Fascinations

VENUS
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The last few days had gone by in a haze for Kai as he tried adjusting to this new place and this new person. Making it harder was that since he'd moved in, Kyungsoo always seemed to be busy with school work or activities and so they'd only talked a few times up until this point.

 

But today, their class schedule lined up just right so that they could actually spend some time together and get better acquainted.

 

The problem was, now that they had a moment to get to know one another, he found himself unsure of what to say.

 

He'd never been one that was good at meeting people and getting to know them; he usually left that up to his charismatic friends. Kai had too much angst -- and what he didn't want to admit, nerves -- to to try and be a friendly, personable human during go number one.

 

And Kyungsoo wasn't doing much better. Jongin was hoping his roommate would make the first gesture, but the other seemed to be just as quiet. Neither spoke, both opting to watch (or pretend to watch) the show on the screen in front of them.

 

Sure, Woobin was always a welcome sight for Kai, but the stifling silence between them was making even his favorite show unbearable.

 

He wished Kyungsoo would be more outgoing ... wasn't this how floozies were usually supposed to behave? Overly eager for new companions and way too talkative; he'd never heard of a silent harlot before.

 

Kai regretted these thoughts after they first popped into his mind because he hadn't realized how cruel they'd sound until he'd already begun contemplating them. He'd sworn that Baekhyun's story wasn't going to bother him. He was way too excited over having a roommate who might actually understand him for once and so the blonde's gossip initially was supposed to just fall to the wayside, but it had made an impact no matter how much he tried to reject it.

 

Yup, it was going to be Kim Jongin making the first move and while he was a little salty about it, he'd get over it if it would make things more comfortable.

 

"You don't mind if I put some of my things out, do you?" Kai stood up and stretched and he looked down to see Kyungsoo shift and sit upright to watch him better.

 

"This is your apartment too," the older smiled at him, "but if you don't mind me asking ... what kind of things are you going to put out?"

 

"Like ... pictures and nicknacks and stuff," Kai had actually been wanting to ask this for days, but he couldn't find the right moment till now, "just my personal, home-y stuff that I take with me everywhere."

 

"But wouldn't you prefer that in your room?" Kyungsoo cocked his head.

 

Actually he'd had time to really dwell on this and he realized that the apartment needed his things more than his room did. He hated all the quiet intensity that came with the white-ness in here, he wanted to try and make this place seem more lived in.

 

"I'm not someone who hangs out in their bedroom a lot," this was a lie, "I prefer the living room ... plus I want you to get to know me better."

 

Only the second half of his statement was true, he did want the shorter to get to know him better. And in turn he wanted to get to know more about Kyungsoo.

 

"Fabulous," Soo quietly responded, but he looked happy, "then put whatever you like up, there aren't any rules on decorations."

 

All Kai could take away from that though was that the utilitarian feel the place currently had was by choice rather than by necessity and he didn't quite like the thought of that. So he went into his room and pulled out the duffel bag that contained all his nick-nacks and pictures and brought it in the room to spruce things up more.

 

He hadn't brought much, but he had his pictures that he was proud of and he had a few mementoes from times that mattered to him. There was a big shell he'd bought while he was at Jeju or some of his college memorabilia from his time in Busan.

 

Each of them was a little reminder of his past and things he'd done and gotten to experience that he wanted to continue to remember. And he smiled at his effort when he was done because even though it wasn't much, it was enough to make the apartment seem more alive.

 

"I love it," Kyungsoo finally piped in, standing over by the counter and examining the shell he'd placed there, "I mean, it's different, but I think your stuff fits in well here."

 

"You don't think it's intrusive?"

 

"Not at all," he continued gazing over things, "I'm just surprised you'd want to share all of this with me out here and not keep it with you."

 

"Like I said before-,"

 

"I remember," the older cut him off, "but I can't help but find it novel."

 

Kyungsoo turned around with his back still pressed to the counter and it took everything in Kai's will not to approach right now and try something.

 

This was definitely a little crush he was developing, he knew that much for sure.

 

Currently, he was blaming this on just how alluring the older was and how perfect he looked as he gazed around the room wide-eyed, but he was sure that was a flimsy excuse to use when he'd just met Kyungsoo so recently.

 

"I really like this," the other looked back down at the shell till he finally picked it up, "it's so beautiful ... did you go to the beach and get this yourself?"

 

Kai walked over and stood next to him, examining the shell that seemed to have filled the older's entire imagination, "Nahhh, I bought it from a little vendor right on the beach shore ... I don't think shells naturally come this colorful."

 

"They don't?" the shorter made a face and scrunched his eyebrows, "how do they look?"

 

"Usually they're just white ... the sea naturally b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter