Chapter 15

Love in the Time of the Ice Princess

[On the way to Taeyeon’s House]

“Okay seriously, I don’t understand why Jaejoong is here in the first place.”

During the whole ride to Taeyeon’s house, Jaejoong and I have been bickering over everything. And when I say everything, I mean EVERYTHING! The moment the long black limo arrives, we were fighting on who gets to go in first but then we didn’t care about the other person so we try to get in the door first but then Jaejoong and I got stuck in between the hard door because that stupid idiot wouldn’t let the lady go first. He is so inconsiderate. Plus it is his fault that delayed meeting up with Taeyeon and I even have to help clean up even though I didn’t even get in trouble this time!

“For your information Ms. Ice Princess, I have my own business with Junsu and I want to know everything that Taeyeon know. And when I say everything, I mean when did he get back, why is he here, what was he doing, who let him back in the country and how did he magically ended up going to the same school as us! Also, It is not my fault that we had to wait a bit before going to Taeyeon house! Donghae got in trouble too so it wasn’t entirely my fault, right Donghae?” Jaejoong said while turning his face towards Donghae.

Donghae just smile politely with his shiny white teeth and said, “Right… “

For some reasons, Donghae looked uncomfortable at the moment but I didn’t really know why but he just does…

I looked at Donghae and then back at Jaejoong then at Tiffany and Yuri, and once again, back to Jaejoong.

“Okay seriously, why is Jaejoong here?” I asked once again.

By now Tiffany, Yuri, and Donghae started bursting out laughing and you can see Jaejoong ruffling through his golden brown hair, screaming back at me, “DID YOU NOT HEAR A WORD I SAID EARLIER?!?! I HAVE SOME IMPORTANT THINGS TO TALK ABOUT WITH TAEYEON TOO!!”

“Well even though you have to talk to Taeyeon, why are you here with us in this car… Don’t you have your own car? Also, you don’t even hang out with us so why are you tagging along with us again?” I said.

Jaejoong looked dumbstrucked when I said that but then he smiled as if a light bulb finally lit up in his peanut size head and he said, “Well it is more convenient to go together.” and then he smiles once again as if he won the Nobel Prize.

As I was about to open my mouth to tell him how idiotic that was, Yuri stops me by saying, “OKAYYY GUYS! We know that Jaejoong is here because he needed to talk to Taeyeon and it was convenient and blhlabhlahblahba. ON THE BRIGHT SIDE, we’re here!” 

I looked outside and I could see the tall gray gate with the Kim’s family emblem. The long gate slowly reverts back on its track, allowing us to enter. The moment the limo drove onto the pavement, it was as if we were on a tour limo, guiding us through a beautiful garden full of lavishing decorative flowers and trees. We pass by the 30ft fountain of a goddess that was pouring out water with a vase. After a few minutes or so, we finally made it to the valet parking where we switched over to a golf cart which drove us toward the front of Taeyeon’s large mansion and the moment Tiffany got out of the limo, her jaw literally fell to the ground.

“T…Th..THI… THIS IS TAEYEON’S HOUSE?!?!?!” yelled a bewildered little mushroom girl as though she has been in a candy store for the first time.

“Ummm… yeah? Have you forgotten that the people who goes to Seoul Academy are rich kids?” Jaejoong said in a snotty rich boy tone.

Then I said, “Oh yeah, Tiffany had the same reaction when she came over to my house last time. She got excited over how big the stairs were and everything.” 

Donghae, Jaejoong, and Yuri all laughed and then Jaejoong said, “If you get this excited over Taeyeon and Jessica’s house, just wait until you see my house!”

I gave Jaejoong a strange look and said, “Why would Tiffany go to your house…”

Then Yuri and Donghae nod together wondering why in the world would Tiffany ever need to go to Jaejoong house.

The conceited Prince Jaejoong scoffs and said, “because I’m Prince Jaejoong and I’m awesome!”

Donghae laughs and said, “Okay, calm down Jaejoong. Anyway, isn’t Tiffany so cute getting excited over the littlest thing?” and once again, Donghae went over to Tiffany and pats her head as though she is some kind of fluffy animal. Also, Tiffany’s eyes went all sparkly again the moment Donghae patted her head. That girl needs to get her eyes check because I don’t think sparkly eyes are normal…

We finally made it to the front of Taeyeon’s mansion. The golf cart that drove us was either low on gas or the driver was new because he took about 10 minutes just to get us to the door. Anyway, the surprisingly young butler led us to Taeyeon room and as I knock on Taeyeon’s bedroom door, you can tell everyone was anticipating something else.

When Taeyeon opens the door, what we saw was different from what we expected. Well, we knew that Taeyeon wouldn’t look so good after seeing Junsu but we didn’t expect her to look devastated and confused at the same time.

“TAEYEON! Omg, what happened to you?!” Jaejoong yelled out of shock.

Everyone just glared at him giving him eye signals and then Jaejoong fixed his sentence to, “Oh I mean, wooooow…. Long time no see…”

I just shook my head and said, “Jaejoong shut up.” And he actually listens and closed his mouth. Then I went over to Taeyeon and said, “Ohh Taengo! What’s wrong!”

Taeyeon, who currently look like a possess zombie, just led us into her room and gesture us to sit down. “Sorry that I didn’t go to school today…”

Yuri went over to sit with Taeyeon and said, “Don’t worry about it! Missing one day of school isn’t going to kill you… although today almost killed me but we’re not here to talk about me so lets go back on topic and talk about you Taengo!”

Taeyeon look at Yuri while slightly raising one of her eyebrows making it seems that Taeyeon know that something suspicious have happened.

Before Taeyeon can ask us anything, I barged into the conversation and said, “WELL TAENGO! Going back on topic, what happened yesterday between you and Junsu? Did he say anything that make you want to tell me to tell Donghae to beat him up for you?”

“I don’t beat people up Jessica…” Donghae said with a worried tone.

Taeyeon let out a long sigh and then proceeded with, “It’s not really something that would need a beating… but it is still problematic. Well you see…”



[Flashback to the soccer game where Junsu and Taeyeon talked alone]

Taeyeon Point of View


I grabbed Junsu by the arm and dragged him off the bleachers and towards the empty field away from the game.

“Taeyeon, can you not pull so hard. My arm might fall off.” Junsu said.

I let go of his slender arm and turned around facing Junsu with an angry expression and yelled out, “Why are you here Junsu? Are you back to make a fool out of me again because if you are, you picked on the wrong girl to mess with!” 

By now I didn’t even notice it, but I was stomping around in circle, making giant hand motion while saying, “You know what? If you’re expecting that you could just apologize to me and everything will be fine, you are dead wrong! After all the traumas you put me through, you think you can just waltz back into my life? Don’t expect anything from me at all because I have changed and grew stronger during the time you were gone and you can’t push me around with your silly games anymore!”

I still have the mean glare on my face as I was trying to catch my breath after all the huffing and puffing but when I look up at Junsu, he just stood there smiling. 

Then Junsu calmly said, “You’re right. You are stronger than before and I won’t do anything to hurt you anymore.” 

“I SAID I DIDN’T WANT TO HEAR YOUR APOLOG… wait what?” I was kind of confused with his response because it wasn’t I had in mind. Like more this and that? Like you know… a bit more… actually I don’t know what kind of reaction to expect in the first place but it still sounded weird. 

A slight chuckle escaped from his mouth as he said, “I said that you are stronger than before meaning that you grown up to be a mature young lady.”

I was quite taken back by his remark because, wow, someone believes that I’m a mature young lady now. This is actually the first time I was call mature! Even as being the president of the student council, people were always calling me the kid leader, or dorky leader, or shorty leader, and etc. I guess the title of being the kid leader is finally gone! 

Aside from my fantasy of being a young lady, I turned to Junsu and said, “Thanks for the kind remark but now that I’m a mature young lady, I would like to ask a mature question and wish to receive a mature answer along with that. Can I trust that you are mature enough to give me a mature answer Junsu?”

“Why certainly, Miss Kim Taeyeon.” Junsu reply back

Hehehe, being mature is kind of fun… anyway, must stay focus! I stopped giggling to myself and looked into Junsu’s dark brown eyes and said as calmly as I could without shedding a tear, “Why…? Why did you lie to me and use me up like a sponge? Was it fun playing with my heart?”

Once those words left my mouth, I felt my whole body freezing up as my heart was crying out to stop the pain of 3 years ago. 3 years ago, when I allowed myself to open up my heart and share my vulnerability with someone other than myself. It’s funny how you think you know someone to the very tip of their hair but at the same time, you don’t. I was blinded by love and it led to my heart’s destruction. 

By now, Junsu have gotten the hint that anything he say can break me and he confidently said, “Taeyeon, I will promise to tell you the truth and nothing but the truth about what happened 3 years ago.”

Junsu started off by telling me about his family’s situation and that they were poor to begin with and his dad have been stressing out over everything lately and couldn’t get ends to meet. One day when his day saw the present that I gave him in his room, his dad went ballistic, thinking that Junsu have been stealing his dad’s money to buy useless stuff. When Junsu told his dad that he didn’t buy the present but that his girlfriend has given it to him, his dad immediately wanted to sell it to pay for their never ending debt.

At first, Junsu refuse to sell it because it was the first present that he has ever received from the person he likes and that present held sentimental value to him. Junsu’s dad ended up getting angry and started to beat him up and that explained why Junsu was absent from school that one week. Both of his parents were forcing him to give up the present because they had nothing left and could even loose their house so Junsu finally agrees to their proposal.

Times got even tougher as his dad kept badgering Junsu about getting more expensive item from his girlfriend and if he doesn’t, then he is a failure as a son and his dad threaten to beat him up some more. Junsu couldn’t refuse his father because of the filial piety he had towards his parents so he agreed yet at the same time, he was killing himself inside for deceiving me. 

Junsu even thought of breaking up with me so he can stop hurting me before it’s too late, but then his dad found out beforehand and that was when I was kidnapped.

When I was rescued, Junsu said that he could have told me the truth, but the hole he dug for himself was too deep to crawl out of, so he made it seem like he was the bad guy so I can forget about him.



[End of flashback]



Taeyeon continues talking sorrowfully by saying, “After hearing the truth behind Junsu’s tragic past, I couldn’t understand what I should do in this type of situation. Half of myself is telling me to ignore all sense of empathy I had for him but the other half is worried about him. This was kind of the reason why I didn’t go to school today because I’m still confused over this whole situation…”

Everyone was still trying to digest the whole story but Tiffany was quit to jump the gun and surprise us all by saying, “I think you guys should give him a chance.”

Without any signal, everybody yelled out in unison, “WHAT?!?!?!”

The tiny mushroom girl just stared back at us with her confident brown eyes and said, “Well I don’t see why you guys can’t just give him one chance. It’s just one chance for him to deem himself worthy and he sounded really sincere when he was talking to me earlier too.”

I still can’t believe what Tiffany was trying propose and I started to say, “Earth to Tiffany! That person is Kim Junsu! We can’t just magically be friends with him out of nowhere!”

Tiffany responded back by saying, “Well Earth to Jessica! This is exactly why you guys should give him one chance! Just one chance to prove himself worthy and if he truly cares about Taeyeon, he’ll take this chance seriously no matter what! If he screws up on this one chance then you guys can do whatever you guys want to him but please, just ONE chance?” and she looked back at us, palms together with her sparkly brown eyes piercing us as she begs on behalf of Junsu.

The room is filled with “ehh…” and “maybe…” and then some shoulder shrugging action, people scratching their head because they can’t think of a good answer and what not. 

I looked over at Taeyeon, who happens to look like a defenseless fluffy white sheep (I don’t know why, but she just does. Don’t question me and my fantasy).

Back to reality, Taeyeon, who still look like a defenseless fluffy white sheep, opens her shy mouth and said, “Guys… I think… I think I should think about it first before we rush into anything? I’ll spend this whole night to think about what to do. I promise I will go to school tomorrow but I just wish that you guys would support me with the answer I choose. Whatever conclusion I come with anyway.”

When Tiffany heard Taeyeon’s decision, she couldn’t stay still in her seat and started bouncing up and down with excitement. The smile Tiffany wore on her face was priceless as it seems as thought she have done something right which is really adorkable… I just want to pinch her cheeks for some reason… (Okay, seriously. What is up with my fantasy these days…)

At the same time, a smile appears on Donghae’s face as he walks over to Tiffany and pats her on the head and whispers to her, “Good job Tiffany!” then he face towards us and said, “I guess we got to the end of this kind of?”

Everyone laughs for a bit and Yuri said, “Yeah I guess so? Since we’re done talking, I think it’s about time to go home. Plus it’s getting dark outside.” 

Taeyeon smiles and walk over towards Yuri, Tiffany and I and hugs us while saying thank you to Tiffany for helping come to an decision sort of. Donghae also came over and walked with Tiffany while complimenting how she was sort of a lifesaver, while Yuri and Taeyeon were walking out the door.

I, on the other hand, was stuck all alone with Jaejoong as we proceed out the door. It was nice seeing the back view of my friends having a good time together and I couldn’t help myself but smile.

“Oh… I wonder why the Ice Princess is smiling out of nowhere.” Smirked Prince Jaejoong.

For a second, I totally forgot that I was walking with Jaejoong and was shock to hear his voice right next to me.

“Okay seriously, why are you here?” I asked for the last time. 

By now, Jaejoong was ready to yank his golden brown hair out of his head and go bald. He angrily said, “FOR THE LAST TIME JESSICA!!! I JUST WANTED TO KNOW WHY JUNSU IS BACK! CUT ME SOME SLACK ALREADY!!!” and then he squat down with his hands on his forehead as if he was having a headache.

It was kind of funny to see THE PRINCE JAEJOONG squatting down like a commoner. Actually, it was really funny and I ended up laughing out loud like a complete dork while Jaejoong just stare at me shaking his head with a slight smile on his face.

“You know, you are really pretty when you’re happy.” Jaejoong said with a smile on his face while squatting down still.

There was a sort of tingling sensation running across my face as bubbles started to form in my stomach. My chest tightens, as his words wraps themselves around, like a blanket would, making me feel warm. I have no idea how to react to his words except by standing there like a complete idiot, while trying to cover my strawberry colored face. 

Only a few stutters can be heard behind my hand, but I gain a bit of confidence and remove my hands from my face and was about to open my mouth to say something and then…

“Jaejoong! Jessica! Why are you guys walking so slow?”

I quickly gave out my dolphin-like shriek as a reflex in response to the unexpected Donghae who magically appeared out of nowhere.

“Oh sorry Sica, by the way, Jaejoong and I are going to leave togeth….”

Before Donghae could finish what he was saying, I ran off saying, “I’M GOING HOME BY MYSELF! BYEE!”

I can’t believe what have been happening to me lately. Every time Jaejoong is around me, I’m supposed to argue with him and make him cry like a girl but now, freaking butterflies and bubbles are forming in my stomach! I don’t clearly understand why, but Jaejoong is slowly reopening that wound that I have hidden in my heart for the past 3 years. I just understand life anymore.



[Back to the Boys]



“Hmmm, well that was unexpected.” Said the confused Donghae with a slight smile on his face. 

Jaejoong, who was still squatting down like a commoner, quickly shot up and awkwardly responded back with, “Yeah… Jessica is so weird right? Ha… Ha-ha? By the way, what were you saying again?”

Donghae’s smile quickly disappeared from his face as he said to Jaejoong, “Oh, I called my driver to come pick us up separately so we can finish our ‘talk’ from this morning.”

Jaejoong’s expression also changed as his eyes flickers with charisma as he responded back, “Oh right, the ‘talk…’”



I bet you guys weren't expecting this either :) but teehee we finally got over the truth behind Junsu and all we have left is to wait for Taeyeon to make a decision but I think with help of Tiffany, it made it easier for Taeyeon to think of an answer. Also, JaeSica? hoot hoot. As for Donghae and Jaejoong's "talk"... the hidden past will unravel in the next chapter !