Lamented

Like Spring
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The sentance still lingers in my thoughts: 'It'll be like nothing ever happened. In the end, she doesnt have to know' 

Who is he talking about?

Could it possibly be me? Is the 'she' he's reffering to is me? If so, is he hiding something from me? What do I not have to know?

Dammit, so many questions, so little time to be answered.

Jung Hwan is still heard on the phone. "Okay, bye Chiaoxiang."

 

 

 

Chiaoxiang?! He's on the phone with Chiaoxiang?! Last time I checked he called him his 'enemy'. My eyes widened at his laid back phonecall with him, what happened to being rivals?

I stormed in the room infront of his eyes instantly when he hung up.

"What was that about?" Looking down on him, I demanded.

"School. You wouldnt know."

I examined him carefully, I looked at his throat before he even spoke and he gulped a wad of spit down. Thats how I know hes lying.

"Okay, this time, tell the truth, you call him your enemy now your best friends?! What is happening?!"

"Noona, I didnt mean to." 

"Didnt mean to what?" My hands firmly went on my hips.

"Chiaoxiang." He stated, practically putting all the blame on him like a child. "He made an offer with me." and the truth came out.

"What is it?" I covered my emotions.

"He wanted to me to help him break your relationship."

 

Why would he do that?

"Jung Hwan! Messing with peoples relationship is wrong." I broke down to the floor in tears. "You know how much I feel about him!"

"I'm sorry!" He scooched over by me to comfort me in a position he always does to Hana. "I don't know why I did it, I just did, I-I-I just don't have a good feeling about him."

"So you decide to make me feel bad about it?" My arms held my knees and my face wasnt shown, I dug my face into my knees. "What were you guys planning to do?"

 

 

No comment.

 

 

"Jung Hwan, I swear, if you don't answer-"  The ill-tempered monster inside me is ready to come out.

"Okay okay!" He panicked due to my intimidating self. "Chiaoxiang wants to tell you that Kris is only using you so you wont sue his company. I heard you threatened to sue his company before; Kris' dad ordered him to befriend you so you wont."

"S-s-so its true?" I gaped at my brother with pale shades of red in my eyes.

"I-I don't know," He stuttered. "You'll have to ask Chiaoxiang himself, or if you really want the truth, ask Kris."

 

 

"And what have you been doing?"

He let me go from his embrace, his head bowed down, knowing him, he regrets it. "I've been helping him. He told me to make you feel bad about Hanas overdosed incident."

"Why would you do that?"

"Like I said, I don't have a good feeling about Kris.

 

He's the type of guy that will rip your heart out and your the type of girl that ignores it and still love him."

 

***

Using up all my energy again, I walked back to the hospital, I would take a taxi, but no change with me, plus, I havent been to work lately.

 

I walked into Hanas room, Kris is still there which made me think he still cares, makes me think he actually does love me but the words from my brother, the words from Chiaoxiang, its blending with my emotions.

 

Before I could even sit down, someone from behind opened the door which got both of our attentions.

 

"Ah, Park Bom-ssi, I thought I saw you come in here." Doctor Chunso spoke with a clipboard in his hands, its been 2 weeks since Hanas checked in and I havent seen him since the confirmation of her coma.

"Yes, Doctor Chunsoo?" I wondered at the sudden entrance.

"I'm going to need you to sign this." He hands me the clipboard without telling me whats it for so I decide to read for myself.

 

 

 

Its a contract about the life support machine, how much it costs per year, how much to keep her alive.

I almost fainted at the yearly cost.

My saliva slowly slid down my throat before I could even speak. "Th-thr-three hundred thousand dollars?!" I stuttered.

"Yes, is there a problem?" He asked without no worries.

 

Of course there is a problem, do I look like I'm made out of money?! I can't even afford a two story house, how am I going to afford to keep my sister alive?!

I didn't want to admit to it, its almost like loosing my pride ~ embarrassing.

So there I stood, hesitating.

 

Until Kris jumped in. "No, there isn't." He pushes a pen to my hand, nudging me to sign it.

I shook my head with my eyes shut tight. "Doctor, can you give us a minute."

"Of course." All of us bowed to eachother and watched him leave.

I didn't talk until I knew he was gone.

"Kris, I cant afford this." I confessed.

"That's why I'm here." He assured me, making me feel secure. "The doctor and I had a talk earlier and I told him the money is fine but you're Hanas guardian, you have to sign it."

"No Kris, I am not taking $300,000 away from you!" I denied, resisting his charm.

"I already have the money ready."

I held my hand to my head, comforting my headache from taking everything in. "Why are you doing this?" I sighed.

"Because I love you.

 

I don't want to see you like this, it hurts me too. If Chiaoxiang is in this state, I would give everything, he maybe an annoying , but he's my brother. Hanas your sister and I know you'd give your everything. 

 

The fact that Chiaoxiang caused this, I feel burdened, I feel that I have to take responsibility."

 

"But Kris, I didnt ask you to." My eyes became flooded with tears.

 

"You don't have to." He ends his sentance by planting a kiss on my forehead to calm me down.

 

 

 

His deathly charms are my weakness.

 

 

***

My rear-end felt sore from sitting on a solid wooden platform all day long with my back straight as ever.

Kris came back with food.

Lately, we havent been talking much, we've only seen eachother in the hospital and its too depressing to be so cheerful and radiant in an atsmosphere which makes you feel down.

He chowed down to the ramen with the snapped wooden chopsticks as I sat still eyeing his every move. 

Many thoughts were in my head wether I should ask him about the things I'm curious about. Actually, there are 2 things I need to tell/ask him. One is about the hospital fees and the other is about our relationship.

Right now, the relationship can wait.

"Kris." I coughed his name out, managing to get his attention.

"Hmm?"

"About the hospital fees...I told the doctor I couldnt pay them."

"I told you I already payed for them."

My jaw dangled down towards gravity at the sudden news. "You what?"

"Yes, I did."

"And when were you going to tell me this? I told the doctor I'd pay them myself if he gives me time, he even agreed to it but now I find out that you paid for it?! Kris, do I have to keep repeating myself? I said it the first time we met and I'll say it again, I don't want your money!" I exclaimed, not wanting to say it a second time and to make sure it stays inside his brain.

Before I could hear what he has to say, his phone played a melodic tune which caused a disturbance to our conversation. He leaves the table to stand by the open wide window which views the city. "Hello?" He answered his call.

"Yah, Yi Fan, who do you think you are?" I couldn't make out who was the person on the other line but gosh does that voice sound familiar. "Yi Fan, answer me." The phone wasn't on speaker at all, the room is dead silent that you can hear it even behind a wall. "I know you're there. Answer me." This time it sounded much more aggressive, much like a threat.

 

I analysed Kris, I could tell his body turn stiff, he stood there gazing upon the city, not answering to the man.

 

"You're not going to answer? ~ Fine." The man on the other line gave up...

...Or so I thought.

I never expected him to detonate over the phone, makes me feel uncomfortable for eavesdropping in the conversation. Should I listen? I feel like I shouldnt yet I'm too curious to find out who that person is, he seems like he has authority over Kris.

"Just what makes you think it's okay to take $300,000 out of my account?!"

 

 

T-t-three hundred thousand dollars?! It can't be... is the $300,000 the money for the hospital fees?!

Just by hearing the conversation, I can tell its his father, no wonder I felt like I heard that voice before, I've never seen him ever since I threatened to sue him ~ must've been on buisness trips or some kind of trip CEOs go to.

But lets not forget the $300,000 he took out of his fathers account, I wish I could write my mixed feelings about this situation. I'm somewhat burdened, irascible and bewildered ~ I don't even know why.

 

The rest of their conversation was mummbled in Mandarin which I obviously could not understand. I waited patiently until he finished his talk with his dad.

Looks like there's alot were going to be talking about.

 

 

 

My legs were crossed aswell as my arms were folded.

"So the money is from your dads account?" I immediatly spoke once he hung up.

No voice came out of his mouth but just a simple action ~ a nod.

"You know what I'm going to say right?" I ask, expecting he knows already after being with him for 3 months. "Take it back." I took authority in the conversation, accepting nothing unless he agrees with me.

"But-"

"Its been what ~ 3 months since we've started dating? You know me well enough that I can be a stubborn person at times ~ this is one of those times."

***

The money, I have it after 1 month, all my hard work finally paid off. That feeling when you succeeded in somehing, its a cause for celebration but in this case its not ~ my sister is still unconcious.

Walking past the hallway there is no sign or Doctor Chunsoo, instead I decided to go into Hanas room.

Like always, its expected that Kris is always there to support her, to support me.

But there is still one thing that lingers in my mind, something thats stuck ~ its annoying, kind of like gum stuck onto your hair.

It's been a month since what Jung Hwan told me, I can't believe its been that long. I've been too busy working for the money, I had half of the money saved up before but I had to earn the rest in a short amount of time.

The hours I spent in work made me realise how much time passes by that I almost forgot about my relationship, now is the perfect time to ask Kris.

I could've asked Chiaoxiang, but I want to hear it from Kris.

 

"Have you ate lunch yet?" He stands up to check on me, head to toe.

"That's not really important right now." I glance behind him, at Hana.

"You're telling me that your needs arent important right now?" He questioned me in disbelief, I nodded ignorantly. "Bom, you getting sick is just as bad as Hanas situation right now."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter