Chapter 34

Passage Of Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The three of them exited the class when the bell rang during recess time, and both DanBi and Zelo were engrossed in filling SungMi in about what she’d missed in school. Most of the talking was done by Zelo, though, and DanBi only chimed in once in a while. SungMi was listening very closely and nodded her head occasionally, trying to remember everything that her friends had said at the same time.

Most of the stuff was not so important, however. They only stressed on the fact that she should keep up with her homework and quizzes, in order to do well in the upcoming exams. SungMi was worried about it at first, on how she can ever cope, and her friends seemed to read her mind.

“Don’t worry, SungMi. We’re here to help you. That’s what friends are for, right?” DanBi said, linking her arm with SungMi’s. Zelo nodded and threw her a supporting smile, agreeing with DanBi. Looking at her two friends back and forth, SungMi felt strength running through her veins again. Her friends will help her, she knew they will.

In her heart, SungMi felt thankful for a million times to have friends like DanBi and Zelo. She never thought that she would ever have any friends, and now, she didn’t know what she would do without them.

They began talking about random topics then before they realized that they had arrived at SungMi’s favorite tree, her much loved place in the school. Once she laid her eyes on the tree, SungMi sighed softly and went forward to hug it. Oh, she’d missed her tree all right. She’d spent years sitting under the tree alone whenever she had the time. Back when she was still friendless, so to speak.

The tree was her sanctuary, the only place where she could stay away from the other students who disliked her and always looked at her in disgust, because of her weird attitudes that time. It dawned on her then, that ever since she met DanBi and Zelo, she was no longer alone each time she spent time at the tree.

“I miss my tree!” She exclaimed, arms still circling the tree. She could hear laughter coming from DanBi and Zelo behind her, before another voice interrupted her special reunion with her tree, “Oh, look at that. We have a koala on the loose. Should we call the zoo-keeper?”

SungMi rolled her eyes, as she recognized the annoying voice very well. She let go of the tree and turned to look at the owner of the voice, who was snickering at her with the rest of his friends beside them. “Haha, very funny Kim.” SungMi replied, and met eyes with one of the new comers, who only smiled at her, to which she returned.

“Oh, you guys are here, too? When did you hyungs arrive?” Zelo asked, looking at all his hyungs with widened eyes. He was sure that the hyungs weren’t there when he, SungMi, and DanBi arrived, and he wondered how come they were there so suddenly.

“Well, actually, the five of us have been following the three of you from behind the minute you three went out of your class, but you were too busy talking to each other to even notice.” YongGuk said, and Zelo nodded his head while his mouth formed an ‘O’ shape.

“We haven’t hung out for quite some time and it would be nice to get together after so long.” YoungJae added, before raising his hand which was holding a big bag, containing lunch boxes. “We brought some food too; hopefully you guys don’t mind us sticking along.” He said with a grin.

SungMi smiled at him before taking the bag from his grip, “Of course not, especially that you brought food. Besides, the more the merrier.”

All of them ended up sitting in a circle and began eating the food that YoungJae brought. According to the lad, his mom cooked for all of them and besides feeling thankful towards YoungJae’s mom, SungMi felt a bit awkward too as she had never met YoungJae’s mom. But whatever the case was she made a mental reminder to thank the kind lady later.

They all ate in silence, and none uttered a word during the meal. They acted as if nothing had ever happened before, and all was still normal. None of them brought up the topic about SungMi’s memory that had returned, or anything that had to do with it. Somehow, or rather, most of them had to remind themselves that SungMi was still the girl they once knew, and nothing had changed though she now remembered her real identity.

However, the silence seemed to be a bit overwhelming for them as they were not used to it. Each time they were together, the atmosphere will be extremely noisy, and most times, it was hard to control. And that day, was one of the normal occasions.

“So, koala, how’s life?” HimChan asked casually, and all of them knew of whom he was referring. In fact, they knew too that this will definitely start a fight. Some of them sighed while shaking their heads, knowing where this was leading.

The said koala scoffed and sent him a smirk, before she asked in annoyance, “Oh is that going to be my nickname now?”

HimChan put on a sneer himself, before mockingly said, “Why? Don’t you like your new nickname? Then shall we change it to squirrel? Or crickets? What would you like? I still think koala suits you better, though.”

“Why does it have to be the name of an animal, for heaven’s sake?”

“Because the minute I saw you hugging the tree, the image of a koala immediately popped in my head. Not to deny the fact that you do look like a koala even without you hugging the tree.” He answered nonchalantly with a shrug, as if her question was asked by a five year old.

“I do not look like a koala.” She exclaimed in gritted teeth. Her glare was threatening for the others but HimChan was not affected by it at all. In fact, the boy seemed to be enjoying pushing her buttons. “Well … come to think of it again, of course you don’t.” He suddenly said, causing the others to look at him in confusion. They didn’t know that HimChan would give up that easily.

SungMi smirked in victory as she thought she had won without putting too much effort into the fight, “Why, thank you.”  

HimChan shrugged and munched a spoon of rice before casually replied, “Koalas have better nose.”

SungMi scoffed incredulously at his answer. “WHY YOU LITTLE-”

“SO! How’s my mom’s cooking? Why are you eating so little, SungMi? Eat some more!” YoungJae interrupted, by shoving a spoon full of rice into SungMi’s mouth, not allowing her to continue whatever she was saying.

SungMi’s eyes glowered at YoungJae, as she was tempted to have HimChan decapitated if it weren’t for YoungJae holding her back. YoungJae blanched as he knew that he wasn’t supposed to do that but he had to do something before the two started killing each other, starting from SungMi.

Since was full of rice, SungMi chewed them with her eyes still fixed on HimChan, as if saying: This isn’t over. You will die in my hands. HimChan smiled mockingly before he continued eating, and YoungJae started lecturing him for being so childish to create a fight with a girl.

DanBi and Zelo helped in fostering the peace that they had again, by talking about random things that had nothing to do with each other. YongGuk and DaeHyun who had been bystanders, smiled at DanBi and Zelo for their effort, meanwhile JongUp whined that the fight was over, as he was busy recording everything.

 

Meanwhile, back at home, SungHyun was busy trying to reach his older brother, and grunted each time HyunWoo didn’t pick up his phone. He had been trying for almost an hour, contacting whomever that might know where his brother was.

He had called everyone, and all of them claimed not to know of HyunWoo’s whereabouts. He had almost given up, and he decided to try again for the last time. Who knew, if there was a miracle or some sort.

He dialed HyunWoo’s number again and fate was on his side this time. SungHyun was extremely relieved that after trying for so long, HyunWoo finally picked up his phone. “Hyung! Where are you?” He asked, and in his voice, he did sound a little fatigued.

“I just got home. What is it?” HyunWoo asked back, and couldn’t help but to feel worry hearing his brother’s weary voice. He wished nothing had gone wrong, or he would feel guilty for leaving the house.

“Hyung, can you come home?” SungHyun pleaded. “Please, hyung. Please come home and visit omma.” HyunWoo frowned from the other line, but before he could ask why, SungHyun quickly filled him in about their mother’s condition.

SungHyun desperately wanting to ask on why none of them could reach HyunWoo for days, but he decided to push the matter behind. As long as HyunWoo picked up the call now, it was good enough for him. In fact, he didn’t have the strength to argue about it anyways.  

Once he was done, HyunWoo sighed, not expecting things to go this bad. He left the house so that everyone could be happy again, not this. Since he always hurt SungMi’s feelings, he left so that he didn’t have to hurt her anymore. And that he knew his mother was never really fond of him. That was why he decided to leave, as he wasn’t sure whether he could have his mother kept reminding him of his mistake, which had cost her daughter’s life.

“Hyung? Are you there? Can you come home and visit omma?” SungHyun asked again, jolted him back to the present.

HyunWoo sighed again.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter