Chapter 15

Will Love Conquer Hate?

Minho made up a quiz on the paper, he shoved it toward Sulli who gave him a tired look. After he taught her everything she needed to know for today, he had to quiz her on it.

"Can we do it tomorrow?" Sulli whined. She yawned. "It's late at night already."

"Sure, you will be allowed to sleep unless you finish this quiz first." Minho said. He closed all the books and confiscated all the notes Sulli wrote down away before he stood up. "Fill it out, I'll give you 15 minutes."

Sulli sighed and turned to test her knowledge.

Minho went to the coach to read the book while waiting for her. He was too engrossed in reading and forgot the time. Until 20 minutes went by, he quickly rushed to where Sulli was but only to find she was sleeping, her head rested on her arms atop the desk.

The quiz paper, she already finished it and put on the desk before his chair. Instead of checking her answer, Minho sat down carefully trying not to make some noise.

Minho watched Sulli. She must be really tired these days, social life in college on the day, back home doing housework and at night she had to spend a few hours with him to study for their exam.

Sulli is working hard, she may not really interested for all the subjects he taught her but she is attentive and concentrated, compare to before they were in high school, now she is way better in giving the honest efforts to trying her best.

Minho touched her head gently, she's such an obedient girl to work hard.

Subconsciously, Minho imitated Sulli to lay his head on the desk. Paying close attention to her face, he noticed that today she seemed a little distracted. She talked less and spacing out sometime. He was curious why she seemed to lose focus but then it registered to his mind that maybe it was because she was just too tired.

Minho smiled and moved closer to her until he could slightly feel her warm breath.

"I'm impressed that you've been working hard. Just a few more days and we can breathe, relax happily to our heart content in Jeju."

Sulli slowly opened her eyes. She sat straight immediately when she saw Minho's sleeping face in just some centimeters away from hers.

Sighing, she realized they were sleeping on the desk. Did he imitate her to fall asleep here? Because she was sure, last time she knew Minho was still on the couch. He couldn't be walking in his sleep to be here right?!

Sulli moved back to her previous position and studying Minho's face. She just realized how so handsome of her husband is. No correct that, she has always found him handsome but it was just she didn't want to admit it.

Suddenly her heart started to beat faster again and many questions started to line up.

Considering their current situation, there are nothing more than they are just a lawful spouse which only been recognized on the paper only, how could they experienced kiss for more than just once?

Seriously what have they done? They are sworn enemy right? How came it's possible that they have been caught in such romantic moments?

Is she now that sure for they are totally nothing toward each other? And the most important question, does she really want their one year agreement in splitting coming faster?

It's only less than 9 months left….

Sulli had to close her eyes to bear with an unexplainable feeling. Yes she wants their marriage to end faster because she was afraid that she may realize something eventually in the near future. But she totally lied if she said there was no part of her is broken when there is no longer having a string attached between them.

But to be very honest, she knew that she was broken for more than once already. And it seemed there's no need to wait until they divorce and break another fragile part of her because started from today she already feels that impact now.

"Sulli!" Krystal called her friend from behind. "Seriously when did you exercise yourself out to have this kind of quick pace?"

"Are you looking for me?" Sulli asked, ignored her friend's playful comment. They walked side by side.

"Not really!" Krystal replied but then she mumbled some incoherent word alone.

"Yah! Do you want to tell me something? Just say it!" Sulli said, nudging her.

"Aish! I think I should tell you then." Krystal said. “Last week, I happened to hear Jiyeon and Jinwoon quarreled. I likely heard them mentioned about Suzy."

Sulli slowed her pace.

"They talked about her because it seems she is finally back and they don't want Minho to know about it."

This time Sulli had to stop walking.

"I wonder why she wants to keep it away from Minho." Krystal added and then realized she said something wrong. "Oh...I mean...maybe she learned about you and Minho are already married and so she doesn't want to cause more misunderstanding between you guys again."

Sulli released a big sigh and continued to walk without comment anything. Krystal hit her head. , she just couldn't control it sometime.

 

Sulli has been thinking about it all day after Krystal told her about that. If Suzy's really back, inevitably one day they will meet for sure. Minho will be sure the happiest but then what about her?

Is Minho still holding grudge and blaming her for Suzy's leaving? And after he learn that she's back, will he be able to lessen his hate toward her?

Sulli thought she was taken part of the reason why Suzy suddenly disappeared. But for all these while, has he ever asked her for once that is she ever happy? How is she feeling to carry this heavy guilt?

Sulli felt her heart arched.

Why is it a matter to her about what Minho is thinking? Why did it hurt when he took side on Suzy and blamed her? And why she feel like it's the end of the world when Krystal told her that Suzy probably come back now?

Sulli is unable to sort out her thought and feeling. She's emotionally conflicted about the whole issue between them three. Now she is totally in turmoil and most of all, she is suffering too from heartache.



Flashback

Sulli took a deep breath before entered a specific ward.

"Ssul!" Someone inside was surprised to see her and smiled happily. "I missed you."

"Sohyun..." Sulli uttered and gave her best friend a hug. "I missed you too. Sorry I visited you late."

"It's fine. Just 2 weeks only you wasn't able to visit me and now you are here. I'm happy." Sohyun said and Sulli sat down on one of the chair. "Are you fine Ssul?"

Sulli chuckled. "Kwon Sohyun! That should be my question. How could a patient asked the visitor about their welfare when you are the ones is lying on the hospital bed?"

Sohyun chuckled but later she smiled sadly. "I'm much better now. Btw Krys had told me all about you and Suzy, that incident." Sohyun said, Sulli smiled faintly. "Then are you still blaming yourself?" Sohyun asked as she took a hold of Sulli's hand. "It's my fault. It was first my problem of her and me only but I dragged you in. You must be very scared then."

"Yah! It's not your fault." Sulli said. She sighed. "Like you already know her hate toward me." Sulli then tried to smile and nodded in assurance toward Sohyun. "But I'm fine."

"Fine?! You know, you cannot lie to me." Sohyun sighed. "Does Minho blame you for Suzy's attempted suicide?"

Sulli nodded. "He's so dumb. He believed all my words that day. But it wasn't all lie anyway."

"Ssul I'm sorry." Sohyun guiltily said. "If it wasn't me and Suzy had a fight, she didn't accidentally made me fall off the stairs and also you weren't supposed to see that incident too. I didn't blame her for running away that day, I knew she was just too scared. But I do feel bad for making you became a bad character and I almost kill Suzy by her attempted suicide."

"She hates me Sohyun and even misunderstands me that I'm the one who spreading gossip about her family's issue to the whole school. Moreover it's true that I reported your incident to Principal Lee, therefore it's me who almost kill Suzy. It's not you Sohyun, you're the victim." Sulli said. "I couldn't take it in any longer when Suzy didn't admit her wrongdoing toward you even when I told her that I witnessed everything. I have no choice, so in the end I chose to say it out."

Sohyun saw sadness radiated in Sulli's eyes even how much she tried to smile to cover up. She immediately hugged Sulli. "It's no one's fault, it's just the god laid this way for us to experience life. Don't blame yourself, Suzy is fine right? So don't feel like you owe her anything." Sohyun comforted Sulli, taping lightly on her back.

Sulli smiled. How came a patient try to comfort the healthy person? But she chose to ignore that fact and let Sohyun hugged her.

She may looked healthy physically but the inside she wasn't.

"Sohyun ah." Sulli said almost inaudible. "I guess....my big mistake so far....is that Minho and I are tied in this engagement."

 

Sulli left the hospital and back home. She went straight to her room. Tiredness took a toll on her without reason. She laid herself on the bed and released a big sigh.

Sohyun told her earlier, after she withdraw from hospital her parents will bring her to the State right away and they decided to continue her study there.

As much as she was sad because Sohyun was leaving soon but she was also happy for her too. She will find a new and brighter future there rather than be here facing someone who almost threatened her life.

Sulli closed her eyes and rotated to side position when her door suddenly was banging so loud. She was so startled and quickly rushed to open it as in the thought of something might be happened to make someone knocked her door this violent.

Minho appeared, his eyes rested on Sulli as if he wanted to eat her alive.

"What did you do to Suzy?" Minho asked. His voice was on the edge which obviously trying to control his temper.

Sulli was confused but she was too angry, he almost broke her door and barged in out of blue interrogated her about Suzy. "What did I do to her? I did nothing. Are you crazy?"

"Did you meet her to talk something?" Minho asked again.

"I don't know what the heck you are talking about. If you are here to pick a fight, tell you I don't have energy. Get out now." Sulli almost yelled and about to turn away when Minho grabbed her arm.

"Don't you think you are too much, Choi Sulli?" Minho said with animosity. "Suzy disappears. She dropped out of school and even moved out from her resident. And you still bravely said you don't know anything?"

Sulli was stunned for a moment, she needed time to sink what Minho said in. She didn’t think thing had come to this extend. She looked at him. Something pinched her inside when she saw strong distrust reflected in his eyes.

Sulli felt strong emotion stirred up. Among all of those, resentment were the most she felt toward Minho.

"And you think I'm the one who chase her away? So you're here to point fault at me? What proof showed you that it’s my fault when Suzy herself has her own family’s issue?" Sulli said, she harshly released her arm from his strong grip. “Are you even in a right mind?”

"Don't play dumb Sulli. You know yourself better than me though. You’re the cause of the reason Suzy couldn’t lift her face in the school." Minho said.

Sulli laughed, obviously she faked it. "I see, you regret for what you said before that you knew me personally. Yes right, because you indeed don't. You never know me at all, that's why you barged in here like an insane person."

"What do you mean? After you confessed everything that day and now you still have gut to imply you are actually guiltless?!" Minho said, mocking. "Fine! You didn't do anything wrong. Your word that day were all lie, you just said it out of the situation forced you to. Is that it? You are not the reason why Suzy running away from here and it's all just misunderstanding. Are you happy now?"

Sulli couldn't talk, she felt a big lump in . She was hurt of how Minho did see her in that way. It had a profound effect on inside for a realization, the 'like' which Minho had for Suzy was so big and enough for him to refuse having trust in her. 'Her' who was his fiancé whom he had known for more than 10 years.

"Fine, choose to believe whatever you want, it doesn't matter to me anyway." Sulli said, her voice shaken. "In your eyes, I'm that bad, then let it be. I don't care." Sulli opened her door wide, her hand gripped the doorknob tightly. "If you are here to blame me for her sudden leaving, sorry I can't entertain you. But I advise, you should better travel around the world to find your girl rather than be here to spend your precious time with a bad person like me."

"You are really unpredictable Sulli." Minho said disappointedly and walked passing her to leave.

"Yes guess I am. But since when am I ever admirable in your eyes right?" With that Sulli slammed her door shut.

Her trembly legs brought her successfully to her bed. Sulli let her tears slid down on her cheeks. She felt so suffocating inside and somewhat she wanted to throw up.

It was hard to take all of these stupid matters at once. She was so hurt for the way Minho treated her, at the same time guilt ate her alive at the thought she was indeed the reason why Suzy left yet among those two cases, Sulli was so angry at the two of them, god knew that she didn't do anything wrong but why she had to be dragged in to get involved. Why didn't the two of them just leave her alone?

Sulli didn't give a damn care, if she love him and he love her that much just go away, get lost out of her sight together but why now one left her guilty and another one hurt her like this?

"You are too much Minho. I hate you. I swear that I really hate you so much."

 

End of flashback


The last day of the examination finally came to an end. Sulli slung her bag on her shoulder and left the classroom, she saw Minho was waiting for her outside but she ignored him.

"How was it?" Minho asked.

Sulli's expression remained stoic, her response was a shrug of her shoulder without looking at him.

"You don't mean my effort tutored you for a week is gone wasted right?” Minho asked but Sulli just kept walking and didn't even bother to answer him. "Yah! What's wrong with you? Is it that hard for just open your mouth to talk?"

Minho said in annoyance. It's been a few days already that she is acting so cold toward him like he was never existed at all. And it angered him more to think, she surely had more words to talk to Jinki but found it hard to just answer him.

"Don't you hear me, I'm talking to you? What kind of attitude you behave toward your husband?"

Sulli stopped walking, she turned to Minho. "You will see when the result is out. And I'm sorry then if your effort in tutoring me those passed day gone waste. That! Are you satisfied now?"

Minho was confused. Why did she seem angry at him? Did he do something wrong unwittingly to her?

Driving on the way home, Minho kept throwing glance at Sulli and she just kept staring out of the window in space.

"Minho...." Sulli finally talked after a long silence but didn't even bother to spare him a look.

"So finally you can remember my name?!" Minho responded in mocking tone. But true was he felt somehow alive to hear Sulli called his name so gentle.

Sulli smiled a bit, somewhat bitter. It seemed it was hard for them to ever have a cheesy line for each other. Yes, they don't even have that kind of thing for each other, how did she suppose it to happen?

"What is it? Just say it. It frustrates me that you are acting weirdly toward me." Minho said.

Sulli sighed and looked at Minho. For a few moments she just kept staring.

"Are you studying me of how do I look like and then comparing me with your Jinki oppa?"

Sulli chuckled a bit. "What if I am?"

"You really are?" Minho exclaimed in displeasure.

Sulli looked away. "No, I'm just thinking about something else."

"Like what? Is it about your Jinki oppa?" Minho asked sounded pissed.

"Tsk, 'your Jinki oppa’ again! What's wrong with you anyway to keep saying that?" Sulli asked in annoyance. "Stop acting like you are a jealous man, will you?"

"I....I am not." Minho said in his unusual low tone. He was caught off guard because more or less he indeed felt that his jealousy really existed.

"I know, that's why I said stop acting like you are one." Sulli said.

Minho cleared his throat. "And....why can't I get jealous?"

"It's not that you can't but because it's impossible." Sulli replied.

"And why it's impossible? You are not a womb in my stomach or some saints to know what is running in my mind though." Minho said, not really realized what he just said.

"Wait! Does this mean that you are really jealous?" Sulli countered. With unexplainable glimpse of hope, she added hesitantly. "You....don't mean you like me right?"

Minho felt nervous all of sudden. His lips trembled a little as he wanted to say something but none of word was out. He was even suffering with heart racing so fast.

"By any chance do you....like me?" Sulli asked again. She was anticipated for his answer.

They arrived at their apartment building, Minho parked his car at the car park. He turned off an engine.

"We are here." Instead of giving answer, Minho tried to avoid the sensitive topic. He opened his seatbelt about to run away.

"Yah!" Sulli almost yelled. "Tell me! Are you really jealous of Jinki oppa because....you actually like me? You don’t hate me?"

Minho sighed in defeat. "I'm confused Sulli. Don't ask me. Forget about it okay?"

"But just now you said-- I mean since the beginning you always get mad at me unreasonably whenever I'm with Jinki oppa or mention about him. I've always been curious why you dislike him out of no reason. Is it because you are jealous seeing me with him?" Sulli was persistent wanting to hear his answer because of some reason.

Minho looked at Sulli. "I've never said I'm jealous of Lee Jinki right? And you just assume it by yourself that I like you when actually I don't. Well, in fact I'm confused."

"But the day in the library, you said you have some sorts of feeling because of me. What was that about?" Sulli didn't let it slid. She didn't know what was wrong with her too to keep asking it.

"That's why I said I'm confused Sulli." Minho argued with a deep sigh. "C'mon why we are now having this kind of conversation? It's not like us."

For a moment Sulli just looked at Minho before she said.

"I understand." Sulli removed her seatbelt, gathering her thing readily to get out of the car, she then added without looking at him. "You should have just said 'no' immediately when I asked. Yes right, it’s not like us to have that kind of conversation."

Sulli got out of the car. Minho sighed as he knew Sulli was angry at him. He then quickly snatched his backpack and immediately followed Sulli.

He caught up with her by elevator.

"I thought you have something to tell me earlier." Minho said, tried to sound casually even he still felt tension between them.

Wow! He was so good in playing dumb as if nothing happened at all earlier.

Sulli sighed and nodded.

"What is it?" Minho asked and elevator door slid opened at the same time. He was about to step in when Sulli said.

"Should we call it off?" Sulli looked at Minho. She saw he winkled his brows in confusion. "I mean we should call off our vacation next week. I don't feel like going anymore. Let's cancel it and if you want, you can be there alone or maybe you also can find someone else to accompany you there."

"Why all of sudden? Weren't you excited before? Tsk seriously, what's wrong with you anyway? Yah you--" Minho couldn't continue when he saw Jinki walked toward them. Minho hissed in annoyance and rolled his eyes. "Aish that fellow! Nice timing."

The three of them entered the elevator.

"You met your brother?" Sulli asked Jinki when he told them so. She faked a face. "I thought you want to introduce your brother to me when you said you will last time."

Minho resisted the strong urge wanting to laugh out loud in sarcastic way. Did she just flirt with another man when her husband is still alive and standing there firmly?

"Oh that. I see you're busy with your examination these days, that's why I didn't want to bother you. Umm... maybe next week then if you're available."

"That's grea--" Sulli was cut off by Minho when he suddenly butted in.

"She can't make it, next week we are going to have our honeymoon in Jeju." Minho said and to Sulli surprise, he took her by shoulder to crash her side against him. "Should we go shopping first to buy necessary stuff for spending a whole week at the heavenly island?"

Sulli glared at Minho to shut up. She elbowed on his stomach to take his hand off her shoulder. "Are you deaf? I said I don't want--"

"It's okay if you don't want shopping. We can recycling." Minho cut her off again with a boyish grin much to Sulli wanted to kick him out of the elevator so bad. He then looked at Jinki and faked a smile. "Maybe next time and if you don't mind, just invite me too. I also want to know your brother."

Jinki responded with a friendly nod. He smiled warmly at Sulli, telling her that it was fine when she gave him an apologetic look.

 

Minho closed the door behind him as his eyes followed Sulli. He knew she was angry right now. She turned to look him.

"What is wrong with you again?" Sulli asked. She sighed in irritation when Minho ignored her and made his way to the study table to put his backpack.

"What did I do? I don't see what I did earlier was inappropriate in any way." Minho replied. "Do you suppose me to stay at one corner quietly and you could be around to flirt with Lee Jinki?"

"What? F-flirt?" Sulli uttered.

Minho turned and smirked at her. "But well, I will forgot about it if you proceed our vacation trip."

Sulli looked away and crossed her arms. "I said it already, I don't want to go."

"And why did you suddenly change your mind?" Minho asked impatiently.

"It's just happened. I don't feel like I ecstatically want to go anymore....especially...." Sulli retrieved her eyes on him. "I don't want to be there with you."

Sulli's last word somehow hurt Minho. It slashed him inside for some reasons. He looked at Sulli without uttering a word. Usually, it was always fine with him whenever she threw him her cynical remark but why now it seemed different? Much or less, he did feel the affect.

Instinctively, Minho turned around pretended to do something else on the desk.

"Even so, you know we are still seeing each other everyday right?! It's not the case your find it as for an excuse." Minho said.

"Yes I know and that's the problem." Sulli replied. She released a sigh. "Don't you find it hard to live like this?"

"What do you mean?" Minho spun to look at her and had somewhat an angry look on his face.

"Living with someone whom we hate, you can't find any reason to continue." Sulli said calmly. She looked straight at Minho. "To me, maybe it's not entirely 'hate' to make me feel tired but mostly it's some other feeling that keep me suffocating whenever I see you."

"I'm asking you what you mean Sulli." With shaky voice Minho tried to stay calm, he somewhat already sensed where this conversation was leading to but deep down inside he couldn't admit it.

"If we both find it hard....no it should be 'it has never been us since the beginning', why don't we just end it now, should we?" Sulli said.

Minho tried to absorb her word, he suddenly laughed but obviously it was faked.

"Are you now asking me for a divorce or we are still in the 'vacation trip' topic here?" Minho asked in sarcasm. He walked toward Sulli and stopped right about a step away from her. "Let me ask you once again, what is wrong with you?"

"Nothing is wrong with me. I know you also want that too right." Sulli said, looking away from Minho she added. "I bet you will thank me later for doing this even before our one year agreement has come to an end."

"Are you serious?" Minho asked again. He clenched his hands on his side.

"I will try to explain this to our parents. No it should be both of us, I can’t---"

Minho suddenly grabbed her hand up. He also raised his own to level their eyes. He showed her their fingers where the wedding rings were on.

"To us, wearing them maybe it isn't really a symbol of love, simply it's just a signal that we are fully committed to each other right?! That’s the mere fact we knew." Minho said. "But wearing them without taking it off since the day we slipped it on each other's finger, it's another case."

Sulli looked at Minho. She saw firm seriousness in his big brown eyes which also staring back at her. Minho was right. Wear it or not, there wasn’t really a problem. But none of them ever took it off, it’s been wrapped around their fingers ever since the day they got married.

"I believe there are some very important reasons for us to wear it and never take it off. And you don't get asking for a divorce suddenly when it's cleared that you don't really want it, right?" Minho said.

"So....what are those important reasons you are referring to?" Sulli gauged Minho.

Minho slowly let go of Sulli's hand. "I don't know but I'm in the state of figure thing out. That's why I want us to be there in Jeju." Minho paused for a few seconds. "And just only the two of us. I need that qualified time to find the reason why you got me to feel all sorts of things about you, why I'm so confused right now and most importantly….why....I indeed feel jealous to see you with Lee Jinki."

Sulli widened her eyes confusedly. "You....are jealous of him?"

Minho sighed. "I won't give you a divorce, at least not now and who knows it might not as well in the future. Think whatever you want until I realize whether I like you or not."

"Are you saying--" Sulli trailed off.

"Yes….I think I like you. But as we know what we have been through all of these time, therefore I'm not really sure of myself yet." Minho said, staring at Sulli for a few seconds. "I won't ask you further why you are acting weirdly toward me for these past few days. You've been cold and even dismissed me all the time."

Sulli looked away. "I didn't. You were just too annoying."

"What?" Minho sighed. "It's fine then, as long as it's not because of Lee Jinki."

"Yes it's sure not about him but someone else." Sulli muttered.

"Huh?" Minho asked as he didn't hear her clearly but Sulli just shook her head in reply. "Then are we fine now? And don't bring up about that divorce thing ever again until I figure out my answer."

"What? You haven't asked me yet for what am I thinking about you." Sulli argued.

Minho smirked, looking at her face. He crossed his arms. "Do I have to? And if I ask you straightforward for do you like me or not, will you be honest?" Minho said. A triumphant smile displayed on his lips when he caught Sulli was flustered. He nodded his head. "Yes, I see."

Sulli released a deep sigh. "Maybe you're right. There are some reasons I found myself had a change of heart for how I feel for you." Sulli looked at Minho. "To be honest, I'm so afraid that I might.... I might find myself liking you. I never want it to happen, because of you I ended up enduring enough and I don't want to feel it anymore."

Sulli saw Minho was about to say something. She knew he wanted to ask her what she meant by that but how would she answer him when she herself also didn't know the exact answer.

"Fine then. Let's continue our trip. We'll see what the result comes out before we decide to make the final decision." Sulli said.

Minho nodded. He smiled. "Then don't make it just simple as a normal trip like that."

"Huh?" Sulli asked.

"We should consider it as something else more worthy." Minho said. He chuckled seeing Sulli's cute reaction as she tried to read him. Smiling charmingly, he added. "Let's date Sulli."

 

 

To be continued…..


Thank you for always being patient, waiting for my update. Hopefully the next chapter will be posting soon.

Anyway, any idea you want minsul to do on their honeymoon trip? Despite my idea, I also want to listen yours ^^

 

And for readers who are going to celebrate Luna New Year :)

Happy New Year, enjoys yor major holiday and have a great time with your families.

 

Till the next update.

 

Take care everyone~