her with only you. While I’m pretending to not be her friend, I’ll be as mean as I can be so she’ll be miserable and will need a BEST FRIEND to help her through this. The BEST FRIEND who helped her through all of this trouble will look like a hero in her eyes and ba-da-bing ba-da-boo! You guys start dating! WHADDUPPPP?!” exclaimed Jaejoong with his hand up, ready for the high five.

The guy with his eyebrows still raised up just sat there with a blank expression and said, “Huh?”

Jaejoong sigh and said, “Dude, I’m not going to repeat myself and I know that you heard what I said. Now give me a high five already!”

Donghae obediently listened to Jaejoong and gave him a high five but then said, “Wait wait wait wait. Are you sure about this? There could be some other way to make Jessica fall in love with me. I don’t want you to sacrifice yourself for me.”

However, that was the only thing Jaejoong wanted to do. He couldn’t look at Jessica in the eye without feeling angry with himself for falling in love with the same girl as his best friend. Being around Jessica will just make him feel uneasy and he won’t know what he will do if he continues to be her friends with his unresolved feelings. Jaejoong made himself believes that this is the best for everyone and locked up his heart while throwing away the key. "Who needs love anyway, it'll just cause trouble for everyone", Jaejoong thought. 

Jaejoong pats Donghae on the shoulder while biting down his lips and said, “Don’t worry about it. I’m taking one for the team.”

And that marks the beginning of the whole archenemy between Jessica and Jaejoong. Jaejoong continues to fight with Jessica, calling her names and picking at her flaws. Jessica, who couldn’t understand why he was doing this, was getting fed up with all of his insults and began fighting back. Day by day, their friendship was deteriorating into dust. There were some times in the future where most of Jaejoong’s rude remarks were actually his way of showing Jessica that he liked her, but then again Jaejoong at expressing his emotions and it rubbed off in the wrong direction. 


One day, Donghae decided to visit Jessica’s house to comfort her from all the fighting between her and Jaejoong. When Donghae enters Jessica’s room, he did not see the strong, elegant Ice Princess; but a tiny fragile child, crying her heart out while hugging Mr. Snuggles.

Donghae rushes in the room and franticly said, “Jessica, what’s wrong?”

The tear-stained girl looked up at Donghae and started to wail, “He’s gone. Donghae, HE’S GONE!!”

“What are you talking about?” said the confused Donghae.

Jessica continues crying while mumbling, “Jaejoong is gone… Like he is seriously gone!”

“Ummm Jessica… Jaejoong is still here? He was at school today wasn’t he?” said Donghae.

“No, I didn’t mean that! I mean Jaejoong is not my best friend anymore! I can’t believe him! We have been friends since preschool and now we’re the furthest things from friends! I lost my best friend and everything that I am doing to fix our friendship won’t work!” Jessica cried out. “The only connection I have left with Jaejoong is this bear. This one bear… this one bear that Jaejoong gave me on my first birthday that we all celebrated together as best friends. Am I pathetic or what? THIS BEAR IS THE ONLY THING I HAVE LEFT OF JAEJOONG!” 

Donghae scooted over closer to Jessica and gave her a hug to calm down a bit. Then he said, “Well you may have lost Jaejoong but you still have me? Don’t worry about Jaejoong, he was a rude to you. I promise as your best friend, I will never do anything to hurt you.”

Jessica pouted and began saying, “Thank you Donghae but it’s not the same. You’re not Jaejoong. I just want Jaejoong back…” 

Donghae continues to comfort Jessica by saying, “I know you want him back but he made you cry Jessica. I’ll do everything I can to…” 

Jessica cuts him off but quietly saying, “but I like him…” By now, Jessica has cried herself to sleep in the arm of Donghae.

The moment he heard that, his whole body froze. Did Jessica just say that she like Jaejoong? Maybe he was hearing things… Jessica was crying when she said that so that mean she could have said something else, right…? 

Donghae pretended that he had never heard what Jessica said and never told anyone about it. Also, the next day, Jessica couldn’t recall a thing that happened yesterday except for the fact that she was being a crybaby and made Donghae to promise not to tell anyone what happened. Donghae promised Jessica yet at the same time, he left Jaejoong completely in the shadow.


[Back to the walk to school]

“It’s nice that you respect the Bro Codes but can you just stop with the acts?” said Donghae.

Jaejoong made a guilty face and said, “What act? I’m not acting about anything… What are we talking about again?”

“Can you stop acting that you don’t like Jessica? It’s sooo obvious. Tiffany told me all about how you would call Jessica an Ice princess, not because you think she is made out of ice, but you wanted her to be your only princess. And then Tiffany said how you were only saying mean remarks to Jessica because you are the type of boy who can’t express their feelings so they start doing stupid things instead like NAME CALLING!” Exclaimed Donghae.

If you looked at Jaejoong, he kind of look like the Scream monster because he mouth was open so wide that you could fit 2 fists in there. Jaejoong began to stutter because of shock and said, “Wh… Wha… Huh… Err… Ehh… “ 

This continued on for at least a minute and by now, they were only a few feet away from the school’s entrance.

Donghae, who is slightly getting annoyed at Jaejoong’s stutters, yelled out, “COME ON ALREADY! SPIT IT OUT!”

Jaejoong took a deep breath and when he was about to say something, his eyes widen. “Hey Donghae, is that who I think it is?” said Jaejoong as he pointed his finger toward the school’s gate.

“OMG JAEJOONG! DON’T CHANGE THE SUBJECT! DO YOU LIKE JESSICA OR NOT?!” yelled out the anxious Donghae.

Jaejoong was still fixated on the strange person lingering around in front of their school and he began to squint his eyes to get a better look at the person. A gasp escaped from his lips as he started to freak out. 

“OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!!!! IT IS HIM!! DONHAE RUN!!” Jaejoong screamed out in a little girl voice.

“What are you talking abou…” before Donghae could finish his sentence, he glanced over at the gate and saw the thing that made Jaejoong scream like a girl. “OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG! IS THAT JUNSU?!?!”

And that was the reason why both Jaejoong and Donghae were late to class that day.

[Back to the car ride aka present]

The air in the back of the car was still heavy, as none of the boys would utter a single word. Both of them cringing onto the door handle as though the door handle was some sort of stress reliever 

Finally, Donghae broke the silence by saying, “Do you like Jessica?”

Jaejoong nearly fell out of his seat when he heard that and said, “Donghae, I already told you that it violates article 4 of the Bro Code!”

“I did not ask about the Bro Code. I asked if you like Jessica.” Donghae said again.

“Come on Donghae, this isn’t funny. Why would you ask something like this?” Jaejoong said.

However, Jaejoong was faced with the same question as Donghae said, “Do you like Jessica?”

Jaejoong put his face in his palms because he knew that this wasn’t going to go anywhere and he had no choice but to answer Donghae. “Okay Donghae. What IF I like Jessica? Even IF I like Jessica, nothing is going to happen alright? I’m not going to go chase after he even though I know that you like her. As long as you and Jessica are happy, then it’s good enough for me.”

Donghae reciprocates by saying, “Even though you liked Jessica, why didn’t you say anything? Back at our conference thing, everyone told us about their crush but you kept yours back and for what? Do you not trust us enough to even tell us who you like?”

“Donghae, the reason why I didn’t say anything back then was because I already decided to support you! You are my best friend and I want the best for you! Even if it means giving up the person I liked, as long as you’re happy, I’m happy! So there was no need for my stupid little crush.” Responded Jaejoong.

“Are you out of your mind Jaejoong? THERE IS A NEED FOR YOUR STUPID LITTLE CRUSH! If you have told me about it, I would have supported you too! We’re best friend Jaejoong! Best friends don’t let each other suffer! It’s not fair if I’m the only one who is allowed to be happy.” Said Donghae.

Jaejoong slumps back into his seat, arms folded and said, “But what do you expect me to do now?”

“GO AFTER JESSICA! You still like her don’t you?!” screamed out the frantic Donghae.

“Woah woah woah wait! You can’t expect that I can go for Jessica after all these years? We’re arch nemesis for crying out loud! Plus, I already decided to support you Donghae!” said Jaejoong.

“Well undecided your decision then! Do you know what I expect from you? I expect a fair fight over Jessica’s heart. I don’t want you to just hand over the trophy even though I did nothing to deserve it.” Said Donghae.

Jaejoong whined and said, “But she hates me! It won’t be fair either way! Just get Jessica already!”

Donghae pulled Jaejoong’s face in his hands and made Jaejoong stare at his eyes and said, “Jaejoong, snap out of it. Don’t act like a baby now! If you act like this, you can never beat me and win over Jessica.”

Jaejoong just pulled his head out of Donghae’s grasp and pouted.

Donghae sighed and sneakily said, “From the last time I heard, Jessica liked you…”

“WHAT?! THAT’S A LIE!! SHE HATES MY GUTS!!” screamed the wide-eyed Jaejoong.

Donghae shook his head and said, “Nope. I heard it myself with my own two ears even though I wished it was a lie.”

Jaejoong smiled and punch lightly Donghae on the arm. Donghae laughed and said, “Anyway! That means that you still have a chance with Jessica and you have a bigger advantage than I do so please, don’t let your best friend feel guilty and play fair with him.”

Jaejoong sighed and said, “Fine… But I’m warning you; this is the biggest mistake of your life!”

Donghae shrugs his shoulders and said, “Eh, oh well. At least I know that it’ll be fair for the both of us.” And then the two of them shook hands.

While they were shaking hands, Jaejoong asked, “So does this make us enemies or rivals?”

Donghae, whose hand was still shaking Jaejoong, said, “I guess so? We can be like frienemies or something? Enemy by day but friends at night?”

“Umm… that sounds really wrong… How about friends all the time but enemies when it is needed?” said Jaejoong while shaking hands with Donghae still.

By now, they were ready to close off the deal and shook hands for the last time and before they broke apart, they both yelled out, “DEAL!”

After that, they both return to position in their seats and just sat there in awkward silence. Then Jaejoong began to snicker and said, “Dude, I gave you 3 years and you’re still ‘just friends’ with Jessica?”

“HEY!!! It’s not my fault! During those 3 years, Jessica was going crazy that you guys weren’t friends anymore! I tried to comfort her but she wouldn’t listen to me…” responded Donghae.

“Right… Maybe this is an easy victory for me after all.” laughs Jaejoong.

Donghae threw a light punch at Jaejoong and said, “Dude, I’m clearly going to be the winner here. I’ll be turning on my A game tomorrow while you sit there eating my dust.” 

“Mhmm… Sure… Whatever you say buddy.” Replies Jaejoong.

The two of them begin laughing hysterically in the back seat of Donghae’s car, at 11p.m., where people would normally be sleeping by now. Even though Jaejoong and Donghae declared war on each other and became frienemies, they both knew that they could only do something this stupid with their best friend. Like the old saying said, “All is fair in love and war” 


WOOO! I’m finally done writing this long chapter. Sooo… What do you guys think of this? Is it really fair in love and war? Hehehe By the way, I been watching too many “How I Met Your Mother” and that’s how I got the idea for the Bro Code. Thank you Barney Stinson : )

 

Anyway, after you read about who likes who, I decided to make a poll to see who the readers want to see as a couple. Please vote in the poll so I can get an idea of how to write the rest of this story.  The polls will be on the next page I think.

 

Chapter 17: Probably 2 weeks from now? Too many exams coming up this week Dx If I feel like procrastinating then I might write more :)