Subterfuge

Like Spring
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Some people were a little confused on the whole "Li Jiaheng" thing, btw its Kris' birthname, lol hes not cheating or anything. :)

 

 

 

I had no time to waste, my clothes laid on the floor and were picked up in no time and now on my body.

My hair is clearly not brushed yet I didnt mind my appearance.

Out the hallway I see Chiaoxiang walking by.

"Next time, keep it down, Hyungs room isn't sound proof." He targetted me, smirking.

I rolled my eyes and nudged him out the way. "I don't have time for your games Chiaoxiang."

"No but you do for Kris hyung." He shouted down the hallway as I was already on my way out.

Mercifully, I didnt bump into Kris, I would of wasted more time explaining why I had to leave early, I should of left a note but I couldnt find a pen, nor paper.

***

All my spare change was used up for the taxi so I could arrive quicker and I did. 

The lady at the desk informed me where her room was. 

My back and face deluged with sweat, its really humid in here and its bad enough that I'm lost. 

If it wasn't for a nurse nearby, I wouldnt of found the room sooner.

I'm not surprised to see Jung Hwan sleeping beside Hana, he's sitting in a chair with his head burried onto the bed. 

I wanted to analyse the situation but no doctor was around to inform me about anything.

I sat on the other end of Hana and took her hand with both of mine, her skin is sleek, makes me envious.

Not knowing the big hand went on for a protracted amount of time, I did nothing but gaze at Hana, many thoughts wondered in my head but mostly, what. What happened?! I imagined many scenarios but its too depressing to think about your own sister getting into an accident in contrasting ways...

...Or maybe it wasnt an accident, what if it was on purpose?

Dammit, can't the doctor come in now? Thinking about this scares the living hell out of me.

And just as I thought about it, my prayers were answered, the door opened to reveal a man wearing a ironed lab coat without any stains, strange isnt it?

My legs shot up automatically, I bowed directly at him before he could say anymore.

Jung Hwan woke up, I'm guessing he sensed the doctors presance. He saw me, but didn't look at me in the eyes, infact, he ignored me.

"Hello, I'm Doctor Chunso, are you Miss.Hanas guardian?"

"Yes, I'm her sister ~ Park Bom." We both held our hands out for a hand shake before I sat back down comfortably.

"We had to do a test on her last night. No procedure was in need but we did take a look at her body and her test results are back."

I flinched myself into remembering something which lead there eyes to me. "Before you start, may I ask, what happened?"

"You don't know?" Doctor Chunsoo looked surprised whereas Jung Hwan scoffed, gawking at me, I can see that he's upset, moreover pissed off.

"I'm afraid not." I shamely shook my head and frowned, he must think I'm a dreadful sister for coming in late and not even knowing the situation.

"Hana overdosed herself on drugs last night." 

And without warning, my heart fragmented into pieces.

***

Jung Hwan had no words to associate with me, he walked out after the doctor did, he didn't care to tell me where, what if he tries to commit suicide too?!

No he wouldnt. He wouldn't dare. He is Jung Hwan, he doesn't have the guts.

My phone rung interuppting my thoughts, its Kris. The banging noise of my ringtone sung a melodic tone which made me want to throw it out the window, I sat down starring whether I should answer but he'd call again if I didnt. My sigh came out as I pressed answer.

"Hello?" I answered normally, wouldn't want him to get worried.

"Why didn't you tell me you left?"

"I had some catching up to do, I'm sorry, I should have told you." 

"Are you home now?"

"...Yes."

"You don't seem sure."

"I am and I'm fine if you're wondering." I reassured him so he wouldn't nag me at a time like this.

"Okay." He replied with no emotion but I can sense a element of forlorn in his voice somewhere. "I love you." He spoke fully and clearly.

I seemed like I hesitated and I dont want him to think that I don't love him, I'm just not in the right mood.

"I love you too." My eyes were shut tight saying it.

"Bom, is there something wrong?"

"No, nothing." I didnt want him to suspect anything.

"I'm not sure if I believe you, maybe I should come over." He insisted.

"Nope, its fine, I'm just taking the kids to school."

"...Bom?"

"Yes?"

"Its a Saturday."

A sonorous sigh came out of my mouth making him wonder more. "Where are you?" He asks, not putting the subject to rest.

"At home, why?"

"Really? I dont see anyone here." My eyes widened at how did he got access inside. "The door is open if you're wondering." He read my thoughts exactly. "Bom?"

"Mmmhmm?"

"Why is there shattered glass on the floor? And why are their drugs?" He sounded alarmed yet confused, asking multiple questions at once.

"There is?!"

"You're telling me you don't know?"

"I dont know anything at the moment."

***

30 minutes passed and no sign of Jung Hwan but Kris turned up after making me tell him over the phone.

"So she commited suicide?" Kris asked once again, making sure, shocked after the heart breaking news.

"Attempted and its not the first." I corrected him. "She isnt dead yet."

"And you don't know what happened?" He went through everything again in a series of questions.

"No, I was with you, wasn't I?"

The moment I said that, I immediatly regretted it, I had no intentions of him to think that it was all his fault, It's mine actually.

"So you don't have any ideas of what could of caused her attempted suicide?"

I thought of it carefully and exhaled deeply before speaking. "Yes, I do."

"What is it?"

"Its personal." I informed, I didn't want to add any pressure onto him about Chiaoxiang.

But now that I think about it, it could be Chiaoxiang, the first time, it was about him and after seeing him yesterday, I'm almost certain it has to do with him.

"So what now?" He depressingly looks over at Hana who is in deep unconsciousness.

"Pray, I guess..."

"Is that it?" He shrugs his shoulders like its nothing, doubting my religion.

"She's in a frikkin coma and there is nothing we can do about it."

***

Kris decided to stay with me however I dont think its much of a difference when hes not here, my feelings wont change.

At fall, the sun goes down earlier than summer, its 4pm and the sun is already going to the other half of the world, depressing isnt it?

My head tilted to the door when it opened, I thought that Jung Hwan finally came back but its not him nor the doctor or anyone from the hospital, its Mother Yunsoo.

How did she find out? Spiritual connection?

Kris stood up immediatly at the sight of her even though he has no idea who she is. He knows about orphan life, being raised by nuns, did he have a clue who she was? Judging by his blank face, no.

I bowed. "Mother, how did you kn-"

She rushed over by the bed whereas Kris took the effort to make room for her. "Jung Hwan." She interuppts my voice, he probably told her everything and possibly pissed off aswell, no doubt.

Noone came with Mother, just her ~ alone. I prayed to God that Jung Hwan is safe, thinking he's nearby when he's not.

We watched her cry, crying until she had no sign of liquid coming out of her eyes anymore. 

Me? I stood there, feeling emotional, as if I was crying but I felt my cheeks, nothing. I can't cry when my eyes are numb.

Mother sniffed at her final weep. Before presenting herself to us, she swiftly took out a translucent white cloth, used as a tissue or hankerchief to wipe the tears away.

Her weak but stable legs stood up slowly as she just took notice of Kris. This is an awkward time to introduce him but I wouldnt want to be rude. "Mother, this is Kris, my boyfriend." My lips went to a firm line as I showcased my awkwardness to her. "Kris, this is Mother Yunsoo, the mother who took me and my siblings in for 12 years."

Kris charmingly held out his hand to make a good impression but she didnt take it as one, you can see it in her eyes that shes hiding the fact he didnt leave a good feeling.

"Nice to finally meet you Kris." she shook it but I know she didnt mean it. Especially when they're meeting in a hospital with traumatising news in the way.

"You too..." Awkward timing, he pushed his lips on a firm line, forgetting the name I mentioned him. "Mother." He completes his sentance.

The tension in the air increased until I broke the ice. "Kris, can you give us one sec?" I gaped at him, signalling how much it'd mean to me if he did leave.

Without a hum out of his lips, he left respectfully.

"Mother, this-"

A volcano errupted in the room. "This is not the behavior I expect from you. You know better than to leave your siblings alone overnight to spend time wrecklessly with your boyfriend."

"'Wrecklessly'?!" I quoted, how could she think that?!

"Yes ~ wrecklessly, now that you've done something irresponsible, look what happened, your sister is in a coma and you seem not to care at all."

"'Not to care'?!" I quoted again. "I'm her sister, of course I care! What makes you think that?! I don't need you to come here to tell me how I dont care about my sister, everythings a mess, a blur, a chaotic amount of bull and you're here adding more stress into my life." I couldn't resist to weep infront of her, I stayed strong though, I didnt wipe them away, I simply let them fall as my eyes formed quickly a rash red which looked a little like watercolours.

I sounded harsh, no, rude, no ~ disrespectful. And of course, that bought myself a slap to my face.

"I knew you three moving out was a big mistake."

I cupped my right cheek to help it heal, I believed it was healing even though theres a huge chance it wasnt. "I'm 21, I'm pretty sure I can look after my siblings."

"And look where it ended up."

"Please stop bringing the situation up."

"The situation is here, in thi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter