Epilogue

When We Met in Autumn

July 16, 2012 – 3:09AM

“Aren’t you tired?” I heard her say. 

Turning my body to face hers, I look over to my beautiful girl; her slight tan skin is glistening under the moonlight shining through the blinds of my room.  I smile at her tired expression and I could tell that she was trying very hard to stay awake for me.

“I should be, shouldn’t I,” I say as a statement instead of as a question.

I hear Amber laugh lightly, her eyes closing in the process.  Her angelic smile taking control of my heart.  “I mean, considering we went for a round 2…”

“Oh shut up,” I say teasingly and poke her forehead.  I watch her create a cute and unpleasing expression of feigned disgust.

“At least we get a nice break now,” I voiced, changing the topic.

Amber nods.  “Yeah, for sure.”  She childishly scoots over closer to me, using her head to move my arms and rests her face into the crook of my neck and my chest—a chuckle escaping my mouth.  “You smell good,” she mumbles.

“To be honest,” I begin.  “You always tell me that and I never fully believe it.”

“Huh?” Amber questions with confusion.  “Why?”

“Because baby,” I say.  “It’s right after we have .  And it’s the summer.  I sweat, too, you know.”

“Yeah but you don’t smell horrible,” Amber reasons.  “I guess the right term is: I love your smell.

Before I can speak, she abruptly lifts her head to meet my eyes.  “Wait.”  She makes a face.  “Do I smell?”

I chuckle.  “Yeah, you smell worse than Shindong’s shoes.”

Amber drops and shakes her head.  “That’s low, Krys!”

I laugh at her emphasis and sarcasm at the same time.  I playfully smack her.  “Obviously, I’m kidding, stupid.”

Amber shakes her head again and goes back into the crevice of my body.  “Okay good,” I hear her say.  “Because if I did, there would be a problem.”

I lightly laugh again to her statement as I begin to play with her hair.  Electric Shock promotions were finally over—a long month of promoting that has been.  We get a nice three days off from the madness and I seriously could use it.  Not just to spend it with Amber but to just simply relax and have time to myself, too.  Time is precious.  Very precious.  And I truly hadn’t realized how precious until she came back and our popularity skyrocketed during Pinnochio (Danger).  I can’t even begin to—

“Krys.”

She broke my train of thoughts.  “Yeah?”

Amber got away from me slowly and rested on her right elbow.  I see her hesitate for a moment.  “Have you ever thought about like—getting married?”

I blink and I could immediately feel my heart in my throat.  I know what “marriage” is and it’s definitely a big step.  Because the topic of “marriage” leads to the topic of “kids”—depending on the couple at least, but even then—

“Sorry,” I hear Amber say as she breaks my thoughts again.  “Is that a loaded question?”

I shake my head vigorously.  “No, no.”  I swallow the lump in my throat.  “Of course not.”  I inhale sharply.  “Yes,” I answer.  “I have.”  I pause.  “I just honestly thought that I was the only one so I never brought it up.”

Amber chuckles and her smile lights up my heart—I fall in love all over again.  “Believe me,” she says.  “You’re not.”

I smile briefly and nod as a response.  I look down to my bed sheets subconsciously and I could tell, even without looking at her, her face grows serious.  “Do you think we ever will?” I hear her ask.

I bring my eyes up to look into her own.  It was filled with a mixture of excitement and… fear.  And I could definitely understand why.  I think about her question for a minute and my heart stays positive.  Although it is in reality a big step—a major step, even—I’m almost positive that it crosses the minds of two people who are mutually in love with each other.

“Yes,” I respond.  I add a small shrug.  “I don’t know when to be honest with you, but I think we will.”

“No one would have to know, anyways,” Amber voices.

“True,” I say.  “But doesn’t that type of thing require witnesses?”

Amber chuckles.  “Not in Vegas, I think.”

I widened my eyes and an uncomfortable laugh escapes my mouth.  “I do NOT want to get married in Vegas, Amber.”

I see my beautiful girl laugh with me.  “I’m kidding, babe.  I don’t want to get married in Vegas, either.”  She gives me a genuine smile.  “Well, all we would need is like two, right?”

I hesitantly nod, breaking the motions here in there.  To be honest, I didn’t know the answer to that with solid proof and evidence of the matter but that seemed about right.  I see her shrug.  “Luna and Jay.”  She claps her hands and laughs.  “There!  We’re married!”

I blush (I still can’t believe I do that with her) and I smile.  I playfully push her.  “We never even proposed to each other, stupid.”

Amber finishes her laugh and establishes a fixed and very tired smile on her face, passionately gazing into my eyes.  “One day, though,” she begins.  “I plan on it.”

I continue to hold her stare and I nod.  “So do I.”

We continue to look at each other in the eye and I feel everything become still.  This was so common whenever I was alone with Amber and I never wanted to leave it.  For a moment, we forget who we are in status and live for who we are as people.  It’s a moment that I crave for more and more every day.  I reach over to gently caress her face and a second after, I carefully place a small kiss on her lips.  I bring our foreheads to touch as we continue to live in this silence—the silence meant for us—this moment meant for us.

I am so in love with you, Amber Liu.