Chapter 12

When We Met in Autumn

2009 . 06 . 06 – 9:12am

A slender figure stood at the door she had quietly opened.  Her head wasn’t on her shoulders and seeing the small sight in front of her made her limbs tingle all over again—the type of tingle that Krystal didn’t like.  No, she didn’t like it at all.  She found herself staring at the pair in the bed across the room, sleeping and what it seemed, arms wrapped around each other under the covers.  Krystal sighed slowly to herself once she made eye contact to what she thought was black-laced on the floor and she sure knew damn well that those did not belong to Amber.

If reliving emotions from no less than twelve hours ago was possible, Krystal was on a role for the past few days with it.  She swallowed the lump that had developed in —a common thing she had to do now, she realized—because she continued to fight her emotions with her thinking process.  Krystal couldn’t begin to decipher why it was so difficult to understand or figure out why she felt this way.  She moved her frozen limbs and began to walk out of the room but was stopped after hearing her name called with a deep, croaky and sleepy voice.

“Krystal?”

She turned her head and found Amber clumsily getting out of bed but also making sure that Vanessa didn’t wake up in the process.  Despite her kill-worthy actions, the older girl remained asleep and didn’t move a bit.  Amber struggled to keep her eyes open and they started to sting trying to readjust to the brightness in the room, blinking multiple times.  She knew Krystal saw them in bed and couldn’t help but rush to give an explanation.  Without a response, Krystal walked out of the room and Amber followed, gently grabbing the younger girl by her left arm, turning her around.

“It’s not what it looks like in there,” Amber pleaded.

Krystal got out of Amber’s grasp.  “I wasn’t assuming anything,” she lied.  She crossed her arms.  “She shouldn’t be here, anyways, Amber.”

Amber gave a face of surprise at the sudden attitude in the morning.  She couldn’t think of anything to say for the moment, still adjusting to being awoken up and suddenly feeling like she was in an interrogation room.  She ran her hand through her hair to get rid of the bed hair strands away from her face.  Krystal swallowed at the action, suddenly becoming slightly attracted to it.  She mentally kicked herself for thinking that way.  I’m not gay, she told herself.

“So she slept over,” Amber repeated what was already known, “What’s the issue?”

Krystal rolled her eyes.  “The issue is that no one is allowed to be over here to begin with.”

“You don’t even dorm with us and you’re here,” Amber shot back.  She felt the heat grow inside her and Krystal did, too.

“But the difference is that I’m your BAND MEMBER; did you forget about that?”

Amber’s eyes slightly widened as her eyebrows scrunched together.  “What is that supposed to mean?” she questioned lowly.

“Ugh,” Krystal groaned loudly as she ran her hand through her hair.  She shook her head, “Listen, lover boy, I’m just trying to save your from getting in trouble.”

Amber took a step forward closer to the younger girl in front of her and Krystal saw the same look she gave when they had gotten into that argument in the staircase back in school.  She felt clog up at the fact that she made her best friend angry…again.

“Don’t make a scene,” Amber asserted firmly.  Krystal looked away.  She knew she shouldn’t have come here to their dorm but she couldn’t sleep all night and her early morning walk to figure out how she felt and why ended up being in front of their dorm.  Ironically enough, Luna was running around the neighborhood and had passed Krystal during her routine.  They greeted each other for a bit as Luna handed her the key to let her in adding that she’d buy some breakfast for everyone once she was done.

And then she ended up here; widely awake, angry, frustrated and purely upset.  “Don’t worry,” Krystal said, still looking away as she broke the silence, “I wasn’t going to.”

Amber sighed with frustration.  She flailed her arms not knowing how else to express how she felt physically, “You know, I don’t get you,” she exclaimed.  It grabbed a look from Krystal.  “When Jay and them are here, you don’t give a sh*t.”  She began to pace in a small line back and forth in front of her band member, stopping every single time she had to speak.  “Now Vanessa’s here and it’s an issue,” she said a little louder.  “What the is the problem, Krystal?  Tell me.”

What was the problem?  Krystal had to replay that sentence in her head.  She continued to look down at the floor thinking of anything she could say to deviate the argument.  It was close to ten in the morning and she lost all energy the minute Amber became angry; she didn’t have it in her to fight but she found herself fighting with the androgynous girl in front of her, anyways.

She raised her head to make eye contact with Amber.  “Because only one could assume what the hell happened in that room when your arms are wrapped around each other,” Krystal paused after raising her voice.  She blinked multiple times and looked away, attempting to feign the availability to Amber knowing she was about to cry.  “And when there’s underwear on the floor knowing that they don’t belong to you.”

Amber continued to stare the girl down.  She clenched her teeth.  “That doesn’t mean anything, Krystal,” she stated lowly.

Krystal dropped .  Seriously?  “Oh, give me a ing break, Amber!” she screamed.  She cursed to herself in Korean and put her hand to her head, feeling a headache develop.

“You know, I can hear you guys.”

The two averted their attention to the sudden voice at Amber and Luna’s room door.  Vanessa stood at the doorway half angry and half upset.  She heard every word the minute Amber walked out and she didn’t like it.  Krystal caught eyes to what she was wearing and saw the black-laced that she saw on the floor near the bedside, slimly around the girl’s bottom.  Amber caught it, too and looked back at the younger girl, opening to say something but nothing was coming out.

“I’m leaving,” Krystal stated lowly, but loud enough for the other two to hear.

“Krystal, wait,” Amber called out grabbing the girl’s arm in the process.  As a new reflex, Krystal pushed Amber away and they both did a double take at what just happened.

Krystal wanted to apologize but the more she stayed in that location, the more she felt her tears rising.  So instead of apologizing, she walked away, putting on her shoes.  As she was about to open the door, Luna had rang the doorbell and was greeted brightly by her other band member.

“Wow,” Luna giggled, “That was fa—“ She didn’t finish her sentence as Krystal walked out not acknowledging the other girl and stormed off, skipping the elevator and headed straight to the staircase.

Luna walked in and found her two friends standing still, Amber upset and Vanessa a little annoyed.  But she knew herself she felt a little upset, still, Vanessa thought, it didn’t give Krystal any right to react in the way she did.

“What happened?” Luna asked as she dropped the bag of food on the dining table.

Amber let out a sigh as she heard Vanessa walk back into the room, her arms still crossed.  She made eye contact with Luna, desperate as a puppy.

“Krystal knows.”