Distance

Heartstrings

The alarm clock gave a short buzz before you brought your hand down upon it, harshly scatting it off the nightstand. You groaned as reality quickly hit you. Dragging your body from the bed, you scooped up the duvet, attempting to fold it before placing it on top of your pillows in a large cardboard box. The alarm clock gave another feeble bleep (it was on its last legs from the constant abuse over the years), and you grasped it in one hand, glimpsing at the neon display before flipping it into the box. 

The wardrobe glared right back at you, staring you down before you eventually submitted. Leave that until later. You gave an exasperated groan as you scuffed into the living room, tall walls lined with boxes, mostly unpacked. Your knees collided with one as you leant over the sofa, stirring the drooling man.

"Seungri, please, you promised you'd help me."

He wiped the crystals of sleep from his eyes, grazing the light stubble with his fingernails. His vision gradually focused on you, his brows coming together as the corners of his lips dragged down.

"Please, I need to get out of here."

You pleaded, grasping hold of his outstretched hand to raise him from the makeshift bed. After the phonecall he'd rushed over, convinced that you'd change your mind after a heart-to-heart. To no avail. After several minutes of arguing, he agreed to help you, staying on the sofa so that you could both make an early start on the packing.

He s his arms around your waist, burying his head in the crook of your neck. 

"I'm going to miss you. Promise me that you're sure. You can still change your min-"

You managed a weak smile, blinking back the already-forming tears.

"Nothing will change between us, I promise"

You gave a reassuring squeeze to his hand before pulling away to shift a few empty boxes towards the kitchen. He soon followed, snatching various items from the cupboards as you attempted to pack them. You shot a curious glare at him, to which he replied with a shrug, preparing a small breakfast for the both of you. Sighing, you moved on, grabbing a handful of utensils that you were sure he wouldn't need. (You'd be surprised if he even knew what they were, to be honest).

***

After two hours of packing, it occurred to you that you had severely underestimated the amount of boxes needed. You plopped down onto the sofa with a pained groan, Seungri quickly following and throwing an arm around your shoulders.

"Why don't we have a break, hm? I'll go look for more boxes"

He gave a small smile as he went to the door, disappearing with a 'call me if you need me'.

Curling onto the sofa, you allowed yourself five minutes peace, unconsciously brushing your fingertips against the short coat of the small dog. 

"It's no use, I cant just sit here"

Snatching up a dark hoodie that had been laying on the counter, you threw it over yourself, pulling he hood over your head. Disguise mastered, you shot a sad smile at Gaehyo before scuttling down the corridor.

***

The halls were their usual bustle, but only a faint buzz rang in your ears. Chewing on your swollen bottom lip, you kept your head down, avoiding any glances in your direction. One or two made an attempt to strike up a conversation, but when greeted by a short nod and a forced smile with tearful eyes, they allowed you to pass on. 

Time passed quickly as you drifted towards your destination. The lift gave a loud ping, bringing you back reality. You stepped out into the white-washed corridor, dragging your body in line with the glass-panelled door. Your hand rose instinctively, preparing to knock, until you caught sight of the scene within. You drew you hand away, the corners of your mouth drawing downwards as you watched the two men in animated discussion. The CEO seemed to be doing most of the talking, rather aggressively, whilst Seung Yoon sat, shaking his head, complexion almost transparent as tears threatened to fall from his tired, reddened eyes. Every once in a while he'd take a deep breath, desperately trying to put his point across, only to have the power stolen from him by the crack in his voice. The image distressed you to the point that you had to look away, turning just to catch a glimpse of some figures occupying the space at the opposite end of the hall. Their attention switched to you, and one of them stepped forward.

"Lil' G! Hey, whats up?"

Mino approached you with open arms, greeting you with his usual bright smile. You took a few stumbled steps backwards, words failing you as you shook you head wildly.

"Sorry-" You mumbled, spinning on your heels and dashing for the elevator.

"Hey! Wait, where are you going?"

"I've got to go"

You shouted back, without even a second glance you hurried past the metal doors.

"But Seung Yoon's in there, he's trying to-"

The doors came together, blocking off the rest of his sentence. You slumped to the floor, curling in on yourself as your body shook from the sobs. Sharp intakes of breath as you gradually moved downwards past the floors, gaining as much distance as you could.