Chapter 23

Passage Of Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The next morning, SungMi woke earlier than the rest of the household. The sun itself was still not rising yet and it was only near dawn. She sat up on her bed and rubbed her eyes with a yawn. She looked around her bedroom while trying to remember what happened the night before. The images were unclear and she only got bits and pieces of it. SungMi scratched her head and said to herself, “What happened yesterday?”

Then, little by little, she began to remember yesterday’s event. Right from the moment, she first met Mrs. .Jeon, whom she called Jeon Omma, to HyunWoo’s arrival when she got home, the fight in the living room, her dashing out of the house to DanBi’s and how she fell asleep there.

She also remembered SungHyun and HyunSik came to pick her up from DanBi’s house while she was sleeping. She was not fully awake when they came but she heard their voices when they were talking though it was not that clear. They took her home and she slept in until now.

“Wow. I slept for so long.” SungMi said to herself while getting out of the bed. Since she slept for so many hours, there was no way for her to continue sleeping now. Hence, she took a shower and changed before reminding herself to wash DanBi’s clothes that she borrowed later before returning them to her.  

SungMi looked around for her phone and smiled when she saw it on the dressing table. She unlocked the screen and saw many unread messages. SungMi tipped her head to the side, “Wow, I’ve never gotten this many unread messages before. This is the first time since the first day I bought a phone.” She said in amusement.

She opened her inbox and saw a message from DanBi and some from DaeHyun.  SungMi quickly read DanBi’s text that said Goodnight and hoping that she will get better soon. She typed a reply.

To: DanBi

Good morning, DanBi ah! Thank you for lending me your clothes yesterday and sorry for coming to your house like that.

After she sent the text, she opened DaeHyun’s messages and frowned to see so many images attached to his texts. The frown on her forehead soon disappeared and her lips curved up into a smile when she saw the pictures of DaeHyun and B.A.P playing around with children. According to DaeHyun’s text, they were at an orphanage to help paint the walls and they brought gifts to the orphans.

To: DaeHyun

Wah … I am so envious right now. You had better take DanBi and me along next time. I want to join in the fun too !!

Since it was still very early and she knew that none of them would reply immediately, SungMi kept her phone inside her pocket and quietly opened the door of her room. She peep her head outside the room and looked around. Only the lights in the corridors were on and the other rooms were still dark, so SungMi assumed that they must have still been sleeping.

As quietly as she could, SungMi tiptoed towards the second living room of the house and switched on the light. There was where the piano was and the living room was one of SungMi’s favorite rooms. Most of her family members did not really like to spend their time there and preferred to be in the main living room instead, where the argument happened yesterday.

Maybe it was because the main living room is on the first floor while the second was on the second floor.

SungMi sat on the piano bench and carefully lifted the fallboard. Her music sheets were already there on the music rack. Slowly and gently, SungMi began pressing the keyboard according to the notes that she already memorized by heart. The song was not complete yet, and she was determined to finish it that very morning.

SungMi played while pouring her heart and soul into the song, and slowly she began to feel that whatever sadness she felt yesterday, was starting to disappear. She still remembered about yesterday’s fight clearly. She still remembered HyunWoo’s hurtful words and HyunSik and SungHyun were trying to stand up for her.

She felt bad because the three of them were fighting because of her. She never wanted that to happen. She never wanted her brothers to fight but it always seemed to be like this every time. HyunWoo disliked her so much and always said things that offended her. However, each time that happened, SungHyun and HyunSik would always back her up but in the end, the three of them will fight instead.

As much as she loved her two brothers supporting her, SungMi always felt guilty that they fought because of her.

Why does HyunWoo oppa hate me so much? SungMi thought to herself as she kept on playing. Did I ever do anything wrong? It seems like he has already hated me ever since I was born. But why ?

The question, however, left unanswered as SungMi knew that only HyunWoo had the answers to that. She just did not know how to ask him and she herself was not sure whether she was ready for what HyunWoo might say. Somehow, SungMi could feel that whatever the reason was for HyunWoo to be treating her that way, it might not be a good one.

Trying to push the matter away from her mind, SungMi kept playing the song repeatedly, trying to figure out the right notes one after the other. She hoped that by giving this song her full concentration, it will not only help her to finish the song quickly, but to also maker her forget about what happened yesterday. She would stop occasionally to right the notes down on her music sheet, before rubbing them off with an eraser if it was not the right one.

She pressed this key and that key, silently giggled when it was the right one and grunted in annoyance if it was not. She would play from the beginning again to reconfirm that she found the right notes and continued from where she stopped. Time passed without her realizing and by the time she paused for a break, she saw HyunWoo coming out of his bedroom, nicely dressed for the day.

SungMi quickly looked out the window and noticed that the Sun would be up anytime soon. She turned to her brother who was passing by and cheerfully greeted, “Good morning, oppa !”

And as expected, HyunWoo only walked away without stopping to say ‘good morning’ too. It was as if HyunWoo had not noticed her there. HyunWoo walked down the stairs with SungMi’s eyes following him. SungMi shrugged to herself then before continued playing once HyunWoo was out of sight. As much as she hoped that her brother would say a word or two to her, somehow she was glad that at least HyunWoo did not say anything offensive that morning.  She would always try to make her brother talk to her, but preferred his silence instead of his stinging words.

Few minutes later, she heard footsteps walking towards her and SungMi stopped playing. She looked to her left and saw HyunSik waking towards the piano with a smile. From the look on his face was as if nothing actually happened the day before. SungMi could not believe how different HyunSik looked when he was in an angry mode and when he was not.

Yesterday, when HyunSik was in angry mode, it scared SungMi a little, as HyunSik was not always the kind to get flared up easily. Even SungHyun, who was in charge to be the strict one, was never that scary before.

“I can hear you playing right from my room. You were up very early.” HyunSik said before sitting on the piano bench next to her. “That’s a nice song, by the way. I always hear you playing that song. But then you seem to stop in the middle of it and start again from the beginning. That confuses me a little.”

SungMi smiled happily and replied, “It’s nice, isn’t it ? Well, it is not complete yet. I have not found the rest of the notes. That is why I keep stopping in the middle and play it from the beginning.”

HyunSik frowned a little and asked in amusement, “Wait, do you compose the song?”

SungMi quickly shook her head and explained, “No, I do not. I just … kind of heard it at school. Someone was playing it inside the music room but I didn’t get the chance to see who was playing it. I have no idea what’s the title or who composed the song but I like it so much. I even memorized the melody that very moment when I first listened to it. Now, I’m trying to write my own composition of the song but I still haven’t found the rest of the keys yet.”

HyunSik nodded his head in understanding and then said, “Okay, then. Come, I’ll help you.” He rolled up his sleeves and sat straighter on the bench, while looking at SungMi who seemed to be confused.

“Really ? You want to help me ?” SungMi asked in disbelief. She scooted to her right side a little to give her brother some more space and looked at HyunSik who still had a huge smile on his face. “I know that you can play th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter