Chapter 2

Passage Of Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The next day, after having breakfast with their mother right after Kim Ahjussi went out again, DaeHyun and JiHyun waved their mother goodbye once they parted ways. WooRi will be gone to selling cakes and will be back in the evening while the children will be out playing.

Unlike other children, both DaeHyun and JiHyun wanted to go to school so badly but their family’s income didn’t allow them to. Their mother, WooRi was only selling cakes for a living and their stepfather was not contributing anything to the family at all rather than creating problems.

WooRi felt bad all the time as her son and daughter were still not able to go to school and she was trying her best to look for more income. Furthermore, most of the money she managed to save will be used for JiHyun’s medication which caused a lot. And sometimes, when she somehow had some extra money to be kept, that was when Kim Ahjussi came around and took them all away, leaving her with nothing.

So there were the children right now, heading towards the playground, their usual spot as they would rather be there rather than at home. DaeHyun was holding onto his sister’s hand as they walked. A smile was plastered on his sister’s face as she liked it how the Sun felt on her skin. And not to mention her eagerness and anxiety of probably seeing the girl from yesterday again.

“Oppa.” JiHyun called as she tugged DaeHyun’s hand. DaeHyun looked down at her and she continued, “Do you think the girl from yesterday will be at the playground again today ?” She asked, with a tone full of hope.

DaeHyun cocked his head to the side and tried to think of an answer. He didn’t want to say something that can bring his sister down but he didn’t want her to raise her hopes to high either. “I’m not quite sure, JiHyun. Maybe she’ll be there, and maybe she won’t. Let’s just hope that she is there, alright.” DaeHyun said and was satisfied when JiHyun nodded.

They continued walking and passed by some people who were either on their way to work or to school. JiHyun stood closer to her brother as the taller people were walking around and she was afraid that she might lose DaeHyun. As for her brother, he gripped onto JiHyun’s hand tighter so that she won’t get lost in the crowd.

After some difficulties walking in the middle of the crowded people, the two children finally managed to walk freely towards the park. JiHyun immediately got excited once the playground was on her sight. She was about to yank her hand free from DaeHyun’s grip when she remembered that she already promised not to run off again.

DaeHyun smiled as his sister was doing as promised and they both entered the playground, where they soon saw some toddlers and their parents playing around. JiHyun quickly searched for the girl who she played with yesterday. Her eyes wandered around the playground for the sight of her. Even DaeHyun was looking around as well, knowing how much his sister wanted to see the girl again.

But sadly, the girl was not there and JiHyun’s face fell a little. She knew that her brother said not to get her hopes up but she can’t help wishing that the girl was there again. The smile that she had on her face earlier slowly faded and her face remained expressionless instead.

Seeing his sister’s change of behaviour, DaeHyun chuckled and shook his head. “It’s okay, JiHyun ah. Maybe she had something to do. Who knows the next time we come, she’ll be here again ?” He said as he comforted his sister. He knew how sad JiHyun was not seeing the person she really wanted to see.

JiHyun only nodded obediently and looked around. Her face then lit up again as she pointed towards a swing. “Oppa ! I want to get on the swing. Can you help give me a push ?” JiHyun said excitedly. DaeHyun only nodded with a smile and did as she requested. He helped JiHyun up the swing and lightly pushed her from her back.

Laughters and giggles escaped from JiHyun’s lips as DaeHyun pushed her and she got higher and higher. “Hold on tight, JiHyun ah. Don’t ever let go or you’ll fall.” DaeHyun reminded when his sister’s laugh got louder and he was worried that her grip on the swing was loosening.

JiHyun replied happily that she was holding onto it tightly and suddenly asked, “Oppa, why aren’t we at school like other kids ?” Her question left DaeHyun in muteness as he didn’t see that coming.

DaeHyun sighed a little before he answered, “Because omma can’t afford it at the moment. But she’s doing her best right now. And she’s also working hard for your pills, the one you always take before you go to bed. At the moment, that is more important.”

JiHyun frowned a little, “Why do I have to take the pills, oppa ? They don’t taste nice at all. You and omma don’t take the pills. Only me. Why waste money on that ?” JiHyun kept asking non-stop as she soared higher when DaeHyun pushed her.

DaeHyun only shook his head with a smile hearing JiHyun’s question. His sister always had a lot of questions to ask and lucky enough he was very patient in answering each of them. He stopped pushing the swing and held onto it while helping JiHyun got down from it. The both of them then made their way to the slides, JiHyun’s favorite part of the playground.

“Because you need them, JiHyun ah. Do you remember that I told you before, you came out from omma’s tummy earlier than you should ? Well, because you were so impatient to see omma, appa, and me, you came out too early and your heart wasn’t prepared for it. The pills are helping your heart to be stronger.” DaeHyun explained as he watched JiHyun slide down from the slide with her hands up high.

JiHyun nodded slowly while trying to understand what DaeHyun just said. To DaeHyun, it was very essential to explain things very carefully to her as JiHyun sometimes found it hard to understand certain things if they sounded a bit complicated to her. Unlike him, JiHyun was a bit slow to pick some things up and complicated words were like Chinese arithmetic to her.

The two continued playing until JiHyun caught the sight of an elderly man was selling balloons and cotton candies. Her face lit up and said to her brother, “Oppa, do you still remember about the four wishes you gave me yesterday ?”

DaeHyun nodded as he clearly remembered about what he said last night. “Yes, I do. Why ? Do you want to make one wish now ?” He asked as he knew that there was something that must’ve triggered his sister, hence she asked about the wish.

JiHyun grinned from ear to ear as she nodded. DaeHyun laughed a little and nodded in acknowledgement. “Alright. What is your first wish ?” DaeHyun asked while crossing his arms. He hoped that his sister won’t be asking something that was impossible for him to do, even though he said he will try his best to make it come true.

JiHyun pointed towards the cotton candy stall and said. “I’ve been wanting to try it for a long time. Can I try some ?” JiHyun asked with a face full of hope while giving her brother her puppy eyes.

DaeHyun’s brows met as he was considering whether or not he should give his sister the cotton candy. The cotton candy must be tasting sweet and he was told not to give JiHyun any sweet things at the moment. However, he can’t stand the look in JiHyun’s eyes as she looked at it as if she was staring at a diamond.

“Maybe .. just give her a little taste won’t hurt.” DaeHyun mumbled to himself. He took JiHyun’s hand and brought her to the cotton candy stall, where some parents and toddlers started to gather around to buy the cotton candy and the balloons. There were not so many people at the stall. Only a few.

JiHyun noticed that the customers fished out some notes from their pockets as they were buying the cotton candy and balloons. And she was sure that DaeHyun didn’t have any of those with him. She pulled DaeHyun’s hand and her brother stood lower to her eye level as JiHyun whispered, “Oppa. We need money if we want to buy the cotton candy. I don’t think any of us have that at the moment, don’t we ? Let’s just go.”

DaeHyun softened at his sister’s words. It was true that they didn’t have any money to buy the cotton candy but he already had an idea going on through his mind on how to at least get her some of it.

He crouched in front of her and said, “It’s alright. I have an idea. I promised that I will try to grant your wishes right ? Just wait and see.” JiHyun’s eyes widened when she thought of the possible thing that DaeHyun might be doing. “Oppa, you’re not going to steal, are you ?” JiHyun whispered.

DaeHyun threw her a convincing smile and shook his head, meaning that that wasn’t what he was going to do. JiHyun just watched when DaeHyun went to the stall owner and said something to him. It wasn’t that clear for JiHyun to hear and she was just hoping that her brother won’t do anything stup

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter