Chapter 9

Passage Of Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

One weekend, after all the crazy drama he had at school with SungMi and his friends, DaeHyun finally found himself to be side by side with his mother while simply walking around and window shopping in a mall not far from their place. Both of them decided to spend some time together as it had been a while since the last DaeHyun and his mom hung out with each other.

They enjoyed their time together and simply talked about random stuff while walking around the mall with no specific direction. Sometimes ChanByul will talk about her colleagues and workers at her office while DaeHyun will fill her in with the crazy things that happened recently between him and SungMi after that.

They both laughed and commented at each other’s stories and for those who didn’t know, they almost looked like they were actually a couple having a date. DaeHyun noticed from time to time that the public will turn to look at them twice whenever they passed by. He smiled to himself and said to his mother, “Hey, you know what mom, I think everyone thinks we’re a couple.”

ChanByul looked at him with a frown on her face. “Are you serious ? A couple ?” She said as she let out a chuckle. DaeHyun laughed a little too and nodded his head. “Yeah, no kidding. I keep noticing the glances they throw us and I’m sure they think that we are. Understandable mom, since I’m way taller than you.”

ChanByul shook her head while laughing and said, “That’s the funniest thing I’ve ever heard. How can this old lady here be dating a young teenage boy ?” DaeHyun shrugged and said nonchalantly, “Well, can’t blame them. You look young despite your age too, don’t you ? Of course they think so. Especially when you have a handsome boy walking by your side, that explains enough.”

ChanByul scoffed and smacked DaeHyun’s head. “Yeah right ! And who are you trying to butter up now, huh ? I’m almost 50 years old, DaeHyun. How can I look young anymore ? Your attempt of trying to flatter me is not working, young man.”

DaeHyun smiled sheepishly and laughed. “Okay, okay. But still, to me, you really don’t look like you are in your fourties at all. How much more proud can I be to have such a beautiful and healthy mother ? Even if you think you’re old, I’m sure there are still a lot of guys who are ready to sweep you of your feet.” DaeHyun added while hugging his mother’s shoulder who laughed out loud at his cheesy words. They both knew that DaeHyun was just playing around but ChanByul can’t help but to think it was funny.

ChanByul shook her head in amusement and said with her arms crossed, “I didn’t know that my son is good with words to charm and flatter the ladies. How come did I not notice this ? Where did you learn this from, DaeHyun ? It is so unlike you.”

DaeHyun smiled sheepishly and cocked his head to the side as he said, “Well .. maybe a little from HimChan hyung ? I’ve always seen him trying to charm some girls at the school with his pick-up lines. He did try a few times though.”

ChanByul raised her eyebrows in amusement and commented, “Then I suppose his attempts didn’t turn out well then ? If not, he would’ve already had a girlfriend by now, right ?”

DaeHyun nodded in agreement and said, “He still doesn’t have a girlfriend. And all of his efforts of trying to attract the girls were a fiasco. We kept telling him that his lines were bad and hilarious but he seemed to be confident enough about them. He is so persistent that one day, he will be able to get a girl using his chat-up lines.”

“And I hope so too. I think I haven’t told you this but he did use some of it to me. I think he was just testing them out to see whether they worked before he tried it with the girls he was after. It was funny because he used it to an old lady instead of practicing with anyone your age.” ChanByul revealed as she suddenly remembered. She couldn’t hold her laughter and simply giggled upon remembering the times when HimChan would try to flatter her with his words each time BAP came to her house. Not to mention that HimChan liked to do it when she was making them drinks in the kitchen.

DaeHyun who was now very interested in the topic and clearly had no idea about this, looked at his mother in interest and asked, “Really ? Do you still remember what he said ? Gosh, that dude. What was he thinking by trying to hit on his friend’s mother ?”

ChanByul laughed again and said, “Well, I can’t remember all of it. But there is one that I remember the most. To me it was the most hilarious of all. He said, ‘There are 20 angels in the world. 11 are playing, 8 are sleeping, and 1 of them is standing in front of me’. That moment I laughed so hard as I really didn’t see it coming. And the look on his face when he said it was practically priceless. He then asked whether it worked for me but I was too busy laughing that he started to pout and left the kitchen sulking.”

DaeHyun himself laughed too as he shook his head at his mother’s story. He can’t believe that HimChan often used his mother as a practice. He will definitely ask him what else had he said to his mother. Especially now that he found out.

They both kept on talking and walking until they reached a book store. DaeHyun stopped their tracks and said to his mother, “Oh mum, I need to get some books for a while. You can go on ahead if you want or you can just come with me. I’m not sure how long will it take though.”

ChanByul cocked her head to the side a little before shaking her head instead. “Nah, that’s okay. You go on ahead looking for your book and take your time. I’ll be off to the bakery by the escalator, alright ?”

DaeHyun nodded and both of them parted ways, DaeHyun inside the book store and ChanByul heading towards the bakery. He walked around the book aisles and tried to look for the books that he was searching for. According to the website that he had checked in the internet, the books he wanted were supposed to have arrived already by that time.

He went to the fantasy section and checked for the titles of the books he wanted. Sadly, out of the five books he wanted, only the first three of them had arrived. Feeling a little bit disappointed, DaeHyun still took the first three anyway and bear in mind that he was supposed to get another two later.

Feeling satisfied that he got the right books, he straight away walked towards the counter to pay. However, before he could even reach half way towards the counter, he heard a voice of a man, which was one of the store’s worker scolding someone behind a book shelf.

At first DaeHyun wanted to ignore it and move on since he had nothing to do with it but he didn’t know why, his feet brought him to where the man was instead. A part of him felt like he should go and check out what was going on and who was the worker scolding at.

A sigh escaped from his lips as his eyes landed on the figure he recognized so well. He shook his head as he looked at SungMi who was hanging her head low while the worker or could be the manager, was coming down on her like a ton of bricks. He was not bothered at all by the fact that it was a book store and that he was a worker there. He seemed to be enjoying himself to give SungMi a piece of his mind.

“This is the last time that I’m letting you of the hook ! The next time I see your face here, I’ll get the security and make sure that he makes you leave !” The man added and SungMi backed her head away a little as she wiped the man’s saliva on her face.

“Whoa dude. Say it, don’t spit it.” SungMi said with a frown as she let out a sound of disgust while wiping her face. The man looked at her in disbelief and scoffed. “How dare you say that ? Did you even listen to what I was saying ?!”

“Loud and clear. And if you can’t keep your voice lower and be calm, I’ll have to sue you for making me turn deaf anytime soon.” SungMi shot back nonchalantly, causing the man to get more livid and was ready to explode anytime.

Noticing that the gloves were going to be off, DaeHyun quickly stepped in and asked with a broad smile, “I’m sorry to interrupt but is everything okay ?” He tried to sound as kind as possible and hoped that the man will cool down quickly. They were standing in between two shelves and he knew that both shelves will fall on top of them if the man lost control.

Looking at DaeHyun with arms akimbo, the man then asked, “Why ? Do you know this crazy girl here ? But you know what, don’t answer that. Just please, do me a favor and get her out of my sight.”

SungMi sulked at the corner while crossing her arms. Judging by the look on her face DaeHyun knew that she must have done something wrong but to which she thought was actually not. Or could be there was only a misunderstanding that the man had taken way too seriously.

“I hope you don’t mind me asking but what did she do exactly ?” DaeHyun asked politely as he shot SungMi a look, at the same time warning her not to say a word first.

The man who had seemed to be able to cool down, tried to catch his breath and answered, “She was sleeping. Here. At this aisle.”

DaeHyun’s eyebrows creased a l

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter