Crestfallen

Like Spring
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I peaked into the room without getting caught. I had to, I heard screaming, pain maybe? Just as I peaked in, I see a woman of some sort wearing odd clothing, her hair was covered and she wore gloves and a mask. That must be the uniform, yes?

I'm currently at a hospital, but all I wondered was, why am I here?

The lady back there in the room was holding something, or someone, someone I have never seen before. He was tiny and fragile but he's crying just like my mother who I heard screaming just a moment ago.

He was attatched to something, a string on his belly button. Is it a string? He's connected to my mother.

"Congratulations! Its a baby boy." The woman smiled to my mother.

My mother smiled slightly in response but she lied there on the bed, tired and doused in sweat.

"We have to cut the umbillical chord." The same woman announced.

Umbillical chord? Whats that? 

I saw the woman grab a pair of scissors, odd-looking ~ just like her clothes. Before I knew it, she cut the connection between that little boy and my mother. ~ I'm guessing thats the umbilical chord.

The little boy snivelled hard.

She passes it to my mothers embrace as my father adored that little kid, soon enough, he quietened down as she gently shook him.

"He has your eyes." The corner of my mothers smile slowly went up, showing her teeth.

"Hes beautiful." My father carressed the babys face.

Who is this kid?

"Park Jung Hwan." My mother cooed.

My dad stood up straight as if he's forgotten something or in the midst of remembering something.

"I'll go and get Bom." He showed excitement.

Quickly, I ran back to the seat outside the room and acted as if I never saw anything.

I fiddled with my fingers and dangled my feet down low, swinging just before he came out.

"Bom-ah." He smiled, calling out my name. "I have a surprise for you." he held out his hand for me to take and eventually I did.

We both walked inside, hand in hand as I my thumb out of nervousness.

The same lady with the mask stood infront of us, getting in my way.

"Well who do we have here?" she said in a higher pitch than the last time I heard her, then she crouched down to face me.

"This is my eldest daughter, Bom. She is six years old." My father proudly announced, patting my head without messing up my braids.

"I think you'll like the surprise your parents prepared for you." she winked at me.

I reluctantly took my thumb out of my mouth. "What is it?"

"I think its best if you find out yourself." she smiled widely once again and got out of my way.

I saw my mother lying down on the same bed with a light shining on her and that little boy. Who was he? Was a question that rung inside my head repeatedly.

"Mommy!" I squeeled, running towards her with open arms.

She smiled back and tilted her arms so I could see the boy clearly.

The bed was too high for me, I went on my tippy toes to see him sleeping.

"Whats that?" I pointed.

"This is your new brother." She replied, she wasnt able to stop smiling.

"My brother?" I naively repeated. I'm an only child, having a brother is foreign to me.

She hummed a yes. "His name is Park Jung Hwan."

"Park Jung Hwan?" I repeated again. "But 'Park' is my name." I frowned.

"It's all of our names." she explained.

"Thats not right!" I confidently squeeked, showing a cheeky side of myself.

I heard whispers from the back of me, it turned out to be the doctor giving information to my father. Before I knew it, he escorted me out of the room.

He lifted me up and placed me back on the seat I sat on before and knelt down on one knee. 

"Bom, please stay here. Okay?"

I nodded my head with a slight smile added.

"I'll come back for you again, dont worry."

"Where are you going daddy?"

"There's going to be another surprise for you."

I gasped. "Another brother?!"

"You'll see." he winked before going back to the room.

I waited.

And waited.

And again, the screams of terror came back.

Thats when I expected another brother to come out so I didnt bother otherwise of going back in to look.

But...

He took an awful long time to call me back in.

I cluelessly jumped out of the seat and peaked once again.

I see two new small babies. Both looked the same and both were quiet as they were being held by two new womans in masks.

I heard sobbing. Sobbing from my father.

I observed the room to see the woman earlier covering my mothers head with a blanket.

What happened?

***

I stared down onto the grass where my mothers name was graved onto a squared stone.

I was wearing black.

We all were.

A tall man stood beside it reciting some words from a book. Dad calls it a bible and he called the man a priest.

I didnt listen. There were too much words I couldnt understand.

If only there was some simplicity, I may have paid attention for a few moments.

But I did look...on my mothers grave that read:

Park Yeouleum

Born 16th January, 1966

Died 10th July, 1998

I could read some words and those I read clearly but had no idea what it meant.

After the cermony ended, the people who I do not know didnt leave without giving a sincere thought to my father. Something about 'Condolence's. What's a Condolence?

But by the end was only me and my father holding my two new siblings. Park Jung Hwan and Park Hana. They're twins; a boy and a girl whom my father told me to treasure.

"Where's mommy?" I gaped up at my father who's already tearing up.

It must be difficult holding the twins at the same time.

Before speaking, he places the twins on the stroller and knelt down in front of me, holding onto my hands tightly. "Momy's in a better place now."

"Did she leave us?" I looked at him with sorrow, not capable of holding my tears.

"No...she's always watching over us."

I smiled a little knowing she's near. "Where is she watching us?"

"Up in the clouds." He pointed up north.

"How did she get up there?"

"That doesnt matter. ~ Whats important is that she's with you wherever you go."

I noticed a link tree nearby, apparently its called a blossom tree ~ what a pretty name. But its smaller than me.

I stared back at the grave and whispered, "Mommy, are you listening?" just then, a gush of wind blew my hair gently.

***

3 years later

I'm currently 9 years old, my siblings are 2 years old turning 3 in a months time. They can crawl, walk and talk just a little. ~ Small talk. Words such as 'Dada', 'Bommie', 'Corn' etc. They love corn, I guess I influenced them.

They've grown up to be well mannered, they say please and thank you when they ask for food.

Now they're learning how to bow without falling down, its going to take some practice but they can do it.

Its a normal Sunday morning, dads cooking up some breakfast as I entertain them in the nearby living room.

We're living happily despite not having a woman in the family to take care of us but everything is going fine and we know shes always with us.

"Breakfast is ready!" he called through the walls, organising the table prefectly as he always does.

I help put the kids onto the baby chairs, I'm quite a strong girl for a 9 year old, but it was all for my siblings.

I sat down by the table as my father was still bringing food to the table.

I first off did the sign of the cross before eating. I prayed. ~ I gave thanks for having a great father who is able to put food on our plates, for practically raising us alone and helping himself.

I'm satisfied.

In the middle of praying, the sound of plates cracking onto the floor struck my mind.

I swiftly ran to the area where I found my father on the floor surrounded by broken glass.

"Daddy!" I screeched, slopping down onto the floor, burrying my face into his shirt, smelling his scent.

He had trouble breathing, his voice was queesy and weak. 

I stopped crying, knowing that there is no time to waste.

I ran for the phone, despite my bad breathing, I didnt hesitate to ring the ambulance.

I told the woman on the line whats happening, my address, everything.

She hung up after she told me that emergency help is on the way. I weeped into my fathers arms before they came. 

I already accepted the fact that he's most likely gone, especially after hearing no heart beat from his chest.

***

12 years ran past quickly.

Us 3 Park siblings had been raised by warm-hearted ladies who took us in a month after our father passed away. We were bought up to respect others, to give than to recieve, and to live well without greed.

Yes, thats right. ~ We were adopted by nuns.

A spiritual and religious life we have been living but we were contented.

But today was the day that I'm finally legal and able to get my own place.

With the money I have saved for years after working part time in a café, I have more than enough to pay rent for myself and my siblings. And there should be no problem paying for university and their school expenses, especially the inhertiance both mother and father passed down.

Everything is going to go smoothly.

Or so I thought.

 

 

"Bye! I wish you kids a happy life." The mothers bid their goodbyes as the three of us offered a warm hug as a thanks for welcoming us into their home and treating us like their own for 12 years.

Mother Yunsoo, the senior, eldest and head nun, the one we first met, was giving an individual goodbye as she sat down at the end of the hallway with authority.

"Hana, please behave and don't get into too much trouble." She advised.

"Was I that much of a trouble maker?" she chuckled before going in for a deep hug.

"No." Mother Yunsoo laughed along. "And always be careful, okay? Sometimes we all forget how clumsy you can be."

"I'll try my best, mother." She bowed and stepped aside for Jung Hwans turn.

"Goodbye mother." his lips

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter