Stolen Viola

Heartstrings

The dog wriggled in your arms as you locked the door. You were spending the day working on lyrics with Hayi, but the animal refused to be left out, so you were forced to bring her along. Giving her a small tickle behind the ear, you scanned the hallway, your eyes catching on a small black object propped against the window ledge. Gaehyo began to grumble as you stepped forward and you quickly hushed her. 

"Oh? His hat-"

You tapped at it with your fingertips. You knew he hadn't left it last night. After a few seconds you lifted it onto your head, much to the disgust of your luggage. You glanced at your reflection in the window, your hands finding a small piece of paper on the surface where the hat had been. Snatching it up, you looked at it curiously. It was almost blank, all except from the word 'Sorry' followed by his initials and a small scribble that resembled a heart. 

"Hm"

You grinned broadly as you shoved the note into your pocket, mentally accepting the apology before continuing down the corridor. 

***

Pushing against the large grey door, you snuck into the room. Hayi was already feverishly scribing lyrics, her face contorted in concentration. The dog leapt from yours arms onto the table, marching over to lay on the papers, putting a halt to the writing. She gave a small chuckle before leaping up to greet you.

"Morning~ Tea?"

Taking hold of the small cup, you gently placed yourself on the adjacent seat, dragging the ever-annoying Gaehyo onto your lap.

"So, what're you writing about?"

She allowed you to steal the pieces of paper, scanning them. 

"Flying a kite"

"Oh?"

You raised an eyebrow in curiousity. 

"Sajang-nim says that childish-charm is appealing"

"Ah, I like it!"

She slid the lyrics back towards her, tapping the pen against the table before glancing back at you.

"What are you going to write about?"

"Uh-"

Your mind was blank, not single thought came into your head. Hayi picked up on your expression, taking the chance to make a suggestion.

"What about love?"

"Hm, I don't know, I've not had much experience in break ups-"

"I didn't mean break ups."

She leant forward, her lips curving into a smirk.

"How about crushes?"

Its like she was obsessed with this subject lately.

"I can barely remember how I felt when I had a crush-"

The girl tutted loudly.

"Will you stop that please? Current crushes?"

She continued to torture.

"I don't-"

"Fine, current crush?"

You lowered your head onto the desk, your friend cackling loudly in her seat.

"Come on, I bet he thinks of you when he sings~"

She gave you a smirk as you rose, scrabbling for some paper to appease her. After a few minutes of aimlessly humming to yourself, you gave a loud sigh.

"I still don't know"

"Just write about days you've spent together-"

Noticing your current headgear, she pointed up at it.

"You could write about that?"

Even though she was joking, it seemed like a good idea. Your brain kicked into gear, thoughts suddenly rushing through your head as you took hold of the pen.

***

After a few minutes of devotion to your page, you lifted your head, noticing your peer scanning your words. 

'-a small symbol can show true feelings- I may just be a girl, I don't always understand, tell it to me straight" 

She glanced up, giving a quick nod of appreciation.

"Wah, this is good! What genre are you going for?"

"I was thinking R&B-"

"Yes! Your voice really suits that style! Perfect!" 

She cut you off, desperate to show her approval.

"I think you should add some guitar in there too" 

"I don't play very well-"

This time it was the glint in her eye that stopped you.

"No. No way. That would be so awkward."

"But he plays amazingly! He has to be in the video at least! Your chemistry is so pure!" 

Still you shook your head.

"If we were together then perhaps it would be okay-"

"Oh? Okay, I'll ring him and ask-"

 She snatched up your phone and started tapping

"Oi! I didn't mean it like that!" 

You managed to retrieve the gadget before he answered, luckily, pushing it into your pocket securely. The small figure was now clinging desperately to her seat, preventing herself from falling off it from the force of her hysterical cackles.

"Sometimes I wonder why I'm friends with you"

You shot a wink at the girl, causing her to pause momentarily, just to flash her tongue at you, before letting out a few more deep chuckles. When her laughing fit finally subsided, she left the room, needing a few minutes to regain composure in the cool breeze outside.

"What's with her today?"

You scooped up the pug, allowing her back legs to dangle happily.

"Too much sugar?"

The legs began to twitch in agreement.

"I don't think she's not the only one, huh?"

You let a small breathy giggle escape from your lips as you set the dog down on the floor.

***

"Maybe she's the one~"

You could hear a deep voice floating through the air, the mellow quality was captivating and you soon gave in to your curiosity, following the sounds which seemed to be coming from the next room. You would have usually knocked, or at least peeked through the pane of glass, but you were mesmerised, immediately pushing through the door as you came to it.

"S-Seung Yoon?"

The boy span in his chair, guitar still in hand. He quickly rose from his seat, grinning widely, cheeks slightly flushed.

"Hey- Good morning princess~ You're just the girl I need!"

You took a step back, expression hardening.

"What?"

What. How could he convey such sentiments so suddenly.

"Uh- I-"

He gave a few stutters, face growing red.

"I-I need your musical talents, will you help me?"

Oh. You had completely overthought what he had said. 

"Hey-"

You glared up at him, now it was your own face burning brightly.

"-are you still mad about last night?"

He draped a muscular arm around your shoulder as you let out an submissive sigh, being dragged into a gentle embrace. 

"Well- Agh. You're so stupid.  Just don't try anything like that again."

He let out a small chuckle.

"Or I will kill you."

Another laugh leaked from his dusky lips. His free hand reached up to your head, prying off the hat. You were about to grab for it, but the mans face quickly moved towards your own, tenderly pecking the bridge of your nose. You allowed him to remain close to you for a few moments, before clearing your throat, preparing to speak.

"I - you."

"Hm? What?"

"I hate you"

He chuckled heavily as you rose your head. The hat was brought down, swatting you in the face. Your 'attacker' quickly fled to the other side of the room, still giggling like a child.

***

"Ah, no, I like it! It's kinda different to your normal vibe"

Seung Yoon gave an appreciative grin as he placed the pick back in his pocket, nodding slowly to your comments.

"Your fans will certainly love it"

"I didn't write it for them-"

He stopped himself, quickly turning his head a way to hide his rose-coloured cheeks. You made a quick attempt to change the subject.

"So, you wanted a viola acompniment to your guitar?"

"M-hm~ Will you help me? I don't know anyone that plays as well as you do~"

His voice had that begging quality to it. You revelled in having the upper-hand, taking advantage of the situation

"Hm, well, I don't know-"

"Please? It would be great to work together- Please? I'll love you forever?~"

You tilted your head to the side, slowly giving in.

"Fine, I'll go get my vio-"

You paused as they young man began to smirk, walking over to an orange oil-patterned case that you immediately recognised. His long fingers gently unbuckled the leather fastenings, opening the lid delicately, revealing a beautifully carved instrument, almost white in colour. You stared menacingly at him. His hand tenderly gripped the neck of the instrument, lifting it to his face to inspect it with an admiring smile. Another hand reached back into the case, retrieving a matching bow, which he treated with the same attention. After a few minutes, he met your glare with a softened expression which quickly grew into a toothy grin.

"You stole my viola?"

He paused, looking down at the instrument before returning to you.

"I knew you'd agree-"

He erupted in laughter as you hissed at him.

"Give me those sheets"

You commanded, snatching up the papers and scanning them, as the boy laid your instrument on his lap, still seemingly mesmerised by it. You took a side glance at him, chucking under your breath before returning your eyes to the sheets in front of you. After a few minutes of contented silence, Seung Yoon lifted the instrument towards you, laying it in your hands. You gave a quick bob of your head in thanks, resting it under your chin. You bounced the thin bow on the strings several times, alternating the sound with each strike.

"Col legno?

The man whispered, leaning forward to catch the impressed glint in your eye. Eventually this ceased, you drew the bow across them, gaining speed whilst your fingers flitted from one chord to the next. Soon you were at peak speed, the instrument and yourself thoroughly warmed. You ended abruptly, catching Seung Yoon off guard, as he jumped slightly, leaning backwards in his chair.

"Right, let's do this."

You nodded in his direction and he lifted his guitar, which had been laying nearby, onto his knee.

***

"-ooh oh~"

The song ended with a slow strum from your peer, your bow had been withdrawn from your own instrument just moments ago, but in that time you allowed yourself to steal a long admiring glance at the boy. Having finished his part, he met your eyes with a blissful smile.

"That was really beautiful"

You began, the polished surface of the instrument that lay upon your thighs. 

"It was perfect."

He replied, setting his guitar down with a gentle sigh. There was a peculiar look in his eyes. You both shared an intense blush as the situation became awkward. Your mouth opened to speak but before you could manage a single utterance he leapt from his seat. You stared after him curiously. He came to rest on the wooden stool that sat in front of the grand piano on the other side of the room. Without turning, he raised an index finger, beckoning to you. You drifted to his side, intrigued by his sudden actions. A pleasant surprise, he began to play a gentle melody that brought a warmth to your chest. His head bobbed gently along to rhythm, his half-lidded eyes focused on the keys. You laid a gentle hand on his shoulder, but his concentration didn't waver. Seeing him like this brought a smile to your face.

"When the love falls?"

You enquired, the boys eyes widened slightly, glancing sideways towards you.

"Y-you know it?'

"Are you kidding?! I love Yirumas work"

He let out a small sigh, shook his head a few times before letting out a somewhat-resigned smile as he continued to press gently at the keys. A few moments passed before you spoke again.

"Hey-"

"What?"

"Budge up"

He raised his brow quizzically before obediently shifting to the left side of the stool. You wiggled in next to him, occupying a group of keys towards the end of the piano. He peered curiously over at your fingers as you began to tap out the same rhythm, perfectly in time with your companion. The higher-pitch accompaniment was well received, Seung Yoon began to sway with his own movements, both of you releasing joyful chuckles. 

***

Towards the end of the song, the boy began to nudge you repeatedly, each time shooting a devilish grin sideways. You eventually retaliated, elbowing him hard enough so that his fingers slipped from their place, making an awful sound. You beamed innocently, avoiding his glower as you continued to play the sweet tune. He eventually rejoined, removing his eyes from you. Just as you were about to commit magnificent, self-composed finale, there came a massive shove from your left, half-knocking you off the stool, sending your hand tumbling down the higher end of the piano. His arm reached around your waist, righting you in your seat, only to be repaid with a harsh dig in the ribs. 

"Idiot."

You gave him a sideways glare before furiously hammering put a new tune on the piano. It was a new song you had been trying to learn since you were first captured by the emotion-filled lyrics; This isn't it. You could see the smirk creep onto Seung Yoons face from the corner of your eye as you came to the end of the short intro.

"Nan ajikdo saranghandago-"

You gave a slight jump as his low, treacle-like voice filled the room. With a warmth growing in your chest, you allowed him to continue with his vocals, revelling in the pleasure it seemed to bring both of you. His volume grew as he proceeded, his arm draped over your slender shoulders, swaying slightly but still remaining in that sad-yet-beautiful tone. The song ended as quickly as it started, with your only other input  a small section of harmonising on the last line. You shared a sweet smile with each other and began to chuckle lightly.

"Ah, are you kids on that part of your relationship already? I didn't even have time to release a statement!"

"S-sajang-nim!"

You both leapt from the stool, bowing instinctively.

"Ahha, relax you two! I was just watching, it seems that you work really well together, that's something we can think about. That's if you want to work with him?"

He gave you a slight smirk as you laughes heavily.

"Well-"

The boy stood next to you gave a rough nudge.

"Oww, oppa!"

You whined, rubbing your arm dramatically.

"Now, that's not how you treat a lady, Seung Yoon"

He gave you a small wink, turning back to the door.

"Behave kids~ Work hard and do well!"

And with that, he disappeared, leaving you both giggling awkwardly.