The second born

Obsession

Everything about Joonmyun's life so far had been about coming in second best. As the second born child in the family, he always knew that his parents would never shower him with as much attention, love and affection as his brother. His brother would be the one who grew up to run the family business, his brother was the smart one who always got the good grades at school. It was his brother who was seen as the most perfect being to have graced the planet.

Joonnyun didn't resent his brother because of this because he knew that if he had been the first born, he would be getting the exact same treatment. It was his parents who he resented.

Sure his older brother was essential in carrying on the family business... but it felt as though half the time Joonmyun's parents forgot they even had another son! It was usually his grandparents or the nanny who paid more attention to him, playing a better role of being parents than his own. The only time they every paid any kind of attention was whenever he slipped up.

Whenever his brother slipped up, his parents would always smile and gently reassure him that it was alright, there was always time to improve from them. If Joonmyun slipped up, no, let's rephrase that, Joonmyun was never allowed to slip up. God forbid what would happen to him if his parents found out.

 

"I'm home" Joonmyun muttered knowing that even if he was to shout it out properly for the whole house to hear, he wouldn't get a reply as some sort of acknowledgement of his return.

Sighing to himself, Joonmyun dumped his shoes, blazer and bag at the bottom of the stairs and made straight for the kitchen. Making sure that he kept Yixing hidden from everyone without everyone finding out what he was doing actually proved to be hard work!

"You're home late" came his dad's voice as Joonmyun looked towards the living room to find him and his mum sat there, as if awaiting his return
"I stayed behind to catch up on work, is that such a crime?" was his response and turned to continue on his journey for food
"Joonmyun" next came his mum's voice, causing him to groan. Usually when both of his parents came together and requested to speak to him, it meant that he was in trouble. When were they going to show any other concern towards him throughout the year anyway?

"Come" his dad said, indicating for Joonmyun to have a seat. His son, reluctantly, doing so as his wife stood up and the two of them stared at Joonmyun for a moment, thinking of how to start the conversation.

"Well?" Joonmyun asked, seeing his parents do nothing but stare at him
"We had a phone call from your maths teacher today" his dad began and Joonmyun held his breath for what he was about to say next.

"Apparently you're falling behind in the class, even falling a grade boundary" to which Joonmyun shrugged his shoulders
"You know I struggle in the subject" he replied
"But to drop a whole grade boundary?" his dad asked loudly, only to be stopped by his mum who lightly tapped him on the chest and tried to have her go in talking to her son.

"Are you doing this deliberately Joonmyun?" she asked, not even giving him a chance to answer before she continued
"We know you struggle, but you shouldn't be struggling this badly. Are you... are you doing this as some sort of cry for attention?"

"Why would I cry out for attention?" Joonmyun asked before it hit him and a smirk tugged at his lips
"Oh. You two think I'm doing this to get attention from you" before he began laughing "Why would I want you two to pay attention to me?"

"Well, the three of us haven't exactly had a good relationship throughout your childhood-"
"I wonder why that is" Joonmyun interrupted, leaning forward to see what his mum had to say next
"Joonmyun please don't interrupt your mother like this" his dad intervened upon seeing his wife flustered like so, clearing and composing herself before she continued.

"What I'm trying to say is that yes; me and your father may have neglected you a lot more than we shoud have when you were younger... but we were only doing this for the great-"
"You were doing this to benefit you guys and making sure that the business didn't fall. You didn't do this for me or for anyone else in this family" Joonmyun interrupted, not wanting to spare another minute of listening to his mum spewing total rubbish.

"Joonmyun please! For once in your life will you please just let us finish instead of interrupting like this all the time!" his dad shouted, the only response he got from his son being how he wiped his fingers over some spit that had gotten onto his face.

"We are concerned Joonmyun about how badly you're beginning to fall in your studies. We know that yes we paid more attention to your brother as you were growing up, but we are trying to apologise now" his mum continued, unphased by the scene that had just happened in front of her.

"What makes you think I want any aplogy from you two?" Joonmyun asked, waiting to see if his parents were going to say or do anything before he continued
"What makes you think I need you guys now? I've managed fine by myself over the years, especially with my grandparents and the nanny playing the role of the parents when you failed to do so. You're only showing 'concern' because once again I'm doing something wrong with my life! You two are, quite frankly the worst parents out there a-"

His father had never laid a hand on his children before, but the way Joonmyun was speaking to him, how he was being called a bad parent... it just compelled him to slap his son across the face, hard. All Joonmyun could do was sit there and bring his hand up to where he had been slapped.

"What's going on? I heard something of a commotion or something" came a new voice, three pairs of eyes turning to look at the older brother who stood in the doorway, concern plastering his face
"Nothing is going on dear. Everything is fine we promise" his mother replied in the sickly sweet voice that made Joonmyun scoff and walk straight out of the room, straight up to his bedroom where he locked himself away from everyone around him like he had been so accustomed to before.

Everything about Joonmyun's life so far had been about coming in second best...


Yikes I left a gap between the last update and this update o.O

But hey ho!

So yeah, kind of did this chapter to get a sort of insight into what Joonmyun's life is like when he's not being the psychopath fan of Yixing's

Until the next chapter!